Quicktime 7.6 Is Out

antsh

90 posts in this topic

I hope you guys realize that flashing macroms onto PC cards is stupid and pointless, right? A real mac gfx card wont work in a regular pc without the real mac's bootloader components for efi stuff, so how would the macrom in a non-efi environment make a difference? And no, just because you have PC_EFI or Chameleon installed, or boot-132, doesn't mean it will work, since you still have legacy BIOS on the system.

Stuttering playback and mouse lag after installing Quicktime 7.6. The efi-x guys are telling people that this is an apple issue and to wait for a fix from them. Seems to be affecting 8800 cards with g80 & g92 chipset. Suppose we'll have to wait for Apple to fix this.

A Mac card works on PC, simply because it still has the legacy part (specially for bootcamp/windows)/

And guess what ? It fixes the lag too. So no, it's not STUPID or POINTLESS. But stating facts that are wrong IS stupid and pointless.

I hope you guys realize that flashing macroms onto PC cards is stupid and pointless, right? A real mac gfx card wont work in a regular pc without the real mac's bootloader components for efi stuff, so how would the macrom in a non-efi environment make a difference? And no, just because you have PC_EFI or Chameleon installed, or boot-132, doesn't mean it will work, since you still have legacy BIOS on the system.

A Mac card works on PC, simply because it still has the legacy part (specially for bootcamp/windows)/

And guess what ? It fixes the lag too. So no, it's not STUPID or POINTLESS. But stating facts that are wrong IS stupid and pointless.

You're not actually changing anything, though. A real Mac card will not work in a regular, non-Apple machine, because of the EFI bits. The only reason Windows works on an Apple machine with those cards is because of the bootcamp bootloader working with the EFI bits of the card to work properly.

When you flash the Mac card ROM to the PC card, you are not changing VEY LITTLE. The ROM's are virtually the same. The legacy bits are present on both type of cards. These are facts, so please, before you start running off your mouth.

The ROM's may have extra parts for stuff like fan control, whatever else, but that's about it. IT MAY FIX THE LAG, but the facts are as I stated, and the fix may come from these extra bits. It's like when you add that registry setting to enable the NV Overclocking utility under Windows, which changes settings in the ROM to alter speeds.

Yes, I realise that. But you should realise that a MAC CARD WORKS on a PC, this is a FACT. But I was answering to "it's pointless, don't do this"... Well no, it's not pointless flashing your card, because it actually fixes the problem and I'm glad I did this.

Load a real mac 8800GT into your PC and watch it not boot the card.

As I said, there's no real point in flashing the Mac ROM because there are reports floating around of this glitch now affecting real Mac users. It's not a hardware solution, you just got lucky. The issue is in software between the framebuffers (hence the LAG) and the updated QuickTime software components. Funny how Apple pushes updated framebuffers after reports started coming in, right? Even though they were pulled for reasons unknown, it's still funny how Apple did that. Coincidence? Doubt it.

Flashing the card is not a universal fix and can be pointless in some or most cases, and has a much higher risk of damaging the cards. It's highly recommended to either temporarily rollback or wait for an update in either the framebuffers or in QT.

Load a real mac 8800GT into your PC and watch it not boot the card.

Ok, what dont you understand when I say "I FLASHED my 8800 GT with the mac 8800 GT rom, and it works fine"... It works fine on my PC, on OSX

and Windows, and it even fixed the lag. So yeah, basically I have a real mac 8800 GT now. It's a known fact that a Mac Pro's card are compatible on PC : 3870 Mac edition works fine on a PC for example, it even says so on ATI web's site. Not only this, but I saw people on insanelymac running the Mac 8800 GT on their hackint0shes too (which is basically running the PC card flashed).

And it doesn't affect real macs, I checked on a mac pro, on a mbp 8600M GT, and it works fine, so stop spreading {censored}.

But I guess you are stubborn, so I'm done with this topic. Believe what you want, really I don't care.

Ok, what dont you understand when I say "I FLASHED my 8800 GT with the mac 8800 GT rom, and it works fine"... It works fine on my PC, on OSX

and Windows, and it even fixed the lag. So yeah, basically I have a real mac 8800 GT now. It's a known fact that a Mac Pro's card are compatible on PC : 3870 Mac edition works fine on a PC for example, it even says so on ATI web's site. Not only this, but I saw people on insanelymac running the Mac 8800 GT on their hackint0shes too (which is basically running the PC card flashed).

And it doesn't affect real macs, I checked on a mac pro, on a mbp 8600M GT, and it works fine, so stop spreading {censored}.

But I guess you are stubborn, so I'm done with this topic. Believe what you want, really I don't care.

That doesn't make it a real Mac 8800GT, because it's missing the EFI bits. IT'S A 128K chip on the mac card, the PC version is only 64K! You're only taking the legacy PC part off of the ROM and flashing that to the PC card, not the EFI bits. The PC ROM parts may have MINOR changes to it for fan control, maybe some changes to the speed, who knows. As I said, you got lucky, and there are still no other major benefits because there are still real mac users who are having this issue as well. Did you miss that part where I posted that? I also said that it's not a major issue, but it's not restricted to just mouse lag either, there's issues with itunes playback and other graphic stuff breaking after updating QT, all on REAL MAC's.

Also, ATI != NVIDIA. ATI cards may work all fine and dandy, but a 8800GT may not which is why NVIDIA takes the time to label them strictly for MAC.

"I saw people on insanelymac running the Mac 8800 GT on their hackint0shes too (which is basically running the PC card flashed)"

Bingo! Only the PC part of the ROM, to get the FULL benefit of it you need the system to be able to read the EFI bits, which a regular PC cant because it's not built like a Mac with Apple's modified EFI stuff. This is the point im making all along.

The issue is also obviously resolvable by software, afterall, these cards were working before the update, and sine there were no hardware mods to most (until you guys started flashing your cards) after the update, it makes sense that there could be a way to avoid having to flash and use a software method. Just wait for Apple to fix it or change GFX cards for the time being (should you have one lying around). The fix may come in even newer framebuffers or an emergency fix for the QT components. Coincidence that despite them being gone now (well, I still have a copy), that Apple shoved out a bunch of NV framebuffers after the QT 7.6 issues? I doubt it.

XFX 8800Gt 512mb, 64K .

Mouse lag started after latest 7.6 QT update (there was no problems with 7.5.5).

Because there was no time to waste, and I work with QT every day, I decided to flash the card with mac 8800GT bios: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148843

I've used 3D.ROM from the post above. Everything wen smoothly and the problem is fixed.

Thanx to the community.

@donkey:

can you please double check you get no lag in your sig machine with quicktime running and you are using:

- quicktime 7.6?

- 10.5.6 nvidia kexts?

- using only laptop's lcd?

If yes could you please test connecting an external display through vga or hdmi (better) and check if you get mouse lag?

Thanks!