Gigabyte Ga-eg45m-ud2h Update working 10.6.2

tinush

137 posts in this topic

This is getting so frustrating.. Im restoring now for the 4th Time or so.. The injector worked great. I removed the -32 bootflag from the com.apple.Boot.plist cause the site you linked to said 64x only. It booted Fine and the kext was loaded because now my screen was properly identified and the screen resolutions were right. In short: everything was cool.. .. until i installed the .2 update. I can't imagine, that the update would overwrite any kexts so why on earth us this happening? :D I guess i'll just stick to .0 for the time being. Unless you can come up with some brilliant fix that is ;) If you don't thats okay too. :) You have helped me so much with all this so thank you very much!

This is getting so frustrating.. Im restoring now for the 4th Time or so.. The injector worked great. I removed the -32 bootflag from the com.apple.Boot.plist cause the site you linked to said 64x only. It booted Fine and the kext was loaded because now my screen was properly identified and the screen resolutions were right. In short: everything was cool.. .. until i installed the .2 update. I can't imagine, that the update would overwrite any kexts so why on earth us this happening? :( I guess i'll just stick to .0 for the time being. Unless you can come up with some brilliant fix that is ;) If you don't thats okay too. :) You have helped me so much with all this so thank you very much!

Ok very weird, maybe there's something wrong with the files

the file only pack was the last update so here are all my files for 10.6.2

btw the applehda.kext is x32 so i guess you have no sound

Extensions.zip

Yeah well i've got a audiointerface, which i use for sound so thats no problem. Do you think, i should give those files you attached a try? First i make another backup though.. Now i've got bootthink installed on hd and the nvidia enabler is working. (i'm on .0 of course).. In the extencions folder i've got the kexts from the pack in the first post. So the ones you attached now are newer?

Yeah well i've got a audiointerface, which i use for sound so thats no problem. Do you think, i should give those files you attached a try? First i make another backup though.. Now i've got bootthink installed on hd and the nvidia enabler is working. (i'm on .0 of course).. In the extencions folder i've got the kexts from the pack in the first post. So the ones you attached now are newer?

some files maybe newer. ok so no need for the applehda.kext

maybe i missed it but what was the kp you got after the 10.6.2 update?

T

Okay i found this thread which provided me with a solution! Or rather a workaround. So if anyone has the same problem (black screen on boot after 10.6.2 update) there you'll find the answere.

Is there a way for me to get speed step to work? I've got a P4 E5400 dual core 2,5GHz.. I haven't edited any of the files you have provided (except for the uuid) Should I edit some cpu info somewhere or is that just "cosmetical"? :( About this mac says Processor: 2.57GHz Unknown and Memory: 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM..

Another thing: How can i install for excample ubuntu or windows 7 aside snow leo? I don't wont grub or the windows7 bootloader to mess things up. I assume i cannot use bootcamp..?

And another thing: :) My mouse makes random frame skips.. It's pretty weird and annoying. The faster i move the mouse, the longer or larger the skip is.. Anyone experiencing similar problems?

EDIT: Mouse lagging dissapeard after some updates.. Can't remember which though. -> I'm so happy!! And all thanks to you tinush!!

Okay i found this thread which provided me with a solution! Or rather a workaround. So if anyone has the same problem (black screen on boot after 10.6.2 update) there you'll find the answere.

Is there a way for me to get speed step to work? I've got a P4 E5400 dual core 2,5GHz.. I haven't edited any of the files you have provided (except for the uuid) Should I edit some cpu info somewhere or is that just "cosmetical"? :D About this mac says Processor: 2.57GHz Unknown and Memory: 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM..

Another thing: How can i install for excample ubuntu or windows 7 aside snow leo? I don't wont grub or the windows7 bootloader to mess things up. I assume i cannot use bootcamp..?

And another thing: :) My mouse makes random frame skips.. It's pretty weird and annoying. The faster i move the mouse, the longer or larger the skip is.. Anyone experiencing similar problems?

EDIT: Mouse lagging dissapeard after some updates.. Can't remember which though. -> I'm so happy!! And all thanks to you tinush!!

