Usenet, Darwine, and Agent OH MY!

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

As a recent switcher (proud MBP Pro owner!) I'm loving life as Mac User. Everything is going great except my Usenet access. I was using Agent 3.x and beta 4.0 under Windows which was pretty slick. Sadly, no Usenet client I've found on the Mac side seems to be as mature as Agent under Windows. I tried Darwine but can't get the latest Agent 3.x to work under it.

Has anybody else gotten Agent to run or found a client as good as Agent under OS X?

Thanks,

-P

hellanzb is the best around. you search for nzbs via a site like newzleech.com

hellanzb automatically downloads the files, pars them and exracts them. all you have to do is save the nzb in a folder it monitors.

all-in-one, better than my newsleecher on windows

can be tricky to make run but ill help you if you need it, let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all,

As a recent switcher (proud MBP Pro owner!) I'm loving life as Mac User. Everything is going great except my Usenet access. I was using Agent 3.x and beta 4.0 under Windows which was pretty slick. Sadly, no Usenet client I've found on the Mac side seems to be as mature as Agent under Windows. I tried Darwine but can't get the latest Agent 3.x to work under it.

Has anybody else gotten Agent to run or found a client as good as Agent under OS X?

Thanks,

-P

I currently have NewsLeecher running under OS X with the leaked version of CrossOver Mac. I'm sure Agent would probably work too, as Agent has always been pretty good with WINE under Linux.

How does Hellanzb measure up to iGrabNews...I'm used to GrabIt on XP, which was far better than newzleecher (wierd decoding issues) IMO.

Hellanzb is quite a bit different and harder to set up, but it works amazing once you do. Its a python program that runs in terminal.

Basically it monitors a folder for nzbs (download them from binsearch.com or newzleech.com). Stick the nzb in the folder and it automatically downloads all the files, the exact amount of pars it needs, verifies the pars, and then extracts, all on its own. 100% automated binaries downloading.

Plus, unlike newsleecher, its free.

PM me if you need help setting up. Some files need to be slightly modified (not difficult).

BTW Grabit is simply a waste, so slow to decode. Though the most recent release is much better.