• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Jedric

Jedric

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Looking forward. I have not touched the front usb for a while as i was having issues. I have not tested on Lion hopefully it works better.

EEMark

EEMark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Looking forward. I have not touched the front usb for a while as i was having issues. I have not tested on Lion hopefully it works better.

A special thanks to you. It was one of your earlier posts that triggered the action to trace pins 5 & 7. Before that the USB problem had fallen onto my back burner. Previous investigation indicated that it was a power problem, but tracing the front board isn't easy. Taking meter readings is very difficult since most of the contact points need to be scraped clean. It seems like there is a clear coating applied on the board.

My rig is running the latest Snow Leopard (10.6.8?) . Most everything is stable, so I'll wait a while before making another software leap.

A current project is adding front panel HD audio support. I want a fully functional sensing operation and correct presence indications. My system can run either OSX or Win7, and the audio should work correctly for both. After reading all of the data sheets, it would appear that a true solution is close at hand.

Mark

neil43

neil43

Grey Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
In my Mac Pro hack the front panel diagram that worked for me is by mooner on TonyMacX86 at
http://www.tonymacx8...=...85&start=10

Then I brought up the fire wire ports and audio as described here:
http://www.tonymacx8...hp?f=76&t=32353

Try to locate an Apple front panel audio cable to mate with the FP connector.
Looking down on the assembly; Left most pin Sense, next Ground, next Left channel, next Right channel, right most pin is shield ground. Cable the ground and Left and Right to your PC Audio header (see your MB manual for that pin-out). Mine worked first try.

And note that the front panel audio done this way is not audio detected... you need to go into the Sound preferences and select the front head phones (assumes you have the correct kext loaded).

neil

EEMark

EEMark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. My case came with an original FoxConn audio cable, so it was a matter of getting the MB socket adapter side to work correctly.

My audio is working under OSX now. The sensing wire-up is ready as well. I'll test that under Win7 to verify correct operation.

With that done, it seems like all of the front panel connections are working correctly on my box.

BTW, the Mooner diagram shows the top 5V supply coming from a SATA power connector. During sleep, that power source will turn off, so you won't get a blinking LED indicator. The diagram also seems to leave off the 3.3V connector. Does that affect any of the Firewire operations?

Mark

neil43

neil43

Grey Beard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Well I wired in the 3.3VDC and have never tested without it. And I don't test sleep on my Power Mac or Mac Pro hacks as they are either running 24/7 or powered off.

I do not own Win 7 by choice so can not share anything in that area.

neil

EEMark

EEMark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My audio cable was rewired to include all of the correct design features as specified in the Intel HD audio specification. In the end it only required the addition of a couple well placed resistors to the connection plug. Now my cable is officially recognized by the motherboard, and all of the detection circuitry works. So if my machine is booted into Windows, plugging in headphones causes the port to auto-recognize.

Time permitting, I'll draw up a diagram and post the results for others to follow.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy