mATX Suggestions, is this setup 'retail' suitable

69 posts in this topic

Having looked around, bar the video card which i havent chosen yet, this setup in my mind should work fine but I thought I would double check....

so, is this setup fine for a boot132+retail disc install?

And has anyone done a guide for this particular mobo, it gets recommended for a cheap setup but i havent seen any guides based around it???

CPU/Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200

MotherBoard Intel S775 Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (All in 1)

Desktop DDR2 Ram 4GB Kit (2x2048MB) PC6400 800MHz

3.5" HDD SATA-300 1TB (1000GB) 32MB Samsung

Anyone see any issues or alternative suggestions that may be an improvement?? other mATX boards, maybe with integrated video that works?

The main limitation is that I want to stay mATX for the size...

Thanks

All good. Just get a Graphics card.

The only Integrated GFX boards that work are 945G - GMA 950, which is slow & doesn't support new CPU's, and the nVidia 9300/9400, which is expensive.

So the Gigabyte G31M you chose is the best.

I use it!

GA-E7AUM-DS2H is a better choice of mobo

Out of curiosity, why is it "better"? What are the weak points of GA-G31M-ES2L?

Also, a GA-G31M-ES2L + a GeForce 7200/8400 (low profile graphics) is much cheaper than the mobo with 9400 integrated. If pricing is a factor, is the GA-E7AUM-DS2H still recommended by you?

Well the GA-E7AUM-DS2H is more expensive, but has more features. As you will check if you read about it.

It supports 16gb RAM, has a 9400M onboard graphics (not crappy Intel), and has Firewire, HDMI...

The Gigabyte G31M-ES2L is a fine motherboard though. Me and my friend are very happy with it! It even overclocks nicely. Nothing wrong with it.

Hi!

This is just the configuration I had in my mind for my new hackintosh: Intel E5200 + Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.

Can you tell me if sleep and shut-down work fine?

I'm realizing only now that the integrated Intel GMA 3100 doesn't work and this could be a problem for my limited budget so I've also found this possible alternative (here integrated graphics should work): Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L. What about it?

Well, Ive purchased all the components for this build thanks to the suggestions from this board...

Motherboard - Gigabyte G31M-ES2L

CPU - Intel E5200 2.5GHz Dual Core

GPU - Gigabyte Nvidia 8400GS

RAM - 4GB(2x2GB) Kinsgston DDR2 800

HDD - 1TB Samsung 7200rpm SATA

DVD - Asus Sata DVD-RW

Case - Gigabyte GZ-M3 (not my first choice but very very limited choice..the only bit im not 100% happy with but seriously...its a case )

All up(in local Aussie $, so divide by about 100 for US$ )

Now i just need some tips on the installation process, hopefully utilising the 10.5.6 Leopard retail disc I have...

see here for my current understanding...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156475

Thanks again

= about $610

Well, Ive purchased all the components for this build thanks to the suggestions from this board...

Motherboard - Gigabyte G31M-ES2L

CPU - Intel E5200 2.5GHz Dual Core

GPU - Gigabyte Nvidia 8400GS

RAM - 4GB(2x2GB) Kinsgston DDR2 800

HDD - 1TB Samsung 7200rpm SATA

DVD - Asus Sata DVD-RW

Case - Gigabyte GZ-M3 (not my first choice but very very limited choice..the only bit im not 100% happy with but seriously...its a case )

All up(in local Aussie $, so divide by about 100 for US$ )

Now i just need some tips on the installation process, hopefully utilising the 10.5.6 Leopard retail disc I have...

see here for my current understanding...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156475

Thanks again

= about $610

$610 is a lot for that build! ;)

$610 is a lot for that build! :wacko:

It's Aus $ not US $

This is just the configuration I had in my mind for my new hackintosh: Intel E5200 + Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.

Can you tell me if sleep and shut-down work fine?

Sleep works. Shutdown/restart works with Openhaltrestart.kext perfectly.
I'm realizing only now that the integrated Intel GMA 3100 doesn't work and this could be a problem for my limited budget so I've also found this possible alternative (here integrated graphics should work): Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L. What about it?
In my opinion, it's worth it, even though GMA 3100 doesn't work. You get a lot more features with the G31M-S2L compared to the GA-945GCM-S2L: Support for Quad Core and 45nm chips,up to 4gb RAM, and great overclocking features. Video cards can be picked up for cheap.

Anyway, both work, yeah.

Looks like an interesting mobo.. I figure with the spare HDs I have at the house and minor use of live.com 8% cashback, I can put together a system for ~$350.

Looking at the mobo:

Ethernet is RTL8111C .. it looks like we can use : http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...GetDown=false#7

I have an nvidia 8400GS I can use for video

Prolly pick up an E8400 for processor

2x1G of RAM

Plan is to use for linux, and if I happen to be able to do OSX too, that's a massive bonus.

If installing with iPC 10.5.6 we can choose:

- Intel ICH* Driver for chipset?

- do I care which kernel? (I *had* to use voodoo for AMD, so I didn't need to think about it)

- ALC 883 for Audio

Or is it better/possible to try a vanilla approach? (again, with my previous AMD mobo, some options weren't open to me so I don't fully grasp them yet)

Looking forward to the experiment (just sold my AMD mobo, was far too much hassle)

EDIT: link to an install thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156172

Sleep works. Shutdown/restart works with Openhaltrestart.kext perfectly.