;) OK so almost there

first edit smbios.plist for cpu type and memory speed etc...

you can also use the cpuinjector.kext to get the cpu recognised and put in the extensions folder with fakesmc.kext etc

for speedstep look at the attached files and put cpui.kext (it only works in x32 so edit com.apple.boot.plist) in the extensions folder with fakesmc.kext etc

After reboot run cpu-i app and attache de image here then i can edit the dsdt

for installing a xtra Os, the best thing to do is run it on a second hd (disconnect the snow drive before installing new Os)

T

edit some people have complaint about the mouse lag with nvidia 8xxx card's, they removed the appleupstream.kext

Cpui.zip

post-157612-1269011614_thumb.png

umm.. Where do i edit the cpu type in smbios? I see only memory and board related lines.. Is the memory manufacturer important? Can't remember what mine was :) Should i use the actual speed my memory is running at or the one in the product info?

EDIT: i did a little bit of researching and it seems that my cpu is not supported.. :( It's not a core 2, but a pentium 4 dual core.. :( Damn.. Can i trick osx into thinking i've got a core 2 or is that somehow dangerous..? :/

umm.. Where do i edit the cpu type in smbios? I see only memory and board related lines.. Is the memory manufacturer important? Can't remember what mine was :) Should i use the actual speed my memory is running at or the one in the product info?

EDIT: i did a little bit of researching and it seems that my cpu is not supported.. :( It's not a core 2, but a pentium 4 dual core.. :( Damn.. Can i trick osx into thinking i've got a core 2 or is that somehow dangerous..? :/

see attached smbios.plist from a p5k-vm or use as stated above the injector

smbios.plist_p5k_vm.zip

Allright. I think for once i followed your instructions right so I've got some P-States for you :) Some speedstepping is working already which i find pretty interesting.. The lowest multiplier is used in idle but even with prime95 running torture test it won't go higher than 9.5 (12.5 is max) :) But i assume that we're gonna fix that with the new dsdt? Thanks again tinush! I owe you a million beers already :)

By the way. Is it only the cpu-i kext and app that are working in 32bit only or is it the whole speedstep thing? In other words: If everything will work out and my speedstep will work (in 32bit mode), can i just remove the cpu-i kext and app and boot into 64bit mode (with working speedstep)?

And another thing: The mouse lag has returned.. :( It has something to do with iTunes or Quicktime being opened, or so i've read. I also tried it. As soon as iTunes starts the lagging begins. You mentioned something about deleting the appleupstream.kext. I tried to search for it but i haven't found it..? Would you by any chance know where it might be if not in /System/Library/Extensions/? :)

EDIT: Ofcourse it was in /System/Library/Extensions i just overlooked it or something.. it was called appleUpstreamUserClient.kext though but more importantly it DID THE TRICK! Now i'm truly freed from the annoying mouse lagging! Is there something you DON'T know? :D

P_States_1_8.tiff

P_States_7_14.tiff

Allright. I think for once i followed your instructions right so I've got some P-States for you :) Some speedstepping is working already which i find pretty interesting.. The lowest multiplier is used in idle but even with prime95 running torture test it won't go higher than 9.5 (12.5 is max) :) But i assume that we're gonna fix that with the new dsdt? Thanks again tinush! I owe you a million beers already :)

By the way. Is it only the cpu-i kext and app that are working in 32bit only or is it the whole speedstep thing? In other words: If everything will work out and my speedstep will work (in 32bit mode), can i just remove the cpu-i kext and app and boot into 64bit mode (with working speedstep)?

And another thing: The mouse lag has returned.. :( It has something to do with iTunes or Quicktime being opened, or so i've read. I also tried it. As soon as iTunes starts the lagging begins. You mentioned something about deleting the appleupstream.kext. I tried to search for it but i haven't found it..? Would you by any chance know where it might be if not in /System/Library/Extensions/? :)

Thnx i think it's a bit expensive to send a case of beer :D

see image for the appleupstream kext, don't forget to repair permissions after you delete the kext

i got enough info to edit the dsdt, but thats gone be tomorrow

Yep if you have all info on speedstep and tested that the new dsdt is fully working, you can delete the cpu-i.kext and get back to x64

i will also remove all audio/hdef parts from the dsdt so you can get a faster boot

T

Thnx i think it's a bit expensive to send a case of beer :(

see image for the appleupstream kext, don't forget to repair permissions after you delete the kext

i got enough info to edit the dsdt, but thats gone be tomorrow

Yep if you have all info on speedstep and tested that the new dsdt is fully working, you can delete the cpu-i.kext and get back to x64

i will also remove all audio/hdef parts from the dsdt so you can get a faster boot

T

ok dsdt fixed

btw check the dsl version to see if al numbers are there and correct

Dsdt_speedstep.zip

btw check the dsl version to see if al numbers are there and correct

Hmm.. since i have no clue of dsdt:s and i opened the dsl version in textedit and saw many numbers.. i just cross my fingers and believe that all numbers are there and correct :(

EDIT:

I had a damn fast boot, i give you that :) Only now my graphics card isn't recognized (im in 800x600) and the multiplier is at 12.5 constantly..

