Dell Inspiron 545 SL Install Please help!

bigoats

43 posts in this topic

Sorry my English is not very good, I do not understand everything you write,

Does that mean you've managed to install Snow Leopard on your Dell inspiron 545mt?

if so, could you please explain how you did, step by step

I am ready to change my graphics card if necessary

Thank you

Sorry my English is not very good, I do not understand everything you write,

Does that mean you've managed to install Snow Leopard on your Dell inspiron 545mt?

if so, could you please explain how you did, step by step

I am ready to change my graphics card if necessary

Thank you

Do you have any existing Mac to setup your install disk?

Are you going to install Mac on your 2nd partition of 1st hard disk or a separate harddisk?

No, just waiting to know if the manipulation works on the 545mt for getting started.

If so I would rather use the official version of Snow Leopard, and if necessary also would add a second hard disk.

That's why I told you if you can to post a sort of tutorial to explain the handling from beginning to end, once you have passed.

Thank you

I do not think another detailed step by step guide is necessary.

There are already many guides out there that described in detail the steps of installation.

More importantly are the differences and problems related to Dell 545 MT hardware in the installation.

I am not a pro and I considered myself lucky to set up one.

I have

- existing iMac

- 1 external USB HD

- 2 internal HDs (HD1 installed with Windows 7, HD2 - blank to be used for Snow Leopard)

I use the existing iMac set up (copy DVD image, use the correct kexts & chameleon) Mac OS X Install DVD on my USB HD. (for this step, refer to many standard guides out there). Details here:

The installer was setup using macloader 0.41 with the following kexts

• NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext (from netkas)
  • AppleRTC.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext (from netkas)
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext

Problems:

1. Installer cannot see HD2 (I plugged out HD1 that was installed with Win 7 to avoid complications)

This is due to my BIOS being set to IDE (not RAID). Only 2 options in BIOS (IDE/RAID). After setting to RAID, my installer is able to see HD2 which I proceeded to install SL.

2. After completion of installation of SL on HD2, SL failed to boot up.

First I had to change HD2 to use SATA0 port (originally I used SATA5 because HD1 with Windows 7 came connected with SATA0)

Then I had to set the BIOS from RAID back to IDE before SL can boot.

That's all. Good luck.

No, just waiting to know if the manipulation works on the 545mt for getting started.

If so I would rather use the official version of Snow Leopard, and if necessary also would add a second hard disk.

That's why I told you if you can to post a sort of tutorial to explain the handling from beginning to end, once you have passed.

Thank you

I'm thinking of buying this desktop because of its price and form factor, but I want to hackintosh it so from what I gather from this thread sound doesn't work nor ehternet? Also, that is only if you can get it to recognize your HDD?

Ethernet seems to be working as seen from the profiler. I don't use wired LAN so I cannot verify.

Sound ALC888 is working now. I didnt even know how I did it... the last seems to be editing, compiling and installing the dsdt.dsl file. No VoodooHDA, no modified AppleHDA.kext or anything.

By replacing yours with the section from Device(HDEF) to the line before Device (LNKB)

Nvidia GT220 is also working now with QE/CI using NVEnabler 64bit. Without NVEnabler, works only in 1280x1024 resolution (since NVDAResman and NVDANV50Hal kexts not loaded).

2 problems remaining:

a. System restarts by itself after I shutdown.

b. System unable to wake up after I sleep.

post-539822-1264696921_thumb.png

post-539822-1264696978_thumb.png

dsdt.dsl.zip

• 4 weeks later...

I have achieved partial Snow Leopard Success. First post ever, anywhere so please bare with me.

Specs:

Original Specs: Dell 545 with Q9400 Quad, 8GB ram, WD 750GB with native Vista Install. MOtherboard is DG33M06 with the A12 bios flashed.

I changed powersupply. Added a Galaxy GTS250 Nvidia Video Card. Two Seagate 500GB SATA HD's, I had them on hand. Bios settings are default as far as I can tell. I know SATA is set to IDE. My Snow drive is on SATA 0. DVD is on Sata 1. Vista is on Sata 4. Leo is on Sata 5. MOnitor is Acer 241W connected through DVI1. Keyboard is Microsoft Comfort Curver 2000 and a generic USB mouse.

1. Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 to 1 of the 500GB drives by booting from Kalyway. No problems with basc 1024x768 and can change to 1920x1200x32 at commandline boot or with kext modifying.

2. Followed 1 of the dozens of guides to install to SL (upgrade bought directly from Best Biy) to a 8GB USB drive. Installed MyHack- "myHack Installer 1.0 RC5.2 Released", http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/02/myhack...rc5-2-released/ and customized installed to USB drive. I checked and unchecked various choices as I read the descriptions. I cannot remember which at this time.

3. I rebooted and used F12 from the boot screen (This function of dell bios kicks you know what) and chose to boot from the USB drive. From the myhack bootloader, I picked my usb drive.

4. Installed to the appropriate drive (Snow). My last install caused the monitor to indicate that it couldn't see the computer (light turned amber.) The screen before it went blank showed 10-15 minutes so I let it run until the computer rebooted. This took all my patience but the USB and HD lights were blinking away.

5. When it rebooted and I used F12 from the boot screen and chose to boot from the USB drive. From the myhack bootloader, I picked the Snow hard drive.

