Sony Vaio VPCF115FM Discussion: DSDT Injection

kizwan

787 posts in this topic

Mammoth, is there a way we can get a vanilla dsdt that hasn't been modified? I'd like to see the differences (Ie the changes they made) I think what we need to look at is the SNC device in the DSDT to get things working.

Thanks Dark for asking for this.

At first I thought, "OK, I have that file somewhere..." then I started wondering how accurate the file I DID have (if I could even determine which one WAS the clean, unaltered DSDT file) actually was. So, here is what I did:

@Kizwan

I have created brand new CLEAN DSDT files for the VPCF115FM/B and this time I did it from Windows using the latest version of iASL for Windows found at this link:

ACPIA.org - iASL for Windows

Here are the new, untouched VPCF115FM/B DSDT files:

RAW_DSDT_VPCF115FM.zip

Mammoth

kizwan,

I have a codec dump from ubuntu for both the ALC275 and HDMI audio, would you like to look at it and see if enabling audio via DSDT is possible, just holler if you want them (for VPCF115FM)

Hi Phantom, thank you for the codec dump. These are the modified DSDT, legacy kext for ALC275 as well as 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext (patched with ALC275 device ID) for Sony VAIO VPCF115FM. Please refer to Readme.rtf file & the instructions below for further information. No audio through HDMI yet because HDMI audio device is completely different device. Please let me know the results. Thank you.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0lntwmjiwjz

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmyygzlzmwm

(EDIT) Instructions:-

- Copy the modified dsdt.aml file in the package to the designated location.

- Copy the legacy kext (ALC275F115FM_106_V1.kext or ALC275F115FM_106_V2.kext) to Extra folder.

- If you're using 10.6.3, you will require to replace the AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder with the one included in the package.

- Please try both V1 & V2.

Notes:-

- With V1 probably the internal mic will not working. This is because it connected to Audio Selector instead Audio Mixer.

- With V2 I tried to get both internal & external mic working.

For the results, please provide ioreg (using IORegistryExplorer) & System Profiler dump.

Thanks Dark for asking for this.

At first I thought, "OK, I have that file somewhere..." then I started wondering how accurate the file I DID have (if I could even determine which one WAS the clean, unaltered DSDT file) actually was. So, here is what I did:

@Kizwan

I have created brand new CLEAN DSDT files for the VPCF115FM/B and this time I did it from Windows using the latest version of iASL for Windows found at this link:

ACPIA.org - iASL for Windows

Here are the new, untouched VPCF115FM/B DSDT files:

RAW_DSDT_VPCF115FM.zip

Mammoth

I also managed to extract untouched DSDT via Windows, and I'm attaching now, might be helpful...

dsdt_VAIO_windows.zip

@Kizwan

So I have connected my VPCF115FM/B up to my HDTV via the HDMI out and created a new System Profile and IOReg dump. This just seems crazy, as it really seems like we should be able to get the laptop display to work. In the System Profiler dump, look of course at the Graphics/Displays section, as we all have, but also look at the PCI Cards section! There are 2 graphics devices listed there. On the one that is connected via HDMI, under "Driver Installed" at the top, that one says "Yes" for driver installed but the other one says "No". For Card, both are shown detected as "Unknown".

The way my system is working is, to get 1280 x 1024 output on the laptop display, I do NOT invoke GraphicsEnabler=Yes (in other words, it defaults to "No"). If I want the display on the HDMI connector (and maybe the VGA connector, but I haven't tried that), then on boot up from Chameleon I invoke GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Here are the System Profiler and IORegExplorer dumps that show this.

VPCF115FMonHDMIDumps.zip

THANK YOU!

:rolleyes:

@Kizwan

So I have connected my VPCF115FM/B up to my HDTV via the HDMI out and created a new System Profile and IOReg dump. This just seems crazy, as it really seems like we should be able to get the laptop display to work. In the System Profiler dump, look of course at the Graphics/Displays section, as we all have, but also look at the PCI Cards section! There are 2 graphics devices listed there. On the one that is connected via HDMI, under "Driver Installed" at the top, that one says "Yes" for driver installed but the other one says "No". For Card, both are shown detected as "Unknown".

