HD 4870X2 or GTX 280 fully working

dementho

8 posts in this topic

I am thinking about getting either a HD 4870 X2 or GTX 280, but does the 4870 X2 is fully compatible with a hackintosh system?

is there already a working patch/driver/kext for the 4870 X2 or GTX 280?

First I was thinking about getting a 9800GT, but then I was thinking: " why not getting something extraordinary" :P

Or do we have to wait for 10.5.7 and hope that we can get some drivers?

Does it work with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L or GA-EP45-UD3R?

Hope you guys can help me out.

Buy two 4870s. It's cheapper

That would be the only way to do it. You can then use them both as 2 seperate cards in OSX and run multiple monitors, and run both under Windows in Crossfire. I have a 4870X2 and for the life of me I can't get it working.

With Snow Leo builds I've had more luck, but still not a fully working solution. I think we have to wait for the final or a near final release of Snow Leo with better graphics support to see if they'll work.

That would be the only way to do it. You can then use them both as 2 seperate cards in OSX and run multiple monitors, and run both under Windows in Crossfire. I have a 4870X2 and for the life of me I can't get it working.

With Snow Leo builds I've had more luck, but still not a fully working solution. I think we have to wait for the final or a near final release of Snow Leo with better graphics support to see if they'll work.

and which mainboard would you prefer for getting 2 or more pci-e x16 cards to run that is also as compatible as possible?

and which mainboard would you prefer for getting 2 or more pci-e x16 cards to run that is also as compatible as possible?

Personally I'm running an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe (onboard wifi for Windows, crossfire, many USB ports, eSATA etc...). Works with a vanilla boot-132 install no problems. Did take some initial setting up, but once I found all the kexts I needed to get mostly everything working (just needed to buy an nVidia 9500GT and a wifi dongle) it was smooth sailing from there.

There are many crossfire boards that will work fine though, it's best to look around here and research. Also depends on how much you want to spend. My MoBo was expensive when I bought it, but it's a good P45 chipset. You might want an X48 chipset instead or something.

Good luck finding what you need :D

M0rpheus, have you tried using EFI strings yet? I have a 3870X2 and I've only ever been able to get mine to work with EFI strings and the Megalodon framebuffer. Somehow, all of the tutorials still say that Natit and Triakis work, but this is impossible for me. Anyways, my point is that I'm looking to get a 4870X2 and I would like to know if this could be the solution.

M0rpheus, have you tried using EFI strings yet? I have a 3870X2 and I've only ever been able to get mine to work with EFI strings and the Megalodon framebuffer. Somehow, all of the tutorials still say that Natit and Triakis work, but this is impossible for me. Anyways, my point is that I'm looking to get a 4870X2 and I would like to know if this could be the solution.

Personally, the only solution I have been able to get anywhere near working (on Snow Leopard) is Natit, EFI strings I have had no luck with whatever. However I think that the EFI string that I've been using was completely wrong/missing stuff anyhow.

As I explained in a thread below, Snow Leo has a MUCH greater chance of working as it seems to have compatible framebuffers. Just hoping for an X2000.kext/OpenGL framework that works correctly and allows me to enable QE/CI.