[GUIDE] DELL XPS M1210 + OSx86 (iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6) Post Install

joshms83

61 posts in this topic

Yup.. I hear ya.

Anyways last night I tried loading the same v1.4 10.5.6 used by the guide here and Installed fine on my m1210 but when rebooted it stays at the grey apple logo.

Which ISO did you use and what options did ya select prior to installing the OS itself?

Any steps you want to share to a fella 945 video user? hehe

Thanks

ok so i finally got almost everything working

iPC 10.5.6 disc [booted with cpus=1 and then got the kernal fromthe m1210 post install dmg]

i also got this from the disc

ethernet works flawlessly

i used the clamshell kext and powermanagement bundle

intel 950gma vid drivers

ichx driver

bcm440x

macbook smbios :)

and then get osx86 tools

it saves SO MUCH time.

all i have to get to work is like when it sleeps the display also sleeps. but it never wakes up. so igtta figure that out.

i have to use my iphone as amodem till my wifi card comes lol...

ok so i finally got almost everything working

iPC 10.5.6 disc [booted with cpus=1 and then got the kernal fromthe m1210 post install dmg]

i also got this from the disc

ethernet works flawlessly

i used the clamshell kext and powermanagement bundle

intel 950gma vid drivers

ichx driver

bcm440x

macbook smbios :)

and then get osx86 tools

it saves SO MUCH time.

all i have to get to work is like when it sleeps the display also sleeps. but it never wakes up. so igtta figure that out.

i have to use my iphone as amodem till my wifi card comes lol...

phone as modem rox fo sho... yup

Ok ama download ipc 10.5.6 and let ya know how it does,, Thanks for info

phone as modem rox fo sho... yup

Ok ama download ipc 10.5.6 and let ya know how it does,, Thanks for info

rohizzle121, I just talked to a dell rep (w/o giving my info or service number) and asked him about my accidental covarage if by laptop breaks beyond repair/replacement what would happen since the m1210 has been discontinued for a while now. He said I would get an equivalent model to mine. So I said, which one would fit me. When I mentioned the m1210, he placed me on hold.. after 5min he said that it would be the xps m1330.. I said thanks and hung up.

damn damn its so tempting to do so.. I still have 75 days before it ends.. LOL

Dude the m1330 is so nice. Even though it was cheaper when they first came out lol. I wonder if they will match your processor speed lol.

You don't have to reinstall the whole os when you forget a drive. Just boot into the CD and when you hit customize just unchecked the base files a d then only pick what drivers you want.

I got mine running pretty well. I found like yhis way to get the screen awake. Setyhe bottom left. Corner as sleep display. So when hou sleep it you just hover to that corner and mo ve away and it works.Tell me how the m1330 is. :D

Did you get your USB to work? I have exactly the same problem, and it is really annoying to have to restart the computer every time I want to plug in a USB device. Thanks or help!!

Same problem here... Everytime I want to use a USB device I need to reboot with the device attached.

Any fix please ???

Same problem here... Everytime I want to use a USB device I need to reboot with the device attached.

Any fix please ???

Well, I figured out a workaround...if you are on10.5.8 and using the dual core kernel from the m1210.dmg image, then your USB will stop working. I have tried the 10.5.8 dual core kernel (i dont know where I found it), which kinda worked for USB (my USB key would always mount, but iTouch only sometimes) and my graphics was weirded out. So I decided to go back to the original 10.5.8 kernel that comes in the combo upgrade bundle and just deal with cpus=1, but have everything else working correctly (USB works perfectly, graphics and everything else) and I doubt that the performance hit is so big. So that was my solution, not the greatest, but things work, haha

Well, I figured out a workaround...if you are on10.5.8 and using the dual core kernel from the m1210.dmg image, then your USB will stop working. I have tried the 10.5.8 dual core kernel (i dont know where I found it), which kinda worked for USB (my USB key would always mount, but iTouch only sometimes) and my graphics was weirded out. So I decided to go back to the original 10.5.8 kernel that comes in the combo upgrade bundle and just deal with cpus=1, but have everything else working correctly (USB works perfectly, graphics and everything else) and I doubt that the performance hit is so big. So that was my solution, not the greatest, but things work, haha

which combo upgrade did ya use to go to 10.5.8? did ya do it from 10.5.6?

Like in all honesty, what is in 10.5.8 that isn't in 10.5.7 that you need?

I would rather have both cores in 10.5.7 than one core in 10.5.8 because you are literally losing 50% performace. I just got from 10.5. 6 to 10.5.7 an then made a image of it (9ish GB) and then put that on my hard drive so I won't have to worry about doing all this over again.

And plus my ultimate goal is to get SL on this. I can just use the old LEO kexts and boot in 32bit mode. In theory it shouldn't be too hard lol. But that's just in theory.

Ok I offically got everything working. 100% including sleep and what not. Now to get 110% which is 2 finger scorlling lol :(

Like in all honesty, what is in 10.5.8 that isn't in 10.5.7 that you need?

I would rather have both cores in 10.5.7 than one core in 10.5.8 because you are literally losing 50% performace. I just got from 10.5. 6 to 10.5.7 an then made a image of it (9ish GB) and then put that on my hard drive so I won't have to worry about doing all this over again.

And plus my ultimate goal is to get SL on this. I can just use the old LEO kexts and boot in 32bit mode. In theory it shouldn't be too hard lol. But that's just in theory.

Ok I offically got everything working. 100% including sleep and what not. Now to get 110% which is 2 finger scorlling lol :(

well i tried the 10.5.7 upgrade and didnt work for me.. my screen is black after the apple logo boot

well i tried the 10.5.7 upgrade and didnt work for me.. my screen is black after the apple logo boot

Just boot with -x and then install the drivers off the ipc DVD. Or you can boot to the DVD after you install the update and then when you hit customize don't click the box that says base files or whatever. Just install the GFX kext.

And

ps

you really should boot with -v when changing system files so you can see any errors/kp

Just boot with -x and then install the drivers off the ipc DVD. Or you can boot to the DVD after you install the update and then when you hit customize don't click the box that says base files or whatever. Just install the GFX kext.

And

ps

you really should boot with -v when changing system files so you can see any errors/kp

ok so if I download iPC 10.5.7 .. which exact drivers do I need to install (check/uncheck) ?

ok so if I download iPC 10.5.7 .. which exact drivers do I need to install (check/uncheck) ?

i dont think such a disc exsists.

but all you have to do is, download the upadte from apples website and then install it and then boot into the -v -x mode and then install the gfx drivers from the disc.

i dont think such a disc exsists.

but all you have to do is, download the upadte from apples website and then install it and then boot into the -v -x mode and then install the gfx drivers from the disc.

ok sounds fair enough.. lol

read your PM pal. Thx

see am kinda new still with this OSX thing hehe.. I've managed to install mac on most of my laptop, but none were as complex as the m1210.

so if I install 10.5.7 from the update, then reboot with -v or -x .. what command do use to install the gfx driver from the disc? (I would imagine you mean the 10.5.6 disc right?)

give me some steps on what to do once I reboot to -v/-x from the update.

Thanks,,

haha i totally understand

ok so the little things im telling to you boot with are called kernal flags

you boot with them to change how the computer boots

so once you update to 10.5.7

your going to restart and when you do you should see the thing that says, if you want to change boot options please push anykey or it might say please push f8

well push what ever it asks you and then it shows your harddrive and then you type

"-v -x" with out the quotes

-v mode means verbose instead of seeing the apple and the spinning thing, you see the stuff that is happening in the background aka the files/kext/everything else thats being loaded

-x means safe mode where it loads the most Basic things to get it too just show the desktop so no wifi ethernet gfx drivers. just like mouse and keybaord and usb and thats about it.

when you update to 10.5.7 somewhere your GFX drivers are getting overwritten and you need to replace them with the ones that you know that work

and when you try and boot without getting the old ones back it wont work and thenyou just see the black screen.

so bootinto -x mode so its doesnt need any gfx drivers or anything. and then pop in the iPC 10.5.6 dvd and then install it

but when you get to the part where you custimise it, just uncheck the top box becuase that will isntall everything over again, you just need the gffx drivers. so then go and find the intel gfx box and check that and then you should repair disk persmissions and whatnot and then you should be good ;)

and dude, your pretty lucky, this has been the easiest osx install i have had to do [3rd pc]

my first one [signature]

literally took me a week to get everything working and at that sleep still doesnt work. lol

haha i totally understand

ok so the little things im telling to you boot with are called kernal flags

you boot with them to change how the computer boots

so once you update to 10.5.7

your going to restart and when you do you should see the thing that says, if you want to change boot options please push anykey or it might say please push f8

well push what ever it asks you and then it shows your harddrive and then you type

"-v -x" with out the quotes

-v mode means verbose instead of seeing the apple and the spinning thing, you see the stuff that is happening in the background aka the files/kext/everything else thats being loaded

-x means safe mode where it loads the most Basic things to get it too just show the desktop so no wifi ethernet gfx drivers. just like mouse and keybaord and usb and thats about it.

when you update to 10.5.7 somewhere your GFX drivers are getting overwritten and you need to replace them with the ones that you know that work

and when you try and boot without getting the old ones back it wont work and thenyou just see the black screen.

so bootinto -x mode so its doesnt need any gfx drivers or anything. and then pop in the iPC 10.5.6 dvd and then install it

but when you get to the part where you custimise it, just uncheck the top box becuase that will isntall everything over again, you just need the gffx drivers. so then go and find the intel gfx box and check that and then you should repair disk persmissions and whatnot and then you should be good :)

and dude, your pretty lucky, this has been the easiest osx install i have had to do [3rd pc]

my first one [signature]

literally took me a week to get everything working and at that sleep still doesnt work. lol

done deal.. now running @ 10.5.7.

Seen all the posts about having integrated video WOES on the m1210 and honestly if you follow the TUTs you will be running it like I did.

Next mission ----> 10.5.8 and perhaps SL 10.6.1 LOL

done deal.. now running @ 10.5.7.

