OSX D430

36 posts in this topic

I have finally got my pcmcia working, Still not got sleep/wake from hibernate working yet :-/

Basically I used the second most recent IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily from Chun-nan's Post.

More details on my site here along with the kext downloads from my server:-

http://www.darkspace.org.uk/drupal/?q=node/92

Is there somebody how can help me with how to install the KEXT GMA 950 VGA driver

Is there somebody how can help me with how to install the KEXT GMA 950 VGA driver

Yes. Do this in a terminal window

$ sudo su
$ cp XXXX.kext /System/Library/Extensions/.
$ chown -R root /System/Library/Extensions/XXXX.kext
$ chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/XXXX.kext
$ rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then reboot.

If everything goes wrong, then reboot using your install DVD and remove the new XXXX.kext folder you added and the .mkext file then reboot.

I find it handy to make a tar containing the entire Extensions folder when I'm planning to mess with kexts.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I followed this topic's instructions to install 10.5.2 on my D430, it worked pretty well except the USB ports. I can't get my usb keys to work on the laptop and I therefore can't install the ethernet audio drivers. Do you think I should to the install process all over again ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@sketchy 9

none really and it seems like i'm late to the party too =(

i just inherited a D430 and was wondering how well tiger works. i dont care if it's an outdated OS. i just need it for OSX on the go. OP said that it worked but there were no artifacts and I was wondering about what he meant by that?

• 3 weeks later...

Dell inspiron D430 retail 10.5.8 insalled retail leopard 100% working amazing

Fisrt sorry for my englis i am argentinean and my english is bad

This is the best way to install OSX in dell D430. i testeed and works amazing

Original post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=178411

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from BOOT-132-D620.iso cd image. No flags required.

- At F8 prompt, press F8.

- At the next prompt (displays "BOOT-132-D620v2.iso), hit escape.

- Insert OS X 10.5.6 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit ENTER. You may have to retry F8 then Esc a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

2. Follow installation prompts to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. **** Suggestion **** At customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default) and only select the printer drivers you will use. This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster. *** At installation completion, OS X will say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert BOOT-132-D620v2 boot CD and Reboot. Press F8 at the F8 prompt, then hit Escape and enter 81 (or the HD number you installed on).

10.5.6 post installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after boot up, do the following:

1. Open the post_install folder on the boot CD.

2. Install the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg using all of the defaults. This is the easiest way.

3. Open terminal and copy and paste the following command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Volumes/BOOT-132-D620v2/post_install/Extra/56/post_install_1056

4. When the job completes, reboot.

10.5.7 update (recommended)

1. Open terminal and copy and paste this command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Extra/57/1057_update

2. Download and install 10.5.7 delta or 10.5.7 combo update (10.5.7 update only)

3. When the when 10.5.7 completes, reboot

Prior to 10.5.8 update (see notes below)

1. Open terminal and copy and paste this command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Extra/58/1058_update

2. Download and install 10.5.8 delta or 10.5.8 combo update

3. When the 10.5.8 update completes, reboot

::::::::: Files

* Chameleon ISO loader -> http://share.longhorn.dk/get.php?id=238

• 2 months later...
I have officially switched back to 10.5.2. 10.5.6, as stated in my original post changed the way PCMCIA is supported. I know there is ongoing work by people much smarter than me in trying to get it to work reliably, but I need my Mobile Broadband card. Plus 10.5.2 on the D430 supports the GMA 950 better. I will explain the install process.

Go into your BIOS and disable multi core support. You will re-enable this later and have dual core support!

Kalyway 10.5.2 Install on GUID partition.

Once you select your disk for install, select customize, and you will select the following leaving the defaults in place:

1. Unselect Additional Fonts and Languages unless you need the foreign languages installed.

2. Select your kernel. Both the sleep and speedstep 9.2 kernel work fine. I use the vanilla kernel.

3. Select GMA 950 under Graphics Drivers

4. I select all of the Third Party Apps

5. Unselect PCGenUSB_Fix and Francais_pc_keyboard_layout

6. Select TimeMachineFix and PowerManagement_bundle

I leave the rest of the defaults selected and wait about 25 minutes for the install to finish.

