What will it take to get the 46xx cards to work with 10.6.2

BatcOuntrY

51 posts in this topic

is there any way to use sapphire 4670 with snow leopard? I have now an 8600gt by nvidia but I want to upgrate to 4670... do you think is better to buy an nvidia gt240? thanks

OK!

That was easy.

I've got Saphire 4670 512MB with two DVI outputs. Card and Vendor ID's 0x9490 0x1002

Hooked up my monitor to lower connector through DVI2VGA and HDTV to upper using DVI2HDMI

Booted 10.6.2 using only netkas bootloader and PC EFI 10.5. All ATI kexts are original in S/L/E

My monitor went blank but TV screen stayed on. A lot of resolutions to choose from 480i 1080i 1080p

640x480 1280x1024 + stretched

QE/CI working.

System profiler shows only TV connected.

Turned computer off and tried the same thing again moving TV to lower and monitor to upper connector. Both went blank at boot time.

I finally got my card working using the netkas betabooter with Vanilla ATI kexts. The trick was that I had to have my monitor plugged into the second dvi port or else I would get the black screen. And don't try moving the monitor once it is already booted that won't work. I had to have the monitor plugged into the second dvi port from the start otherwise I get a black screen from both dvi ports. I am going to go buy another dvi cable today to see if both dvi ports will work.

Edit: Dual monitors not working.

Finally got Sapphire 4670 512mb DDR3 working (QE/CI enabled) through DVI port using vanilla kexts and PC EFI 10.5 boot loader. Trick for me is having something in the HDMI port as well..

Now I'm getting mouse jumps and stutters! It's a logitech USB mouse, had no problems with it before 4670 drivers. Thinking hardware acceleration could be screwing with it. Any ideas?

I have iDeneb 1.6 and my VGA is HD 4650.

I have not any problem with my OS but think that must install VGA driver.

I want know is there any kext for HD 4650?

Thanx ;)

from netkas site

4650 �" add devid into ATIRadeonX2000.kext after installing drivers, and remember to add your device-id to ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext after updating to 10.6.2 in future.

Thanx. But, what i must do with that downloaded file? Where is the kext?

46xx will not work in Leopard with Full Qi/CE. You only have chances to make it work in Snow Leopard. You can get Snow Leopard files that you will need from netkas website and IRC (radeonHD channel).

Again, Snow Leopard only.

finally my Sapphire 4650 1GB DVI-HDMI-VGA works on 10.6.2 with netkas kext.

this what i've done:

installed vanilla 10.6 on my new p6t motherboard, update to 10.6.2 and changed the audio kext for make it working.

downloaded the netkas boot file (at the top of him blog topic), downloaded the necessary kext from netkas.

putted the 'boot' file in the root of my flashdisk, modded the com.apple.boot.plist with 'GraphicEnabler - Yes'

rebooted

installed the netkas kext with kexthelper

rebooted

copy ATIRadeonX2000.kext from Stystem/Library/Extensions on desktop (so this kext is the netkas modded kext...)

edited with my dev-id

installed this mod kext with kexthelper and rebooted

now after apple logo my screen stuck with artifact on screen (i'm using only the dvi connection with my dvi monitor)

rebooted with -X arguments

copy ATI4600Controller.kext from System/Library/Extensions on my dekstop (this kext is the one provided by netkas)

edited by adding my dev-id

installed by kexthelper

make a permission repair

So just for try I've found a HDMI cable in house and try to connect my montor with this cable.... and it working now!

hdmi cable + dvi cable at the same time, both connected to my monitor (it's a viewsonic that have vga-dvd-hdmi connection)...

the hdmi connection isn't really used... because when power on the dekstop image on the top of the screen appear the name of the connection in using (vga-dvi-hdmi), and it's DVI, so i think hdmi connection is only for make the card recognise the monitor...

tomorrow i'll check with a hdmi-dvi adapter instead of the cable.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is good to hear some 4650's working.

But as usual, can you please clear these questions (lol): :(

1)

copy ATIRadeonX2000.kext from Stystem/Library/Extensions on desktop (so this kext is the netkas modded kext...)

