Snow Leopard on P5Q-E

3mp3ror

19 posts in this topic

I have been trying to get a full copy of OS X 10.6 since the past couple of days. Here is how I tried to get it working.

1. Use a boot cd from here http://uppit.com/v/P1PS0CLV whitch is from the generic install guide topic

2. Retail copy of SL

-BUG/ISSUE-

2.1 after the install I rebooted and loaded up the system with the bootcd it showed after that me the welcome screen and then registration. You have at one point the personal details window for you to enter your details. After that you are asked to put a password for your user. The problem is that by hitting next it says "Creating User Account" but after that nothing. If I go BACK and then NEXT it will skip the set up your user and password and go to the timezone.

2.2 If you DO NOT complete the required fields in the registration and set up your account with your password and THEN click next it will do the same EXCEPT that now you do not have neither the back or next buttons. You have to reset the box.

3. After install, the desktop is showing everything is fine. 

Except

- Video is seen as HD4890 but otherwise works fine

- Sound 

- CPU is seen as 3,8 Ghz

- Network(found here)

- Sleep

- NumLock led is off

4. Ok, now after I know what is missing, I used a PKG file to install chameleon from here

4.1 Issues

Chameleon installs fine if you select customize before installing and selecting Chameleon HFS BUT when I did this the extra directory in the / of the system was absent and so was the boot file so where do all the extensions go ?

and why did it fail to install a standard version ?

By the way do not mix installations (choosing to install standard and then the HFS or vice versa)

4.2 After the HFS instalation of chameleon I tested restart, shutdown, and sleep. Sleep didn't work.

5. Installing Kexts through kext helper:

first networking > install > after kext helper finished > restart > pc froze > hard reset > I get this 

post-82867-1253650788_thumb.jpg

5.1 it shows improper shutdown but a doing both verify disk or repair disk permissions is useless.

and I get this

post-82867-1253650794_thumb.jpg

It has been suggested to me to repair disk permissions through the terminal or to make a custom DSDT.aml patch ( I already had the bios patched) I did it anyway and found it was not necessary since there was NOTHING to change.

To recap:

1.Snow Leopard Installs fine, except when installing kexts. It does not matter if it's the netowrking kext, or vodoohda.

2. Where are the kexts loaded from if the installer is set to go with Chameleon HFS option ? Likewise the boot file.

3. Why the errors and how can I fix them without needing a bloody reinstall of the os.

post-82867-1253650406_thumb.jpg

I ask for anyone that had similar experiences or has this board to post their comments here on how can some of these nuisances be fixed. My specs are on the signature.

Thanks

Mate I have the same board as you and having the same issues been reading forums till late into the evening to try and find how to get this going.

Haven't even got as far as you cannot seem to get the dam thing to boot also have iatkos V7 and it has worked flawlessly.

However in relation to your post here is a link for a guy who is posting heaps of different kexts for Snow leopard you might find some that work for you?

Links are:

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live..../Snow%20Leopard

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....zip?sa=10937996

Would love to hear how you get on as my specs are quite similar.

Asus P5Q-E

4GB DDR2 800 Ram

Total of 8TB Sata Storage

Trying to install on to a Western Digital 1.5TB 7200rpm Sata Drive

Sata Burner

2x Nvidia 9500GT Graphics Cards

Intel Extreme Edition QuadCore 3.2GHZ

:thumbsup_anim:

Mate I have the same board as you and having the same issues been reading forums till late into the evening to try and find how to get this going.

Haven't even got as far as you cannot seem to get the dam thing to boot also have iatkos V7 and it has worked flawlessly.

However in relation to your post here is a link for a guy who is posting heaps of different kexts for Snow leopard you might find some that work for you?

Links are:

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live..../Snow%20Leopard

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....zip?sa=10937996

Would love to hear how you get on as my specs are quite similar.

Asus P5Q-E

4GB DDR2 800 Ram

Total of 8TB Sata Storage

Trying to install on to a Western Digital 1.5TB 7200rpm Sata Drive

Sata Burner

2x Nvidia 9500GT Graphics Cards

Intel Extreme Edition QuadCore 3.2GHZ

;)

Hi, thanks for the links. Most of the utilities there are for different scenarios and chances are that you might not need most of them.

If you have the nvidia cards you might check or try to remember what drivers you installed with iaktos and try to find equivalent for SL. I have zero experience with nvidia cards.

If the options in the bios are set regarding ahci, acpi and s3 resume, the bios is patched and you are using the bootable cd which has chameleon 2 rc3 on it you might be succseful. The bootloader is said to have large disk support. So don't use the older ones. ;)

Try to get the bootable cd and see if it installs.

Also our specs differ in video card and hd capacity which by itself is another set of variables.

To others who also have this board or higher IQ then mine  ;) please post your ideas also regarding these issues.

I have same board, I failed to get 10.5.6 retail anywhere near working but happily got it to work on my little Shuttle box with very little effort - Boot123, few kexts, Chameleon 2.0RC1 and I was up and Macing.

I really want to get SL on this rig but just dont have time right now. Would very much appreciate any progress reports or findings as you go to ease the pain when I get round to it ;) .

No More Nightmares! P5Q JUST USE this files after install SL ( for boot without Inspiron6400.iso )

1- install Bootloader RC2

2- Replace the boot file with Bootloader RC3

3. Replace the extra file.

That is it!

for P5Q-E just install for Kext's Network & Sound.

Well Done....

Hi Watcher_sk

I have a P5Q-E mobo as posted above if you have the time would it be possible for you to give a detailed description of how you installed it?

I have flashed my bios with one that has been described as the correct bios for snow. As well as using correct kexts ect ect but on every install i have found that after the install being described as successful i try to boot see al of the kexts loading in verbose mode and then the black of death that takes will not leave unless you manually restart?? The kexts load so fast i haven't been able to get a screen shot of the last message but it is rather frustrating when reading various articles trying lots of different things and still not a lot of success.

Anyone reading this who has any ideas or can illustrate there process would be greatly appreciated. It is probably not the correct place to ask these types of questions? So I apologize in advance if this gets under anyones skin i am simply trying to tinker =)

Have had working retail 10.5.8 on the board as well as tested various distros from ideneb,iatkos,ipc,and kalyway all very smooth.

Thanks again to all.

Hi TeachMeMore & Everyone at there!

at first sorry for my bad English i will try to do my best....

This is my solution,

* modified bios by JUZZI

* your HD is AHACI / ACPI 2.0 Enabled

1- you need to have a worked leopard

2- the second HD need to be formatted and partitioned with GUID.

- 1 - SNOW HD

- 2 - SL SETUP

3- Restore you SL.DMG file into your SL SETUP HD.

4- Restart and boot with the boot cd Inspiron6400.iso you can find it here http://uppit.com/v/P1PS0CLV

5- Select your SL SETUP HD ...... installation will start up , select your SNOW HD to install

6- after all, installation will said that has been failed ( hint installation was just fine only couldn't find the boot )

7- restart , BOOT From inspiron CD very important, then select your SNOW HD

- right now set up your Name, language, country........

8- Change the permissions for the SNOW HD ( allow to everyone ).

A- install Bootloader RC2 P5Q_Final.zip to your SNOW HD

( installation failed No Problems! )

B- Replace the boot file with Bootloader RC3 ( use muCommander ) - (Because it is invisible) -

http://www.mucommander.com/index.php#download

C- Replace the extra fileP5Q_EXTRA.zip & Restart.

That is it!

for P5Q-E just install Kext's Network & Sound P5Q_E_Kext.zip.

& the graphics card is yours

Thank you & Good luck

Hi "watcher_sk"

Thank you for the quick reply i have tried your method but when get to step 5 after following all instructions i still get the black screen it doesnt install??? The boot-loader sees the partitions but i just get a black screen then when i restart my bios has reset itself???

And i have to change everything back e.g my Harddrives have changed to IDE rather than AHCI things like that????

Do you have any idea why this would be???

The bios i am using is the 2001 modded bios for my mobo you said to use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you so much for helping all of us who are trying to get it working on this hardware =)

Big Respect

Hi!

am so sorry i already got another problems with my 4870 ATI and My 9500GT so i need first to figer it out how can i make it work then i will post my final solution.

all i can say is check your bios!

SATA = AHACI

ACPI 2.0 enabled

APCI enabled

& you will hear from me.....

Good Luck

Thanx

Retail Snow Leopard on ASUS P5Q-E

Using SATA drives and USB keyboard/mouse.

I'm using vanilla 2101 BIOS (issues are fixed in DSDT.aml)

Mandatory BIOS changes:

SATA - AHCI mode

All CPU settings enabled - except CPUID limit - attention: The C-state setting is off screen, you have to scroll to see it.

ACPI 2.0 support enabled

Kexts:

AppleVIAATA.kext - Marvell 88SE6121 PATA controller

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext - Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit Ethernet

AD2000B.kext - Analog Devices ADI AD2000B HD Audio

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - external HD icons fix (TODO: fix via DSDT)

AHCIPortInjector.kext - injects device IDs for ICH10-R (TODO: fix via DSDT)

OpenHaltRestart.kext - Shutdown/Restart fix

fakesmc.kext - SMC emulation and AES binary decryption (not included in the attachment - visit Netkas' blog and download the latest version)

DSDT.aml - extracted from 2101 vanilla BIOS using Everest Corporate Edition under Windows:

-Standard ASUS issues (CPU aliases, mute, local0) and all compiling errors fixed

-IRQs fixed in HPET, TIMR, IPIC and RTC

-88E8056 LAN set as internal (fixes UUID error 35 and Time Machine)

-LPC Device ID patched to allow loading of AppleLPC.kext

-A bunch of devices renamed to better match Apple hardware

-HDEF device inserted, eliminates the need for HDAEnabler.kext

-Removed OS version checks

-Removed some devices not used by OSX (FDC, PCIE, RMEM - kept PS2 devices for those of you who need them)

-Removed ASUS AI Gear & ASUS Probe code - OS X doesn't know what to do with any of that.