The way my system is working is, to get 1280 x 1024 output on the laptop display, I do NOT invoke GraphicsEnabler=Yes (in other words, it defaults to "No"). If I want the display on the HDMI connector (and maybe the VGA connector, but I haven't tried that), then on boot up from Chameleon I invoke GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

I think it is not working because driver is not loaded for "NVDA,Parent" device. I noticed that none of the device IDs for both devices is in NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist and/or NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist. Try put both device IDs in both kext files & see what happen. One other thing is that it missing "attached-gpu-control-path" under NGFX@0 & "gpu-control" under NVDA,Display-A@0 in your ioreg. These are what you should see in the ioreg:-

aspire9420gpucontrol01.png

aspire9420gpucontrol02.png

I think it is not working because driver is not loaded for "NVDA,Parent" device. I noticed that none of the device IDs for both devices is in NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Hmmm. I have been wondering about NVDANV50Hal.kext because the new MacBook Pro Update 1.3 is supposed to have all the updated files needed to natively support the GT 330M. I'm puzzled because I thought that once I installed 1.3 update, my GPU would just work, but was surprised when that did not happen. If you are saying there are no references to the GT 330M in NVDANV50Hal, then why is OS X insisting on loading it when there SHOULD be appropriate drivers available now from the 1.3 update? Where do you think the disconnect is? Isn't my assumption correct that the correct drivers should be able to be found and used now?

I am going to try changing the ID's and such and let you know the results,

again, I TRULY thank you for your help and appreciate all that you are doing for me. I am killing myself working on this thing solid now for the past two weeks. It is you that provide me hope that we may be able to get this to work.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH KIZWAN!!!!

:)

Hmmm. I have been wondering about NVDANV50Hal.kext because the new MacBook Pro Update 1.3 is supposed to have all the updated files needed to natively support the GT 330M. I'm puzzled because I thought that once I installed 1.3 update, my GPU would just work, but was surprised when that did not happen. If you are saying there are no references to the GT 330M in NVDANV50Hal, then why is OS X insisting on loading it when there SHOULD be appropriate drivers available now from the 1.3 update? Where do you think the disconnect is? Isn't my assumption correct that the correct drivers should be able to be found and used now?

I am going to try changing the ID's and such and let you know the results,

again, I TRULY thank you for your help and appreciate all that you are doing for me. I am killing myself working on this thing solid now for the past two weeks. It is you that provide me hope that we may be able to get this to work.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH KIZWAN!!!!

:)

hi mammoth

as i've said later this is not a nvdriver problem it doesn't change anything to add device id in nv50dahn

if you boot in verbose mode with any injector or enabler internal shows verbose mode but when he loads the graphic card internal screen is disabled and i have hdtv sony wich had same kind of edid than laptop screen ,i have hdmi and vga out and ican plug two working monitors without internal screen ,in display preferece calbrate you can save theprofile of your monitor it diasapears when enabler is injected that shows it s not a nvcap problem

the track to search is snc that enable backlight hot keys; card reader;and INTERNAL display

sony firmware extension parser

can you make a guide to extract with iasl because i' ve tried but don t understand how it work because i want to compare them with those from dsdtse and others of vaio found on internet to see if sfep or snc appears

regards

hi mammoth

as i've said later this is not a nvdriver problem it doesn't change anything to add device id in nv50dahn

if you boot in verbose mode with any injector or enabler internal shows verbose mode but when he loads the graphic card internal screen is disabled and i have hdtv sony wich had same kind of edid than laptop screen ,i have hdmi and vga out and ican plug two working monitors without internal screen ,in display preferece calbrate you can save theprofile of your monitor it diasapears when enabler is injected that shows it s not a nvcap problem

the track to search is snc that enable backlight hot keys; card reader;and INTERNAL display

sony firmware extension parser

can you make a guide to extract with iasl because i' ve tried but don t understand how it work because i want to compare them with those from dsdtse and others of vaio found on internet to see if sfep or snc appears

regards

I agree with jlvaio, the path we need to go after is with SFEP or rather SNC, I've looked at a vanilla dsdt file and we can see that there is a device called SNC and there are alot of methods in there that control more hardware. The question is do we only need to modify the DSDT to get it to work, or will we need a driver altogether.

