Leopard 10.5.7 Vanilla Installation on EVGA X58 SLI [GUIDE/TUTORIAL]

96 posts in this topic

Hello All, this is my first time posting. I followed this guide exactly up until step 3g. Everything had worked and I got my retail installation installed on a separate hard drive. I followed your guides for com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist. My i7 is running at all stock speeds and the ram is at 1067 mhz. I have tried to boot up many times with no success. I am using an Nvidia 8600gt and tried ATY_Int.kext to get the graphics to work at 1920x1200. I tried to use the other to NV kexts but neither of them worked. I also tried with an Nvidia gtx 285, but to no avail. I am not sure what information you need to correctly guage the problem, or if you can even solve it, but any help would be appreciated! Let me know if you need any other information.

CPU: Core i7 920 2.66 Ghz

RAM: OCZ 6gb @ 1067 mhz

Mobo: EVGA x58 SLI 3x

GPU: Nvidia 8600gt 256mb/gtx 285

PSU: Corsair 850tx

Did you use a distro or another retail mac to install the retail 10.5.6?

when you say everything had worked, what do you mean exactly? that it originally did boot?

When booting up, at what point does it fail? Do you have -v as a boot flag in your com.apple.boot.plist? Do you have the busratio of 20 in there as well? put it in there and see where it stops.

Lastly did you try booting up with the boot-123 cd? its as easy as starting up from the cd and picking the harddrive with darwin on it.

let me know,

alan

Hi...

I just did. It's OK to do it except the sound.

I did it from the previous 10.5.6 (installed by DD's guide).

I booted up with my old HDD and installed 10.5.8 update toward the new HDD.

I didn't do anything. Just update.

And changed the cables, reboot with the new HDD.

Initially, the booting time was a bit long, but it appears safe.

But the sound is not working.

I went back to my USB sound again. I think probably if we reinstall chameleon, this problem will go away.

I will be looking up the sound references a little more and try later.

Thanks and good luck!

JP

thats super weird, because that means all the other kexts are working except the ones dealing with the audio right? Reinstalling chameleon? that means the system update broke it? now I'm thinking the efi method would've been better. I hope you understand why i think its so weird. I mean if you pull out the disabler and the openhaltrestart its not gonna boot either right? So its just the system itself which is disabling the audio in another way?

I might be completely wrong, feel free to correct me

did you try reinstalling the LegacyHDAController.kext and LegacyHDAControllerDriver.kext?

cheers,

alan

Did you use a distro or another retail mac to install the retail 10.5.6? I used a distro

when you say everything had worked, what do you mean exactly? that it originally did boot? It never booted, but everything seemed to install properly.

When booting up, at what point does it fail? Do you have -v as a boot flag in your com.apple.boot.plist? Do you have the busratio of 20 in there as well? put it in there and see where it stops. I do have -v and busratio=20 in the .plist. I copied your exactly, but I changed the resolution to 1024x768x32@60. After I select the hard drive to boot from, I see the little spinning character that looks like a slash that is spinning (/) and then the computer shuts down.

Lastly did you try booting up with the boot-123 cd? its as easy as starting up from the cd and picking the harddrive with darwin on it. After I booted using the boot-123 cd and selected the proper hard drive, it said "starting Darwin osx86" and showed the gray apple boot screen briefly before shutting down.

thats super weird, because that means all the other kexts are working except the ones dealing with the audio right? Reinstalling chameleon? that means the system update broke it? now I'm thinking the efi method would've been better. I hope you understand why i think its so weird. I mean if you pull out the disabler and the openhaltrestart its not gonna boot either right? So its just the system itself which is disabling the audio in another way?

I might be completely wrong, feel free to correct me

did you try reinstalling the LegacyHDAController.kext and LegacyHDAControllerDriver.kext?

cheers,

alan

Hi...

Ok, let me correct what I intend to do.

My Extra folder is still working great.

