mATX Suggestions, is this setup 'retail' suitable

69 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just a brief update. It's working now. Yippee!!

I used the boot132 disk to get back to the Leopard install disk. Once I got there I was able to bring up the terminal. I ran the post-install.sh file and now she works just great and comes up like a beauty.

Thanks for all for this thread. Now, if I can just determine the settings for best overclocking this E5200 on this MB I'll be golden. The kids will be excited to have a computer to play on.

-- Jeff

Yes, if you can post a step by step, that would be great.. I think I have the concept down, but still nice to have a guide of any sort that is specific to this HW. I got all my pieces now except the memory (hopefully that'll show up today...)

Hi all,

After building the box here's what I did to get the retail Mac OS X Leopard installed. I can't take credit for any of this as I've pulled from many different posts. But this way doesn't require already having a copy of Leopard.

I first download the modified kexts boot 132 iso and burned it to disk using disk utility (on a MacBook that I have.) I found it here:

http://hotfilms.org/non-windows/modified-b...opar-24525.html

I used the rapidshare link not the mediafire because that one doesn't seem to work for me. Again, it's the "Download with modified kexts" file, not the first one. I originally tried the original boot 132 but couldn't get it to work for me.

I booted up with the MB132 CD. I hit enter once it came up. It will ask where you want to boot from. My DVD id was listed by default (f9e, or something like that).

Once you're at the prompt you need to eject the MB132 CD and put in your retail Leopard disk. Don't hit enter again with the MB132 CD in there. Wait until the lights stop blinking on the DVD burner (just a couple of seconds) and then hit enter. You should see the Leopard installer come up.

Once the installer starts and you select your language you'll want to bring up the disk utility from selecting it under one of the menu items. I formatted my drive with two equal size partitions and I plan to have a backup of my main partition on the other so I can download updates and have something to go back to if something gets dorked. Make sure you click options and select a GUID partition for where you plan to install Leopard and boot from. I did GUID on both my partitions as this was the default.

Once you have formatted the drives, quitting disk utility brings you back to the installer. Select your disk to install to and let her run. After it installs you'll need to reboot. The "reboot" button in the dialog doesn't work yet so you'll likely need to hit the reset.

As the computer is rebooting put your MB132 CD back in there and boot from it. You'll need it to boot. Once you hit enter you'll want to put your retail Leopard disk back in and go through like you are going to install again. Instead of selecting disk utility choose terminal. Before this I should have noted that you need to download the leopard-install-kit.zip from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156172)

Using the terminal from the installer didn't provide an unzip tool so I had to unzip it from another package. Once I had it unzipped I also modified the file, per the instructions in the link, to put my hard drives name in there. I then copied this folder to a USB drive and that's what I put in once I was at the terminal window from the installer. I did a cd to the location of the patch file (/Volumes/...) and ran it. I might have had to 'chmod 755' the file, I don't recall. After the script finished executing I quit terminal. Once back to the installer I just quit the installer and again had to manually reboot with the MB132 CD in the drive.

Going back this time around (after hitting return) I then typed in the hard drive number to boot from instead of booting from the Leopard DVD. In my case this was '80'. Leopard came up and I went through the set up process until I got to the desktop. Once there I followed the instructions in the rest of the link above and installed pc-efi v9 and also ran EFI to provide strings for my graphics card and audio. You can eject the MB132 CD that's in there and choose restart. You should see your graphics card being recognized, sound work, reboot, shutdown working, and it boots without the MB132 CD.

I've not tested the sleep function yet to see if it works but that's the way I got it installed. Sorry to be so long winded but I hope that helps someone. Now, I just need to learn how to overclock this baby and have a really fast machine.

*Please* buy Leopard. I do NOT advocate in any way pirating the software.

Take care.

-- Jeff

Just got my HTPC Hackintosh up and running and was amazed how easy it was.

My build is the same as most people on this list:

CPU - Intel Dual Core E5200

MotherBoard - Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L

Ram - 4GB Kit (2x2048MB) PC6400 800MHz

Video - Asus 8400GS 512 silent

I have built a few PC's in the past, but have been a Mac user for twenty years so I used a Mac to build my new Hackintosh.

Here's what I did:

Using a USB to SATA drive dock that I use for backups I formated a raw drive with Disk Utility one partition, HFS+ journaled.

After the disk was formated and mounted on my desktop I used a retail copy of Leopard 10.5.0 to install a minimum OS. That means no X11 tools, no extra language packs, and no printer drivers.

Once the installation was complete the machine re-starts, and you get the welcome screen and are asked to fill in registration details that are used to create your user / admin account.

Did software update to update from 10.5.0 to 10.5.6. The machine is going to have a wired ethernet connection so I chose not to update any airport utilities. Once the machine was up to date with 10.5.6 and all security patches I then loaded the Safari 4 beta.

Using PCWiz's Universal OSx86 Installer I installed EFI tools, Chameleon and the driver for my video card 8400GS and everything else that was not grayed out. I did not install any custom Kexts. Installing all of this is as simple as clicking one button.