One other thing is that it missing "attached-gpu-control-path" under NGFX@0 & "gpu-control" under NVDA,Display-A@0 in your ioreg. These are what you should see in the ioreg:-

Do these need to be added in DSDT?

Thanks,

Mammoth

I agree with jlvaio, the path we need to go after is with SFEP or rather SNC, I've looked at a vanilla dsdt file and we can see that there is a device called SNC and there are alot of methods in there that control more hardware. The question is do we only need to modify the DSDT to get it to work, or will we need a driver altogether.

This was the objective of this thread: to see if we can make the internal LCD works by just modifying the dsdt. SNC device is very similar with AMW0 (Dell, Acer, etc) or ASUS010 or ATKD in ASUS laptop. I have successfully trigger a device in my computer which is controlled by AMW0 device thus making it is possible to do the same thing with VAIO. As I don't have VAIO laptop, so it is difficult for me to works. The only thing I can do is trial & error. I need volunteers to test the modified dsdt & get the results. From the results I can make further modification. If nobody interested to test, I don't see why it can be a problem to me & I can focus on to another important thing. Another thing you need to know, when I analyzed the graphic card ROM file, I got "LVDS is not initialized by driver" (or similar). Maybe Sony has done something to it & modified ROM is needed to get the graphic card to works with other OS than windows. So, we got a lot of theories here.

Hmm... I still don't get any results for ALC275. Were you going to test it?

Do these need to be added in DSDT?

No. It should be detected automatically. It will appear once we get the internal LCD working/recognized.

Can you try the modified DSDT & legacy kext for ALC275? I posted the package in the first post. Thank you.

This was the objective of this thread: to see if we can make the internal LCD works by just modifying the dsdt. SNC device is very similar with AMW0 (Dell, Acer, etc) or ASUS010 or ATKD in ASUS laptop. I have successfully trigger the device in my computer which controlled by AMW0 device thus making it is possible to do the same thing with VAIO. As I don't have VAIO laptop, so it is difficult for me to works. The only thing I can do is trial & error. I need volunteers to test the modified dsdt & get the results. From the results I can make further modification. If nobody interested to test, I don't see why it can be a problem to me & I can focus on to another important thing. Hmm... I still don't get any results for ALC275. Were you going to test it?

No. It should be detected automatically. It will appear once we get the internal LCD working/recognized.

Can you try the modified DSDT & legacy kext for ALC275? I posted the package in the first post. Thank you.

Hi kizwan, have you checked the latest ioreg dump I've uploaded? Because I'm still interested in volunteering to test your DSDT...thanks

Hi kizwan, have you checked the latest ioreg dump I've uploaded? Because I'm still interested in volunteering to test your DSDT...thanks

Yes I have. Thanks for the results. :rolleyes: I'm currently collecting information from working VAIO models. Lot of them have modified dsdt & I'm going to see what they have done. I will post the modified dsdt for you to test when it ready.

Hi Kizwan,

Yes, I am testing now and will let you know!

Mammoth

I tried version 2 first, but all it does is hang my machine at DSMOS HAS ARRIVED.

I have to leave for the night, but I will be testing a lot tomorrow!

Mammoth

@Kizwan & @PTDM

I have been working all day on this... no progress worth reporting yet. I REALLY want to get this working. I am now trying to get it to work the way ExtraSpeed from Hachint0sh.org said he got it to work on a Sony VAIO.

@PTDM

What method, or how, are you "clearing caches"? I will try it your way to see if it makes a difference.

@Kizwan

I discovered today that in the System Profiler on a real MacBook Pro (6,1) NO information about video cards shows up under "PCI Cards", but on our VAIO, both do. Could that be significant or helpful information to know?

Thanks both,

Mammoth

@Kizwan & @PTDM

I have been working all day on this... no progress worth reporting yet. I REALLY want to get this working. I am now trying to get it to work the way ExtraSpeed from Hachint0sh.org said he got it to work on a Sony VAIO.

Please explain to me how you installed the ALC275 package?

I discovered today that in the System Profiler on a real MacBook Pro (6,1) NO information about video cards shows up under "PCI Cards", but on our VAIO, both do. Could that be significant or helpful information to know?

That is just cosmetic, when you use GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Please explain to me how you installed the ALC275 package?

That is just cosmetic, when you use GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

To install v2, this is what I tried:

1) Replaced my current DSDT.aml with one from v2. This is on my Chameleon /Extra/DSDT.aml

2) Also copied ALC275F115FM_106_V2.kext to /Extra/ folder

3) Dragged AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E to trash. Copied AppleHDA.kext from v2 to S/L/E

4) Dragged AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E to KextHelper, password, Easy Install

5) Open Disk Utility, Repair Permissions on OS X volume

6) Restart

Mammoth:

To make things simple I use pfix, after messing with any kexts.

kizwan:

I replaced my dsdt with the ones in both files, I copied AppleHDA.kext to /S/L/E, and I copied the other kext to /E/E/.

after which I ran pfix to rebuild caches and repair permissions.

Neither one works and both cause the system to not boot up, and I believe it may be an issue with the DSDT but I'm not sure, I'll experiment with it tomorrow by removing each file one by one and see which allows us to boot.

also what is the status with video? is there anything that you need from me?

To install v2, this is what I tried:

3) Dragged AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E to trash. Copied AppleHDA.kext from v2 to S/L/E

4) Dragged AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E to KextHelper, password, Easy Install

Actually you can/should do like this:-

3) Dragged AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E to trash or somewhere else.

4) Dragged AppleHDA.kext from V2 to KextHelper, enter password, Easy Install.

Please check permission of the legacy kext (in Extra folder). To make sure successful loading, boot with -f. I was hoping V1 will make most of the input & output working. V2 was for trying (experiment) to make the internal & external mic working if you have mic problem with V1. If you can upload your kernel & system log file (/var/log/kernel.log & /var/log/system.log), I can determine either the kexts actually loading during boot or not. Make sure VoodooHDA.kext or HDAEnabler.kext or similar are not installed.

@PTDM

Which version of PFix are you using? I'm on their page now and they are saying there have been problems they have discovered with 2.x versions and now they have a new 3.0 version. I'm going to give it a try.

I was hoping V1 will make most of the input & output working.

OK, I'm going to try v1 now and then bed for me. :D

Give me a bit and let you know what happens.

Mammoth

also what is the status with video? is there anything that you need from me?

No update yet. I have read sonypi source code & I don't find any information related to internal LCD except for backlight, brightness & hotkey (function & multimedia key). The dsdt taken from windows is identical with the one Mammoth give me earlier (before this thread started). I'm also reading the SNC codes in the dsdt & the only things I found related to display/gpu are backlight & brightness. It doesn't have display switching too.

cloud03's dsdt have _Q28 method in it, which I believe responsible in internal LCD or active video device detection but I don't know how yet.

For sure all of the ioreg dump posted in this thread missing primary gpu control.

Another thing we can try is load a working GT 330M ROM file using chameleon boot flag. Another thing we can try is load a working GT 330M ROM file, which is taken from a working notebook (confirmed works with QE & CI on internal LCD), using chameleon boot flag. Of course this has been tried by other people (with different nvidia GPU on VAIO) but failed.

Just found the following link. Thought it might possibly provide some useful info:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/tec...010/tn2267.html

It's not looking good. : (

I see some errors relating to "ALC885", but then it just hangs the machine after 4 Sound assertion errors. Failures at lines 154 and 333

Sound assertion "0 == converterWidget" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/APPLEhda-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAFunctionGroupALC885.cpp" at line 154 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/APPLEhda-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAFunctionGroupALC885.cpp" at line 333 goto ExitError

Sound assertion "0 == converterWidget" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/APPLEhda-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAFunctionGroupALC885.cpp" at line 154 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != err" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/APPLEhda-184.4.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDAFunctionGroupALC885.cpp" at line 333 goto ExitError

and then hung.

Here are Sys and kernel logs

Sys_KernLogs.zip

Mammoth

:D

and then hung.

@Phantom & @Mammoth,

Too bad it doesn't works. There are a couple of anomaly in the codec dump & the one really stand out is internal mic. I'll generate another two sets of kext & dsdt; 1) Removed internal mic, 2) Removed both internal & external mic. At least we try to get the output working.

If Voodoo sound kext is working much better than the legacy kext I generated, I think you should use it instead.