Potential i3 Build Possible?

82 posts in this topic

Thank you everdone :). 10.5.8 is working pretty well for me, I'll give 10.6 a shot (a lot of shots I think) in a few months.

By the way, can I just plug my old hackintosh hdd to a new mb and install 10.5 from dvd to save all the softwares and datas?

Thank you everdone :). 10.5.8 is working pretty well for me, I'll give 10.6 a shot (a lot of shots I think) in a few months.

By the way, can I just plug my old hackintosh hdd to a new mb and install 10.5 from dvd to save all the softwares and datas?

Its great to hear this news. Can u tell me about the bios configuration for H55 mobo and necessary flags used upon installation? Im using an i3 too. Importantly, you are using Hazard or iAtkos or Kalyway or other distros? TQ :)

How about installing Leopard 10.5.7 guys? Could it be easier/possible? I'm going to buy core i3 and h55 mb and I just want a hackintosh running on my computer, what ever it is.
Thank you everdone . 10.5.8 is working pretty well for me, I'll give 10.6 a shot (a lot of shots I think) in a few months.

Notorious 47, I was talking about my "old computer" Im using right now, i3 is just on my wish-list. Have you tried to install 10.5.x on your i3? I'll use iAtkos v7 for sure, bad wallpaper but everything works just fine.

This might sound stupid but how can I choose the right customization during the installation process with my current spec? I've installed the iAtkos 10.5.7 once but when the OS boots it keeps on rebooting. Now I'm working on hazard's Snow Leopard with 10.6.2 combo update. Installed and when the white apple screeen tries to load, it reboots. If only I can find a way on adding the flag "busratio=45 -x" before the boot begins, I might make it work. I'm also experimenting on using tonymacx86's suggested kernel named Qoopz 10.0.0.

I hope everdone or anyone can give some ideas on this problem.

Core i3-530

Gigabyte H55M-S2H

Radeon HD4670

AHCI enabled DVD-Ram and HDD

Notorious 47, I was talking about my "old computer" Im using right now, i3 is just on my wish-list. Have you tried to install 10.5.x on your i3? I'll use iAtkos v7 for sure, bad wallpaper but everything works just fine.

How did you typed the busratio each tyme you wanna boot the Snow Leopard? I tried pressing F8 during the EFI's boot menu but nothing seems to give me a clue on commanding busratio=45 during the boot.

I successfully install and run hazard 10.6.2 on the vmware with new system ga h55m s2h core i3 530 using busratio=45. everytime when i start it up i need to type in the busratio.

So I'm wandering if hazard installation on the vmware will be the same as on the actual hd?

This might sound stupid but how can I choose the right customization during the installation process with my current spec? I've installed the iAtkos 10.5.7 once but when the OS boots it keeps on rebooting. Now I'm working on hazard's Snow Leopard with 10.6.2 combo update. Installed and when the white apple screeen tries to load, it reboots. If only I can find a way on adding the flag "busratio=45 -x" before the boot begins, I might make it work. I'm also experimenting on using tonymacx86's suggested kernel named Qoopz 10.0.0.

I hope everdone or anyone can give some ideas on this problem.

Core i3-530

Gigabyte H55M-S2H

Radeon HD4670

AHCI enabled DVD-Ram and HDD

I haven't used a distro for install in about a year so I am not familiar with Hazard. I suggest getting a Retail DVD for your install. You then should be able to use tonymacx86s BootCD and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to do the install. I used Tony's BootCD and DigitalDreamers script for my install.

If you use a Chameleon or PC-EFI bootloader you can hit 'any key' during the 'countdown' which will pause the loader and allow you to select which device to boot from. Once you have selected the device and before RETURN just type in the boot flags (nothing on the screen tells you this - you just have to know!). Once the bootflags are in hit return. By the way, I found the correct busratio is 20 not 45. either one works, but 45 causes garbled sound.

As I stated, I have not used Hazard, but its bootloader should have a 'pause key' which will give you an opportunity to enter boot flags. You should only need the -x flag if your video goes dark when it should display the Mac GUI.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to use the internal graphics and you can set a resolution in the boot.plist file. However, you cannot change that resolution once booted into OSX plus it does not provide enhanced graphics.

For best results, and to keep the cost down, get an 8000 or 9000 series Nvidia card.

Everdone thanks for all of you help and for sharing your experience. I wanted to go ahead and do this build and I plan on using the same parts that you did. Would you mind uploading your "Extra" folder so that I could use your kext and everything else for reference. Thanks in advance.

I have attached my Extra folder. I took out the kexts I had to use for Video as they made the file too large to upload and would likely be different in your situation.

Everdone thanks for all of you help and for sharing your experience. I wanted to go ahead and do this build and I plan on using the same parts that you did. Would you mind uploading your "Extra" folder so that I could use your kext and everything else for reference. Thanks in advance.

Extra.zip

I have attached my Extra folder. I took out the kexts I had to use for Video as they made the file too large to upload and would likely be different in your situation.

Thanks so much! I plan on using a 8400GS that I just did a build with so I don't need your video kexts. You can't understand how excited I am after reading what you wrote in this thread. I read this article and it got me excited about the overclocking ability of the i3 530. I have a few questions that I was hoping you might be able to answer for me. Is there any reason to use a H55 board over a P55? Or I guess is there any reason why you used the H55 if you didn't plan to use the onboard video?

Thanks again!

I wanted to use the i3 cpu to see what it could do and what would be required to get it working. The H55 boards are required for the Clarksdale i3 and i5 plus I had already created Macs using two different P55 boards. I didn't expect the onboard video to work as well as it did - it is useable but really not practical. So the real reason for using an H55 board and an i3 cpu was because I hadn't done one yet!

Thanks so much! I plan on using a 8400GS that I just did a build with so I don't need your video kexts. You can't understand how excited I am after reading what you wrote in this thread. I read this article and it got me excited about the overclocking ability of the i3 530. I have a few questions that I was hoping you might be able to answer for me. Is there any reason to use a H55 board over a P55? Or I guess is there any reason why you used the H55 if you didn't plan to use the onboard video?

Thanks again!

I've just got my new i3 today, hope you guys can help me out to build hackintosh on this babe :(

First thing first, I can't boot in the dvds, non of ideneb or iatkos works. It reboots after ~1min loading, long before I can format or customize anything. Can you show me how to fix this?

here is my spec:

i3 530, h55M-USB3 + some ram, fan, case etc...

(I'm trying to install Leopard on this one, not Snow Leopard (yet))

Have you tried boot flag: busratio=20

I've just got my new i3 today, hope you guys can help me out to build hackintosh on this babe :(

First thing first, I can't boot in the dvds, non of ideneb or iatkos works. It reboots after ~1min loading, long before I can format or customize anything. Can you show me how to fix this?

here is my spec:

i3 530, h55M-USB3 + some ram, fan, case etc...

(I'm trying to install Leopard on this one, not Snow Leopard (yet))

Thx everdone, I tried busratio and it works all the way through installing processes, but can't boot in. :)

Actually my English is not good enough to find a way to install hackintosh on i3 (I did it before but with Pen4 -> alot easier). So, it would be very nice if you can show me some sources about x86 & i3 problems then I can try figuer it out by myself. I'm begin to feel I'm bothering you too much :D .

Two things you will need for i3 install to work is a modified Kernel and the busratio boot flag. Thus when you are installing from one of the distros you will need to select one of the modified kernels for the install and include the busratio flag when the machine boots. The simpliest way to handle the busratio requirement is add it as a boot flag in the com.apple.boot.plist.

Probably the easiest way for you to proceede is to use digitaldreamer's script for install. He has a long thread in the Tutorials section on the EX58 board, but his script will work on a number of boards. He has folders which contain kexts for various purposes, if you move a kext from the folder window to the repository (or move the kext to trash) that kext will not be installed. You can add kexts to the top level folder that you wish to install, then run his script to install them. He also has a choice of a number of bootloaders which can be installed as well as different kernels. For example, if you copy the Legacy_kernel into the top level of the kernel folder (rename to mach_kernel) and run his script, the script will store a backup of the original kernel and replace the installed kernel with the 'new one'. You can also modify the com,apple.boot.plist in the plist folder to fit your needs and have the script install it.

A brief how to start: Use a suitable bootCD to boot the computer and install MacOS from a DVD or USB drive. Once installed, boot again with the bootCD and run DDs script to install the kexts and modified kernel you need to make the i3 install work. (tonymacxs blog has a bootCD which will boot the i3 - remember to use the busratio flag)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much everdone :)

I've just install SL10.6 successfully on my i3-h55 with Geforce 9500GT. Actually I used tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. It was so easy and it works almost perfectly in the very first time I tried. Everythings works pretty well except my 1333Hz Ram shows up as 667Hz.

Tonight will be a sleepless night, and I hope I can update this thing to 10.6.3.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much everdone ;)

I've just install SL10.6 successfully on my i3-h55 with Geforce 9500GT. Actually I used tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. It was so easy and it works almost perfectly in the very first time I tried. Everythings works pretty well except my 1333Hz Ram shows up as 667Hz.

Tonight will be a sleepless night, and I hope I can update this thing to 10.6.3.

Hey Zoker, congrats; my build was very similar. Let me know if 10.6.3 solves your memory issue; mine is also stuck at 800Mhz and should be running at 1333Mhz. I decided 10.6.2 was good enough for me though, at least for the time being... so you've got sleep, audio, network, and busratio all ironed out? What's your i3 temperature at typically? Mine's around 75C, which has me kind of concerned...

Core i3+H55 was already working great with nawcom's legacy kernel.

Now with 10.3.1 and a little chameleon change & recompile it is possible to use the vanilla kernel and full 64bit mode.

For the memory issue just modify the smbios.plist.

I use this with 1600DDR3:

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1600</string>

More here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1402

• 2 weeks later...

@Quantum003: my cpu temp is around 26*C. You may want to check if it's that 75C hot in bios setting or not. That's a lil too hot for a cpu.

My old Snow Leopard HDD corrupted and I have to get back to win 7 to finish some music projects for weeks. I've just reinstalled SL on my new HDD and do some updates, patches, thingys... All I can tell right now is everything works great with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd from tonymacx86.com. Audio, graphic, usb, internet etc... comes with no problems yet.

Now I'm getting down to the worst part. Trying to replace mach_kernel from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd, force it to boot in 64bit, do metalchaos' advice to change mem speed to 1333Mhz. I hope SL still boot up after I hit restart.

Ps: I'm good boy Santa!

Not so smooth but I made it! I got "boot0: error" for the first time boot w/o [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Actually Hackintosh can handle only <1TB HDD. So I do some partition job, tear it apart using Disk Utility. No erase required and I have 2 partitions now! Simply amazing! But it's not over yet. I have to run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from tonymacx86.com again to patch things all over again. Note that someone had to reinstall SL, this [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] is life saver for everyone. My audio is ALC 889 so I have to check 10.6.2AppleHDA to make it works. Of course there's things to do with com.apple.boot.plist like busratio=23 for my i3, orange HDD icons problems, but everything else is working great now. Tried to boot in and it works! I love this day :) . Hope you guys can make it, and I'm glad to help if I can :) .

• 2 weeks later...

ive heard the i3 has a "virtual core" which means its really only a single core CPU. is this true? is the i3 a true dual core and is the i5 a true quad core?

anyone know where i can find a case like this ? and possibly the same type of case for micro ATX with 4 PCI slots?

According to Intel's website they're dual-core CPUs. 'Virtual' core just refers to hyperthreading, if what I'm reading is correct (and I'm quite certain it is).The Core i3 doesn't do HT though, but it can disable one core and then have the other speed up (e.g. Turbo Boost).

not according to intel:

A smart choice for home and office, the Intel Core i3 processor also features Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology¹, which enables each core of your processor to work on two tasks at the same time, delivering the performance you need for smart multitasking

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei3/index.htm

what about the built-in graphics? would they be good enough for 1080p playback?

i'm thinking about an i3 530 + GA-H55N-USB3 for a media server