Sony Vaio VPCF115FM Discussion: DSDT Injection

kizwan

787 posts in this topic

This was the objective of this thread: to see if we can make the internal LCD works by just modifying the dsdt. SNC device is very similar with AMW0 (Dell, Acer, etc) or ASUS010 or ATKD in ASUS laptop. I have successfully trigger a device in my computer which is controlled by AMW0 device thus making it is possible to do the same thing with VAIO. As I don't have VAIO laptop, so it is difficult for me to works. The only thing I can do is trial & error. I need volunteers to test the modified dsdt & get the results. From the results I can make further modification. If nobody interested to test, I don't see why it can be a problem to me & I can focus on to another important thing. Another thing you need to know, when I analyzed the graphic card ROM file, I got "LVDS is not initialized by driver" (or similar). Maybe Sony has done something to it & modified ROM is needed to get the graphic card to works with other OS than windows. So, we got a lot of theories here.

Hmm... I still don't get any results for ALC275. Were you going to test it?

No. It should be detected automatically. It will appear once we get the internal LCD working/recognized.

Can you try the modified DSDT & legacy kext for ALC275? I posted the package in the first post. Thank you.

hi i don't have lots of time actually but if you need a tester i'm here for snc testing

regards

@Kizwan

There is guy at the following thread who is saying he has 330M Graphics working with full QE/CI on a different VAIO, a Z series Z112. He attached his dsdt.dsl (it had a few warnings, which I was able to fix). I'm trying to boot my machine with his DSDT and it's almost working, I'm just stuck at "Still waiting for root device". So I don't have access just now to the edited DSDT, but it is NOT causing a KP!

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&a...0b65ed3f6613d32

@Kizwan

There is guy at the following thread who is saying he has 330M Graphics working with full QE/CI on a different VAIO, a Z series Z112. He attached his dsdt.dsl (it had a few warnings, which I was able to fix). I'm trying to boot my machine with his DSDT and it's almost working, I'm just stuck at "Still waiting for root device". So I don't have access just now to the edited DSDT, but it is NOT causing a KP!

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&a...0b65ed3f6613d32

I'll looking into it. Too bad he/she wouldn't share his/her experiences.

Looks like the instruction only for Insyde BIOS. I'm only have experience with Phoenix BIOS. I'm active in a couple of threads at notebookreview forum too.

TIPS: If you want to modify BIOS make sure you know how to recover it. There is a way to recover corrupted BIOS which is by using CRISIS disk. Steps to recover it, is not the same for all computer. You need to find the steps that working for your computer. Fortunately, it is google-able.

Looks like the instruction only for Insyde BIOS. I'm only have experience with Phoenix BIOS. I'm active in a couple of threads at notebookreview forum too.

TIPS: If you want to modify BIOS make sure you know how to recover it. There is a way to recover corrupted BIOS which is by using CRISIS disk. Steps to recover it, is not the same for all computer. You need to find the steps that working for your computer. Fortunately, it is google-able.

I'm thinking of going to Costco and getting an HP with similar specs and sellling this stupid Sony on eBay! I KNEW not to buy a Sony, and this is all throuble I get!

This is an incredible deal!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11539052&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670|78129&N=4033838 4294899772 4294967277&Mo=4&pos=1&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10590-Cat56670&topnav=://http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...670&topnav=

Good night! :(

Yes, really! This is a prime example of when someone really should have taken the time to share. SO MANY people stuck with this for so long. :(

Check out what I just found! This is major!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/47322...-menu-bios.html

Hi all. "He" is "me". I have the working Z112.

I did nothing in DSDT related to display/graphics. All my dsdt work was aimed at getting usb functional, the usual hpet fixes, etc.

As for the internal screen issue, this Z is the ONLY sony with nvidia I've seen where the internal screen is working fully with QE/CI. GraphicsEnabler in later chameleon builds supports it with no mods....NVEnabler supports it with no mods. All I had to do to get it working was install the 2010 Macbook update, reboot, and boom native resolution and QE/CI on the internal display.

