HP Laptop 8510w Driver Installer Package for OS X 10.5.6

Hex Hex

93 posts in this topic

I ordered the Broadcom wifi card and will replace that in my laptop. I hope it works out of the box on leopard as well as snow leopard. If not, I may just go to snow leopard, but will probably wait until I get a larger hard drive. My 160GB split up into 2 partitions seems a bit small.

Would the trick of removing AppleHPET and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement work in Leopard to get USB 2.0 or is that only for Snow Leopard? I guess I haven't transferred large files under OSX so haven't noticed the lower USB1.0 speeds.

So after a day of normal work I noticed that the temperature is going high fast! The fan still runs, but the rest of the laptop (around the WiFi card and left under) gets really really hot. Like ouch hot. This only started after removing HPET and CPUPowerManagement..

So, I put them back where they belong, and hope that it will cool down a little. I now have all my data back but not having USB 2.0 is really really annoying... but well it's better than frying my laptop.

I did notice though that Mac OS X 10.6 is really really really faster than 10.5.x... and all the extra options (build in exchange, expose dock) and so on are worth the trouble. Especially the exchange, can't imagine life without it. Actually being able to use the iCal with gmail and exchange from school at the same time!

I got the broadcom wifi card in the mail today and replaced it with the intel one and it works perfectly in OSX 10.5.8. I think I will hold off on trying to remove the AppleHPET and CPUpowerpowermanagement kexts if they may cause overheating issues. Even with the fan on the laptop not spinning, the temperatures don't seem to get that hot and I haven't even had sudden shutdowns or anything like I did before.

I have noticed that Snow Leopard runs much better than Leopard did on my desktop hackintosh, so I may try out Snow Leopard after I get another hard drive.

Now I need to boot into Vista and hopefully the broadcom wifi card works there.

UPDATE: Vista found the Broadcom wifi card no problem and installed the driver. Perfect!

A little update:

I placed them back and still the laptop gets quite hot. Luckily there are like 400 similar laptops at my school that I can use as reference, and they get quite hot as well. They run windows 7 or Vista...

So, I don't know what I want to do. I am afraid to fry my laptop, but I don't like using USB 1.0.

It could also be that the WiFi card is cousing problems, that would be a bummer. It works so nicely with OS X!

So, well, other people here, how hot does it get? And than underneath the trackpad and a little to the left! The area where the fan spins is quite normal in turns of heat, and my HDD and CPU is only around 30-40 which is quite normal right???

Or lolz, perhaps I should stop watching full HD movies and Flash movies on the internet. That can't be good :P

Edit: I am running without AppleHPET again for a few days now, and yes it gets hot, but all the other equal laptops here at school are not cold either. A few were even hotter! I have to say that I have raised the back of the laptop a bit so that more air can flow under it, and it types better as well. So, I am going to make a USB powered external FAN-docking-station to get it cold, and just accept that not everything can be perfect.

I just did a quick before and after test with removing the AppleHPET and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kexts by playing a Flash video for about 5 minutes. Both times the CPU temp according to iStat got as high as 115 degrees Fahrenheit and the hard drive got as high as 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Not sure if my USB ports are recognized as 2.0 or not. I checked the System Profiler and there were 2 high speed USB listed although there are 4 USB ports total. I'll have to do a transfer test or something to what kind of speeds I'm getting.

I have a Belkin cooling fan stand that I usually use with the laptop that really helps with the heat although it doesn't seem to get terribly hot.

Hi

The USB is correct. Before removing you might have 1 USB High Speed and 4 ports, after that you get 2 USB high speed

But that's normal! Once you insert a device that NEEDS USB 2 than it will be listed under the high speed...

I checked this with a real 13 inch mac of a friend of my, and it was the same. 4 normal usb's, and 2 high speeds.

45 degrees is not really hot right, I mean, mine did got to 50 once... I assume that removing AppleHPET and CPUPowerManagement is the way to go...

So, I'm glad that others have the same result. Means that we can have a good guide for this laptop, because at my University there are like 5000 of these laptops, so now I can help them into a Hackintosh world as well.

PS: One thing, are you able to swap between network from a cable and network? I can use both, but not in the same session. WiFi gets disabled once a network cable is attached.

