Netgear WG311T & JaS 10.4.6

58 posts in this topic

I recently installed JaS 10.4.6, and am trying to get my wireless networking going. I have a Netgear WG311T Wireless G PCI Adapter, during the install when using Network Utilities the installer recognizes my card as Apple Airport. After i boot up my install and log in it only recognizes my onboard Intel Ethernet. Ive been trying to decypher the Network plist, but am stuck. This card is listed as working in 10.4.5, should i revert to a 10.4.5 kext? I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the matter or is running the same Netgear card as me and can help me out. Ive tried changing PCI slots, and changing en0 to en1, with no sucess. Someone please shed some light. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I have the WG311T as well, however, I can't even get it to recognize. I only have the 10.4.6 release so could someone please PM me the Drivers I need? I'm guessing IO80211Family, IONetworkingFamily, and IOPCIFamily? That's the only problem I'm having and it's really frustrating me. =)

Or if easier, email to switch018@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Follow the exact say path as you would in OSX:

System -> Library -> Extensions -> IOPCIFamily.kext

Click on the kext, then click on Extract (upper left corner).

If you backup your existing kext to a safe place in case something goes wrong, then instead of Extract, try Install and Pacifist will place it in your Extensions folder for you.

ok so i have spent the past few days trying to install my netgear wg311t card on my 10.4.6 install

this is the only thing i have not got working (i havent tested ethernet yet but i really prefer wireless anyway).

as i am not certain of what i am meant to be doing, i tried a few things like replacing the kext files that people have suggested above in this thread....

do i need to place device id's in a list or something.. i read something about this but was not sure

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

do i need to place device id's in a list or something.. i read something about this but was not sure

No guarantees, but here is something to try.

Your card has an Atheros chipset. OSX has some Atheros drivers and we are going to modify them to see if it will work with your device.

I'm going to reference a procedure for modifying Broadcom drivers. Don't let that throw you - the procedure is the same and I'm going to give you the changes you need to make.

Follow this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23684

Except -

Edit this file:

sudo nano System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Look for:

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

Add this line:

<string>pci168c,13</string>

Make sure you indent these lines to match the ones above it.

Except for these changes, follow all the other steps.

Good luck!

Hi Rammjet,

thanks i am really excited. i just woke up thinking of giving up but i figure i try again.... and prob waste a few more days hahaha

but when i try to do the sudo nano thing i get a nano terminal with nothing in it... i got all the capitals in the right place etc so i am guessing there is something wrong with the install of the IO8211Family.kext install

when i boot up it says that kext is not installed properly. i did repair permisions in disk utility but i think i red something about chmod or chown? if you dont mind maybe some guidance there. i did try from another thread but it did my chown returned an errror

thanks lmo

oh and btw

so far i have:

replaced the following files into System/Library/Extensions

IO80211Family.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

and i did try to install the IO80211 kext from pacifistas well with no differences

and in the thread you are referencing

it tells me to add the device id in the string... are you telling me the device id should be 13?

for some reason i cant find the device id.... i look in windows and cant see it

Go to the System/Library/Extensions folder and drag the IO80211Family.kext to the Desktop. It will make a copy.

Right-click on the kext and select Show Package Contents

Open Contents

Open PlugIns

Right-click on AirPortAtheros5424.kext and select Show Package Contents

Open Contents

Right-click on Info.plist and select Open With Other...

Follow the path Applications -> TextEdit

Look for:

Copy/paste the line containing <string>pci168c,1c</string> so that it looks like this:

Change one of the "1c" to "13"

Save.

Drag the kext back to System/Library/Extensions. You will get 2 dialogs. One to "Authenticate" and one to Replace the existing kext. For Authenticate, click on the "Authenticate" button and give your password.

Go to System/Library

Drag the files Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext to the Trash.

Go to Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on your OSX partition.

Reboot and see if anything works

To verify your Vendor ID (168c) and your Device ID (0013) in Windows, go to Device Manager, find the device, right click and select Properties. Select the Details tab.

If you got the IO80211.kext from that thread, it is no good for you. It doesn't have the Atheros driver in it.

You should replace the IO80211.kext and the AppleAirPort2.kext with the original kexts.

If you don't have them, while in OSX, insert your install DVD and let it mount on the Desktop. Use Pacifist and point it to the install DVD and go to System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg and reinstall the 2 kexts.

Go to the System/Library/Extensions folder and drag the IO80211Family.kext to the Desktop. It will make a copy.

Right-click on the kext and select Show Package Contents

Open Contents

Open PlugIns

Right-click on AirPortAtheros5424.kext and select Show Package Contents

Open Contents

Right-click on Info.plist and select Open With Other...

Follow the path Applications -> TextEdit

Look for:

Copy/paste the line containing <string>pci168c,1c</string> so that it looks like this:

Change one of the "1c" to "13"

Save.

Drag the kext back to System/Library/Extensions. You will get 2 dialogs. One to "Authenticate" and one to Replace the existing kext. For Authenticate, click on the "Authenticate" button and give your password.

Go to System/Library

Drag the files Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext to the Trash.

Go to Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on your OSX partition.

Reboot and see if anything works

To verify your Vendor ID (168c) and your Device ID (0013) in Windows, go to Device Manager, find the device, right click and select Properties. Select the Details tab.

when i do this and reboot it tells me the airportatheros kext was installed improperly

If you got the IO80211.kext from that thread, it is no good for you. It doesn't have the Atheros driver in it.

You should replace the IO80211.kext and the AppleAirPort2.kext with the original kexts.

If you don't have them, while in OSX, insert your install DVD and let it mount on the Desktop. Use Pacifist and point it to the install DVD and go to System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg and reinstall the 2 kexts.

ok so what u are saying is that all i need is the origina 10.4.6 install and file?

maybe i try a clean install and then modify those files.?

whilst im at it i may as well ask when i install it i install sse2 for a pentium 4 2.8 hyperthread right? also what is x11?

whilst im at it i may as well ask when i install it i install sse2 for a pentium 4 2.8 hyperthread right? also what is x11?

I don't know if your processor is SSE2 or SSE3. Run CPU-Z (Google it) in Windows to find out.

X11 is a Unix windowing environment. You probably will never need it. You can install it or not, it doesn't matter.

hi i can see the card under network and driver details says atheros but i dont have a details tab

only general advanced driver resources. none give me device id

and cpu-z says its sse2 - so i had that right thanks

Here are 4 pages that list the Vendor ID as 168c and the Device ID as 0013:

http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/doc/wifi/al...ity.html#WG311T

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility#WG311T

http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33431

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd...ust/013431.html

i totally trust you rammjet. sorry if it sounded otherwise..

just i cant see it... thats not really important anyways

am reinstalling atm hopefully all goes well... thanks mate