In system profiler and also in Linux I note the the display config for the internal panel is indicated as displayport...instead of the typical lvds you would expect. This probably has something to do with the Z's hybrid graphics (I've disabled the Intel GPU until those drivers get sorted out).

Digging through Sony DSDT you see a lot of calls to SNC device (sny5001 IIRC). In the past it was believed that's where the issue was. This Sony ACPI device controlling backlight power state, etc.

Note I still have no backlight control and doubt I ever will as GFX0 seems to "own" the backlight in DSDT not DGPU.

Anyhow good luck.

That makes sense because the GT330m hybrid config is probably identical to that of the macbooks.

Too bad, but yea I'm beginning to think if you want a hackintosh this isn't the machine for you. Oh well, I'm kinda miffed about the Z series - it is and has everything I was hoping the F would have, and seems more like the Sony I had always heard about, than the Sony I got with the F lol.

It's not a bad machine, just not what I had hoped it'd be.

Hi all. "He" is "me". I have the working Z112.

I did nothing in DSDT related to display/graphics. All my dsdt work was aimed at getting usb functional, the usual hpet fixes, etc.

Hi Beaups,

Hey thanks for checking in with us all and explaining the situation to us. Well, at least you got "the most" working VAIO of all. I'm so glad you posted today; I thought there was something to your DSDT file and was going to spend (make that WASTE) the rest of the day trying to figure out how to make it work on my VPCF115FM. So I will stop.

Looks like mine is going on eBay and tomorrow I'm going to buy the HP DV8T with the massive 18" 1920x1080 screen from Costco.

Sorry to all VPCF115FM owners; if I'm not able to get this thing working before it sells on eBay, then I will be abandoning my support for it and switching my time and efforts to the DV8T.

Mammoth

p.s. I've always hated Sony and have refused to buy anything Sony for the last 15 years. This was Sony's chance to win me back; they have failed. I will never, every buy Sony products again. DONE!

@SONY On your F series laptops (and others while we are at it), F U!

I think it's your loss though, the dv8t may be hackintoshable but it's one fugly machine.

The Sony does look better and I really like the backlit keyboard. I tried to make it work, but it won't. If I want beauty, I can buy art, right I need a computer that will function as I need. I am a function over form kind of person.

Mammoth

The Sony does look better and I really like the backlit keyboard. I tried to make it work, but it won't. If I want beauty, I can buy art, right I need a computer that will function as I need. I am a function over form kind of person.

Mammoth

I wish you good luck with the new HP notebook. Let me know how it goes. :(

Anyway, is there any progress regarding my vaio DSDT kizwan?

If it's too hard or almost impossible, well I don't you to waste your time on it. I'm really grateful that your testing things though...

Thanks a bunch!

I've stopped messing around with it for the moment, and may be doing a factory restore soon.. half because my Windows retail install doesn't want to activate with the OEM key, and half because I'm too lazy to mess with it anymore. (I has real Macs anyway :P)

But then the other half of it is.. I LIKE messing with it, it's just FRUSTRATING GRRR!!!!

3 years, and you'd think somebody would have figured out how Sony does their LCDs by now. What would they have to benefit from by having an incredibly obscure LCD interface anyway?

I think it's sheer laziness. If you've noticed (HELLO PEOPLE), Windows doesn't get an EDID from the LCD (It NEVER does, and if you do a retail install you'll be stuck at 1280x1024 too because of the exact same reason!!!)

If you install the Nvidia drivers.. SAME STORY!

Why? BECAUSE SONY MADE A CUSTOM GEFORCE 330M DRIVER THAT MAKES A FAKE EDID FOR THE MONITOR!

*runs and hides* sorry for the caps, but yes.. that's the thing. A custom nvcap *may* do the trick, but you can go at DSDTs until you're blue in the face and I'm not sure they'll solve the issue.

I mean, it's no surprise because the external works anyway yes? Just that the internal *monitor* isn't being recognized at all.

