Portal for Mac crashes.

12 posts in this topic

So Steam for mac released and I decided to give it a whirl and play some portal since I want to see the new ending.

anyways I get it downloaded, Steam crashes. I launch it again and now just Portal crashes. it won't launch

hl2_osx quit unexpectedly.

Specs:

AMD Phenom X4 9150e (quad)

Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT

4 GB DDR2 ram

It just came out so I don't know if there is going to need some CPUIDs to patch in the future.

I can’t even get portal to launch. It says my hardware isn’t supported, then when I click “show minimum requirements” nothing happens.

Steam is by far the most hackintosh unfriendly app i’ve run across.

Steam is by far the most hackintosh unfriendly app i’ve run across.

Not quite sure why you say that.

Works perfectly for me and many others with hacks as can be seen over at the Steam forums.

Portal works like a dream for me. Everything maxxed and very smooth fps @ 1900x1200.

Best thing that has happened for OS X, IMHO. Maybe a Window-less world is getting closer - for me at least.

BTW, from the Portal requirements:

Minimum: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8 or higher, or ATI X1600 or higher, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Works perfectly for me and many others with hacks as can be seen over at the Steam forums.

Portal and Torchlight run like a dream here. Later I'll try on the P4 running 10.5.8

/EDIT

Looks like I can forget about that - 7xxx series Nvidia cards are not supported:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=5376-EOSB-3763

Steam will not run on my iMac either. Its icon appears in the Dock but goes unresponsive immediately--must be force quit. Nothing ever appears on the screen. 100% reproducible. It's an iMac 20" C2D (iSight) running 10.5.8. So I don't think this problem is to do with hackintoshes, it's a fundamental problem with Steam. I think we're seeing a Beta product here folks, not a polished final.

There's no point in using language like 'it's a fundamental problem with Steam'.

It's not 'fundamental' at all. You and a few others may be having a problem, but the vast majority of posters on the Steam forums are not.

10.5.8 users seem to be having the problem more than the Snow users.

http://osx86.net/f12/steam-for-mac-platform-t6123/

According to this topic, moving QuickTimeH264.component out of /System/Library/QuickTime is a workaround for now. Just tested this and Portal indeed runs fine after doing this. This got me thinking, Portal crashes when displaying the Valve intro movie... So Portal should be able to run with the component file in the QuickTime folder, as long as that movie will not play.

So, after adding -novid to the launch options (Right click Portal in Steam > Properties > Set Launch Options > -novid > OK) of Portal it runs fine with the component in the QuickTime folder. :(

• 3 months later...
http://osx86.net/f12/steam-for-mac-platform-t6123/

According to this topic, moving QuickTimeH264.component out of /System/Library/QuickTime is a workaround for now. Just tested this and Portal indeed runs fine after doing this. This got me thinking, Portal crashes when displaying the Valve intro movie... So Portal should be able to run with the component file in the QuickTime folder, as long as that movie will not play.

So, after adding -novid to the launch options (Right click Portal in Steam > Properties > Set Launch Options > -novid > OK) of Portal it runs fine with the component in the QuickTime folder. :)

you are brilliant!

• 3 weeks later...