Snow Leopard on Dell Inspiron 6400 - Working!

trikks

44 posts in this topic

I have the Snow Leopard Box Set. The hard drive for my Dell 6400 mounts to my other Mac, I use Disk Utility successfully to Format the drive as specified, Snow Leopard installs correctly and here is where it goes south. Chameleon will not install. It always ends with an error that is not specified so I'm lost. Since Chameleon fails you know I'm going to get a kernel panic the minute it tries to boot when I place the HD back in the Dell 6400 laptop and try to boot.

I'm using the install package i6400.zip, downloaded from the link above. The Ethernet and sound packages are exceptions, they install successfully but the mouse and keyboard also fail. All of the packages go through most of the installation steps and then suddenly end with the message that the installation failed, contact the manufacturer.

This is my hardware:

Dell Inspiron e1505/6400

Firmware A17

Intel Core Duo T2350 1.86Ghz Processor

2Gb RAM

WD 160GB SATA Hard Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Dell Wireless 1390 network adapter

Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Charles

• 2 weeks later...
The install files (like GMA950) give me an error when trying to install: "Install Failed. The following install step failed: run preinstall script for gma950. contact the software manufacturer for assistance"

Anyone know why I'm getting this error on each install file?

I get the same problem. I did manage to find some other sources for the "PS2FixKeyboard" on Google. No luck however with GMA950. When running this (and after installing RC3 of Chameleon which supports Snow Leopard) I manage to get the computer to boot.

If I run login to single user mode, the keyboard doesn't work. So I can't do any modifications there.

If I try to run normal boot, the screen goes black after a while and then I can't do anything.

So, no boot without RC3 of Chameleon. (Fixed)

Very poor performance until I disabled dual core in BIOS. (Fixed)

No keyboard. Any leads would be appreciated.

No graphics. Dito.

Can not install OSX86 tools. (This seems to be discontinued)

Does anybody know how to get this to work?

Note: I'm using a MacBook with the HDD from the Dell connected via USB to run the installation.

I get the same problem. I did manage to find some other sources for the "PS2FixKeyboard" on Google. No luck however with GMA950. When running this (and after installing RC3 of Chameleon which supports Snow Leopard) I manage to get the computer to boot.

If I run login to single user mode, the keyboard doesn't work. So I can't do any modifications there.

If I try to run normal boot, the screen goes black after a while and then I can't do anything.

So, no boot without RC3 of Chameleon. (Fixed)

Very poor performance until I disabled dual core in BIOS. (Fixed)

No keyboard. Any leads would be appreciated.

No graphics. Dito.

Can not install OSX86 tools. (This seems to be discontinued)

Does anybody know how to get this to work?

Note: I'm using a MacBook with the HDD from the Dell connected via USB to run the installation.

everything you need is here. there is no need for special gma950 drivers. it will run with native gma950.

there is also a fix for c2d (both cores will work).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well mine says it installed correctly then reboots

uses chameleon......and gma chipset.....apple logo comes up with spinning wheel then the screen goes black

here is wat is says at boot

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-rc4_pcefi-10.5_aserebln r

vesa v3.0 7mb intel 82945gm chipset

then apple logo then black screen

this is wats in the distro

SnowLeo Mac OSX86 for intel/AMD (32/64) ENG.

by director A. K.

boot.plist = 32 bit default.

| | +-o System

| | |-Base Package

| | |-Rosetta

| | |-X11User

| | |-Tools

| | |

| | +-o Chameleon Loader

| | |-Chameleon RC4 PC-EFI 10.5 (asereBLN)

| | |-Chameleon RC4 PC-EFI 10.6

| | |-Chameleon RC5 Pre11 Recursor's

| | |-Chameleon 2 PC-EFI 10

| | |-Chameleon 1 PC-EFI 9.4

| | |

| | +-o AMD Patch (BETA)

| | |

| | +-o ChipSet

| | |-Intel AHCI

| | |-ApplePXIIATA

| | |-Nforce ATA

| | |-Super Nforce ATA

| | |-VIA ATA

| | |-Super VIA

| | |-JMicron ATA

| | |-MB36x SATA

| | |

| | +-o Video Card

| | |--Intel

| | |-GMAX950

| | |-GMAX3100

| | |-GMAX3500

| | |-GMAX4500

| | |--Nvidia

| | |-Natit

| | |-NVEnabler

| | |-NVInject

| | |--ATI

| | |-ATI Init

| | |-EvoEnabler

| | |-ATI Redeon HD

| | |

| | +-o Network Card

| | |--LAN

| | |-BCM440X

| | |-BCM5785

| | |-Intel 82566M

| | |-NforceLan

| | |-RTL 8139

| | |-RTL 8169

| | |-AppleYukon2Injector

| | |-AttansicL1eEthernet

| | |-AttansicL1Ethernet

| | |-Intel Pro100

| | |-ViaRhine

| | |--Wifi

| | |-Realtek R1000

| | |-Atheros AR5005

| | |-Atheros AR5007

| | |-Marvel Yukon

| | |-AtherosWifiAdapter

| | |-D-LinkDWL-G520

| | |

| | +-o Audio Card

| | |-VoodooHDA

| | |-HDA Enabler

| | |-LegacyHDA

| | |-AppleAzalioAudio

| | |-AppleAC'97

| | |

| | +-o System Patches

| | |-DSDT Patcher-GUI

| | |-FakeSMC

| | |-NullCPUPM

| | |-PlatformUUID

| | |-Sleep Enabler

| | |-ApplePS2

| | |-USB Patch

| | |-IOATAFamily K.P. Fix

| | |-IOPCIFamily Fix

| | |-AppleRTC

| | |-FramebufferDisabler

| | |-SmBIOS.plist (imac 11,1)

| | |-UUID

| | |

| | +-o Notebook Patches

| | |-AcpiBatterymanager

| | |-VoodooBattery

| | |-Voodoo Power Mini

| | |-Vodoo Psate+monitor app

| | |-VoodooPS2withTrackPad

| | |-Thermal Kext

| | |

| | +-o Kernel

| | |-10.6.2 Kernel - Pcj XNU Release V0.9

| | |-Coco Kernel

| | |-Intel Atom Kernel

| | |==============

wat didnt i do....i basically let in install and thats it was i suppose to do something else?