Perhaps there is a setting of Enable (W)LAN switching in the bios.... hmm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished getting a dual-boot setup of Windows 7 64-bit and Snow Leopard on my HP 8510w now that I got my new 500gb drive. I initially tried installing with the 500gb via USB, but I was having all sorts of trouble and after getting Snow Leopard installed the battery was not being detected and both Vista and Windows 7 would refuse to install on the other partition.

So, I eventually just swapped out the 160gb with the 500gb and started over.

1. Downloaded and burnt Empire EFI iso to a disc and booted from it.
  2. Swapped out Empire EFI for the Retail Snow Leopard DVD and booted it.
  3. Once the setup was up, I opened Disk Utility and created 2 partitions using GPT with the Snow Leopard partition using Mac OS X Extended Journaled and the Windows partition has fat32.
  4. Exited Disk Utility and continued with install as normal; took about 20-30 minutes I think.
  5. After installation was completed, I quickly open Terminal and deleted IOATAFamily.kext from the Extensions folder using "rm -r IOATAFamily.kext"
  6. Then I restarted and booted from Empire EFI again and chose the the Snow Leopard partition to boot and I think I used "-v -f" for boot parameters.
  7. Everything booted fine and then moved on to installing Chameleon RC4 and rebooted
  8. Boot from Empire EFI once more and boot Snow Leopard; tried to use Chameleon but it wouldn't boot yet
  9. Now, I added Sinnsyk's DSDT.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extras folder since my model of laptop's specs are pretty close except for the CPU is a T8300 and I have 3GB of RAM; then I put Ruub's kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder and then ran Kext Utility. Then, I restarted.
  10. Then, I booted directly to the Snow Leopard partition and OSX came up with no issue; downloaded and installed all updates available via Software Updates.
  11. Now that OSX was up and running, I moved on to installing Windows 7, so I booted from the Windows 7 disc and entered the Repair Computer section and used diskpart to set the Windows partition as active. Restart.
  12. Boot back into Windows disc, format windows partition and then install
  13. Once Windows is installed and setup complete, I downloaded EasyBCD and setup the bootloader by adding an entry for Snow Leopard; I also did the HFS+ fix on the Snow Leopard partition within EasyBCD, but am not sure if this is actually needed.
  14. Save entries for bootloader and restart. Then it will boot to a menu with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. Selected Snow Leopard and it booted with no problem.
  15. Then, restarted back into Windows and added the "RealTimeIsUniversal" fix to the registry to fix the time sync problem.
  16. Now, I need to reinstall apps and other configuration, but both OSes are working as expected. Windows 7 is noticeably better performing on my laptop compared to when Vista was on there, but that was expected.

Only cosmetic issue I noticed is that Snow Leopard recognizes my CPU as 2.2GHz when it should be 2.4GHz. I am guessing this may be due to the DSDT. I'll get around to creating my own eventually, but this is good for now. I may try removing the 2 kexts as well to get USB 2.0 speeds, but may wait on that for now.

Only cosmetic issue I noticed is that Snow Leopard recognizes my CPU as 2.2GHz when it should be 2.4GHz. I am guessing this may be due to the DSDT. I'll get around to creating my own eventually, but this is good for now. I may try removing the 2 kexts as well to get USB 2.0 speeds, but may wait on that for now.

This probably has to do with the speed stepping of the CPU. It is done by VoodooPower.kext.

• 5 months later...

I just updated to OSX 10.6.4 via Software Update and a few things broke.

• broadcom Wireless adapter worked on and off and then stopped working altogether
  • audio was working, but then completely stopped working
  • restart stopped working

Fixed audio by running the voodooHDA installer from here; headphone jack works along with internal mic, haven't checked mic jack yet: http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloa...mp;can=2&q=

Wifi seems to have been fixed by adding "-f" flag to "Kernel Flags" in the "com.apple.Boot.plist" in /Extras. I also ran the Broadcom enabler, but not sure if this fixed it or caused problems: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51725

Fixed restart by adding OpenHaltRestart from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

I also removed AppleHPET.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to enable USB 2.0 and no issues so far.

IOATAFamily.kext showed up again, so I removed this. I haven't noticed any problems with or without this, so this step may not be necessary. I also removed AppleHDA.kext, but again not sure if this is needed.