6. After running though all the Mac OSX installation options (and jumping around like an Idiot), I ran the myhack installer from the usb drive with the same options as before but installed it to the snow drive.

7. I rebooted without the usb drive and everthing works but audio and wired networking.

8. I installed 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 by downloading through vista and leopard (Kaylway) respectively, (no network yet.)

9. I plugged my usb headphones in and they work, so I have some sound.

The Leopard system tells me it is using the RealtekR1000.kext but I cannot get any 64 bit versions to work. The hardware is identified as RTL8101E/RTL8102E.

My sound is not working in Snow and my audio is reported as Realtek High Definition Audio.

I hope this helps someone.

I did not give credit to all the sources I read on the net and here and honestly cannot remember them all.

BTW, I did not modify any kexts at this time. I have crashed this install a few times with various RealtekR1000 kexts. No dsdt patching either.

To get full sound, try editing your dsdt.dsl using DSDTSE (DSDT editor - may get from http://ww.kexts.com).

The portion to be changed is stated in my previous posting. Replace AZAL with HDEF.

No other additional audio kext should be required, at least for my mobo DG33M06.

I have achieved partial Snow Leopard Success. First post ever, anywhere so please bare with me.

Specs:

Original Specs: Dell 545 with Q9400 Quad, 8GB ram, WD 750GB with native Vista Install. MOtherboard is DG33M06 with the A12 bios flashed.

I changed powersupply. Added a Galaxy GTS250 Nvidia Video Card. Two Seagate 500GB SATA HD's, I had them on hand. Bios settings are default as far as I can tell. I know SATA is set to IDE. My Snow drive is on SATA 0. DVD is on Sata 1. Vista is on Sata 4. Leo is on Sata 5. MOnitor is Acer 241W connected through DVI1. Keyboard is Microsoft Comfort Curver 2000 and a generic USB mouse.

1. Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 to 1 of the 500GB drives by booting from Kalyway. No problems with basc 1024x768 and can change to 1920x1200x32 at commandline boot or with kext modifying.

2. Followed 1 of the dozens of guides to install to SL (upgrade bought directly from Best Biy) to a 8GB USB drive. Installed MyHack- "myHack Installer 1.0 RC5.2 Released", http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/02/myhack...rc5-2-released/ and customized installed to USB drive. I checked and unchecked various choices as I read the descriptions. I cannot remember which at this time.

3. I rebooted and used F12 from the boot screen (This function of dell bios kicks you know what) and chose to boot from the USB drive. From the myhack bootloader, I picked my usb drive.

4. Installed to the appropriate drive (Snow). My last install caused the monitor to indicate that it couldn't see the computer (light turned amber.) The screen before it went blank showed 10-15 minutes so I let it run until the computer rebooted. This took all my patience but the USB and HD lights were blinking away.

5. When it rebooted and I used F12 from the boot screen and chose to boot from the USB drive. From the myhack bootloader, I picked the Snow hard drive.

6. After running though all the Mac OSX installation options (and jumping around like an Idiot), I ran the myhack installer from the usb drive with the same options as before but installed it to the snow drive.

7. I rebooted without the usb drive and everthing works but audio and wired networking.

8. I installed 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 by downloading through vista and leopard (Kaylway) respectively, (no network yet.)

9. I plugged my usb headphones in and they work, so I have some sound.

The Leopard system tells me it is using the RealtekR1000.kext but I cannot get any 64 bit versions to work. The hardware is identified as RTL8101E/RTL8102E.

My sound is not working in Snow and my audio is reported as Realtek High Definition Audio.

I hope this helps someone.

I did not give credit to all the sources I read on the net and here and honestly cannot remember them all.

BTW, I did not modify any kexts at this time. I have crashed this install a few times with various RealtekR1000 kexts. No dsdt patching either.

rduke,

1. does your shutdown work properly (without self rebooting after system halt)?

2. can you wake up your snow after issuing an explicit sleep instruction?

Thanks.

Specs:

To get full sound, try editing your dsdt.dsl using DSDTSE (DSDT editor - may get from http://ww.kexts.com).

The portion to be changed is stated in my previous posting. Replace AZAL with HDEF.

No other additional audio kext should be required, at least for my mobo DG33M06.

rduke,

1. does your shutdown work properly (without self rebooting after system halt)?

2. can you wake up your snow after issuing an explicit sleep instruction?

Thanks.

Shutdown and rebooting both reboot the system.

I haven't tried sleep/hibernate.

Thanks for point out the DSDT fix. I'll try today.

Hi guys - I used to have this system before and I had leopard on it. But that was before :P It's gone so I don't have any of my old DSDT files. Can you post the unedited DSDT and maybe I can fix it. Also if you could post your device ID data that you can get from EvoToolsX in Mac or Everest in PC then we'd know how to better add it to the DSDT. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
any idea what kext caused the crash? Was it sleep enabler?

I didn't try anything but reinstall 10.6.2 since it was first week of update. I was waiting on more info from others.

Sorry

• 5 months later...

10.6.4 successfully installed.

Installed the latest version of the myHack boot manager previous referenced. installed it with the same options checked and unchecked as in earlier instructions.

I ran the 10.6.4 combo update from both 10.6.0 and 10.6.2 installs and worked like a charm on all 3 computers. I ran the system updater and updated everything but 10.6.5.

World of Warcraft required 10.6.4 to take advantage of improved graphics.

No problems yet.

;)