[GUIDE] Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Vanilla Retail Guide for Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150-BGw)

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

geebake

geebake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I'm pleased to say that I've just spiked the ball and done a victory dance.

I now have Windows 7, Windows XP and Snow Leopard (10.6.1) booting on my ZG5 without the external drive connected!

Here's what I did:

Get the actual Chameleon package from their website. Google "Chameleon Bootloader" and you can't miss it.

Within that package, there are instruction for installing. After the install, I still couldn't boot anything without the USB drive. Sooooo.

I booted to a Winows 7 disk (an old one - early beta) and did a repair instead of an install. It found and fixed errors in the boot record and allowed me to boot to Windows 7. Yay!

Next I loaded up EasyBCD from NeoSmart. Fantastic tool.

I deleted the existing Leopard entry from that and added a new Mac entry. Upon reboot Snow Leopard launched perfectly.

I went back and did the same thing for XP and as I mentioned, all three now boot perfectly.

I still have loads of tweaking to do, but, essentially everything works. I have audio and I 'think' ethernet right now. The SD card slots don't seem to work but I don't think they ever did in Leopard either.

Ages ago I installed a dell Wifi card and that worked then and it works now for airport.

I could cry :huh:

Now, if I could just get Ubuntu installed....... (shudders at the thought of another bootloader in the mix)

Greg

robi62

robi62

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
hi I tried sound both of them but only external mic works. Also I have noticed that If I remove voodoo hda kext then the

sound does not work when it boot up no volume icon on top and also no sound device system preferences this both in 10.6.1 and 10.62 by the way my acer is d 250

NoweguRouge

NoweguRouge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for this - I had 10.5 and Windows 7 dual booting on my Acer, but trashed OS X with an update (10.5.6 or 7) - get the grey Apple up and then it reboots. During this process I updated the BIOS to 3310, partitioned the HDD and put an earlier version of Cameleon (1.0.12) on the machine. At start-up I get a choice for hd(0,1)MacoSX or hd(0,2) Windows NTFS at boot-up - second option presents me with windows 7 or Mac OS X. Windows 7 boots, Mac OS X sends me back to the first boot screen.

So, thought I'd give this a try.

Have the usb stick prepared as per all the steps (including the GUID option), but at Step 10 everything stalls when I enter F12 and the machine seems to lock-up. Without the stick, or with a generic stick in F12 works fine so appear a bit stuck.

Thought it might be the MBR, so tried EasyBCD (used it before in Windows 7, which is how come I have the odd start-up options!) to see if I could change anything there, but that also complains that BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of Vista, or don't yet exist. Offers to correct, then wants a Boot Drive letter with only C as the option which it doesn't like. Fails and gets stuck in a loop only solved by exiting.

Options I have are to use a USB Hard drive (with lots of other stuff on I don't want to sacrifice) or burn to CD and use an external USB drive with probably the same issues as with the stick - but any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

PS - as you may guess, I'm more of a GUI person and at the limit of my comfort zone with this.....

miomika

miomika

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I stuck on boot screen at setp 12. I Instal thos prep OSX on extrenal 80 GB SATA drive. Everything vent well, but now it stuck on boot screen and "no go"!!
I Presume that is just because a external HDD. It wont let me in BIOS setting, NADA...just stuck on "press F2" and "Press F12"

geebake

geebake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I stuck on boot screen at setp 12. I Instal thos prep OSX on extrenal 80 GB SATA drive. Everything vent well, but now it stuck on boot screen and "no go"!!
I Presume that is just because a external HDD. It wont let me in BIOS setting, NADA...just stuck on "press F2" and "Press F12"

I had this exact problem for a while as well. Boot something to OSX if you can and go to Disk Utility and do a 'Repair' on your USB drive. That fixed it for me anyway.

Greg

Thanks for this - I had 10.5 and Windows 7 dual booting on my Acer, but trashed OS X with an update (10.5.6 or 7) - get the grey Apple up and then it reboots. During this process I updated the BIOS to 3310, partitioned the HDD and put an earlier version of Cameleon (1.0.12) on the machine. At start-up I get a choice for hd(0,1)MacoSX or hd(0,2) Windows NTFS at boot-up - second option presents me with windows 7 or Mac OS X. Windows 7 boots, Mac OS X sends me back to the first boot screen.

So, thought I'd give this a try.

Have the usb stick prepared as per all the steps (including the GUID option), but at Step 10 everything stalls when I enter F12 and the machine seems to lock-up. Without the stick, or with a generic stick in F12 works fine so appear a bit stuck.

Thought it might be the MBR, so tried EasyBCD (used it before in Windows 7, which is how come I have the odd start-up options!) to see if I could change anything there, but that also complains that BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of Vista, or don't yet exist. Offers to correct, then wants a Boot Drive letter with only C as the option which it doesn't like. Fails and gets stuck in a loop only solved by exiting.