Thanks to Pere, the DSDT fairy, Krazubu, 18Seven, THe KiNG, FormerlyKnownAs and Master Chief.

Chameleon 2.0 RC3 installed to EFI partition

arch=i386 kernel flag

smbios.plist spoofing an iMac9,1:

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM91.88Z.008D.B08.0904271717</string>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>04/27/09</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac9,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>xxxxxxxxxxx</string> (find/make your own!)
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F2218FC8</string>

I don't use the secondary LAN (Marvell 88E8001) in OSX, because the driver (skge.kext) sets off "family specific matching fails" errors for every single device on the motherboard during bootup. It's possible that it's not the drivers fault and that it can be fixed in the DSDT.

Marvell/SiL SATA Ports are untested.

I have made other changes (kexts, DSDT) that are specific to my CPU and video card but I will not be discussing those in this thread.

The kexts and DSDT posted here are not tied to any specific hardware except the P5Q-E and the devices that are built into it. If you have a quad core CPU you'll have to change the CPU definitions in my DSDT to match the ones in yours.

If you have more than 2GB RAM you might want to dump your DSDT and compare with mine to see if that changes anything. I will receive another 2GB (for a total of 4GB RAM) in December and will add information here if a change to the DSDT is required.

/EDIT Dec. 22

Yes, the address range at the very first instance of 'operationregion' in the DSDT changed when I popped in the extra 2GB. So compare mine to yours and change it to match if you're going to use my DSDT. I'm not sure if it matters at all but better safe than sorry right.

You can use Lavalys Everest Corporate Edition under Windows or Linux Live CD (google for instructions) to dump your DSDT.

For more information, see this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

You can use VoodooPowerMini.kext for speedstepping if you don't want to fix it in the DSDT.

(last update 19/10 2009)

P5Q_E_Snow_32_bit_kexts_DSDT.zip

Why did you use a smbios.plist to spoof an iMac9,1?

Because the early 2009 model iMac9,1 that I'm spoofing uses the mobile version of the same series Core 2 Duo CPU that I have.

If i'd put MacPro4,1, the only thing in common with my hardware would be the ICH10.

So it was a toss, CPU or Southbridge...not sure how much it matters in the end though.

There is no 64-bit version of NVEnabler.kext and I like having working analog TV-Out.

Otherwise I can not think of any reason to go 64-bit, I can run all the 64-bit apps I want just fine in 32-bit mode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

After reading a lot of posts/threads/tutorials I finally manage to install Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail in the HDD, but after that I can't boot into the system at all and here I am, stuck, and needing your help, Oh wise ones!

My System is:

Asus P5Q-E/Core 2 Quad Q6600/8GB RAM/Radeon HD4850 Video Card/DVD Drive/HDD1 - NTFS with Vista 64/HDD2 - Guid MACOS Journaled SNOW LEOPARD/HDD 3 - NTFS Data storage Drive

BIOS Settings:

Sata as AHCI / TWEAKER: All in Auto / POWER: Suspend Mode (Auto), Respost Video S3 resume (No), ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC (Enabled)

Installation History:

I started following  a lifehacker guide and had access to a real Mac to partition and format a flash drive in Guid MacOS Journaled and copy the Retail DVD install into the Flash drive. It also had a bootloader installer too that I installed in the same flash drive.

Tried to install but the bootloader always failed to start.

Then I found Ian T's guide here at insanely, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189414

I burned the image boot file of that guide to CD an used it to boot the installer but I couldn't use the retail DVD as the guide pointed, it didn't work at all. Instead i used the flash drive and Bingo! it worked. 

Used disk utility to partition and format the HDD and installation went ok till the end. Got the installation complete screen and rebooted. (Important note: My BIOS at that time was 1406 official from Asus.)

After that nothing happened anymore. Tried to follow Ian's guide and boot again from CD, then selected HDD as boot device and the had kernel panic, grey screen with black dashes. Tried with -v command and had the same problem, this time with black and white corrupted screen, same as reported here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;mode=linear

Since then I updated my BIOS to Juzzi's 2001 and then to the newest ASUS official 2101, my BIOS revision at this moment and had no luck too.

I've been playing around with a lot of kexts, tried all that Watcher_sk posted in this topic loading then in the flash drive Extension folder using Transmac in Windows. I also replaced the "boot" file with Chameleon RC3 and removed DSDT.aml because it always caused kernel panic asking to shut power down and restart.

By the way I can see all the file structure of Snow Leopard installed in the HDD in Transmac but can't change anything (Read only). I don't have access to a MAc anymore so I'll have to solve it in Windows.

I uploaded a screenshot from the boot sequence just before panic. It's a little hard to read but if you need some clarification I can "translate" what the pictures are showing.

Please Help, I want to join the club too! Thanks

post-381760-1256505916_thumb.jpg

post-381760-1256505966_thumb.jpg