something with the bootloader?

and yes im a noob...lol....

well mine says it installed correctly then reboots

uses chameleon......and gma chipset.....apple logo comes up with spinning wheel then the screen goes black

almost there. Look at this post and follow instructions on how to trick the black screen problem via a script. Since you already got a black screen the only option is to use an external monitor or inject the necessary files from another OSX.

you have the same laptop. might as well also use the com.apple.Boot.plist in that post as it has the efi string for gma950.

good luck

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed Mac OS X (10.2) retail on an external hard drive using snow leopard installation on a mac mini. Now when I try to follow the rest of your guide, and try to install the drivers etc, they all fail for me. Also when I try to boot my Dell Inspiron 6400 from the HD, it stops in the beginning giving a panic and telling me that I need to restart my computer by holding down the power button.

Any idea why the driver installations are failing?

Thanks

To be honest, both Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server works like a charm on these Dell Laptops. I always try to create as transparent hackintoshs as possible (as few hacks as possible, preferably an original install booted with a Chameleon or Boot 132 cd). This enables neat features like upgrading directly from the Apple Updater, and so on!

You need

1. A laptop, preferably an Inspiron 6400
  2. A Macintosh, or Hackintosh, to perform the initial tasks
  3. A Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Server installation DVD (buy one from Apple store)
  4. And if your equipment don't support several disks, an external chassis for your hard drive.
  5. This package with drivers and boot loaders

The rest of the guide can be found here, http://trikks.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/del...leopard-server/

Check the video proof at youtube,

• 1 month later...
I have the Snow Leopard Box Set. The hard drive for my Dell 6400 mounts to my other Mac, I use Disk Utility successfully to Format the drive as specified, Snow Leopard installs correctly and here is where it goes south. Chameleon will not install. It always ends with an error that is not specified so I'm lost. Since Chameleon fails you know I'm going to get a kernel panic the minute it tries to boot when I place the HD back in the Dell 6400 laptop and try to boot.

I'm using the install package i6400.zip, downloaded from the link above. The Ethernet and sound packages are exceptions, they install successfully but the mouse and keyboard also fail. All of the packages go through most of the installation steps and then suddenly end with the message that the installation failed, contact the manufacturer.

This is my hardware:

Dell Inspiron e1505/6400

Firmware A17

Intel Core Duo T2350 1.86Ghz Processor

2Gb RAM

WD 160GB SATA Hard Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Dell Wireless 1390 network adapter

Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Charles

Did you ever get this to work, I'm having the exact same problems?

• 2 months later...

Intel 3945 Wifi

Managed to install SL on Dell 6400.

Only airport I can not get worling.

Is there any progress on the Intel 3945 Wifi adapter?

Who has this working with which drivers?

regards

I do not think there are drivers for this wireless card. I swapped my Intel with a Dell card purchased on ebay. They are cheap. Another possibility is a USB adapter. I have tiny Buffalo WLI-UC-GN for my Lenovo laptop.

Still no luck with my Dell Inspiron 6400. Just a gray spinning wheel with apple logo. I got it working great on my Sony Vaio cr490 but the "About this Mac" does not work. the screen fades for a few seconds and then it takes me back to the desktop.

@DaveMason

try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEGQmEx7afE Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxxmSsfJjHk Part 2

I have snow leopard running almost perfectly. I got the resolution to 1280x800

no QE/CI

• 3 months later...

Yes, i've done it.

in both ways is it possible to get SL working on inspiron 6400.

With iAtkos S3 V2 the settings above was working fine.

With the "normal" Retail Cd the same.

Both ways i changed the extra folder and used the chameleon RC5 bootlader 699

Updated to SL 10.6.6 and Sleepenabler copied in Extra. OpenHaltRestart deleted.

Everything is working fine with the optional solutions of Voodoo PS2, PowerMini, P-State, Voodoo SDHC and Battery.

Changed Keyboard layout to PC (I found a file in the net)

Only the hibernation in both ways is not working.

Sleep with GMA 950 - the Display is not coming back from black

AppleGMA950.kext - Version 1.6.26

AppleintegratedFramebuffer - Version 1.4.20

DeepSleep - error Message "..not enough space to restore image..."

• 2 weeks later...

New comment:

Normal sleep works with the above kexts.

Install smart sleep and change to the mode "smart sleep"

Set in Bios a system password.

That's all.

When you close the display or press for sleep, the system goes to sleep and wakes up with a screen to force the password. After putting in the PW the screen comes back again.

Deep sleep works not! Error message "...not enough space..."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, super new to all of this. I've managed to 10.6 installed using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. Following that up w/ the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method to get the 10.6.7 installed didn't end well. Subsequent boots gave me an issue w/ the hibernation image so that I couldn't progress further.

I've now restarted the process and have 10.6 working fine again off of an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disc. My question is this: what now? I've got the 6400 w/ X1400 and CoreDuo cpu so I need to know which items I need to add to get the resolution accurate, and to fix the hibernation problem, and ultimately to boot from the hard drive instead of the cd. Like I said, I'm a rookie to this, and even Macs, so detail is appreciated.

Awesome forum.

Bryan

• 2 years later...