[How To] Fix Installation and Boot Problems

15 posts in this topic

Hi there. This is just some notes upon Installation and Boot Problems for 10.4.6

10.4.6 Jas Install Disc DVD + Patch!

INSTALLATION

Upon Installing, you get this message "There were errors installing the software"

Diagnosis: This is most likely a DVD drive error.

Solution: Simply update your firmware of your DVD drive by searching your DVD drive + Updates. If this doesn't work, get a new DVD drive.

BOOT

AMD processor, 10.4.6 jas install dvd, unresolved kernel panic, SSE3 Selected.

Diagnosis: (Unknown)

Solution: Temporary fix is to install OSx86 with SSE2 instead of SSE3.

Installation goes fine, gets b0 error when trying to boot to Hard Drive.

Diagnosis: Your Hard Drive isn't set as primary.

Solution 1: Patch your jas 10.4.6 with the new patch, install OSx86 again.

Solution 2: Use Fdisk to set your drive as primary. Attempt to boot again.

This list is simply a portion of the many notes I have. More will be added soon!

And of course feedback is appretiated along with more updates!

• 1 month later...

anyone have just a blank screen. ok let me explain. after I choose OSX, an underscore appears at the top left corner, the on the secon line another briefly then everything goes black and after maybe ten or 15 more secs it loads winxp. yes I'm trying a dual boot on the same hd, both are primary, I followed a guide, but since here is the troubleshooting topic I thought I'd give you a post and see what come up.

hello! I'm new around. after install, when in -v mode the loader stops. i saw cpu, usb, video, lan, acpi ok BUT! it stop at login window with this mesg: "cannot lookup child" and "mDNSResponder-Adding browse domain local. Any advice? THANX

Tiger 10.4.6 Castana Team

P5GDC Deluxe, P4Prescot(SSE2,3 EMT64...), maxtor 160gb sataII, GForce 6600LE, asusdvrw, toshiba dvdrw

In my install of 10.4.6 the normal boot does not work. It hangs on something that resembles a terminal prompt something like....localhost/root# and its a prompt of some kind b/c I can type at it....

However -x boots into safe mode. I havent actually figured out what safe boot actually is and how it differs from normal boot, but keep it in mind.

• 5 weeks later...

JaS, thanks again for such great work.

I don't understand, I got the b0 error on reboot, but what do you mean by "patch the 10.4.6 JaS with the new patch." Is there another patch not included in the 10.4.6 JaS DVD that I downloaded? And I need to load that?

I would use SPFDisk but it isn't booting correctly and I'm curious as to whether or not I'm missing something. Thanks!

Could someone tell me how to set the active partition while in OS X? I'm getting the b0 error, but I bypass it when I have the install DVD inside my DVD drive. (Don't just say fdisk, I need a little more detail than that)

Just a note to add to this thread.....For me and at least 2 other people I've read about - If you use the Disk Utility from 10.4.6 (The one thats on the disk AFTER you install) to partion and install OSX onto a new disk, there is no way it will boot....I have no idea why.

You must use the Disk Utility thats on the DVD when you boot up with it. I assume it gets replaced witht the newer one sometime after the install. You still may have to set the partion to active as is described above.

Basically, I found this out after I got a new machine....I just added the new machines disk to my IDE chain on my old JAS 10.4.6 box and partioned it as a OSX HFS+ and used cccloner to duplicate my old install to the new one....well..it wouldn't boot and I tried dozens of times with various tips I would find....It just wouldn't work....So I put the disk back in the new machine (still partioned from the 10.4.6 install) and attemped to do a new install....Installer saw the disk ok, and installed fine but after the install it wouldn't boot. I set the active flag via fdisk...still wouldn't boot. Many installs later as a last ditch I booted with the 10.4.6 and used the DU program to partion and reinstall....and that worked.

Problem with that theory is that I used DU three times from the OS X 10.4.6 JaS DVD right before install to have completely fresh, and that is what is causing my b0 error. So for me, partitioning via JaS 10.4.6 DVD does not fix it either. About to try fdisk again.

anyone have just a blank screen. ....after I choose OSX, an underscore appears at the top left corner, the on the secon line another briefly then everything goes black .

and the HDD LED blinks continuously.

Same problem here.

I have a separate HDD 250Mb special bought for OSx, one partition. I used Knoppix, primary, AF, Boot flagged, all like in the guide.

I have Windows XP on another HDD.

I can't make dual boot work, basically when I want to change between OS's I have to go in Bios, swap the HDD and always boot with the OSx DVD inside. Crazy. I've read all over the place and could't find anything.

Any ideas?