Maybe i did something wrong.. I just replaced the old dsdt with the new one (aml version) and changed owner and group to root:wheel. Did i miss something?

Hmm.. since i have no clue of dsdt:s and i opened the dsl version in textedit and saw many numbers.. i just cross my fingers and believe that all numbers are there and correct :(

EDIT:

I had a damn fast boot, i give you that :) Only now my graphics card isn't recognized (im in 800x600) and the multiplier is at 12.5 constantly..

Maybe i did something wrong.. I just replaced the old dsdt with the new one (aml version) and changed owner and group to root:wheel. Did i miss something?

are you still in x32?

Here you go

But i don't use the injector. It worked with the dsdt out of the first post but with 10.6.1 kexts (NVDANV50HAL and NVDAResman)

EDIT: So, to clarify: the attached dsdt worked both in 32bit and 64bit, only speedstep was limited to 9.5 multiplier and graficscard was recognized as a 9600 GT 512MB

dsdt.zip

Here you go

But i don't use the injector. It worked with the dsdt out of the first post but with 10.6.1 kexts (NVDANV50HAL and NVDAResman)

EDIT: So, to clarify: the attached dsdt worked both in 32bit and 64bit, only speedstep was limited to 9.5 multiplier and graficscard was recognized as a 9600 GT 512MB

OK, i got one problem and that is i got a compilation remark and i don't know if it has a effect on speedstep

Because this is a first for me with more the 10 p-states

maybe this dsdt can work i don't know

dsdt is unrelated to x32/x64

T

OK, i got one problem and that is i got a compilation remark and i don't know if it has a effect on speedstep

Because this is a first for me with more the 10 p-states

maybe this dsdt can work i don't know

dsdt is unrelated to x32/x64

T

ok got it, no more remarks

post-157612-1269090984_thumb.png

Dsdt_8600gts_no_hdef_speedstep_2.zip

Dsdt_8600gts_part3_no_remarks.zip

Dude, you rock! It works! It just works! And the graphiccard is displayed correctly too! :) My cpu has never been so hot though.. :P I ran prime for a while and it went up to 58°C.. 74°C is Tcase max.. And i've got a pretty good cooler.. Maybe bios always throttled in windows before? But I'm not concerned. It was a cheap cpu and if it works a year or two i'm happy. Thank you so much tinush! You invested so much time and effort in helping me. I can paypal you like 5€ or so! I'm a poor student, can't afford more but if that's okay, let me know! :)

Dude, you rock! It works! It just works! And the graphiccard is displayed correctly too! :) My cpu has never been so hot though.. :P I ran prime for a while and it went up to 58°C.. 74°C is Tcase max.. And i've got a pretty good cooler.. Maybe bios always throttled in windows before? But I'm not concerned. It was a cheap cpu and if it works a year or two i'm happy. Thank you so much tinush! You invested so much time and effort in helping me. I can paypal you like 5€ or so! I'm a poor student, can't afford more but if that's okay, let me know! :P

just get the Snow install dvd from the Apple store and i'm happy

I know with this dsdt the cpu is about 5c hotter (all def. done by mm67), but it has allot less text in than normal, so faster boot etc.

Yep also done the gfx >8600gts

:)

I will do that. Is it the 29€ Snow Leopard 10.6 ? Just wondering, because it says something about upgade your leopard. Not that leopard would be required or so..? Is it possible to restore my programs, settings ect? I know i don't have much on the machine yet but still. Would be very convenient..

I will do that. Is it the 29€ Snow Leopard 10.6 ? Just wondering, because it says something about upgade your leopard. Not that leopard would be required or so..? Is it possible to restore my programs, settings ect? I know i don't have much on the machine yet but still. Would be very convenient..

it's the same upgrade/full version, if you own a real mac > you upgrade