When you meant modded kext, are you talking about the kext from "qe_ci_exotic_10.6.2" (extracted using pacifist)?

or this one:

http://netkas.org/?p=284

the beta 10.6.2 kext (not vanilla) - both 4600Controller.kext and X2000.

The reason I ask is because when 10.6.2 was officially released, you can use those kext from there. The beta 10.6.2 kext will not be needed - at least those were the instructions. Also user joe75 suggested for me to try the X2000 from exotic but I can't edit the info.plist (only netkas or someone who knows can) - unfortunately, that X2000 kext does not have 4650 dev id (0x9498) and I have to wait for a newer X2000 that has 4650 dev id. Someone reported that when he used that kext from exotic, his 4670 worked (that was having black screen problems before).

2)

putted the 'boot' file in the root of my flashdisk, modded the com.apple.boot.plist with 'GraphicEnabler - Yes'

This is where I get confused. Did you put "y" or "Yes" - I always put y but some people are reporting that Yes also works.

Did you use in the boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

or

<string>Yes</string>

I just want clarification because I always knew it should be "y".

3. Is you device ID 0x9498?

Thanks!

OK. installing SL is difficult !!!

I want only change my resolution.

I type "Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32" but my resolution in mac is 1400x1050!!!

I just want to fix my screen resolution

Is not any solution for me?

I only want to change my resolution OR installing my HD4650 kext to leopard (not SL)

Monkey FWIW I use lowercase "yes" in my com.apple.Boot.plist and it's working with my 4670.

<string>yes</string>

Yup. I tried "y" and "yes" and they both work fine (but on my Nvidia 7300LE).

I'll try it both with my coming Sapphire Low Profile 4650.

I retured my Asus 4650 one since it was not working properly.

I'm hoping better chances with the Sapphire.

Is not any solution for me?

I only want to change my resolution OR installing my HD4650 kext to leopard (not SL)

Have you tried using system preferences to change the resolution because that works for me. I don't put anything for resolution in my boot.plist.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is good to hear some 4650's working.

But as usual, can you please clear these questions (lol): :)

1) When you meant modded kext, are you talking about the kext from "qe_ci_exotic_10.6.2" (extracted using pacifist)?

2) This is where I get confused. Did you put "y" or "Yes" - I always put y but some people are reporting that Yes also works.

3. Is you device ID 0x9498?

Hi,

put yes or Yes or y it's the same. It read the first char of this string basing what i've read around the WWW.

Sure, my device is 9498 (SAPPHIRE 4650 1GB DVI-HDMI-VGA).

I mean this kext:

http://www.mediafire.com/?im3m2ddmwkg

With the 10.6.2 standard kext i had black screen, but when i had the standard kext loaded i not checked with dvi+hdmi cable, i'm sorry for this :(

If you can check for me and it's work i'm happy to change and reload the default kext :)

This is a screenshot fo OpenGL extension viewer :)

4650e.th.jpg

Hi,

put yes or Yes or y it's the same. It read the first char of this string basing what i've read around the WWW.

Sure, my device is 9498 (SAPPHIRE 4650 1GB DVI-HDMI-VGA).

I mean this kext:

http://www.mediafire.com/?im3m2ddmwkg

With the 10.6.2 standard kext i had black screen, but when i had the standard kext loaded i not checked with dvi+hdmi cable, i'm sorry for this :(

If you can check for me and it's work i'm happy to change and reload the default kext :)

This is a screenshot fo OpenGL extension viewer :)

4650e.th.jpg

Thank you for uploading the files you used. I checked the versions and I noticed that it was older than both 10.6.2 beta and 10.6.2 vanilla. Never saw this version before (maybe 10.6.0?) :)

Great share! I have to wait for my other card to check and verify. Shipping sucks this time so it may take a while.

Thank you for uploading the files you used. I checked the versions and I noticed that it was older than both 10.6.2 beta and 10.6.2 vanilla. Never saw this version before (maybe 10.6.0?) ;)

Great share! I have to wait for my other card to check and verify. Shipping sucks this time so it may take a while.

Yesterday evening I made a fresh new installation for my PC after some problems with a recovered TimeMachine backup... so I used the standard 10.6.2 kext and it works!!!

SO IT WORKS WITH 10.6.2 STOCK KEXT FILES!

