GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

I am using CruiSAr's trimmed down and cleaned up DSDT. I am using an ethernet card instead of the onboard NIC. Can I remove PEX0 through PEX5 from my DSDT? Also, can I remove SBUS as well? Lastly, are there any other devices that aren't needed? Thank you.
The DSDT loads in a fraction of a second, so is spending hours figuring out what is and isn't needed worth shaving off several milliseconds?

System Profiler only goes up to 4.3 GHz, edit /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings if you want it to show over that;

//"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "4.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon";

I rewrote 5, let me know if you're still confused about the number of cores your CPU has.

thanks

:rolleyes: ...Ok. . sees the 4,5. .but in system profiler still 4,3...what is this "I rewrote 5"

post-410253-1274798702_thumb.png

post-410253-1274798712_thumb.png

im not sure if i should attempt this or if my mobo is compatible.

i have the latest ga-ex58a-ud3r (rev 2.0). used kakewalk 2.2 to install and the only thing not working is sleep... will this procedure fix this?

lame question - yes - but im getting desperate :rolleyes: the first posts has sooo much info and skimming through it has gone right over my head. but before i invest a day in going through it bit by bit, just checking if it's even worth it for my setup or not

hey d00d, do you recommend IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext over OrangeIconFix.kext?

its just that OrangeIconFix.kext messes up Finder > Preferences > Show these items on desktop

ie. with OrangeIconFix.kext Finder sees internal hard disks as External disks, and some other weird things are up with effects of the tick boxes

for me IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext fixes all of this.

EDIT: ah of course, it also stops hot swap capability

just wondering if you have any light to shed on this

Hi.

for me IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext fixes all of issues.

And Hot swap WORKS for me without issues!

My board is GA-EX58-Extreme.

And I've patched my bios.

:)

This is my extra folder and dsdt and also boot file i'm using (asere v.1.1.9)

Extra.zip

ie. with OrangeIconFix.kext Finder sees internal hard disks as External disks, and some other weird things are up with effects of the tick boxes

for me IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext fixes all of this.

EDIT: ah of course, it also stops hot swap capability

First off, I use IOACHIBlockStorgageInjector.kext for the reasons you mentioned above. It works for me.

Secondly, can we please stop using the term hot-swap? Using either kext, the drives are ejectable. Right-clicking on any drive icon will bring up the menu to "eject" it. Neither of the kexts actually allow hot-swapping. I have two hot swap bays (Kingwin KF-1000-BK) in my hac. If I eject a drive that is in the hot swap bay, remove the drive, and then re-insert the drive into the bay, the drive does not actually remount automatically. I can manually remount by typing 'diskutil mount diskXsX' in the terminal. If I inserted a different disk than the one I just ejected than a logout/login is required to mount the new disk.

With that said, if anyone knows the exact properties to inject that would actually allow real hot-swapping, I would be eternally grateful. I would love to be able to pull drives in and out as needed.

Thank you.

Hi.

for me IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext fixes all of issues.

And Hot swap WORKS for me without issues!

My board is GA-EX58-Extreme.

And I've patched my bios.

;)

This is my extra folder and dsdt and also boot file i'm using (asere v.1.1.9)

Extra.zip

Like FUT1L1TY, with either kext true hot swap doesn't work for me; boot, attach external drive, auto mount.

Does using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and your related DSDT modifications allow this to work?

Like FUT1L1TY, with either kext true hot swap doesn't work for me; boot, attach external drive, auto mount.

Does using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and your related DSDT modifications allow this to work?

For me it works this way :

boot, attach external drive and it will auto mount.

Eject drive, Disconnect power cord and sata cable from drive. no error.

attach external drive and it will auto mount again.

P.S.

If you want to disconnect drive you can't just pull out cables from HD.

You must first Eject drive with disk utility and only then Disconnect power cord and sata cable from drive.

:D

P.S.

You must first Eject drive with disk utility and only then Disconnect power cord and sata cable from drive.

:(

x.di,

I copied your Device (SATA) section from your DSDT. Unfortunately this did not provide me with true hot swap capabilities. I've enclosed a screenshot of my System Profiler with Bay 2 selected. Can you please take a look at your Bay 2 and see if it is different than mine?

