SL killing my DVD drive [solved]

ampersAnd

7 posts in this topic

Hi everybody.

Tried to find solution by myself, but never sow somebody reports about the same issue :(

I've 10.6.0 retail installed, and everything was works OOB (except of sound, but it's ok now), BUT: when I open the DVD drive (no matter which way: by hardware button or using keyboard combination) it opens very fast and keeps trying to eject it more (drive keeps buzzing) untill I press the button again. Than it stops to buzz but tray stays ejected. Press the button again - drive tries to eject the tray again. There is no way to close the drive but put it back manually (OS things that tray is open anyway).

If I boot 10.5.7 - it works alrgight.

:blink: I don't even know the way to look finding a solution.

MB is Asus p5b, DVD - some simple ASUS (SATA).

Any help will be appreciated

10.6.1 update make this issue disappered

Hi everybody.

Tried to find solution by myself, but never sow somebody reports about the same issue :(

I've 10.6.0 retail installed, and everything was works OOB (except of sound, but it's ok now), BUT: when I open the DVD drive (no matter which way: by hardware button or using keyboard combination) it opens very fast and keeps trying to eject it more (drive keeps buzzing) untill I press the button again. Than it stops to buzz but tray stays ejected. Press the button again - drive tries to eject the tray again. There is no way to close the drive but put it back manually (OS things that tray is open anyway).

If I boot 10.5.7 - it works alrgight.

:) I don't even know the way to look finding a solution.

MB is Asus p5b, DVD - some simple ASUS (SATA).

Any help will be appreciated

I have the same DVD drive and same board. After many tries to install SL, i finally killed my DVD drive. symptom exactly like yours except mine now happen in both 10.5.7 and Vista.

i'm sorry abiut Your drive.

so, for now I live w/o dvd (have about 30 gigs on different usb-flash drives), but.... if there is a problem, why didn't I see same reports before :) and is there anybody tries to solve it? I wish I could, but I don't thnka I've got enough knows about.

All i can is to try another drive and see if it helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a same problem like you and I have 10.6.2 update.

ASUS DRW-2014L1T drive and GA-P35-DS3L mobo.

Kexts I use:

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Dont know what to do :-(

• 2 years later...

Hi.

Looks like the 10.6.1 update saved my DVD. After this is done (using builtin Software Update) DVD tray came back to normal work.

does Apple make updates for hacintoshes already? :)

I know it is an old topic, but I have the same DVD and the same problem.

Someone have found a solution?

Thanks... :)