8-channel HDA with vanilla 10.5.7/8 and 10.6 AppleHDA for ASUS P5K PRO (ALC883)

Master Chief

62 posts in this topic

Is there a similar solution for ALC882. I have a p5W-DH motherboard that requires 882.

After doing the software update to 10.5.7 i had to remove the AppleHDA.kext in order to get rid of the kernel panic at startup.

Did the software update not get the new AppleHDA for 10.5.7 ?

And can i use the one attached in this thread ?

Neo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
WORK IN PROGRESSLast update: 28 June 2009 - 23:55 (currently enjoying a nice summer holiday)

Introduction

I started to write this tutorial, not as tutorial, but as "steps to reproduce" for something I ran into, shortly after I wrote: "Pinconfig for Linux users" (here). It was something that I myself could not explain/pinpoint... and nobody was either able or willing to solve this mystery for me. That's when I started to make notes, but it was months later (June 17th) when I decided to make something useful out of it – in the hope that my info will be helpful somehow.

HI CHIEF. We share the same audio card and I got it fully working with the HDAENABLER.KEXT and no sound assertion occurs. But I have problem with the DSDT patch. Tried ur way but failed. Pls have a loook of my DSDT and see if it work out within ur ability. Many thanx. I have included my PinConfigrations using IOREG on 10.5.8. And my codecid is not available and device type in IOREG the same as urs. B.T.W I don`t got the DEVICE (DPGT) entry and I injected it after the entry as u said but it seems not working for me. Fassl told me to Change:

External (PDC1)
External (PDC0)
External (CFGD)
External (^CPU0._PPC)
External (\_PR_.CPU0._PPC)
To:
External (PDC1)
External (PDC0)
External (CFGD)
//	External (^CPU0._PPC)
External (\_PR_.CPU0._PPC)

Or remove the line that starts with //

And Change:
If (GPIC)
			{
				Return (Package (0x00) {})
			}

To:
If (GPIC)
			{
				Return (Package (0x01

) { 0x00 })

}

And it can be compiled but not working though. The CPU frequency seems higher than usual. And no sound info of course. Hope u can figure a way out. I tried my best and lost direction. ;) If u need my codec dump. You can find here.CODEC DUMP ALC883

DSDT_Details.zip

HI CHIEF. We share the same audio card and I got it fully working with the HDAENABLER.KEXT and no sound assertion occurs. But I have problem with the DSDT patch. Tried ur way but failed. Pls have a loook of my DSDT and see if it work out within ur ability. Many thanx. I have included my PinConfigrations using IOREG on 10.5.8. And my codecid is not available and device type in IOREG the same as urs. B.T.W I don`t got the DEVICE (DPGT) entry and I injected it after the entry as u said but it seems not working for me. Fassl told me to Change:

And it can be compiled but not working though. The CPU frequency seems higher than usual. And no sound info of course. Hope u can figure a way out. I tried my best and lost direction. :) If u need my codec dump. You can find here.CODEC DUMP ALC883

I see that you have your own topic about this specific problem already, and thus I will reply there... that is if I can find the time for it. However I first need to finish this guide. I'll advise you to ask other people for help, or be very very patient with me. Sorry, but that's the way things are right now.

Hi Master Chief,

Firstly thankyou enormously for your guides. It's helped me greatly! I have a GA-965P-S3 and have followed your verbs/pinconfigs guide. I have a comprehensive listing of details about my ALC883 chip now.

I'm currently trying to configure a LegacyHDA for Snow Leopard. Pathmaps and Layout ID's are the hurdles I'm currently jumping. I'd be happy to share my findings on this thread.

Enjoy your holiday...i'm due for one too I think :unsure:

Regards,

Slither2008.

[Edit] Was having a look at the sound assertion error you posted on this guide.

Jun 17 11:48:46 Chief kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-168.1.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 855 goto handler

In English this reads to me that the AppleHDA code writes a sound assertion failure to log when it fails to set the Pin Widget as Unsolicited. On success it returns 0 for true and anything other than that is considered as a failure (as defined in the AppleHDA code I'm assuming).

I'm not an expert but this is what I gathered from reading some of the Intel HDA specko. On p145 It mentions the GPIO Unsolicited Enable Mask. I'm taking a stab in the dark here but my guess is that the method setUnsolicted(boolean) was called when the controller was initialising a particular Stream. It's purpose is to read in the MuteGPIO set in the plist and enable the GPIO register as an Unsolicited. It possibly enables the ability to mute the Pin Complex widget through the AppleHDA driver????.

The GPIO (General Input Output Widget) was in a reset state (i.e. value = 0 or 0000h) due to the cold reset. The bitmask provided in the plist was invalid thus the GPIO Enable Mask register returned 0 to show that it had not been woken/enabled and the AppleHDA handled the error through the assertion?

Maybe I'm covering old ground...

[Edit 2] I should have continued reading...7.3.3.14 confirmed my theory more or less...lolol

I see that you have your own topic about this specific problem already, and thus I will reply there... that is if I can find the time for it. However I first need to finish this guide. I'll advise you to ask other people for help, or be very very patient with me. Sorry, but that's the way things are right now.

@Master Chief

I`m looking forward. Thanx for ur reply. I didn`t tried the DSDTSE app yet don`t know how to fix this board yet. Hope u can do me a favor. That`s very nice of you.

Greetz.

• 1 month later...