EDIT: I meant to say whatever Bay # you are able to unplug/replug. It doesn't have to be Bay 2.

post-405332-1274852773_thumb.png

Hot swapping drives works fine here when using using IOBlockStorageInjector, the drive icons are internal but they can be ejected and remounted just fine.

I use an external eSATA hard drive dock like this one

http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/External-Har...sc883/p877.aspx

and it is flagged in system profiler as non-ejectable but works 100% hot eject and remount in finder

post-204913-1274860531_thumb.png

Hot swapping drives works fine here when using using IOBlockStorageInjector, the drive icons are internal but they can be ejected and remounted just fine.

I use an external eSATA hard drive dock like this one

http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/External-Har...sc883/p877.aspx

and it is flagged in system profiler as non-ejectable but works 100% hot eject and remount in finder

post-204913-1274860531_thumb.png

Thank you although it appears that you are not using the ICH10 SATA port for your dock. Are those JMicron SATA ports or do you have a controller card?

EDIT: The X58A-UD5 has three sata controllers not including ICH10R. They are as follows.

Marvell 9128 chip:

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:

JMicron JMB362 chip:

My guess is that you are using the JMicron 362 since it's on the back as two eSata ports. Can you tell me if that supports AHCI 1.20? We EX58 'ers have the JMicron 322 chip and it's only AHCI 1.0 and does not support NCQ like yours does.

Thank you although it appears that you are not using the ICH10 SATA port for your dock. Are those JMicron SATA ports or do you have a controller card?

EDIT: The X58A-UD5 has three sata controllers not including ICH10R. They are as follows.

Marvell 9128 chip:

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:

JMicron JMB362 chip:

My guess is that you are using the JMicron 362 since it's on the back as two eSata ports. Can you tell me if that supports AHCI 1.20? We EX58 'ers have the JMicron 322 chip and it's only AHCI 1.0 and does not support NCQ like yours does.

Yes its the back panel eSATA/USB 2.0 combo port on the X58A-UD5 which is the JMicron JMB362 controller.

Not sure how I would test the system for AHCI 1.20 but the specs are here and it does support native NCQ and hot plugging:

http://www.jmicron.com/JMB362.html

P.S.

:whistle:

I used IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and your DSDT SATA section modifications, but was unable to get an external drive to hot plug after boot.

Are there other parts of your modified DSDT that are required for this, other than the SATA section?

Yes its the back panel eSATA/USB 2.0 combo port on the X58A-UD5 which is the JMicron JMB362 controller.

Not sure how I would test the system for AHCI 1.20 but the specs are here and it does support native NCQ and hot plugging:

http://www.jmicron.com/JMB362.html

Rankrotten, could you please try this:

1) Attach the external sata drive

2) After it mounts, go to the terminal and type 'diskutil list'

3) In the Finder, eject the drive by dragging it to the trash but leave the drive physically connected

4) Go back to the terminal and type 'diskutil list'

Is the drive still listed? If not then you have a feature that most of us do not have and a lot of us could use.

The JMB362 is AHCI version 1.0 according to the JMiicron website.

EDIT: If the ejected drive is still listed, does physically removing it make any difference?

Also, what happens if now you plug a different drive into the dock? Does it mount automatically?

Rankrotten, could you please try this:

1) Attach the external sata drive

2) After it mounts, go to the terminal and type 'diskutil list'

3) In the Finder, eject the drive by dragging it to the trash but leave the drive physically connected

4) Go back to the terminal and type 'diskutil list'

Is the drive still listed? If not then you have a feature that most of us do not have and a lot of us could use.

The JMB362 is AHCI version 1.0 according to the JMiicron website.

EDIT: If the ejected drive is still listed, does physically removing it make any difference?

Also, what happens if now you plug a different drive into the dock? Does it mount automatically?

