OSX on Asus G60VX

jakebb

119 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I got this running on my G60vx. BUT I got some minor problems...

1. When im using OSX, the system kinda lags, like when i mouse over the Dock, it doesnt zoom as soon as the mouse is over it, it tends to lag, and sounds are kinda laggy also, oh and when you have a small window where you have the option to click "Ok" or "Cancel" the shiny orb tends to flash very fast.

2. When I update the system and reboot, I get a kernel panic, dont know whats causing this problem. (THERES AN ATTACHMENT SO YOU CAN SEE THE SCREENSHOTS)

3. When using Photobooth, the preview wont show up, but when i take a picture, you can see the picture, but still the preview keeps showing a black screen, oh and the Microphone wont recognize my voice.

So I installed this with Empire EFI 1.085 and an Official OSX 10.6 Retail Disc from Bestbuy.

I would REALLY APPRECIATE any help from u guys, and im about to buy the Dell 1390 wifi adapter from ebay for only 10 bucks.

P.S. Could one of you guyz please make a video on how to install OSX on this laptop? Or at least give a list of links of all the needed Kexts?

Thanks in advance,

Ninj0e

post-626828-1275955038_thumb.jpg

Did you use the Empire EFI link from this thred? are you booting with cpus=1? go to kexts.com there is a download for this laptop if you used Empire EFI from this post I don't know worked great for me and others post back:)

The Empire EFI that I used is the latest one from http://prasys.co.cc/tag/empire-efi/

And about the booting with cpus=1, mine boots without any commands, u just press the power button and OSX starts booting, obviously chameleon starts before the OSX booting.

IF the Empire EFI that I used isnt the one that works correctly, then could you post a link to get the correct Empire EFI?

About the kexts, forget about that, I managed to find most of em so dont worry. Please reply asap. If you have any instant messaging system, could you add me so u can help? My email is ninj0e@hotmail.com

BTW thanks for your patience and time for helping me out :angry:

P.S. OK man i was making some research, and I found out at the Empire EFI's website stating that: "For those who are using NVIDIA GTX 2xx series , please make sure to type GraphicsEnabler=Y PciRoot=0 or GraphicsEnabler=Y PCiRoot=1 (its case-sensitive)"

The question is, where and how do i type tese commands? Also, do i have to reinstall OSX for this to work?

Ah never mind, I got it working. Heres what I did:

1. type (without quotes) ‘GraphicsEnabler=Y PciRoot=0? before hitting enter on the OSX install disk. To do this, just Hit the "Tab" key right after you switch disks (the eEFI with OSX disc)

2. Then follow JakeBB's Guide and you should have OSX on your Asus G60vx.

BTW I dont have to type in cpus=1, I guess Empire EFI 1.085 fixes that.

Havent tried the Software Update, hope it all works fine. Ive spent about 18 straight hours trying to make this work XD.

Thanks to everybody here for making this tutorial.

Ok OSX is officially workin on my G60vx.

Now, my next objective is installing Windows 7.

Should i just boot from windows disk and install it? I made 2 partitions from OSX installation.

Any help appreciated.

Fixes cpus=1 on Asus G60VX works in 32/64 bit both cores working!

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,795.0.html

Could you make a more detailed guide for this? I just dont know what to do at the link you posted.

So I installed OSX first. Now I want to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (for gaming, thats the primary use of this laptop, right?)

So I boot from Win7 disc and get to the Upgrade or Custom window, I choose Custom, and there are 3 partitions, the OSX, the Chameleon, and the free space for windows. I choose the free space for windows partition, then Windows says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu"

Then i reformatted the partition, nothing happens, still the same error. So I tried using BootCamp, and I get this error: Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used. You must update your computers Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant.

Im really confused now. It would be great if you guys could help me out on this, cuz i need to use windows for some games that i got :angry:

OK guys, now my dual boot works like a charm, and everything is working as it should, except for the wifi, which i need the dell card, buying it asap.

Sorry for all the noobish questions, its just that this was my first time making a Hackintosh.

By the way,thanx for all of you guys for your support.

Now my only problem is with the "cpus=1" that i have to type in everytime i boot OSX. So I tried this from Sparky:

"Fixes cpus=1 on Asus G60VX works in 32/64 bit both cores working!

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...95.0.html"

But i dont know what to do at that web page... Any help appreciated.

Ok also fixed the thing with cpus=1, just had to register on that page.

Now I've been noticing that when i boot to OSX or Windows, the time isnt correct, it happens everytime.

Any suggestions?

Make sure your time zone is set properly and "set time and date automatically" box is ticked if the time is incorrect when you boot right click on the clock in titlebar and the time should set after a few times (or at least on mine) the time is now correct when I boot:) I am still looking for a solution to SD Card reader the VooDoo kext causes my system to slow down any one have this working?