But since the sound is not working, I believe those LegacyHDAcontroller.kext & LegacyHDAplatformDriver.kext are not working. Maybe these two kexts are conflicted with some of kext in s/l/e, I guess and that's what I'm looking for.

A lots of cases other than EVGA X58 still shows the same problem with the sound.

So, I think I will wait and see what goes around.

Maybe DD can give some answer to it, I hope.

But other than than, I can just update with 10.5.8.

I do have USB sound card, so I'm OK for now, too.

I hoe we can find the way to fix this problem soon.

I'm so excited with Snow Leopard.

The trouble now will help with Snow setup too.

Thanks

JP

ok i finally got to buy the retail disk for 20 dollars in craigslist. i have 10.5 installed in my computer but its not vanilla, so im gonna do this again following exactly what it says here. Now, i have a problem, i installed everything, but it just keeps rebooting. what did i do wrong?

After couple of days working on this i finally got it working. thx so much again ihavearedcouch. all i did was reset my BIOS and installed the new BIOS on the motherboard and after that everything worked flawlessly, but now i have to work on the overclock again to 4.0 ghz, forgot my settings for the voltages

Hi...

Ok, let me correct what I intend to do.

My Extra folder is still working great.

But since the sound is not working, I believe those LegacyHDAcontroller.kext & LegacyHDAplatformDriver.kext are not working. Maybe these two kexts are conflicted with some of kext in s/l/e, I guess and that's what I'm looking for.

A lots of cases other than EVGA X58 still shows the same problem with the sound.

So, I think I will wait and see what goes around.

Maybe DD can give some answer to it, I hope.

But other than than, I can just update with 10.5.8.

I do have USB sound card, so I'm OK for now, too.

I hoe we can find the way to fix this problem soon.

I'm so excited with Snow Leopard.

The trouble now will help with Snow setup too.

Thanks

JP

awesome, can't wait for snow leopard too. i'll update this guide to warn against 10.5.8. cheers,

alan

Thanks for the heads up ihavearedcouch and jplee, i was about to update to 10.5.8

Is it normal to have a blue screen for about 1 -3 seconds after the apple gray logo loads?

is it the video kext loading? i just install NVInstaller v52 from

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...3Graphics_Cards

which is for my XFX 9800 GT. Everything is working fine though, but the blue screen flickers twice and i dont really like it then it loads to the log in screen.

Thanks for the heads up ihavearedcouch and jplee, i was about to update to 10.5.8

Is it normal to have a blue screen for about 1 -3 seconds after the apple gray logo loads?

is it the video kext loading? i just install NVInstaller v52 from

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...3Graphics_Cards

which is for my XFX 9800 GT. Everything is working fine though, but the blue screen flickers twice and i dont really like it then it loads to the log in screen.

yeah that is completely relevant to the system and it is the video driver loading. Before I bought my pc parts I had a macbook air (sold it for the pc parts) and it too did the blue screen flicker before. I also hated it because I went into the configuration to change the background at the log-in screen to red and so it always went from grey to blue to red with no way to change the blue part either. Sorry! But I'm sure apple is aware of this and will make Snow Leopard more smooth with its colors. I'm glad you got everything installed. Cheers,

Alan

yeah that is completely relevant to the system and it is the video driver loading. Before I bought my pc parts I had a macbook air (sold it for the pc parts) and it too did the blue screen flicker before. I also hated it because I went into the configuration to change the background at the log-in screen to red and so it always went from grey to blue to red with no way to change the blue part either. Sorry! But I'm sure apple is aware of this and will make Snow Leopard more smooth with its colors. I'm glad you got everything installed. Cheers,

Alan

oh ok, thanks alot. Canit wait for snow leopard to release.

I cant thank you enough! Followed the guide exactly but I used this nvidia enabler http://rapidshare.de/files/47461448/Enable..._cards.pkg.html

and then installed the hacked nvidia GTX 2xx drivers (I have a GTX 260 216SP)

http://rapidshare.de/files/47522089/NVIDIA...6.mpkg.zip.html

Thanks for those links!! I updated the links in the guide but those seem to be the most recent. I'll change them again.

Hi...

I just did. It's OK to do it except the sound.

I did it from the previous 10.5.6 (installed by DD's guide).

I booted up with my old HDD and installed 10.5.8 update toward the new HDD.

I didn't do anything. Just update.

And changed the cables, reboot with the new HDD.

Initially, the booting time was a bit long, but it appears safe.

But the sound is not working.

I went back to my USB sound again. I think probably if we reinstall chameleon, this problem will go away.

I will be looking up the sound references a little more and try later.

Thanks and good luck!

JP

I have the same problem...updated tp 10.5.8 on EVGA X58 SLI and lost audio. Did several things after that to get it back:

reinstalled Chameleon 2

overwrote EVGA kexts in th "Extra" folder

erased LegacyHDAController and Platform driver from "Extra" and installed them into S/L/E

uninstalled AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E

none of this helped. I do have a carbon copy of my drive with 10.5.7 on it but I'm trying to fix this.

Iwas going to use iDeneb's updater (see torrent sites) but was hoping a plain update would do.

I guess not...

Any clues, all you lil' OSX86 geniuses out there?

I am have tried several things to try to get the audio working on 10.5.8 but nothing has worked out so far it seems that something in the update changed audio settings and the audio kext do not work. Has anyone found a way to get audio on the evga x58 board.

Alright well i figured out a way to get audio working for now on 10.5.8 if your using an evga x58 board. The current audio kext files we have are not compatible with the new version of appleHDA. So just install your old appleHDA from 10.5.7 and it should work with out a problem. I attached a vanilla appleHDA 10.5.7 kext file for you guys to use.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Great guide, everything went pretty smoothly.

I saw above that you can dual boot with 2 hard drives using this setup. Is it possible to do so with two partitions? I have the first partition installed with OS X per this guide and the other is an empty fat 32 partition. I could put either XP or Vista on if one is easier than the other.

Alright well i figured out a way to get audio working for now on 10.5.8 if your using an evga x58 board. The current audio kext files we have are not compatible with the new version of appleHDA. So just install your old appleHDA from 10.5.7 and it should work with out a problem. I attached a vanilla appleHDA 10.5.7 kext file for you guys to use.

awesome! Question: can it even work if its put in the extra folder? or does it have to go in the s/l/e folder? I'll edit guide to reflect this.

Great guide, everything went pretty smoothly.

I saw above that you can dual boot with 2 hard drives using this setup. Is it possible to do so with two partitions? I have the first partition installed with OS X per this guide and the other is an empty fat 32 partition. I could put either XP or Vista on if one is easier than the other.

Sure! slap it on. But to choose the boot I believe you'll use the chameleon interface.

ihavearedcouch, have you tried Snow leopard yet? i just got a hold of the "GM" copy. I tried to install it doing your method, but i get a kernel panic. Is the kext diffrent from 10.5? in the Extra/Extensions folder? im just trying it out and im planning to buy the upgrade for it when it comes out.

ihavearedcouch, have you tried Snow leopard yet? i just got a hold of the "GM" copy. I tried to install it doing your method, but i get a kernel panic. Is the kext diffrent from 10.5? in the Extra/Extensions folder? im just trying it out and im planning to buy the upgrade for it when it comes out.

irrelevant to this topic but yeah it is completely different. no, I haven't tried it. you should look around for snow leopard specific guides. It's actually easier to install on multiple systems.. So I heard.

i replaced the s/l/e applehda. It could work if you place it in the extra folder but i believe you will need to then delete the one in s/l/e

Great!!

thanks you!

I cant thank you enough! Followed the guide exactly but I used this nvidia enabler http://rapidshare.de/files/47461448/Enable..._cards.pkg.html

and then installed the hacked nvidia GTX 2xx drivers (I have a GTX 260 216SP)

http://rapidshare.de/files/47522089/NVIDIA...6.mpkg.zip.html

Hi

Great news!!

Does your 260 Graphic works with dual monitor? Just curious!!

Thanks

The audio works. Just get the 10.5.7 vanilla applehda then place it on s/l/e folder then just repair permissions. Placing on the extra folder worked for the first time but after I did maintainance it didn't work anymore.

Great work, sthacker23!

I removed the 10.5.8 AppleHDA.kext first using these commands in Terminal:

sudo -s

(enter password)

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

after that I installed the 10.5.7 AppleHDA.kext

using kext helper b7. Drag your file into the window and enter password.

( http://mac.download3000.com/download-kext-helper-5284.html )

It put the file in S/L/E, NOT Extra.

Everything worked as smooth as butter!

thanks so much!

hmm... can someone help. I finally got my evga i7 board in. Actually its model # eVGA 121-BL-E756-TR. Anyway, i tried installing the retail version from my hacked iatkos version, but i figured out it was just the macbook upgrade disc. Then i obtained a retail disc, and when I open the disc or mount the image the only option i have is to "Click the button below to restart your computer and begin the installation process." Obviously restarting isnt gonna work. Whats going on here? Is this also not a retail disc i have? This is the second retail disc ive obtained.

P.S. @Ihavearedcouch

the link in your txt guide is still for iatkos not Kalyway. But, for those who only have iatkos, here are the options i chose to install in order to get it up and running:

Toh Kernel,

x86 acpi

intel ahci sata driver

and then after it installs at the boot menu enter in safe mode and busratio=20, so:

-x -v busratio=20

Thanks for the very detailed guide. Very insightful and helpful.

On my system (see specs below), I needed to install Kalyway with the speedstep kernel and the kabyl kernel on my USB drive (even though it says choose only one kernel); installing without customizing kept freezing on me. I also named the drive with Kalyway "Restore" (apparently having a space in the drive name might also cause issues).

I got Kalyway installed on the thumbdrive, but can't seem to get any version of Mac OS X Retail installed. I keep getting the error:

"The application 'Install Mac OS X' cannot be used from this volume

To install Mac OS X, please use the application provided on the Mac OS X Installation Disc."

I have tried two versions of the Retail install, 10.5.4 Retail as DVD-DL and as DMG and 10.5.6 as DMG. I have also tried to go through the package with no success as well as formatting my SATA drive (the destination for Mac OS X) into 2 partitions, Restoring the image to the first partition and still get the same error for all methods. Has anyone seen this error before, or know how to remedy it?

Please help!

Specs:

EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920

Corsair Dominator 240Pin DDR3 6GB Triple Channel Kit

2x 500GB WD Caviar Black in RAID 1 (contains Windows Vista and Windows 7)

1x 160GB Seagate Drive (Intended for Mac OS X Leopard)

nVIDIA 9800 GTX+ 512 MB Card

Zalman 850W Dual Heatpipe Power Supply

Coolermaster V8 Heatsink and Fan

I got Kalyway installed on the thumbdrive, but can't seem to get any version of Mac OS X Retail installed. I keep getting the error:

"The application 'Install Mac OS X' cannot be used from this volume

To install Mac OS X, please use the application provided on the Mac OS X Installation Disc."

So I figured out how to install the Retail image. I followed the guide located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...use+this+volume

In short, do this:

1. Open a terminal

2. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

3. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    open OSInstall.mpkg

4. Install onto your Macintosh labeled drive

To add insult to injury, Digital_Dreamer's script had an option for installing from retail DVD. Only saw it after I installed it on my HD. Now trying to install aquamac's drivers for my 9800 GTX+ and hoping I can get it to boot without the boot-132 disk.

Thanks again!