Yes the JMB362 is listed in System Profiler as AHCI 1.0, if I click the actual controller in the list it tells me :rolleyes:

Ok, here is what happens:

1) External sata drive attaches and mounts in finder

2) After it mounts it is listed in "diskutil list"

3) Disk ejected by dragging to trash

4) Disk still shows up in "diskutil list"

5) Physically removing disk also removes the listing in terminal

6) Attaching a new drive automatically mounts in finder and shows up in diskutil.

post-204913-1274921225_thumb.png

(the purple line should have been drawn above each refresh of diskutil list command separating the end of each step)

The same behaviour is also seen with the front panel eSATA connector which is routed to the Gigabyte GSATA2 onboard ports.

1) External sata drive attaches and mounts in finder

2) After it mounts it is listed in "diskutil list"

3) Disk ejected by dragging to trash

4) Disk still shows up in "diskutil list"

5) Physically removing disk also removes the listing in terminal

6) Attaching a new drive automatically mounts in finder and shows up in diskutil.

The same behaviour is also seen with the front panel eSATA connector which is routed to the Gigabyte GSATA2 onboard ports.

Thank you Rankrotten. That was very informative. I do not think your hot swap capability is JMB362 specific because like you said it is working with the GSATA2 port. It's possible that your external dock is doing something actively although I couldn't say for certain what that might be. I have a trayless hot swap chassis that is completely passive. My strongest inclination is that you have a property in your IORegistry that differs from mine. If we could determine what it is we would be able to inject it via a kext or DSDT and gain true hot swap.

Below are screen shots from IORegistryExplorer of my PRT1 (my boot drive is one PRT0) and its subtree. I've expanded important properties within each section.

Could you find your external drive in your IORegistry (You have two Hitachi drives. It's the one that is NOT connected to PRT1)? Can you see if you there are any significant differences? Also, can you please post your current DSDT.aml so I can look for some clues there?

I'm extremely determined to crack this. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

post-405332-1274928670_thumb.png

post-405332-1274928679_thumb.png

post-405332-1274928686_thumb.png

post-405332-1274928693_thumb.png

post-405332-1274928699_thumb.png

post-405332-1274928707_thumb.png

Hello, d00d,

Great tutorial, incredible, I have my thing running with no issues at top speed. Only point I think I do not fully understand is this one.... Are P-states CPU dependant (meaning 920, 930, etc) or they also depend on how you are running the CPU?. I have a 930, but I am thinking to try overclocking it a little. Would I need then to play with ab___73's getSSDT5.sh?.

Many thanks!,

Manda.

This tutorial isn't really targeted for that audience, and they would most likely be using a 2.66 GHz i7 920 CPU anyways.

With 10.6.2 the following kernel.log message is seen if the CPU section of the DSDT is passing PStates that are different from what you would get from running ab___73's getSSDT5.sh (2.66 GHz i7 920 or Xeon W3520 CPU example);

kernel[0]: WARNING: ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - turbo enabled but no turbo P-state found

incorrect;

Name (_PSS, Package (0x0A)
           {
               Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0AE9, // 2793 MHz core frequency
                   0x00021728, // 137000 mW power
                   0x0A, // 10 us transition latency
                   0x15, // 21 multiplier
                   0x15 // 21 multiplier
               }, 

Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0A64, // 2660 MHz core frequency
                   0x0001FBD0, // 130000 mW power
                   0x14, // 20 multiplier
                   0x14 // 20 multiplier
               },

correct (values from running ab___73's getSSDT5.sh);

Name (_PSS, Package (0x0A)
           {
               Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0A65, // 2661 MHz core frequency
                   0x15, // 21 multiplier
                   0x15 // 21 multiplier
               },

Package (0x06)
               {
                   0x0A64, // 2660 MHz core frequency
                   0x14, // 20 multiplier
                   0x14 // 20 multiplier
               },

Thank you Rankrotten. That was very informative. I do not think your hot swap capability is JMB362 specific because like you said it is working with the GSATA2 port. It's possible that your external dock is doing something actively although I couldn't say for certain what that might be. I have a trayless hot swap chassis that is completely passive. My strongest inclination is that you have a property in your IORegistry that differs from mine. If we could determine what it is we would be able to inject it via a kext or DSDT and gain true hot swap.

Below are screen shots from IORegistryExplorer of my PRT1 (my boot drive is one PRT0) and its subtree. I've expanded important properties within each section.