Make sure your time zone is set properly and "set time and date automatically" box is ticked if the time is incorrect when you boot right click on the clock in titlebar and the time should set after a few times (or at least on mine) the time is now correct when I boot:) I am still looking for a solution to SD Card reader the VooDoo kext causes my system to slow down any one have this working?

I found this, gotta install the kexts and find out what happens. Apparently its working on Dell machines.

http://www.dailyblogged.com/sd-card-reader...g-on-hackbooks/

P.S. I installed the kexts, rebooted, inserted the MS card, nothing happens. Id say it doesnt work.

Dude, dont try this, it messes up with all your USB adapters, i.e. When you insert a flash drive, it wont be recognized, the light wont even flash. I had to remove the kexts for em to work again. So dont try this. Hope we can find a card reader kext compatible with our machine :P.

OK every one after installing the TSCSync Kext I them thought if the VoodooSDHCI kext slowed the system down with one core disabled maybe it would work so I reinstalled this one http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,972.0.html and it worked!!! SD Card reader working with no slowing down of the system

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is working perfectly for me now except sleeping. I don't really care about sleeping, I usually turn it off anyway. But, on the mac sleeping is essential for a some things to work. First off, closing the lid while the computer is unplugged on snow leopard puts the computer to sleep, even though there is no sleep kexts installed. What happens is the screen goes black, and the only way to get out of it is to hold the power button and turn it off. When I do this though, the computer won't start up and I need to completely reinstall.

Another thing I need sleep for is using an external monitor that is higher resolution than the laptop screen. The laptop screen and the monitor always have to be the same resolution if I want to mirror them, and the only way to use the monitor as the primary display is to close the lid, put the laptop to sleep, and then move the mouse or something to get it to wake up while the lid is still closed. I can't do this since mine can't sleep in the first place.

I have been using leopard for now, I don't really see a huge difference between it and snow leopard. Leopard also doesn't try to sleep when I close the lid while it is unplugged, so I don't lose everything if I accidentally do that. Ever since sparkythewondersquid found that fix for both the cores, I have been using OSX as my primary operation system, games and everything run just as they do on windows. And now that steam works on the mac, I can play TF2, half-life 2, portal, etc. Crossover doesn't work though, since it needs to have mac hardware for it to work. I will try the mac version of wine and see if that does anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Adding a P8700 will not solve the problem. So don't waste your money. I upgraded the CPU in my G60VX to a P8800 for the purposes of playing FFX in PCSX2 @ 99% speed for 98% of the time. I have Snow Leopard installed on a second hard disk using the latest Empire EFI build, and updated to 10.6.2.

Booting without cpus=1 even with the new CPU gives me the same laggy performance as the previous CPU did. On the flip side though, I have managed to resolve the keyboard mapping issues in OS X through the use of a few utilities. A unix command prompt isn't worth it's weight in {censored} without a working pipe key on your keyboard after all.

I used a utility called Ukelele to build a brand new keymap for the keyboard on the laptop. Then using the instructions included with the app, I added the keymap to OS X. The zipped up keyboard layout is attached to this post. Once they keymap is added to the OS, you can use the standard system control panels to select it.

There was another utility that I am still toying with called KeyRemap4MacBook that provides some interesting options for remapping system keys on the keyboard (function keys to volume/brightness, etc). I haven't had much success with it, but it seems the most promising path for getting the hotkeys working in OS X.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I tried Ukelele, but I couldn't get it working and, honestly, my patience was worn by then with all the DefaultKeyBindings.dict changes I had made to no avail. As a developer, I need that backslash key so badly and have been making do with the virtual keyboard or copy/paste. Again, thanks!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to this. I finally got mac and all of the drivers working today on my ASUS G60V, but I made the mistake of installing Mac OS X first. So I have to questions:

1. What are the steps to installing Windows 7 after Mac Os 7, Jakebb it seems like you were able to accomplish to this, but I had trouble understanding how to delete .kext files. ninj0e it seems like you were able to accomplish this as well, would either of you mind sharing the steps I should take.

2. Is it even possible to install Mac OS X and Windows 7 on 1 hard drive, wouldn't you need two separate hard drives?

I actually got it working dual boot, after installing Mac OS X, in fact I would recommend doing it that way if you don't mind losing all of your current data. I have another question guys, how do you boot in 64bit? I installed the two kexts listed in this thread TSYNC and 64/32.kext but i still have to type cpus = 1.

• 1 month later...

Hey I am back, and Ive got some questions!!! I have been trying to TRIPLE Boot the Asus G60vx, but for some reason, I cant get it to work, anyone here has an actual triple boot running on the asus g60? Im trying to install Win7, Ubuntu 10.10, and of course, OSX 10.6

If someone here was able to do such thing, could you give DETAILED instructions on what you did to make it work?