Tolida

Tolida

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Local Network
Don't hesitate if you have questions

Yes that's what I already thought, my problem is that it don't work on a different network....

Hannes72

Hannes72

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Is this remote or the same network????

Local WLAN

Tolida

Tolida

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Local WLAN

No one has it working to a remote network until now???

allan916

allan916

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Can anyone help? I have followed the steps that have been outlined, but can't get this to work.

I am running a MBP from mid 2009, running 10.6.4. attached through a local LAN to a GigabitNAS box. I have created the files are root.

In the log files I see (first time run):

Sep 30 22:05:02 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Running backup verification
Sep 30 22:05:04 com.apple.backupd[4023]: QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
Sep 30 22:09:19 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Backup verification passed!
Sep 30 22:09:19 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Resizing backup disk image from 500.0 GB to 2750.1 GB
Sep 30 22:12:16 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Mount failed... waiting 60 seconds and trying again.
Sep 30 22:12:39 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Failed to eject volume /Volumes/backup-1 (FSVolumeRefNum: -150; status: -47; dissenting pid: 0)
Sep 30 22:13:39 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Attempting to mount network destination using URL: smb://admin@192.168.0.7/backup
Sep 30 22:13:42 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Mounted network destination using URL: smb://admin@192.168.0.7/backup
Sep 30 22:13:46 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Mount failed... waiting 60 seconds and trying again.
Sep 30 22:14:09 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Failed to eject volume /Volumes/backup-2 (FSVolumeRefNum: -151; status: -47; dissenting pid: 0)
Sep 30 22:15:09 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Attempting to mount network destination using URL: smb://admin@192.168.0.7/backup
Sep 30 22:15:12 allan-lindsays-macbook-pro com.apple.backupd[4023]: Mounted network destination using URL: smb://admin@192.168.0.7/backup
Sep 30 22:15:16 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Giving up after 3 retries.
Sep 30 22:15:21 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Backup failed with error: 21
Sep 30 22:15:45 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Failed to eject volume /Volumes/backup-3 (FSVolumeRefNum: -152; status: -47; dissenting pid: 0)

A popup comes with:
The backup disk image “/Volumes/backup-3/macbook-pro.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Allan.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted Image
wow thanks.

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Thank you! Finally after hours of messing around I got this working by following the manual guide. One thing I would add is that I had to make sure I was in the desktop folder when doing all the commands, apart from that, perfect!

Thanks!

allan916

allan916

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

Can anyone help? I have followed the steps that have been outlined, but can't get this to work.

I am running a MBP from mid 2009, running 10.6.4. attached through a local LAN to a GigabitNAS box. I have created the files are root.

Sep 30 22:15:45 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Failed to eject volume /Volumes/backup-3 (FSVolumeRefNum: -152; status: -47; dissenting pid: 0)

A popup comes with:
The backup disk image “/Volumes/backup-3/macbook-pro.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Allan.

Finally managed to get it to work. My additional bits (apologies if they are included already elsewhere) were to create a separate share with a backup user having a quota attached to it. This seems to stop TM trying to resize the image to the size of the whole NAS box. It works, but I find the sparsebundle a little fragile - at the merest hint of something not right, it corrupts the whole thing and I need to start from scratch again.

It works - I just need to take care when the backups are taken. Many thanks to the OP. I feel a bit better that I now have an image of my MBP.

Thanks again.

Allan.

fallout123

fallout123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Finally managed to get it to work. My additional bits (apologies if they are included already elsewhere) were to create a separate share with a backup user having a quota attached to it. This seems to stop TM trying to resize the image to the size of the whole NAS box. It works, but I find the sparsebundle a little fragile - at the merest hint of something not right, it corrupts the whole thing and I need to start from scratch again.

It works - I just need to take care when the backups are taken. Many thanks to the OP. I feel a bit better that I now have an image of my MBP.

Thanks again.

Allan.

Hey allan916,

Can you provide a list of the steps you did to get it working? I'm trying to fix this for days and I have the problem you had...

Thanks a lot.

bubbarob

bubbarob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks a million for this help. My external usb drive died but it was never my intention to use that as my regular backup. I purchased a raid for my back ups and could never get it to work until now.

osxuser1985

osxuser1985

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

ep 30 22:05:02 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Running backup verification
Sep 30 22:05:04 com.apple.backupd[4023]: QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
Sep 30 22:09:19 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Backup verification passed!
Sep 30 22:09:19 com.apple.backupd[4023]: Resizing backup disk image from 500.0 GB to 2750.1 GB

The point of custom making the sparseimage for me is to limit the use of space on the NAS disk. But TM changes the image at first use. How can I prevent this??

armyaircorp

armyaircorp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 76 posts
Great Job Mate!!! i needed this 2 days ago, Hade SL OS running perfect added something that screwed it up. Started all over again to install and still can't get it right as of 2 days. If only the TM worked then (or if I wrote my settings down)
But thanks mate
AAC

Jerrek71

Jerrek71

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,
I tried all the above and had a partial success initially, but then when Time Machine tried to do the backup it complained about a verification failure and tried to rewrite the whole sparse image. Which of course failed.