After a reboot you will see the OS X welcome video screen and then you will step through the rest of the install.

Once you get to the OS X desktop you now have a mostly complete install on the D430.

Now lets finish the install!

At this point you have accelerated graphics QE/CI enabled, but you will have artifacts when using certain memory intensive applications (MS Office, CS 4, etc.). I found this very annoying. If you can live with the artifacts from time to time then enjoy. Otherwise load the attached GMA 950 drivers. You will still have accelerated graphics, but you will loose things like menu bar transparency and widget splash effects. Under system profiler it will say software accelerated, but it is definitely using hardware support. With these drivers all the artifacts go away. Very Cool!

Next you will want to get your ethernet working. Load the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext using KextHelper. Reboot. Go into Networking preferences, and a new Ethernet interface pops up. Select it, apply the changes. Done!

Next, you will want Sound support. Load the Dell Post Installer Utility and Select Sigmatel 9200 under the sound category. You can also select the 10.5.2 Dual Core kernel and when it is done installing, Reboot. Go back into your BIOS and enable multi-core support. Save changes. You should boot to your OS X Desktop with Sound and Dual Core support. Done.

Next, you will want PC Card Support. Load the attached IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext with KextHelper. Reboot. Done.

Lastly, Run the USB 1.3 Fix that is attached. Reboot. Done.

At this point you now have a perfect install of 10.5.2 on your D430. The only feature at this point that does not work under any version of OS X is wake from sleep. It will go to sleep fine, just not wake up. I can live without sleep on the D430.

I haven't done anything with the SD card slot, because I don't need it. There is an experimental driver in the Dell Laptop Post Installer, but I have not tried it.

You can go into Software Updates, and load all updates except the 10.5.6 update. I disable automatic updates and set it to manual under system preferences.

I think the D430 is the perfect Hackintosh Sub-Notebook. Just under 3 pounds and NOT a NetBook with the crappy ATOM processor.

A big Thank you to the Hackintosh Community for all of the various drivers and builds to get me to this point. All I have done, is captured their great work and tested it on a D430.

Enjoy!

Dell Laptop Post Installer - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97966

USB Fix 1.3 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95789

Hi

I have tried your instruction for D430 with the attached Kexts. The ethernet does not show up after reboot. What do you think I should do next?

Thank you

• 1 month later...
Hi

I have tried your instruction for D430 with the attached Kexts. The ethernet does not show up after reboot. What do you think I should do next?

Thank you

I have the same problem. Nothing I do helps, just cant seem to get the network working at all?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just testing the water here. I have an almost perfectly working hackingtosh on the Dell D430. Accelerated graphics, sound (no clipping) keyboard and mouse(scrolling would be nice), sleep working, speed step and bluetooth working, battery monitor(semi working - always reads connected to power supply but displays battery level and percentage), also have memory card reader working with a beta driver. successfully running on leopard 10.5.8. I'll check back in a little while since i'm busy with finals :( but after i'll post a tutorial. ;) just wanna say that i still have artifacts but i prefer 10.5.8

also i'm just wondering if anyone has found a fix for the display not waking up when the system is booted.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I installed XxX 10.5.6 - pretty much as its what I could lay my hands on, couldnt find a good enough link for the 10.5.2 that was mentioned.

Anyway, where is the graphics driver selection that everyone is talking about? I've tried doing the screen sleep trick but only works when I plug an external display in (even if I boot the machine without it) which sucks, even tried lowering the display timeout for 1min shutting down, removing the external display and then booting trying the 'x' option all I get on the internal display is a flash of blue then all goes black no matter how long i wait or what keys i hit after waiting.

thanks,

dan