Netgear WG111 v2 USB dongle

Silent OSX

102 posts in this topic

I dont understand why it is so hard to get an answer to this. the netgear wg111 usb dongle v2. everyone here has installed the realtek stuff and have the crab bouncing on the dock then nothing. from there can ANYONE give a step by step as to what to do. people just want to know if you got it working what did you do

bump

I dont understand why it is so hard to get an answer to this. the netgear wg111 usb dongle v2. everyone here has installed the realtek stuff and have the crab bouncing on the dock then nothing. from there can ANYONE give a step by step as to what to do. people just want to know if you got it working what did you do

I happened to have one of these laying around. I downloaded the driver given by the link on page 1. You have to add interface in System preferences under Network. It is kind of irritating that the interfaces only show up as Ethernet. I have THREE interfaces that say Ethernet, you just have to try each of them to see which one works. After that just delete the ones that are not valid.

What I have found is that I have to pull the dongle out and plug it in around 3 times after booting before it works otherwise it never sees any access points. When it works it works great but I don't know why I have to plug it in more than 3 times before it works.

I am using Kalyway 10.5.1 installation.

Hello to all forum members

I got my 1st version of iatkos 1 week ago. With the help of the people on this forum I was able to install on my DELL XPS M1330.

I now have a fully working dual boot with 10.5.2 and Vista

Got the Nvidia graphics working well and today I purchased a new Netgear WG111v3

Downloaded the driver from the Realtek web page listed here installed and working perfectly. Amazing !!!

I can only get sound through my USB speaker but other than that almost go a fully working system

• 4 weeks later...
You have to add interface in System preferences under Network. It is kind of irritating that the interfaces only show up as Ethernet. I have THREE interfaces that say Ethernet, you just have to try each of them to see which one works. After that just delete the ones that are not valid.
I have no idea what this means. I have interfaces in my Network setting, but they appear to be completely unrelated to the blue bouncing crab. You mention you have 3 and you have to "try" each one. I am not sure how I "try" them. When I add the usb device and run the Realtek crab. He bounces for a while and then nothing. What you have described does not really have any effect on the crab. If you could explain how to tie the configuration of Network to the Realtek Wifi utility that would be very helpful.Ethan

BTW I have this dongle installed on a Imac 700mhz machine.

Hey Guys,

I'm just trying to get the WG111v2 to work, but the device is only showing to be an ethernetport in the network list. I've tried the Realtek, the Netgear (for 10.4) and another USB-Wlan-dogle. Can somebody post a link or a howto to get it work? What about this network patch? I cant find it.

I'm using 10.5.2 installed with leo4all. Everything works, except the wlan and the sound.

thanks in advance.

n3rd

I have no idea what this means. I have interfaces in my Network setting, but they appear to be completely unrelated to the blue bouncing crab. You mention you have 3 and you have to "try" each one. I am not sure how I "try" them. When I add the usb device and run the Realtek crab. He bounces for a while and then nothing. What you have described does not really have any effect on the crab. If you could explain how to tie the configuration of Network to the Realtek Wifi utility that would be very helpful.Ethan

BTW I have this dongle installed on a Imac 700mhz machine.

Hi biggietx, are you using wg111v3 or wg111v2? Because I think v3 is using the chipset of RTL 8187B and v2 is using RTL 8187L. I have a wg111v3 and I installed the realtek 8187L driver by mistaken and the result is having that bouncing crab thing. Then I uninstalled the RTL 8187L driver, downloaded and installed the RTL 8187B driver from "ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/87B_Mac10.4_v1117.zip". It works fine.

Hope it helps.

Hi, i finally got my WLAN working!

I use the Netgear WG111v3 Stick together with a driver from Realtek (attached to my post). OS is iAtkos Leopard 10.5.1 updated with kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate and Kalyway.10.5.2.ALL_KERNELS.pkg (Speedstep Kernel is the one!). I also have to use a SPEEDLINK audiodriver USB-Stick to get my audio jacks (earphone and mic) working because Leopard only recognizes the build in speakers. Now everthing works great!

Realtek_RTL8187B_MacOS10.4_Driver_1117_UI_1.5.1A.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Enable it from network utility, how do I do that? Also, in system profiler, my WG111v2 is showing up as a Cohiba 3887 Rev 0... Is this normal? I could not find anything about enabling anything using network utility. Please help (again).

I have the Netgear WG111 V2 also, in windoz its showing up as Cohiba 3887 Rev 0. Does this chipset work in OSX 10.5.2 or is this the same chipset as the realtek? :)

littleone did you ever figure this out?

Anyone figure this out????

Sorry to sound stupid...but what patch specifically are you talking sbout when you say 10.4.5 Networking patch? I am running Kalyway's 10.5.2 and system profiler sees the card no problem, the realtek drivers installed with no problem. However, no network card is detected! Any advice would be great.

Take Care

• 1 month later...

I tried the Kalyway 10.5.2 and selected the rtl8187L drivers during install. After loading, I opened the realtek utility and I could see my AP, clicked connect, entered my key and it said connected but after 3 seconds, it disconnected. kept doing forever. checked the network configuration under System preferences and saw it as ethernet but with selfassigned IP(169.xxx.xxx.xxx). How do I get this to work????