Options I have are to use a USB Hard drive (with lots of other stuff on I don't want to sacrifice) or burn to CD and use an external USB drive with probably the same issues as with the stick - but any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

PS - as you may guess, I'm more of a GUI person and at the limit of my comfort zone with this.....

I was in a similar position. I had to fix this by getting into windows and running EasyBCD. Delete your existing OSX entry and create a new one and then be sure to tell EasyBCD to 'Write New MBR' or whatever the equivalent is. There is a command in there somewhere that does that and as I said, it fixed the MBR for me.

Greg

NoweguRouge

NoweguRouge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I was in a similar position. I had to fix this by getting into windows and running EasyBCD. Delete your existing OSX entry and create a new one and then be sure to tell EasyBCD to 'Write New MBR' or whatever the equivalent is. There is a command in there somewhere that does that and as I said, it fixed the MBR for me.

Greg

Thanks Greg, probably wasn't clear but unfortunately EasyBCD won't run for me - it won't fix the error and only leaves me with the option to exit (or go through the same failed process)

"Thought it might be the MBR, so tried EasyBCD (used it before in Windows 7, which is how come I have the odd start-up options!) to see if I could change anything there, but that also complains that BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of Vista, or don't yet exist. Offers to correct, then wants a Boot Drive letter with only C as the option which it doesn't like. Fails and gets stuck in a loop only solved by exiting."

Any other ideas?

geebake

geebake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks Greg, probably wasn't clear but unfortunately EasyBCD won't run for me - it won't fix the error and only leaves me with the option to exit (or go through the same failed process)

"Thought it might be the MBR, so tried EasyBCD (used it before in Windows 7, which is how come I have the odd start-up options!) to see if I could change anything there, but that also complains that BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of Vista, or don't yet exist. Offers to correct, then wants a Boot Drive letter with only C as the option which it doesn't like. Fails and gets stuck in a loop only solved by exiting."

Any other ideas?

Did you specifically tell it to "Write MBR"? I had the same issue and that fixed it. Its under the 'Manage Bootloader' area. Or are you saying that EasyBCD won't even launch?

miomika

miomika

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
well thnx greg, but no luck. I tried repair disk on 10.5.7....and start over.....just no luck. HDD is totaly ok, no bad block, nothing..just stuck on boot screen....

I guess I should get me an USB flash 8 GB

NoweguRouge

NoweguRouge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Did you specifically tell it to "Write MBR"? I had the same issue and that fixed it. Its under the 'Manage Bootloader' area. Or are you saying that EasyBCD won't even launch?

Sadly, yes. The errors I described all come during EasyBCD start-up - it is trying to write a new BCD but reports errors with the 'Vista' install, and loops back to the original question. I can either repeat the process or exit, but at no stage do any menu's or other options appear. This was rather a blow as I have previously used it (on Windows 7) to dig me out of similar holes when running an OsXxXx 10.5.6 installer. Changes I made at that time reversed the start-up order so MacOS X was in the first set of options - so was happy with that, but less happy now the install is screwed and EasyBCD won't work for me....

I'll try from from (external USB) DVD in the morning - but fear whatever I try I may get a similar problem until I can sort out the MBR problem.

... but thanks for responding. I do appreciate all ideas (and hope that miomaka has more luck when they try their stick!)

geebake

geebake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

well thnx greg, but no luck. I tried repair disk on 10.5.7....and start over.....just no luck. HDD is totaly ok, no bad block, nothing..just stuck on boot screen....

I guess I should get me an USB flash 8 GB

Oddly enough, I had the exact opposite experience.I couldn't make an 8GB flash drive work to save my life. I ended up using an old 2.5" drive in an enclosure.

These are the types of things I've come to expect from Hackitoshing. Best of luck.

Greg

Sadly, yes. The errors I described all come during EasyBCD start-up - it is trying to write a new BCD but reports errors with the 'Vista' install, and loops back to the original question. I can either repeat the process or exit, but at no stage do any menu's or other options appear. This was rather a blow as I have previously used it (on Windows 7) to dig me out of similar holes when running an OsXxXx 10.5.6 installer. Changes I made at that time reversed the start-up order so MacOS X was in the first set of options - so was happy with that, but less happy now the install is screwed and EasyBCD won't work for me....

I'll try from from (external USB) DVD in the morning - but fear whatever I try I may get a similar problem until I can sort out the MBR problem.

... but thanks for responding. I do appreciate all ideas (and hope that miomaka has more luck when they try their stick!)

That is strange, though it seems familiar. I think I've seen that error at some point in my Hackinstoshing experience.

You might try a Gparted disk. It's also saved my bacon a few times. It's basically an Ubuntu boot disk that doesn't actually load the OS. Just disk utilities. Might work for you. Google it.

Good luck,

Greg

el_vecio

el_vecio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Great guide!

It's really what I was looking for!

I was just wondering if anyone managed to update to 10.6.2.

I heard of updating but replacing the kernel with the one patched from teateam http://www.insanelym...p...197020&st=0 and of using thee new SleepEnabler from Netkas but I can't get how to remove the old SleepEnabler. Any idea?

Thx for your help!

geebake

geebake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Great guide!

It's really what I was looking for!

I was just wondering if anyone managed to update to 10.6.2.

I heard of updating but replacing the kernel with the one patched from teateam http://www.insanelym...p...197020&st=0 and of using thee new SleepEnabler from Netkas but I can't get how to remove the old SleepEnabler. Any idea?

Thx for your help!

I suspect that a patched kernel would work, but I see nothing in 10.6.2 compelling enough to make me want to try it. I'm sure the day will come, but I'm happy with 10.6.1 for now.

jockey1010

jockey1010

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
If anyone is still having the problem of being stuck at the F2 F12 screen and it won't boot to your USB or even get past that screen, make sure you use NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3, because RC4 doesn't work, and make sure you copy the files to the extra folder that are posted in the first post, or else you'll get a kernal panic. Here's a link to RC3:

http://netbook-insta.....3 RC3.app.zip

Good luck

nikkieella

nikkieella

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
does anybody know if this guide can be used on an acer aspire one a150?? i saw the guide for the a150 but it involved wayy to much terminal for me. This guide looks much easier and it seems to me that the a150 and ZG5 are basicially the same. Can somebody help me on this?

Thanks

torrelant

torrelant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

does anybody know if this guide can be used on an acer aspire one a150?? i saw the guide for the a150 but it involved wayy to much terminal for me. This guide looks much easier and it seems to me that the a150 and ZG5 are basicially the same. Can somebody help me on this?

Thanks

It works for me. Just finish installing on my A150. Took me about 4 hrs to do all the processes. Basically it just take long time to installing on usb thumbdrive. Need to swap the wifi card with my old dell laptop to see if it will work though.

Hope this help you decide.

beedurand

beedurand

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So I'm back, having given up for a while... But the "Back up Copy" of windows 7 is reporting me as being naughty, so I try again.

I'm going to create a DVD this time with all of the gear loaded onto it! That should solve my issues right? I can just create an image and then copy that image with all the goodies to a CD and do a boot from that?

Could use some advice though, will the Netbookloader still work or do I have to have a thumbdrive/external drive?

If this doesn't work I don't know what to do.

Ubuntu maybe...

endorphines

endorphines

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just thought i'd mention that i used this method to great success on an aspire one a150. i obviously didn't follow it to the letter because of the different hardware. but if anyone else is wondering what sort of success can be had, now they know.
i followed this to the letter up to step 8, where i used aa1.zip from http://www.insanelym...amp;mode=linear instead. all of the appropriate files in it for this step (dsdt, etc).
also, all the kexts you need for step 9 are in the same file.
after that i followed it all the way to step 15 again. and kinda made up my own method after that...
i added my kexts with kexthelper and started installing apps. i ran the 10.6.1 update manually after i downloaded it since 10.6.2 is what's available through the updater.
my only issue is that when copying from the external drive to my internal one, somehow the receipts file for package installations got lost, so i couldn't now repair permissions with disk utility. i just tried it like 4 times and then it worked... i can't find a good reason for why it ever happened.
i got a dell 1500 wireless card. right after i got the install working properly, i took the machine apart and added it. now i have wireless N in Airport :-)

jl1101

jl1101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Got a problem
CPU runs only at 800MHz without external power supply
and it is SLOW
can't even watch youtube smoothly
any solutions on how to run the CPU at 1.6GHz with only the battery on?

gikku

gikku

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Sensational.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard up and running on the Acer One AOA150.
Evaluation Windows 7 set to expire so off it came to be replaced with 10.6.

On an intel Mac, in Disk Utility, restore 10.6 to a usb stick/usb external drive. Run NetBookBootMaker on the drive http://osx.mechdrew....ides/nbi1.shtml

Boot the Acer and install 10.6
Run NetBookBootMaker on the installed drive too.

Using Kext Utility run a bunch of AAO related kexts from these forums. AA1 or similar.
Update to 10.6.1, install a bunch of apps, office, iLife, iWork, ...
Reboot a bunch.
Repair Permissions liberally.

http://img113.yfrog....13/5547/u17.png

Only piece missing, wifi. Apart from this the whole deal was easier, IMHO, than setting up the previous Win7 beta trial install, wifi on that wasn't easy either.

Thanks to all that have posted previously.

emeryL

emeryL

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Others should note that step one requires a working Intel Mac with 10.5+. Trying to install Snow Leopard to the bootable USB drive from my PPC Mac didn't work (the installer says it can't install OS X on this Mac). Luckily I had an Intel Mac available to me as well, but this might be a deal-breaker for others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy