you need: a USB-drive with minimum 8 GB, a working machine with os x or a distro that allows the boot option cpus=1 - (kaly 10.5.2 is the best choice - IPC doesn´t work) Tinker Tool from here chameleon RC2 431.mpkg and Cameleon RC3 658 (important!) and an official Snow Leo DVD - I won´t support anyone using a distro as main install
Bios: there are not too many things you could change in this bios - only must is AHCI instead of IDE
step A - prepairing the USB drive
method 1 - using an available os x machine
1.format the USB drive with MBR and HFS (Mac Extended Journaled)
2.start Tinker Tool and apply "show hidden files"
3.now boot the distro and go to System>installation>packages
4.start osinstall.mpkg and choose the USB drive to install
5.shrink the installation down to a minimum to fit on the USB (no languages,no printers etc.) only option you might check is X3100 graphics if available (not really important)
6. when os x install is done, install *chameleon RC2 to the new USB drive.
7. now go to USB root and delete the "boot" file
8. copy the "boot" file from *chameleonRC3>i386 to USB root.
9. copy the working dsdt.aml to USB/ Extra
method 2 - using the distro
1.plug in the USB drive to your acer
2.boot into the os x distro using options -v cpus=1
3.format the USB drive with MBR HFS (Mac Extended Journaled)
4.uncheck everything to shrink the installation down to a minimum to fit on the USB (no languages,no printers etc.) only option you might check is X3100 graphics if available (not really important)
step B - installing Snow Leo
1.boot into your USB drive with options -v cpus=1
2.finish setup and copy Tinker Tool to desktop (you might need a second smaller USB drive)
3.format the HD you will use for SL with GUID and HFS (Mac Extended Journaled)
4.start Tinkertool, check show hidden files and apply.
5. now start the SL DVD
6. in SL DVD go to System>installation>packages
7. start osinstall.mpkg and choose the drive to Install SL. uncheck the printer drivers, otherwise installation will fail.
8. install should be done in 30 minutes - don´t reboot
9. install *chameleon RC2 to the new SL drive.
10. when done go to SL root and delete the "boot" file
11. copy the "boot" file from *chameleonRC3>i386 to SL root.
12. copy the working dsdt.aml to SL/ Extra
12. replace the kexts in SL/Extra/Extensions with the attached files
13. replace the com.apple.boot.plist in Extra with attached file
14. it won´t be possible to repair disk permission in SL, without the last step:
go to the SL DVD again and reinstall the BSD.pkg (also in System>installation) from the DVD.
15. now reboot with option -v
you should have now a working SL
don´t worry about the resolution for the moment
you have a dsdt, so a regular update shouldn´t be a problem
> 10.6.1 you will have now fully working graphics - no patches needed
> 10.6.2 don´t worry just do it
> 10.6.3 before you start the update, backup all your GMA x3100 extensions because in 10.6.3 x3100 extensions work only in 32 bit mode - just in case you need them
EDIT: to make your system safe in any case, install first Snow Leo also to the USB drive and replace the kaly 10.5.2 install,using the same procedure, or copy the new SL install with Carbon Copy (as long it´s small enough)
from within this "maintenace install" you could easily repair any problems and redo any updates in case it didn´t work the regular way.
important: this works only from an other Snow Leo install !
now use kext utility to install the kexts from attached S/L/E
you will have working graphics, sound , battery, speedstepping and sleep. the webcam only works with iChat USB extension
because the bios doesn´t have any options to change USB settings, the acer 6292 won´t boot with two cores without the option USBBusfix=yes ( I added it already in the boot.com.plist) for install you can use also cpus=1
don´t use any other chameleon versions than 658 at the moment !!!
older versions don´t have the USB fix and 640 gives a kernel panic, for some strange reason 684 stucks at boot sometimes
atattched VoodooHDA will work - there is no better solution for now
if you don´t use dsdt with cmos reset fix, the bios will always be reset !
if you are going to try this on an other machine don´t install the attached dsdt.aml - it´s for the acer 6292 only!
use instead disabler.kext and put in Extra. download DSDTSE an extract your own DSDT with it. you can patch
it very easily yourself. also you could use the attached dsdt.aml to compare
acer_6292_SL_1.zip 1.04MB 325 downloads
acer_6292_SL_2.zip 1.79MB 286 downloads
LAN fixed ! - workin with these extensions
IOPCIFamily_113.zip 154.92KB 306 downloads
10.6.3.5787M.zip 180.79KB 285 downloads
- got rid of it again, because it´s slowing down usb speed in general - so it was no real solution
IOUSBFamily.kext.zip 1.02MB 265 downloads