I then recopied the sparse image I'd made and tried a manual backup, but when it was verifying the backup, I clicked the icon in the menu bar and told it to skip verification. It's now backing up quite happily.

I'm not sure how a backup with zero in it can fail verification but I guess there's some extra data that's normally in the sparseimage to tell TM which files have changed and so on, and without that (under 10.6.4 at least) it fails.

Hope that helps someone.

lusher00

lusher00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My understanding is that TM will allow me to restore my computer back to its previous state after I do a clean install of SL. Will I be able to do that under this setup or is that limited to USB drives and Time Capsule? And if so what all does it backup/restore. My machine is running really slow right now and it might be the drive. I want to throw another one in there and see if it improves things at all. If it is not the drive but rather a software issue, well I am curious if TM will be doing such a thorough backup that it will also back up whatever issues it is that I am seeing now.

McJazzy

McJazzy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Finally, this is the only source I could find on the web that was complete. Most others omit the step of adding the .plist information. This is why you get the -45 error if you follow the rest on the web!

Thanks so much!

blacksmith_tb

blacksmith_tb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This looks very promising, but I've got a little hurdle to work around. I've got the sparsebundle in a directory I have write access to on our Win2003 NAS at work, but I don't have write access to the root of the NAS. I thought I might be able to trick Time Machine into thinking it was a different drive by symlinking to it in /Volumes, but no such luck. Can anyone suggest a way I can point TM at the specific dir on the mounted NAS? Thanks.

sunkid

sunkid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

This looks very promising, but I've got a little hurdle to work around. I've got the sparsebundle in a directory I have write access to on our Win2003 NAS at work, but I don't have write access to the root of the NAS. I thought I might be able to trick Time Machine into thinking it was a different drive by symlinking to it in /Volumes, but no such luck. Can anyone suggest a way I can point TM at the specific dir on the mounted NAS? Thanks.

You could try to mount the specific directory on your client instead of mounting the root directory of the NAS. If you need both, you may have to work with your IT department to enable this on their end.

My own setup is much like this and supports several users. The storage space is a large RAID array on a server. I export individual directories from it via the Linux version of Apple Talk (atalk). This way, individual users see different shares when they connect to the server.

Here is a generic view of my AppleVolumes.default configuration file:
/mnt/raid/sunkid backups allow:sunkid cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots,upriv/mnt/raid/shewhomustbeobeyed backups allow:lovey cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots,upriv/mnt/raid/minime backups allow:minime cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots,upriv

When any of these three users connect, they see one volume named 'backups' that their machines are using for backups.

Similar configurations can be done in SAMBA but it will be slightly different in NFS, I believe.

blacksmith_tb

blacksmith_tb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You could try to mount the specific directory on your client instead of mounting the root directory of the NAS. If you need both, you may have to work with your IT department to enable this on their end.

Thanks - yes, I do need to mount the whole NAS, while only letting TM see the dir where the sparsebundle is. I was hoping I wouldn't need to ask our IT dept. to create a new user strictly for this little experiment, but I suppose at least that will also allow us to impose a hard quota, to keep TM from trying to gobble up the entire NAS...

Thanks again,
-T.

bartoszx

bartoszx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I tired all hints mentioned in this thread.
Still got following errors

Nov 22 19:36:14 macbook-pro-magnus-2 com.apple.backupd[1129]: Attempting to mount network destination using URL: smb://DOMAIN;nmt@192.168.0.102/share
 Nov 22 19:36:19 macbook-pro-magnus-2 com.apple.backupd[1129]: NetAuthConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 for url: smb://DOMAIN;nmt@192.168.0.102/share
 Nov 22 19:36:24 macbook-pro-magnus-2 com.apple.backupd[1129]: Backup failed with error: 19

I can get rid of this

smb://DOMAIN;

My another macos has no problem with this. Is this have something common with DOMAIN logon?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle Maguire

Kyle Maguire

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes THANK YOU!!!! THIS HELPED ME! I just bought a new router with a usb port and spent an hour waiting for my mac to "Make backup disk available"

TBGRocks

TBGRocks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Brand new here but just wanted to share my experiences. I tried the manual version and was getting the issue where time machine was trying to create a new version of my sparsebundle file with the 1.tmp piece added.

I changed the name of my machine as I had it set to John-Neills-Macbook-Pro and was worried that the name might have been too long or the '-' characters might have been causing an issue. The new name was JohnsMBP. I also used the script this time instead of the manual version.

I'm not sure which of these changes made the difference but the backup is currently running. I'm thinking the length of my computer name or the fact that I had the '-' characters in the name might have been an issue. Would be worth a try anyway if you're having the problems of TM creating a new version of the sparsebundle.

Thanks for making this available. Very happy that this is working now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy