I found out two improvements in the last days and thought I should post them here. I'm running 10.6.8 with AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.6.7. I've read about changing some _ADR to _UID in the PCI scope of the DSDT so that you can use the 10.6.8 PCI kexts but didn't try it yet.1. Bad graphics performance with Nvidia G210m:
I always had bad graphics performance very easily noticeable when watching videos with Quicktime. Huge lagging! VLC was always OK. I would also notice it when I would activate hardware acceleration in the Flash settings and watching a 720 or 1080p video on youtube. I cam across the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (AGPM) in S/L/E. By deleting it the performance was really good, no more lags but the GPU got quite hot. It always runs on the highest power state without this kext. After reading this thread here (AGPM on Fermi laptop
) I adopted the device ID in the AGPM kext to the ID of the G210m. Depending on what model you set in the SMBIOS.plist (I set it to MacbookPro6,2) you have to change the ID in the matching category in the Info.plist of the kext. I took the first one "Vendor10deDevice0a29" and changed it to "Vendor10deDevice0a74
". You can also change the thresholds for the different power states there but so far I go with the legacy ones and I'm quite happy. Normal temperatures and no more lags! You can try the Dirt 2 demo out if you want 2. Kernel Panics caused by VoodooHDA
I randomly got KPs during boot caused by VoodooHDA. I got them pretty often, around 50% of boot attempts. I figured out that they were caused by VoodooHDA trying to initialize the Nvidia HDMI output. I changed the Info.plist of the VoodooHDA.kext to match the Conexant Hermosa chip of the G550. You don't have to put the IDs of the Conexant chip (Vendor ID 14f1, Device ID 5051) but rather the ones of the Intel controller (Vendor ID 8086, Device ID 293e). You need to change the key name from IOPCIClassMatch to IOPCIMatch. So the entry in my Info.plist looks like this:
By this, only the Conexant Audio gets initialized and not the Nvidia HDMI audio which often leads to KPs in my case.
So they only thing still missing is the automatic switching between headphones and speakers. Oh and I took Slice's VoodooHDA. A strange thing that I noticed: Don't change the VoodooHDAVerboseLevel to 2, it resulted in KPs, too. I just set it to 1.
I'm really happy that I got rid of the KPs and no more lags. Besides of the missing auto switch a perfect machine now