Could you find your external drive in your IORegistry (You have two Hitachi drives. It's the one that is NOT connected to PRT1)? Can you see if you there are any significant differences? Also, can you please post your current DSDT.aml so I can look for some clues there?

I'm extremely determined to crack this. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

My current DSDT file: dsdt.aml.zip

Heres my IOReg grabs:

Drive on JMB362:

post-204913-1274959325_thumb.pngpost-204913-1274951761_thumb.pngpost-204913-1274959349_thumb.pngpost-204913-1274959385_thumb.png

Drive on GSATA 2 port:

post-204913-1274960960_thumb.png

disconnected and removed:

post-204913-1274960900_thumb.png

3 kexts in /extra: fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and LegacyHDA and I also have RealtekR1000SL in S/L/E

That's good to know. Can you also try this:

1) Eject a drive by drive by dragging to trash

2) Remove the drive physically

3) Re-attach the drive physically

Afterwards, please open up Console and look for any related messages in:

DATABASE SEARCHES/All Messages

FILES/system.log

There might be some valuable clues here. Thanks again.

Is there anyway of using 6x ram slots on this board under osx? you mention you only used 4..
I never wrote that I use 4 slots, and there's nothing preventing you from using all six under OS X.

Hello, d00d,

Great tutorial, incredible, I have my thing running with no issues at top speed. Only point I think I do not fully understand is this one.... Are P-states CPU dependant (meaning 920, 930, etc) or they also depend on how you are running the CPU?. I have a 930, but I am thinking to try overclocking it a little. Would I need then to play with ab___73's getSSDT5.sh?.

Many thanks!,

Manda.

Thanks, please read post 1, item 5.

That's good to know. Can you also try this:

1) Eject a drive by drive by dragging to trash

2) Remove the drive physically

3) Re-attach the drive physically

Afterwards, please open up Console and look for any related messages in:

DATABASE SEARCHES/All Messages

FILES/system.log

There might be some valuable clues here. Thanks again.

DATABASE SEARCHES/All Messages:

28/05/2010 23:44:46 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.

28/05/2010 23:44:46 sudo[93787] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

28/05/2010 23:45:07 sudo[93883] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

28/05/2010 23:45:09 UnmountAssistantAgent[93889] Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader

28/05/2010 23:45:42 sudo[94029] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

28/05/2010 23:45:43 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.

FILES/system.log:

May 28 23:44:46 RankRotten-2 sudo[93787]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 28 23:45:07 RankRotten-2 sudo[93883]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 28 23:45:09 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistantAgent[93889]: Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader

May 28 23:45:09 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[93889]: Volume unmounted successfully

May 28 23:45:42 RankRotten-2 sudo[94029]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 28 23:45:59 RankRotten-2 Console[94103]: Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader

Lots of error messages with iStat Menus and Logitech Control Center scattered throughout the console logs. I get a Logitech error message in the kernel during startup but it does not seem to affect the running of the machine and I need it for my MX Revolution mouse. Ignore those.

EDIT:

I uninstalled the Logitech Control Center app as I'm concerned about the amount of Console Spam it throws up.

Here are the new logs and interestingly it appears that iStat Server/DiskTool.app is called each time a disk mounts and unmounts...

29/05/2010 00:22:44 sudo[481] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

29/05/2010 00:22:45 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.

29/05/2010 00:23:15 sudo[608] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

29/05/2010 00:23:48 sudo[755] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

29/05/2010 00:23:49 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.

29/05/2010 00:24:09 sudo[846] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

and

May 29 00:21:48 RankRotten-2 sudo[237]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 29 00:21:50 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[250]: Volume unmounted successfully

May 29 00:22:44 RankRotten-2 sudo[481]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 29 00:23:15 RankRotten-2 sudo[608]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 29 00:23:17 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[623]: Volume unmounted successfully

May 29 00:23:48 RankRotten-2 sudo[755]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 29 00:24:09 RankRotten-2 sudo[846]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

May 29 00:24:11 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[860]: Volume unmounted successfully

Hmmmm... ?? <_<