Removed the drive from the drive dock and connected it to the new hardware, connected the DVI on the video card to the HDMI on my display with a $6 cable, crossed my fingers and powered up the machine for the first time. I expected that I would have to mess with the boards BIOS settings, but instead, within 30 seconds I was looking at my OS X desktop. The screen resolution was off, windows would not refresh properly, but everything else appeared to work.

I then re-ran the Universal Installer and changed the video from 720p to the default 2560 X 1600. I also changed the video driver from the 512Mb version of my card to the 256MB version. Restarted the machine and all the video issues were fixed, and I spent the evening watching Hulu on my new mac.

Everything that I have tested appears to work. Sleep works from both the keyboard (command-option-eject) and the Apple menu. Restart works and so does shutdown. I am using the on board ethernet and it is working fine. It even self configured itself in the network preference pane. The only thing that I have not tested is sound, but as I dont have speakers to connect and already had an old USB audio converter I am using that to connect sound to my Samsung 720p TV that this machine is driving.

If I had known how simple and painless this was going to be I would not have put it off for a week while I researched alternate install methods and downloaded all sorts of patches and other tools that I ended up not needing. PCWiz's Universal Installer is simply amazing, and in my mind the only way to go - if you already have a mac or hack that you can run it on.

Just got my HTPC Hackintosh up and running and was amazed how easy it was.

you needed a working Mac to do this tho, right?

(I'm trying to find install process that I can be sure I can sell my aging powermac after my new hackintosh is up and running)

Yes.

I installed the OS onto the external drive using my Intel iMac. The same process should work with a ppc based system as the installer is universal.

The hardest part of the whole process was getting my giant sharp edged XigmaTek heatsink attached to the board.

Got all my pieces (gm31, etc)... I insert the boot 132 modified, and wait for enter.. hit that, see 9f as the device, eject boot132, insert install DVD, and hit return. I see a white/apple screen.. then it goes black... and stays there.

I connected off the DVI on my nvidia 8400GS card (in case it matters).

suggestions?

I can install via iPC 10.5.6 and get it to boot.. but no luck on sound or video yet (I tried Uinstaller 8400gs 256M).

May give that another shot.

I've had some pretty good luck via iPC 10.5.6

(EDITTED with latest info for success)

1. Boot from iPC 10.5.6

2. Use Disk Utility to erase HD. Quit Disk Utility back to the Installer

3. Go to Customize and pick

- Fixes: verbose mode, start/restart

- Applications: osx86 Tools, kext installer

4. Install, and wait for reboot.

5. Run OSx86 Tools, click on "View PCI Device/Vendor ID".. let it install lspci, reboot, run osx86utils and click on "View PCI info..." again, and save the report.

6. Choose "Download and install HW drivers", pick ALC883, and do a download/install, it will install

- Intel HDA 82801G (ALC883)

- Intel 82801g Series USB EHCI

- Intel ICH7 (82810GB/GR/GH) SATA

- Realtek RTL811/816BB <- do NOT install this, see step 8.

Click Download and Install.. you will get several dialog boxes to hit ok showing the progress

7. (you may or may not need to reboot to see this) Go to Apple Preferences->Sound->Output and choose lineout or digital out. Change the volume and you should hear a beep (from speakers connected to the green connector on the back or via SPDIF. I used this cable http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...%3D230317842203 connected to the 3 pin SPDIF header on the mobo)

8. for Bonjour function (ie. iTunes shares) with the RTL8111C use RealtekR100_1.8.1 kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=42871 . I also added the IONetworking kext, but am not certain it is needed.

9. For graphics, I started with a PNY low profile 256M 8400gs. I think I finally have a working NVinject (modified NVCAP). I found a good deal on a 512M 9500GT and curiously, the same nvinject is working with that (will post soon) on the bottom DVI port.

For monitoring CPU temp, I'm using Hardware Monitor.

edits:

Mar 24: add updated ethernet and graphics info

Mar 27: HW monitor is now working for my temps

Apr 24: Add Ethernet kext

Apr 24: Add IONetworking kext

RealtekR1000_1.8.1.kext.zip

IOetworkingFamily.kext.zip

So far, we have several ways to get this mobo to work, which is great. Why anyone would build the $250 Atom system when this is almost as cheap is beyond me :(

One question (and this is part of my osx86 learning process).. so far here, all these methods are using modified kexts in the normal system area? So we have to exercise caution before applying any system updates? It sounds like the next version of Chameleon will make putting the modified kexts on EFI much easier? (and then we can update at will?)

(again, I used iPC 10.5.6, mostly with defaults, and then patched afterwards)

thanks,

Mike

I looking into making a hackintosh and I am wondering if anyone see any problems with this build setup.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

(now looking at this thread.. maybe GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2

(still figuring out the Graphic Card, if any suggestions)

Thanks...

I can confirm digital (optical) audio works for the G31M using http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230317842203

You could probably build your own cable as well (easy for the coax): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=997533 (I wanted optical tho)

That's great. I ordered one two but have yet to put it in. I need to be sure I put it in the right way. Supposedly getting that backwards (and it's possible, since it fits both ways) puts a short across the MB.