One good thing about updating is that my CPU speed is being reported correctly as 2.4GHz.

Not sure if updating to 10.6.4 is worth all of the bother to fix things that break. It may be that having a DSDT that is properly configured for your specific system may bypass the issues I encountered, but I really have no idea. I was almost ready to just re-install everything last night, but did a bit of searching this morning and got things to work again.

Updating my desktop hackintosh to 10.6.4 was much simply with only an update needed to fix onboard audio.

UPDATE: added IOATAFamily.kext back since removing it caused the optical drive to not work

UPDATE 2: Just noticed that the battery is longer being recognized by OSX. Tried adding AppleHPET and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement back in, but still the same. :(

UPDATE 3: Grabbed VoodooPowerMini.kext 1.2.7 and VoodooBattery.kext 1.3.3 and placing them in S/L/E rather than E/E; the battery meter shows up in the finder menu after going into "Energy Saver" and checking "show battery status in the menu bar"; this put the CPU back to 2.21 from 2.4, so it seems that VoodooPower must not have been loading from E/E?; having the battery meter is more important than the 2.21 vs. 2.4 for CPU :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have most everything working on my 8510w under Snow Leopard 10.6.5.

Kexts:

S/L/E:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

VoodooPS2Control.kext

I removed the vanilla AppleHPET.kext

E/E:

AppleACPIEC.kext (32 bit only)

AppleACPIThermal.kext (32 bit only)

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

HexBacklight.kext (32 bit only)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Working:

Video (1680x1050 32 bit with QE) brightness control partially working under 32 bit

Keyboard

Trackpad (including two finger scrolling gesture)

USB 2.0 (all ports working)

Firewire

Audio (touch controls, internal mic, external line in & headphone all working)

CD-RW

Battery Indicator

Processor fans operating on battery (under 32 bit only)

Not Working:

Wifi - I am about to break down and buy a compatible card

Sleep (I had it under 10.6.4 but it broke with 10.6.5 and I can't find a replacement kext that works)

touch controls for screen brightness

little blue mouse nub (who cares)

Not Tested:

SPDIF Audio

HDMI

Fingerprint sensor (it shows up as recognized hardware but no software to test it)

Not a bad position to be in. Once I fix sleep and wifi, I'll really be in business. I'd love to find 64 bit versions of AppleACPIEC.kext, AppleACPIThermal.kext & HexBacklight.kext. These are keeping me from permanently going 64 bit. Any help would be appreciated.

Other than fixing the wifi, the next thing I think I'll do is a DSDT. I haven't seen much DSDT work for this model so I would be interested in any input on that front. In fact, I wonder if it would be possible to use the existing wifi card with the correct DSDT?

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I'm new to Mac OS, I have some experience on Linux (Ubuntu),

but I didn't manage to install Snow Leopard on my HP.

I got the same model as Sinnsyk (Intel T9300 CPU, the motherboard has a SIM card slot under the battery).

I initially installed Leopard using the iAtkos v7, and then updated the Ricoh card reader, and the Laptop power manager, as described here on the HCL: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...Portables#8510w

then I got to this post, I tried to put the screen brightness kext but it doesn't work, I then tried to upgrade / install Snow leopard using the methods described here, but the installation crashed in the middle.

so I was hoping to get some help here,

I would really like to have a good installation of MacOS on my laptop because I'm sick of win7.

could someone manage to get the mic working? the sleep? these are the most important features that I'm currently missing on the Leopard.

Thanks,

Nir

• 7 months later...

My laptop stopped working back in December (wouldn't power on at all) and only recently got the motherboard replaced. I bought an Acer TimelineX 4820TG as a replacement. Pretty nice machine.

I had tried using my same steps as before, but ran into issues when updating past 10.6. I just realized yesterday that I was not on the latest BIOS F.15.

I'm going to give another try of having only OSX installed on the laptop. I might try to put Lion on there to see how well that works. First step is trying to get 10.6.8 successfully installed.

Well, I tried getting OSX installed, but something must be different with the new motherboard. Each time I restart after installing Chameleon and the additional kexts, the keyboard and trackpad sometimes work and the USB stop working completely.

I give up at this point. Maybe I'll just put Ubuntu on there or stick with Windows Vista on it.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...