azureus x86 ? anyone got java working ?

opiniatre

9 posts in this topic

Azureus and other p2p soft depend on java but the x86 implementation seems to just not work ...

Has anyone figure out a way to make java app work in mac x86 ?

Thanks !

-----

d915 gmh 1.5 gig ram 3ghz p4 native install

Use the normal client on bittorrent.com. It works fine.

Java is still for powerpc which is why any web browser that're in "intel-mode" will reject javascript plugins. It stinks, but we just need to wait it out until java releases official stuff for x86 macs. It should be fairly soon, since a lot of devs need java in order to work on their applications.

Dont get ur hopes up too much

Apple handles their own java stuff, as such, any x86 java releases will come from them and only go out to their to their "special" people, Im sure it will get leaked from them in time, but apple always lags behind suns java releases. PPC tiger doesnt even come with java 1.5 and its been out for some time- I can install 1.5 on x86 but cant set it as default.

Can you post a downloaad link to what you installed?  Or are you saying that you didn't do anything with your install and that it just works?

I installed Java 5 on Tigerx86 and it seems theeres about a 20% chance I can get something to compile. I didn't try using netbeans because I'd much rather use XCode, and if I'm going to use Netbeans I might as well get the speed boost of booting into Linux. What exactly did you do to get it working? And where did you even find Netbeans for OSX?

• 2 weeks later...

Please see my post "Azureus 2.3.0.4 working" for instructions on how to get Azureus 2.3.0.4 working with the included JVM.

I had to recompile the native libraries of SWT from PPC to x86.

It's generally not a good idea to install a PPC JVM, as both performance and stability will suffer by magnitudes.

To further clarify, the JVM (1.4.2_07) that comes with MacOSX x86 is pretty stable and performs quite well.

It is a native x86 application, not PPC. It also dyna-rec's to x86 code, much like a Sun's Windows x86 JVM or Linux x86 JVM.

If you install a JVM by downloading from Apple's website, you will most likely get a PPC compiled JVM, which

will not be stable and will run relatively much slower, if at all. If it runs, it will probably dyna-rec to PPC code, which is

ridiculous on a x86 OS, since it will probably slow things down rather than speed it up.