10.6 ethernet says cable disconnected

basshead

5 posts in this topic

I have a fully working 10.6 install on my P35-DS3R motherboard/Q6600 quad core. Installed from a fully working 10.5.8 by running OSInstall.mpkg from an install disk image, cmos bug and sound patched in dsdt with 899a.kext, 9800GT GFX and ethernet in com.apple.Boot.plist. Extra folder with necessary kexts in the first hidden EFI partition. Everything working great, then I use the migration assistant to copy the user account and apps from the 10.5.8 disk. After a reboot ethernet stops working, the System Preferences network pane says the cable is not connected. Everything still fine when booting into 10.5.8.

If I wipe just the 10.6 partition (leave the boot loader and kexts untouched) and install again ethernet comes back. What really puzzles me is the first time I installed and copied the user account across ethernet worked properly. All that has changed is uninstalling iStat Menus 1.3 and Xmarks for Safari from the 10.5.8 disk as they are known to not work. Looks like there's something coming across with the user account/apps that conflicts with 10.6 but I'm stumped. I've tried reinstalling 10.6 once the user account/apps are copied across, makes no difference.

Any suggestions or fixes for this would be much appreciated.

... I use the migration assistant to copy the user account and apps from the 10.5.8 disk. After a reboot ethernet stops working, the System Preferences network pane says the cable is not connected. Everything still fine when booting into 10.5.8.

...Looks like there's something coming across with the user account/apps that conflicts with 10.6 but I'm stumped. I've tried reinstalling 10.6 once the user account/apps are copied across, makes no difference.

Any suggestions or fixes for this would be much appreciated.

I used a similar approach to install 10.6 and have the same problem. I also can't see my IDE drive, although it works perfectly under 10.5.8.

Haven't found a cure for the problem, but I have narrowed it down to importing the applications from the Leopard drive. I can import the user account with no issues, so I'm now installing the apps I want under Snow Leopard. Probably not a bad idea to clear out accumulated junk with a fresh install.

I had the same problem. Turns out when you use migration assistant it also brings over all your old kext files from /System/Library/Extensions. Just go through it and delete out any kexts that came over from the old machine then rebuild with Kext Utility or manually.

Edit: I should say, delete any kexts that were used in 10.5.x to boot the system. Some of the kexts will be required for you programs to run. It should be obvious which are which, or you could look at your 10.5.x install package and see which kexts it added to /Extensions and then just delete those.