[SOLVED] Problem on boot with fsck and 8GB ram

virtudude

13 posts in this topic

I'm having a problem that seems to be related to the amount of RAM I have. If I boot with 8GB installed and no boot options, I get this:

/dev/diskXsY: Can't initialize disk cache

This is followed by a failed attempt to fun fsck. It goes downhill from there.

If I boot with maxmem=4096, everything works fine.

Has anyone seen this before? The motherboard is a ga-ep45-ud3l.

Oh, I'm also using the 32-bit kernel and extensions, if it matters. (VMware Fusion is making me)

I'm having a problem that seems to be related to the amount of RAM I have. If I boot with 8GB installed and no boot options, I get this:

/dev/diskXsY: Can't initialize disk cache

This is followed by a failed attempt to fun fsck. It goes downhill from there.

If I boot with maxmem=4096, everything works fine.

Has anyone seen this before? The motherboard is a ga-ep45-ud3l.

Oh, I'm also using the 32-bit kernel and extensions, if it matters. (VMware Fusion is making me)

Is that the vanilla 10.0.0 kernel or a binary patched kernel for non-supported CPUs? I have the same issue with my Pentium D system running a binary hacked kernel.

Is that the vanilla 10.0.0 kernel or a binary patched kernel for non-supported CPUs? I have the same issue with my Pentium D system running a binary hacked kernel.

It's vanilla 10.0.0. I did some more research and it sounds like it might be related to the JMicron IDE controller on my board. I'm going to try disabling it when I get home, if possible.

It's vanilla 10.0.0. I did some more research and it sounds like it might be related to the JMicron IDE controller on my board. I'm going to try disabling it when I get home, if possible.

It was the JMicron controller. I disabled it in my BIOS and now everything works perfectly with the full 8GB.

• 4 weeks later...

Hrmmm... Having the exact same problem, but no JMicron controller to disable. My board (Intel SE7520BB2) has both a ICH5-RR and a SiL 3124 SATA interface. I get to the exact same "can't initialize disk cache" with both unless I boot to single user mode and manually mount the drive or boot with "maxmem=4096".

Anyone have any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Apparently I have a great habit of commenting on my own posts :/. Anyhoo, ran across the same problem on my Tyan S5397 recently after I accidentally added the -legacy kernel option to my com.apple.Boot.plist file... It gives me hope that there is something more going on here. I'll report back when I get back to the other MB.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem, but i have everything sata...in my bios there isn't jmicron option...My mobo is an asrocka770de+...With 4 gb of ram all is perfect, but when add 2 gb, snow leopard doesn't run...

How i can resolve? Is possible bypass fsck control on startup?

• 3 months later...
I have the same problem, but i have everything sata...in my bios there isn't jmicron option...My mobo is an asrocka770de+...With 4 gb of ram all is perfect, but when add 2 gb, snow leopard doesn't run...

Same issue here when adding more than 4GB (Things are fine in Linux and ick Windows 7). I just installed an extra 4GB (total 8GB) and an extra PATA IDE drive (unfortunately both at the same time). I get the "manual fsck required" message on boot now.

I can boot again with the "maxmem=4096" fix but now my Apple Ext Keyboard and Mighty Mouse are not recognized until I unplug and replug at the login screen.

I'll try disabling my PATA drive next to see what happens since it's JMICRON I believe.

This is Chameleon to vanilla 10.6.3 (well, with the Marvell driver added).

• 1 year later...

I had this issue too, except that I'm using the legacy_kernel iAtkos s3v2 uses for AMD Processors.

I want to know if there is a permanent line that I can add somewhere so that the bootloader doesn't say

'fsck failed' and 'couldn't load disk cache'. I bott using the ModCD from nawcom (there fsck runs)

Specs are: AMD Phenom X4 810 processor

Mac OS X 10.6.3 iAtkos s3v2

• 5 years later...

I have the same problem here... Using maxmem=4096 works fine. I have 6gb ddr3 Phenom II x4 Black Edition, use any distro off snow leopard i have this problem.. :/

Some HELP PLEASE ? ??