HP XW8600 ?

Kari_Juhani

29 posts in this topic

Easiest path is to have two blank hard drives to begin with...

Boot into a Live distro of Linux, I used Ubuntu 10.10 FYI, though that's not critically important

Then use dd in linux to copy the entire OS X DVD - I used 10.6.0

dd if=/dev/(your CD/DVD device) of=/dev/(device name of one of your blank hard drives)

eg dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdb

Use fdisk -l to check the device names or something like disk utility or gparted

Once you've got the DVD duplicated to one hard drive you can navigate to the relevant kexts and either remove or modify the contents using nautilus - "gksu nautilus" will get the window manger running under root privileges

Remove IOATAFamily.kext if booting from a duplicate of anything lower than 10.6.3

Edit the info.plist inside the AppleAHCIPORT.kext, there is a device id 2681 in the second set of devices, change it to 2682 and save.

I can't give you a step by step as I hosed my install at least half a dozen times and had to recover it with various means

Using ###### or another Chameleon boot disk (CD) to start booting from the hard drive installer.

Once the system in installed, you will have to remove the IOATAFamily.kext from the installed system, otherwise it won't boot correctly.

Updating to 10.6.8 was as simple as downloading the combo Update and running.

peace out

Easiest path is to have two blank hard drives to begin with...

Boot into a Live distro of Linux, I used Ubuntu 10.10 FYI, though that's not critically important

Then use dd in linux to copy the entire OS X DVD - I used 10.6.0

dd if=/dev/(your CD/DVD device) of=/dev/(device name of one of your blank hard drives)

eg dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdb

Use fdisk -l to check the device names or something like disk utility or gparted

Once you've got the DVD duplicated to one hard drive you can navigate to the relevant kexts and either remove or modify the contents using nautilus - "gksu nautilus" will get the window manger running under root privileges

Remove IOATAFamily.kext if booting from a duplicate of anything lower than 10.6.3

Edit the info.plist inside the AppleAHCIPORT.kext, there is a device id 2681 in the second set of devices, change it to 2682 and save.

I can't give you a step by step as I hosed my install at least half a dozen times and had to recover it with various means

Using ###### or another Chameleon boot disk (CD) to start booting from the hard drive installer.

Once the system in installed, you will have to remove the IOATAFamily.kext from the installed system, otherwise it won't boot correctly.

Updating to 10.6.8 was as simple as downloading the combo Update and running.

peace out

Thanx but i don't use linux and i need Lion ;-)

But many thanks for the instruction

you don't need to use (install) Linux, just download a live distro and run it directly, no install necessary from the CD/DVD or USB flash drive.

I think Lion may actually be easier to install as you won't have to deal with the IOATAFamily kernel panic.

I don't have a copy of Lion so can't help with anythng specific related to that editon

peace out

• 5 months later...

Has anyone got their xw8600's SAS disks to show up in OSX (10.7.5 or 10.8.x) ?

Is there a driver for the LSI Logic 1068X ?

Thanks

ok nvm. I did see the AppleLSIFusionMPT kext and I've changed the device ID accordingly to pci1000,54 under IONameMatch.

The SAS controller does show up in profiler, but the disks do not. Any ideas?

SAS Domain 0:

Vendor: LSILogic
Product: UNUSED
Revision: Firmware 1.22.1.0, NVData version 4
Initiator Identifier: 112
SAS Address: 50:01:10:A0:00:58:9E:72

Edited by gawdemmet

Guess I'm gonna answer my own Q.

After a lot of tweaking around it seems that, although OSX 10.7 supports the SAS drives, it only supports them as separate drives. It doesn't support the RAID setup made with the LSI Logic utility in the LSI BIOS. You can however make a JBOD drive with OSX's disk utility once it sees both drives as separate drives (Non-RAID)

The reason why I couldn't see the drives was due to them being setup as RAID0 in the LSI BIOS. Once I deleted the array in the LSI BIOS, then OSX could see both drives as separate.

For those having trouble configuring SAS drives on hp xw8600 workstations, you can google a doc called "installing and configuring SAS hardware raid on hp workstations". The first section "LSI 3041E and Integrated

LSI 1064/1068 Setup" covers how to setup (or in my case delete) a RAID on the built-in LSI 1068 controller.

HTH