In my opinion, it's worth it, even though GMA 3100 doesn't work. You get a lot more features with the G31M-S2L compared to the GA-945GCM-S2L: Support for Quad Core and 45nm chips,up to 4gb RAM, and great overclocking features. Video cards can be picked up for cheap.

Anyway, both work, yeah.

Thanks for replying.

I've checked at Gigabyte web site and the GA-945GCM-S2L should work with E5200 (even if it's a 45nm), however DDR support it's a bit on the slow side (667MHz) and I'm thinking to go for GA-G31M-S2L. Maybe with a cheap video card like nVidia 7200/7300/8400 gs I can respect my budget...

Do you know any cheap and natively supported GFX?

Another question: when choosing a video card (e.g. nVidia 8400 gs) , does the card producer (Gigabyte, Zotac, nVidia itself, etc.) care or should I look only at the chip producer (nVidia)?

well, tried to make some progress with the retail image but that failed early...

got the iPC X-DL iso and low and behold, I have a working mac....

with the pieces I put together it was ridiculously easy, with the addition of the helpful guide by jdratlif(

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156172) with the leopard kit he had put together, which had everything i needed for the sound(on board) and 8400GS graphics(same as what he had used)......

Updated itunes/security etc without issue.....

Thanks to the helpful tips on here, and jdratlif for his leopard kit

well, tried to make some progress with the retail image but that failed early...

got the iPC X-DL iso and low and behold, I have a working mac....

with the pieces I put together it was ridiculously easy, with the addition of the helpful guide by jdratlif(

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156172) with the leopard kit he had put together, which had everything i needed for the sound(on board) and 8400GS graphics(same as what he had used)......

Updated itunes/security etc without issue.....

Thanks to the helpful tips on here, and jdratlif for his leopard kit

Did you follow the guide, or did you just use the guide to know which options/drivers to pick in iPC?

Here's my build.. ordered everything today (US$).

total 290.16

ga-g31m-es2l $51 buy.com after $4 cashback

E8400 3.0GHz C2D $153 dell on sale from $184

Super Talent 2x1G $19 newegg after $10 rebate

Apex DM318 case $44.16 Buy.com after $4 cashback

LiteOn DVDRW/DL $23 newegg

re-use nvidia 8400GS $0 newegg rebate

re-use 500G 7200rpm IDE HD $0

looks like it'll be 1-2 weeks before everything arrives.

Did you follow the guide, or did you just use the guide to know which options/drivers to pick in iPC?

Installed iPC X-DL, then followed the guide for the 2nd half, installing the correct bits and pieces for the board etc...

during the iPC install I never had any options about what to install/what not to install, so maybe i chose the default install from the start... just did the '-f' option i think and it installed os in about 20 mins or so...

Installed iPC X-DL, then followed the guide for the 2nd half, installing the correct bits and pieces for the board etc...

during the iPC install I never had any options about what to install/what not to install, so maybe i chose the default install from the start... just did the '-f' option i think and it installed os in about 20 mins or so...

Ah.. I wonder how much you could have gotten from the "Customize" menu... 2nd or 3rd page of the installer... see the large pick-list here: http://######.com/ipcosx86/?page_id=201

Hi all,

I have almost this same set up (MB, CPU, HD, 8400GS). I only differ on RAM brand and DVD brand (SATA). I also have a purchased retail 10.5.6 DVD.

I got a copy of the modified boot-132 and was able to install everything fine. However, when I boot up with the boot132 CD and then select the HD to boot from (80, in my case) instead of the DVD the screen will start up with the nice big Apple in the center but after it finishes displaying that it goes to a blank/black screen instead of to the blue screen with the desktop starts coming up. I can hear the hard drive still being accessed and also see the access light.

I've installed it twice, even reformatting and partitioning the drive, but I can't get past that.

I'd love to stay as vanilla as I can but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what's wrong. I thought this was a very compatible setup.

Do you have any pointers? Thanks greatly.

-- Jeff

Hi all,

Just a brief update. It's working now. Yippee!!

I used the boot132 disk to get back to the Leopard install disk. Once I got there I was able to bring up the terminal. I ran the post-install.sh file and now she works just great and comes up like a beauty.

Thanks for all for this thread. Now, if I can just determine the settings for best overclocking this E5200 on this MB I'll be golden. The kids will be excited to have a computer to play on.

-- Jeff

Hi all,

Just a brief update. It's working now. Yippee!!

I used the boot132 disk to get back to the Leopard install disk. Once I got there I was able to bring up the terminal. I ran the post-install.sh file and now she works just great and comes up like a beauty.

Thanks for all for this thread. Now, if I can just determine the settings for best overclocking this E5200 on this MB I'll be golden. The kids will be excited to have a computer to play on.

-- Jeff

Hi focusfreedom,

can you list the kexts you have added/replaced/removed to get it working?

I would like to mod osx as little as possible and need to know if this is the right configuration for such an install.

Thanks

PS what about sleep (it's be very important for me)?