Why? Like the Z they may be using displayport instead of LVDS, in which case our NVCAP values are very wrong. We have no ROM updates, and the Everest GPU dump may not be the thing anyway. The other issue is nobody really cares about this stuff, so it's not like programs exist that tell us how the display works in Windows.

That and, if nobody's figured out the FW which has been around forever, the chances of ever figuring out the F are next to nil. Sadly, the only laptops I'd gladly trade for would be a $500+ upgrade for me.

I think next time around I'll just go for a MBP, wish I could've done that this time but what I wanted (badly) and what I could afford were two totally different things. XD

Anyway, is there any progress regarding my vaio DSDT kizwan?

If it's too hard or almost impossible, well I don't you to waste your time on it. I'm really grateful that your testing things though...

Thanks a bunch!

Sorry, I didn't found any solution yet. I still believe it has to do with DSDT/ACPI problem but to be honest I doubt SNC is the one responsible to the internal LCD problem. The only problem to the internal LCD that can be caused by SNC device is screen brightness.

I want to ask your assistant. If you can get graphic card ROM files from working notebook, in your case NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, please post it here. I would like to analyze it. Thank you.

Hi Beaups,

Hey thanks for checking in with us all and explaining the situation to us. Well, at least you got "the most" working VAIO of all. I'm so glad you posted today; I thought there was something to your DSDT file and was going to spend (make that WASTE) the rest of the day trying to figure out how to make it work on my VPCF115FM. So I will stop.

Looks like mine is going on eBay and tomorrow I'm going to buy the HP DV8T with the massive 18" 1920x1080 screen from Costco.

Sorry to all VPCF115FM owners; if I'm not able to get this thing working before it sells on eBay, then I will be abandoning my support for it and switching my time and efforts to the DV8T.

Mammoth

p.s. I've always hated Sony and have refused to buy anything Sony for the last 15 years. This was Sony's chance to win me back; they have failed. I will never, every buy Sony products again. DONE!

If OSX is really that important to you, you should consider a macbook/pro. I've been hackintoshing for some time...outside of some netbooks it is VERY difficult, if not impossible to get everything working "properly". Sleep...p-states and c-states (important for most notebook owners), screen brightness control, etc. Just my $.02

Well Kizwan I guess you can keep up the good work with trying to get video working on this laptop. I'm going to try to figure out a solution to get at least audio out to function whether its with DSDT or figuring out a way with voodooHDA. If you need anything from the VPCF115FM laptop just ask and I'll get back to you asap.

Hi Beaups,

Mammoth

Hi Mammoth,

Thanks to you and Beaups for all your hard work and research on the Sony F series. I just placed a order for HP dv8t. I'm eagerly waiting for your work on dv8t and wanted to follow your footsteps in making a hackintoshed dv8t. Are you going to start a new thread on dv8t tutorial or did you already start one?

Thanks.

The EDID from my VPCF115FM btw..

Got this one from display asset manager:

Start Attribute
  Name = "Raw EDID w/o header"
  ID = 13
  Type = String(240)
  Storage = Specific
  Value = "367F2500000000002D0C010490241400EAA8E099574B92251C505400000001010101010101010101010101010101403880B4703840403C3C550068C810000018403880807138AA408080880068C810000018000000FC004E76696469612044656661756C000000FC007420466C61742050616E656C00001F"
End Attribute

This from Phoenix EDID designer:

EDID BYTES:

0x 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F

------------------------------------------------

00 | 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 04 21 25 00 00 00 00 00

10 | 2D 0C 01 03 90 24 14 00 EA A8 E0 99 57 4B 92 25

20 | 1C 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

30 | 01 01 01 01 01 01 40 38 80 B4 70 38 40 40 3C 3C

40 | 55 00 68 C8 10 00 00 18 40 38 80 80 71 38 AA 40

50 | 80 80 88 00 68 C8 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 FC 00 4E

60 | 76 69 64 69 61 20 44 65 66 61 75 6C 00 00 00 FC