Alienware M17X

70 posts in this topic

Okay thanks :(

I'm still enjoying mac on my m17x, incredible, thx once again ^^

One another question : Can I upgrade Mac Leopard to Mac Snow Leopard ? Even if I buy a retail DVD from Apple Store ?

I've never really tried it that way. I would just try a fresh install using the tutorial. Either way, Snow Leopard needs it's own hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a successful install of Leopard (iAtkos_7) on my M17x with the following specs:

QX9300

Dual 260M SLI

4 GB RAM

Bluetooth

I followed your guide - thanks very much for posting this! It sees the CPU as an Intel Xeon Quad Core, and recogizes two GPUs (using one). Sounds works great. I primarily use OSX86 to run Everquest Mac edition and it's very smooth with max settings and sound working. My Belkin N52 gamepad works fine as well.

Now to properly configure the dual boot - right now I have the OSX HD as the first in boot sequence, and I have to F12 to get Chameleon to come up (thought that was odd) to choose boot drive. I'll do EasyBCD today, assuming that Win7/OSX86 on separate drives won't be an issue.

I'll check the HDMI on an external display this evening also.

I followed your guide - thanks very much for posting this! It sees the CPU as an Intel Xeon Quad Core, and recogizes two GPUs (using one). Sounds works great. I primarily use OSX86 to run Everquest Mac edition and it's very smooth with max settings and sound working. My Belkin N52 gamepad works fine as well.

Internal Speakers working?

• 2 months later...

I wanted to instal Leopard on my M17x R2, all what i see here is people with R1 (if i am not wrong); does anybody test this on the R2 ? . . . Im going to install Leopard cause im not able to get the Snow leopard CD on my country, i hope this guide works for me, or, if someone with an Alienware have an extra help will be great; by the way my mahine specs are on my sig :)

I'm using the empire efi method to try and install SL. However, every time i load up empire efi, it throws a kernel panic, "Unable to find driver for this platform: 'ACPI' ". I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this or how i should setup my M17x for the installation: BIOS setup, etc.

I'm using the empire efi method to try and install SL. However, every time i load up empire efi, it throws a kernel panic, "Unable to find driver for this platform: 'ACPI' ". I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this or how i should setup my M17x for the installation: BIOS setup, etc.

It's been a long time since I've done this, but I think that's normal. The Empire EFI method can take a long time and at multiple points during the installation, it will seem as though it crashed, but eventually the disc will start spinning again and the installation will move forward.

I not sure if this would work, but maybe you should consider using a external dvd drive just for the purposes of the installation. A couple of years ago, i was installing Tiger on my old HPZD8000. The DVD drive was so slow, I bought one from Staples. Then it worked like a charm. After I was finished, I just returned it and got my money back.

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my Alienware one week ago and bought myself the 17 inch macbook pro from apple.

The Hackint0sh scene does a great job and it was very interesting for me hacking my alienware m17x but

i have to work on my machine and so i was tired of hacking my machine again after every os x update..

The Macbook Pro is sooo much better than a alienware ;) (my point of view...)

i will buy myselft a dell mini 10v, as a subnotebook which is the best netbook to install SL on it..

• 2 weeks later...
I sold my Alienware one week ago and bought myself the 17 inch macbook pro from apple.

The Hackint0sh scene does a great job and it was very interesting for me hacking my alienware m17x but

i have to work on my machine and so i was tired of hacking my machine again after every os x update..

The Macbook Pro is sooo much better than a alienware ;) (my point of view...)

i will buy myselft a dell mini 10v, as a subnotebook which is the best netbook to install SL on it..

Did you really have to hack it after every update? The updates for me haven't been a problem. I did have an isssue, but that was only when I had the sleep enabler kext on.

Congratulations on the MBP. It's a great laptop. I use OSX for work as well, and the hackintosh m17x has been good for me and I still enjoy gaming on windows, but the portability of the MBP is awesome.

hang im back!

finally got motivated to get everything installed.

i cant get the wireless installed... its intel 6300 wifi

I need help with the sound. I tried the snow leopard sound you have here... when i have the dsdt.aml file in the extra folder I cannot boot at all... i get stuck at the apple logo with circle stop sign. Let me know if there is a work around.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
hang im back!

finally got motivated to get everything installed.

i cant get the wireless installed... its intel 6300 wifi

I need help with the sound. I tried the snow leopard sound you have here... when i have the dsdt.aml file in the extra folder I cannot boot at all... i get stuck at the apple logo with circle stop sign. Let me know if there is a work around.

Thanks!

I don't know what to say man, I know you're running with the R2, so things might act a little differently.

Maybe just check the instructions and try again?

Sorry I can't be of further assistance. If you get it working though, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I've got problems with the graphics. I own a M17xR1 with one gt260m.

I've installed the the EFI 10.5 with a pkg-file, so i haven't found a boot.plist (couldn't open the pkg by itself)

and installed the graphicsenabler from netkas.

now the systemprofiler says this:

NVIDIA Graphics Card:

Chipsatz-Modell:	NVIDIA Graphics Card
 Typ:	Monitor
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe-Lane-Breite:	x8
 VRAM (gesamt):	1024 MB
 Hersteller:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Geräte-ID:	0x0618
 Versions-ID:	0x00a2
 ROM-Version:	netkas.org
 Monitore:
Monitor:
 Auflösung:	1024 x 768
 Farbtiefe:	32-Bit Farbe
 Core Image:	Software
 Hauptmonitor:	Ja
 Synchronisierung:	Aus
 Eingeschaltet:	Ja
 Quartz Extreme:	Nicht unterstützt
Monitoranschluss:

now you see my Resolution (Auflösung) is 1024x768 which is to low. I've got a 1440x800 screen.

neither working QE nor a external monitor.

what should I do, is there any help?

thank you in advance

Shiekah

Hello everybody,

I've got problems with the graphics. I own a M17xR1 with one gt260m.

I've installed the the EFI 10.5 with a pkg-file, so i haven't found a boot.plist (couldn't open the pkg by itself)

and installed the graphicsenabler from netkas.

now the systemprofiler says this:

what should I do, is there any help?

thank you in advance

Shiekah

1st, do me a favor and delete those error boxes from the thread.

But from what you're explaining, you probably shouldn't have installed 10.5 from a pkg file. Simply download the file from the link I provided and just replace the boot file as explained in the tutorial. Although, this probably isn't a big deal.

the big deal is the plist file. It is the MOST IMPORTANT thing. You have to navigate to library/preferences/systemconfiguration.

It's all in the tutorial, make sure you read that part fully.

It sounds like you have the exact same computer I have. This will work.

Ok now I've installed the Boot Efi with replacing and repairing with the disk utility

I added the GraphicsEnabler in the Plist like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" 
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Y</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>custom</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and the Systemprofiler

NVIDIA Graphics Card:

Monitore:
Monitor:
Monitoranschluss:

maximum resolution is now 1024x768...

still can't connect an external monitor/beamer nor QE is possible/activated

greetings

Shiekah

• 1 month later...
Ok now I've installed the Boot Efi with replacing and repairing with the disk utility

I added the GraphicsEnabler in the Plist like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" 
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Y</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>custom</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and the Systemprofiler

NVIDIA Graphics Card:

Monitore:
Monitor:
Monitoranschluss:

maximum resolution is now 1024x768...

still can't connect an external monitor/beamer nor QE is possible/activated

greetings

Shiekah

I'm not sure why this still isn't working for you. I guess the only thing I say is to re-install everything all over again and try one more time.

good luck and sorry I can't be of more assistance.

• 2 months later...

Alienware M17x R2 working installation,

my specs are..

Intel Core i7 840qm, 4gb ram, 640 Raid 0, Dual ATI 5860 in crossfire X.

I didnt want to lose the raid 0 so I decided to install to an external USB Hard drive. to get the installation working and not get any errors about waiting for root device I set it to internal hard drives to ahci in the bios and used Legasy empire efi to boot and swapped to original SL DVD. then installed. I had to use the -x options to get the computer to boot. once isntalled remove the disks and use F12 to select USB option. dont forget to use the -x option.

It booted in and i did the post install settings username etc etc.. one loaded alot of the hardware wasnt working so the next step is to installed the 10.6.7 combo update. DONT RESTART use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], select [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and just the essential stuff you need.. i did the network driver for intel, ps2 keyboard and ps2 trackpad. generic sound (voodoo) recreate dependencies and left the rest alone..

once i restarted everything was working fine. no bluetooth yet and no sound through my integral speakers.

graphics working with 10.6.7 update.. no need to find kexts.

been looking for a guide for the R2 everywhere.. hope this helps others looking..

btw.. set the hard drive back to raid once installed so i could get my windows working again.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

need some help for my Alienware m17x R2 dual 5870 SLI, i7 720

Which Mac OS can i Install in my Alienware? I want to install a 10.6 DVD Retail, could not.

Any link to a os?

Any better Instruction or Guide to install in a Alienware? Which tools i need?

Regards

Cheetah

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately, the ATI is something I don't really know anything about. The hardest part of this entire thing is getting the GPU's to work and I've really only figured out the NVIDIA 260 and 280. Also, I don't think Apple has ever really supported Crosswire, which makes it tougher.

Aside from that and the i7, i think everything else is still the same as the ones I have. So, WIFI should work, but Sound will be a problem without an external solution. (Although, I think I'm somewhat close to finding an internal solution).

BTW, I found this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125297

You may have to download iatkos7 and use leopard for now. Good Luck Man.

Do you know how to get the GTX 280 to work , i have an m17x with dual gtx 280 video cards , i can't get the onboard video to work neither the dual 280's