Everything installed fine, it boots in VMware just fine, but when i restart and try to boot into it i get some kind of panic "double panic" ? idk, my cpu has sse2 and 3, but not nx

I think it's a kernel thing, i'm going to try installing it with the sse2 patch :/

I installed with just the base patch and the sse3 one...

if i'm doing something wrong, or there's a solution i haven't been able to find in the forum/wiki then let me know please :)

Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, SSE2, SSE3

GeForce 5600 256MB

Windows XP MCE2005

Windows XP Embedded

Windows Server 2003

(hopefully i'll add os X to that list soon ><)

When I try to install, I go into verbose mode, and the only error I get is errno=55 which is to sdo with not being able to load a link local address.

The dvd stops at this line, and will not load anything more.

BSD root: disk1s3, major 14, minor 6

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Socket 939

DH-E3

90 nm

MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

CPU Clock Speed 1989.9 MHz

DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Motherboard manufacturer MSI

Motherboard model AMETHYST-M, 1.0

BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD

BIOS revision 3.20

BIOS release date 07/08/2005

Chipset ATI RS480 rev. 10

Southbridge ATI SB400 rev. 00

Sensor chip Winbond 6001

ATi Radeon xpress 200 series 800MHz and 1GHz HyperTransport interface speeds

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

PLEASE SOME HELP.... :-)

I installed the MacOSX 10.4.8 from a JaS 10.4.8 disk on a different HD (not a partition. I tought (wrongly) that I could try that way on a second time. Everything went smooth (seemed) during the installation. The DVD started with the "usual" windows (I am a Mac user) and so on. Until the VERY last when my wife called me.... When I came back there was the underscore symbol blinking on the black screen. I had to restart as I could do nothing... not even type anything. From that time there was NO chance!!!! I am not anymore able to boot from a MacOSX DVD installer! I downladed a new one from a Torrent (may be different as newer) but everytime I boot from DVD I get the blinking underscore cursor!!! So I cannot try to install the OS using the same HD of XP partitioned... :-(

Please.... any suggestion? Do you think I might get trough reformatting EVERYTHING? :-)

Thanks

Gabriele

Anyone with any idea? I tried all in my knoledge to solve the problem. I am sure the installation started the first time!!! Now I got a wired keybord but it does not write when the blinking underscore cursor appears. So it is NOT a keyboard related problem...

I bought a new Hard Drive and I unplugghed the drive with 2 partitions (one with XP, other empty, ready for OSX) but the blinking bloody cursor appears again, not like the first time when a lot of writings appeared before the blue installation screen). PLEASE any idea? Any other suggestion? Different from buying a REAL mac.... ;-)

Thanks

Gabriele

• 1 month later...
Hello,

PLEASE SOME HELP.... :-)

I installed the MacOSX 10.4.8 from a JaS 10.4.8 disk on a different HD (not a partition. I tought (wrongly) that I could try that way on a second time. Everything went smooth (seemed) during the installation. The DVD started with the "usual" windows (I am a Mac user) and so on. Until the VERY last when my wife called me.... When I came back there was the underscore symbol blinking on the black screen. I had to restart as I could do nothing... not even type anything. From that time there was NO chance!!!! I am not anymore able to boot from a MacOSX DVD installer! I downladed a new one from a Torrent (may be different as newer) but everytime I boot from DVD I get the blinking underscore cursor!!! So I cannot try to install the OS using the same HD of XP partitioned... :-(

Please.... any suggestion? Do you think I might get trough reformatting EVERYTHING? :-)

Thanks

Gabriele

Anyone with any idea? I tried all in my knoledge to solve the problem. I am sure the installation started the first time!!! Now I got a wired keybord but it does not write when the blinking underscore cursor appears. So it is NOT a keyboard related problem...

I bought a new Hard Drive and I unplugghed the drive with 2 partitions (one with XP, other empty, ready for OSX) but the blinking bloody cursor appears again, not like the first time when a lot of writings appeared before the blue installation screen). PLEASE any idea? Any other suggestion? Different from buying a REAL mac.... ;-)

Thanks

Gabriele

you already dealed to boot in a diferent disk in the bios hardisk select?

• 1 month later...

please help me

when i install mac os x in primary partition (i crated this partition with partition magic 8.0 and diskpart/select disk 0 /create partition primaru id=af and erase this partition in disk utility menu in mac installer and creat extented jurnalled partition and active this partition with SPFDISK.EXE .SPFDISK.EXE show this partition type "unknown" then countinue install )when reboot system this massege shows: missing operation system.when i used chain0 file for duall boot this message show:chain boot error.