User folders on another drive

skierguy

3 posts in this topic

I just installed a new 1.5tb drive in my computer and now I would like to move my user data over to this drive as my 500gb drive with leopard 10.5.8 is running out of space. I found that to do this one needs to right click on the user and then change the location in System Prefs->Accounts. I pointed to the new user folder with the cloned data on the new drive. Then I restarted. When I booted up again, leopard had created a folder in Volumes with the name of the Data volume that I had moved my user data to so now there was a new user folder in the Volumes folder so that when I go into my User folder in leopard I am pointed to the folder in Volumes, not the folder on the Data volume. Now the Data volume was mounted as "Data 1". Now I tried changing it to point to Data 1 but now I can't log in "Logging into the account failed because an error occurred"... Any ideas how I get this working like I intend?

I just installed a new 1.5tb drive in my computer and now I would like to move my user data over to this drive as my 500gb drive with leopard 10.5.8 is running out of space. I found that to do this one needs to right click on the user and then change the location in System Prefs->Accounts. I pointed to the new user folder with the cloned data on the new drive. Then I restarted. When I booted up again, leopard had created a folder in Volumes with the name of the Data volume that I had moved my user data to so now there was a new user folder in the Volumes folder so that when I go into my User folder in leopard I am pointed to the folder in Volumes, not the folder on the Data volume. Now the Data volume was mounted as "Data 1". Now I tried changing it to point to Data 1 but now I can't log in "Logging into the account failed because an error occurred"... Any ideas how I get this working like I intend?

Well when I did it I had to make sure that I deleted the old folder for my account in the Users directory or it would not work properly, I also created a new partition for my moved account so it was the only directory except for the Shared one on/in it.

Hmm, that didn't work for me in the end what I did was go rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone in single user mode and then leopard allowed me to create a new admin account and then I could fix everything up again from that account.