Mine has been a good setup. I've even got DVI working great. The only issue that I've had and still remains is when it wakes from sleep my DVI doesn't wake up too. If I've got VGA hooked up the screen pops back up. But not with DVI. Anyone have a suggestion? This is what I used to get DVI working (installed NVINJECT.KEXT):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aded&start=

Thanks.

-- Jeff

I looking into making a hackintosh and I am wondering if anyone see any problems with this build setup.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

(now looking at this thread.. maybe GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2

(still figuring out the Graphic Card, if any suggestions)

Thanks...

I have the E8400.. nothing but joy on that front so far. For GFX stay (far) away from the PNY 8400GS.

That's great. I ordered one two but have yet to put it in. I need to be sure I put it in the right way. Supposedly getting that backwards (and it's possible, since it fits both ways) puts a short across the MB.

There is an arrow on the cable connector for pin 1, and I think pin 1 is clearly marked on the mobo.

Hi all,

I've seen in this review

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2...s-least-machine

that Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L is used also in a Psystar Open Computer.

They say that "the machine does appear to have a few problems: the fan controller doesn't interface with OSX, so the whole cooling system runs full tilt and is slightly deafening".

Are your hackintosh based on this board loud?

Hi all,

I've seen in this review

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2...s-least-machine

that Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L is used also in a Psystar Open Computer.

They say that "the machine does appear to have a few problems: the fan controller doesn't interface with OSX, so the whole cooling system runs full tilt and is slightly deafening".

Are your hackintosh based on this board loud?

That article is crazy out of date given a few kext installs. My case fan is noted as being loud in al lhe newegg reviews, so I can't blame the OS.. its being replaced (on order).

Ok, one limitation I may have found ... I can't see my iTunes shared library (on my G4 Mac upstairs). The googling I've done suggests this is a LAN chip issue.

I can see the share just fine from my work PC (running iTunes).

I also tried Firefly server and could not see that from the 'hack (but could see it from the PC)

I also downloaded Songbird and install the Daap client.. from that I *was* able to access my music via Firefly Server (running on my G4).

Anyone else with the G31M seeing this problem?

The G31M ES2L has the RTL8111C.. I used osx86tools to install an updated "Realtek RTL811/816BB' driver after my iPC 10.5.6 install.

Networking is the only issue I am having with my build.

I can access a shared disk attached to my Airport Extreme, and browse the net no problem.

I see other machines on my network, but have not been able to connect to this machine from any other machine, or use it to connect to another machine.

All three machines have different versions of the Airport Utility, and the Airport is using old firmware, so I was going to try getting them all updated to the same place and see if that worked.

If that does not work, I can try a couple of USB - ethernet adaptors I have and see if those help. Also I did not installed any special drivers for the onboard ethernet, so could give that a try as well.

EDIT

-----------------------------------------

Without updating any software / firmware or other network settings I am able to connect to other machines if I use an old USB - Wired Ethernet adaptor that I have. (Linksys USB200M version 2.1) The down side is that the adaptor is 10 /100 and the rest of my wired network is 1000 so file transfers are slower than through the built in (if it worked).

Networking is the only issue I am having with my build.

I don;t know if our networking issues are related (mine are iTunes/Bonjour).

I happened to have 2 OLD 10/100 NICs laying around.. I plugged them in and by chance one was recognized and worked right away.

Over this old 10/100 NIC I can see my shared iTunes library right away, so I think the Realtek 8111C is not 100% supported here. I mean most of it works (kind of odd how much DOES work).. but something about it is ticking off the OS.

I tried installing the RTG2MAC Realtek Drivers from http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...own%3Dfalse%237

but that did not yield any improvement.

I think the bonjour / sharing issues are the same.

Sounds like the answer is to find a PCI 10 / 100 / 1000 card that works.

I just found this thread.. and added a post about Bonjour.. I see a few driver versions there.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29436

EDIT: from what I can tell, if there is no solution for the 8111C, this is apparently a very cheap and compatible card (compatible for Bonjour): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180026 .. I think....

I found that the stock apple drivers work perfectly on the ES2L even using an actual apple dvd install.

Zim2Dive - I emailed you in regard to this as well.

Cheers!

I just did a fresh install of iPC 10.5.6. Only tweaks were the verbose and restart fixes. Else vanilla.

Upon reboot could connect to the web, etc, but I could not see the iTunes share via Bonjour for my machine upstairs.

I installed the kext you sent me, cleared caches, rebooted, and I get the same thing.

I also tried sharing the (empty) library on my hack.. my G4 could not see it.

EDIT:

Ok, some progress (and I can't say for sure if I needed the IONetworking kext from OSX86@an43, which wasn't enough by itself, at least not for my install method).

I then installed RealtekR1000_1.8.1.kext.zip

which you can get from the "content" section of jdxxx's user profile: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showuser=21587

I can now see my iTunes share (from my G4).

See if this works for the other folks.

Hi,

I've seen that the online store where I would like to buy all the components only has GA-G31M-S2L, not ES2L. It doesn't look there are great differences between them. The s2l lacks some sort of energy saving feature and has ALC662 instead of ALC883, I've red somewere it's harder to patch, do you know if it's true? should I find an other store and give up S2L?

Tanx