iPhone OS on regular smartphone?

SpeedfreaK

4 posts in this topic

hey,

i was wondering, why can't we as the community make the iPhone OS run on regular phones/smartphones like we did with os x on regular pc's? Is it because the hardware used in phones isn't that much "standardized" as in pc's or because it's simply impossible or something else?

Almost an impossible task, hardware difference between smartphones is pretty massive, then you have the bootloader to contend with, and drivers... really isn't worth trying, to be honest... nice idea though :(

Real Macs and PC don't have a big hardware difference, in fact, they are nearly identical if you have the right PC hardware, which is why Mac OS X was able to run on PCs.. Not the same with smartphones.

Almost an impossible task, hardware difference between smartphones is pretty massive, then you have the bootloader to contend with, and drivers... really isn't worth trying, to be honest... nice idea though :angel:

Real Macs and PC don't have a big hardware difference, in fact, they are nearly identical if you have the right PC hardware, which is why Mac OS X was able to run on PCs.. Not the same with smartphones.

i thought it was something like that.

thx for your reply!

• 1 year later...
Almost an impossible task, hardware difference between smartphones is pretty massive, then you have the bootloader to contend with, and drivers... really isn't worth trying, to be honest... nice idea though :D

OK. That was your assessment in Apr 2009. Now, in May 2010, any new hopes?

I have Nokia 5230 which is powered by the same processor ARM11 that powers iPhone original & iPhone 3G. Too tempting a fact. Hence, my question. :) Still, a mountain of difference in hardware? iPhone OS can't mount Symbian hardware? Ever?