Yesterday evening I made a fresh new installation for my PC after some problems with a recovered TimeMachine backup... so I used the standard 10.6.2 kext and it works!!!

SO IT WORKS WITH 10.6.2 STOCK KEXT FILES!

Good for you :) Unfortunately, still does not work for me :)

I think I should change my case so I can buy full sized cards instead of low profile. I'm starting to hate my slim m-atx case.

Unless someone can report a low profile 4650 card that works in 10.6.2 or 10.6/.1.

Anyone?

Good for you :( Unfortunately, still does not work for me :)

I think I should change my case so I can buy full sized cards instead of low profile. I'm starting to hate my slim m-atx case.

Unless someone can report a low profile 4650 card that works in 10.6.2 or 10.6/.1.

Anyone?

What type of output has your VGA card? DVI and also....?

What type of output has your VGA card? DVI and also....?

Well, I have VGA/DVI/HDMI. My monitor has VGA and DVI only. On the other hand, my TV has HDMI. I also have Video Converter dongles like HDMI to DVI and DVI to VGA. Having these options, I've tried all possible connections settings. It just wouldn't work. I was informed that I need a patched X2000.kext (from exotic patch) that only netkas can add ids to. If I add my own id, it will not work (I also tried it and it was true). Another options is to buy a different low profile card that will might be compatible (if I'm lucky) - which I did.

My first card was an Asus EAH4650 1gb ddr2 (low pro ready) and changed it to Sapphire 4650 512mb (low profile only), which I don't have a clue if it will work in OSX, I just took the risk of buying it.

As soon as I get it, I will report in this thread so people would know the card would work or not.

PS: I just found out that my card was not shipped!! lol - due to Christmas season shipping delay. I have to wait 2 weeks all over again. S**T! lol

Well, I have VGA/DVI/HDMI. My monitor has VGA and DVI only. On the other hand, my TV has HDMI. I also have Video Converter dongles like HDMI to DVI and DVI to VGA. Having these options, I've tried all possible connections settings. It just wouldn't work. I was informed that I need a patched X2000.kext (from exotic patch) that only netkas can add ids to. If I add my own id, it will not work (I also tried it and it was true). Another options is to buy a different low profile card that will might be compatible (if I'm lucky) - which I did.

My first card was an Asus EAH4650 1gb ddr2 (low pro ready) and changed it to Sapphire 4650 512mb (low profile only), which I don't have a clue if it will work in OSX, I just took the risk of buying it.

As soon as I get it, I will report in this thread so people would know the card would work or not.

PS: I just found out that my card was not shipped!! lol - due to Christmas season shipping delay. I have to wait 2 weeks all over again. S**T! lol

Have you tried to use at the same time dvi and hdmi? At the same time...

Have you tried to use at the same time dvi and hdmi? At the same time...

Yes I did that too. Oh, my HDTV also has VGA so I tried all possible scenarios. Both connected at the same time - Monitor is DVI / HDTV is VGA --- Monitor is VGA (dvi to vga dongle) / HDTV was VGA too --- Monitor was VGA (no dongle) / HDTV was HDMI --- Monitor was VGA / HDTV was VGA (dvi to vga dongle). Not to mention I also tried DVI to HDMI converters.

Dual display seems to work on Preboot and even in boot, but when video card initializes, they both go to black screens.

I even tried connecting my monitor (which has DVI and VGA) at the same time in my video card - I also tried connecting my HDTV's vga and hdmi ports at the same time - I know, it doesn't make sense but that is how desperate I was .. lol.

I'm having a similar experience to others with another strange problem. I have the XFX 4670 1GB with dual DVI. I have to use both DVI outputs to see anything, otherwise black screen. Only 1 of the 2 monitors I'm hooked up to displays anything, the other is black.

What's weird is that SL is swapping the display detection between the outputs. I have a Dell 2405 and a Dell 2001 monitor. If I hook up the cables so that the 2405 displays an image, SL says it is the 2001 and vice versa. So I'm getting a signal, but it thinks it's the wrong monitor and it limits the resolutions to only those that the second monitor supports.

Anyone have any ideas on why these are swapping? Better yet, has anyone gotten multi-monitor to work with the 4670?