Seen all the posts about having integrated video WOES on the m1210 and honestly if you follow the TUTs you will be running it like I did.

Next mission ----> 10.5.8 and perhaps SL 10.6.1 LOL

haha yeah it's good the ipc has an awesome gma945 kext. Otherwise we would be screwed.

I'm happy there's a tut for this laptop otherwise I would have figure what I needed and what not like I did with my sig pc.

I just tried going from 10.5.7->10.6

and it was epic fail lol

I used the autoinstaller and I forgot to install chamleon and my kexts before I installed SL aNd it was just a mess. I just formatted and haven't had time to try again.

I got the follow kexts to get it to boot tho

ichx

bcm44x

all the gma ones from iPc

openrestarthault

fakesmc

nullappleintelcpu

the ps2 drivers from iPC even though the keyboard worked but the mouse didn't, so I used a USB

and then someothers that come by defaut. And I put the EFI string in the com.Boot.apple.plist.

Someone has to patchthe kernal to get both CPUs working, I assume. But haven't gotten far enough to check.

I'll keep you updated, and when I'm done, I'll make an autoinstaller for the m1210'S with GMA GFX and then write a tutorial in the future.

I just need my FREAKIN wifi card to come in. I'm tired of usuing my iPhone as a modem lol. I've used like 2GBS in the past three days and there is a 5GB cap on iPhone data plans by AT&T >.>

Ps the speeds on my phone are redic! I'm getting like 250KBS when dling iWork trial.

PSS

is your ethernet speeds slow? Could you by anychance test it for me. For some reason my speeds are like

HELLASlow over Ethernet.

haha yeah it's good the ipc has an awesome gma945 kext. Otherwise we would be screwed.

I'm happy there's a tut for this laptop otherwise I would have figure what I needed and what not like I did with my sig pc.

I just tried going from 10.5.7->10.6

and it was epic fail lol

I used the autoinstaller and I forgot to install chamleon and my kexts before I installed SL aNd it was just a mess. I just formatted and haven't had time to try again.

I got the follow kexts to get it to boot tho

ichx

bcm44x

all the gma ones from iPc

openrestarthault

fakesmc

nullappleintelcpu

the ps2 drivers from iPC even though the keyboard worked but the mouse didn't, so I used a USB

and then someothers that come by defaut. And I put the EFI string in the com.Boot.apple.plist.

Someone has to patchthe kernal to get both CPUs working, I assume. But haven't gotten far enough to check.

I'll keep you updated, and when I'm done, I'll make an autoinstaller for the m1210'S with GMA GFX and then write a tutorial in the future.

I just need my FREAKIN wifi card to come in. I'm tired of usuing my iPhone as a modem lol. I've used like 2GBS in the past three days and there is a 5GB cap on iPhone data plans by AT&T >.>

Ps the speeds on my phone are redic! I'm getting like 250KBS when dling iWork trial.

PSS

is your ethernet speeds slow? Could you by anychance test it for me. For some reason my speeds are like

HELLASlow over Ethernet.

The ethernet isnt too bad. I just did all the updates from it with the exception of the 10.5.8 one.

I am awaiting on my 1505 card to arrive this week.

Hey if you get SL going when you reformat again that be cool indeed.

PS: I know you keep on mentioning the m1330 upgrade I can have.. but still have like 70 days left on the m1210 so might do it when its about 20-days left. We'll see how it goes.

Also I was offered by email to extend my Dell Complete Care to 2yrs once the 70 days reach the end, for a cool price of $99 for 2yrs. Not bad at all.

The ethernet isnt too bad. I just did all the updates from it with the exception of the 10.5.8 one.

I am awaiting on my 1505 card to arrive this week.

Hey if you get SL going when you reformat again that be cool indeed.

PS: I know you keep on mentioning the m1330 upgrade I can have.. but still have like 70 days left on the m1210 so might do it when its about 20-days left. We'll see how it goes.

Also I was offered by email to extend my Dell Complete Care to 2yrs once the 70 days reach the end, for a cool price of $99 for 2yrs. Not bad at all.

[/quote

I was getting like 6kbs. Maybe I need to reinstall it or somthing. Hmm. I Just partitioned the drive (120gb) 60/50/10 and then restored the disc to my 10gb partition and then installed to the fifty. And when I'm done installed , and because of how awesome the GPT paritioning scheme is, I can resize it when I'm done. I adivse you do That instead of usuing a flash drive.

Oh haha that's a good idea. You like single handledly inspired me to get that warrenty next laptop I get :)

got my 1505 wireless card and working great.. also got an extra 1390 (for my dell 640m) and also installed in the m1210 to see how it works and also does very well.. so you cant go wrong with either 1505 (B/G/N) and 1390 (B/G)

got my 1505 wireless card and working great.. also got an extra 1390 (for my dell 640m) and also installed in the m1210 to see how it works and also does very well.. so you cant go wrong with either 1505 (B/G/N) and 1390 (B/G)

Haha weird. My 1390 came intoday too. Flawless in Leo, idk about snowleo yet. I can't get the GFX kext working anymore. I don't know what I need to do. I tried like every combo