I got my WG111 V2 working with Kalyway 10.5.1 working reliably and here's how I did it.

1. Install the realtek drivers referenced earlier in this thread. Be sure to install RTL8187L, not RTL8187B. I tried the B initially, but it wouldn't work.

2. Run the realtek application and get the bouncing blue crab. The app window said to turn on the WLAN from network settings in sys prefs.

3. Go into network from the system preferences. Mine showed no new network options, but the blue led on the WG111 was flashing every once in a while, so I knew something was working. The two options my network showed was "Ethernet" and "Firewire", which have always been there. There was nothing saying WLAN or wireless.

4. Click on the + button to create a new network connection. I noticed there was now three options under the first dropdown, one Firewire and two Ethernet options. There used to be only one Firewire and one Ethernet option in that dropdown.

5. Click on the first Ethernet option and click create. If you don't name it yourself, it will probably name it "Ethernet 2". You can rename it later if you want.

6. On the "Configure:" dropdown, select "Using DHCP with manual address".

7. In the "IP Address:" space, assign a IP address that won't conflict with other wireless tech on your network. Chances are, your wireless router is assigning DHCP numbers like 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc... Pick something higher like 192.168.0.15.

8. Under "DNS Server:" and "Search Domains:" I copied the boxes exactly as they were from my wired connections in the same boxes (my wired ethernet connection was working before this).

9. Click "Apply". Everything came to life.

10. Go back to the realtek app. Click on the "Available Networks" tab, and find your WLAN. Click on your network, which will open another window. I entered by WPA_PSK key, and the card connected to the network.

11. Go back to the "Available Networks" tab and highlight the network you just signed into. Click on the "Add to Profile" button. This will save this network in the Profile tab, and will automatically sign into this network when you boot.

Thats it. I have been using it for a few days, and I have had 0 problems or disconnects. I'm happy with this because my laptop has the intel 3945abg built in wireless, which still has no working drivers.

For some reason, mine is not working at all :( which version of the WG111 do you have. I have py3wg111v2 running on a dell vostro... I do not believe its a usb port issue as most of my other peripherals work just fine (mouse, external drive etc)

This thread was a big help in setting me in the right direction. I wouldn't have thought to download realtek's drivers. Thanks.

My Netgear WG111 v2 USB wireless works perfectly now on Kalyway 10.5.2

I downloaded the drivers linked to earlier and noted that the RTL8187L driver has now been updated for 10.5 and intel archetecture. Installed, restarted, had to enable a new ethernet in network preferences (not sure why ethernet?) and then added something called "4 to 6" (very mysterious sounding). I applied, restarted again (maybe don't need to restart but played it safe) and then the blue crab did his jump dance and I configured my connection from there. Tested WEP and worked no problem. Even made and adhoc network and shared the wired connection I have to my iPhone (which is what I had in mind all along) :P

I got my WG111 V2 working with Kalyway 10.5.1 working reliably and here's how I did it.

1. Install the realtek drivers referenced earlier in this thread. Be sure to install RTL8187L, not RTL8187B. I tried the B initially, but it wouldn't work.

2. Run the realtek application and get the bouncing blue crab. The app window said to turn on the WLAN from network settings in sys prefs.

3. Go into network from the system preferences. Mine showed no new network options, but the blue led on the WG111 was flashing every once in a while, so I knew something was working. The two options my network showed was "Ethernet" and "Firewire", which have always been there. There was nothing saying WLAN or wireless.

4. Click on the + button to create a new network connection. I noticed there was now three options under the first dropdown, one Firewire and two Ethernet options. There used to be only one Firewire and one Ethernet option in that dropdown.

5. Click on the first Ethernet option and click create. If you don't name it yourself, it will probably name it "Ethernet 2". You can rename it later if you want.

6. On the "Configure:" dropdown, select "Using DHCP with manual address".

7. In the "IP Address:" space, assign a IP address that won't conflict with other wireless tech on your network. Chances are, your wireless router is assigning DHCP numbers like 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc... Pick something higher like 192.168.0.15.

8. Under "DNS Server:" and "Search Domains:" I copied the boxes exactly as they were from my wired connections in the same boxes (my wired ethernet connection was working before this).

9. Click "Apply". Everything came to life.

10. Go back to the realtek app. Click on the "Available Networks" tab, and find your WLAN. Click on your network, which will open another window. I entered by WPA_PSK key, and the card connected to the network.

11. Go back to the "Available Networks" tab and highlight the network you just signed into. Click on the "Add to Profile" button. This will save this network in the Profile tab, and will automatically sign into this network when you boot.

Thats it. I have been using it for a few days, and I have had 0 problems or disconnects. I'm happy with this because my laptop has the intel 3945abg built in wireless, which still has no working drivers.

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!!

Worked for me!!

YOU 'R DA MAN!!

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSS ;)

where can i find RTL8187L driver to leopard ? i've got Netgear WG111V2 is this driver do i hv to install? does it work on leopard ?

and also am i going to hv any problem because i have a lan from realtek too?

Tkz

I can`t understand, i`m connect and after a while i lost connection,

on wep i lost connection fast.. around 5minutes, but using wep2 ask takes longet to lose connection!

i configured manually on my mac and using RTL8187L i found on this thread.

does anyone can help me? bahong, what did you do ?

Tkz