Macbook Keyboard and Trackpad Not Working

7 posts in this topic

I bought a White 13" Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz about 2 months ago and just the other night I was doing some stuff on iMovie and the battery was down to about 5%. I turned it off and then plugged in the power adapter. When I turned it back on about 15 minutes later, it booted up fine and went to the login screen. I tried to type in my password and then realized that the trackpad cursor was stuck in the top left corner and the keyboard was not working at all (the green caps lock light won't come on when I press it either).

I've tried shutting the lid and reopening it as I've heard that's helped others, but no luck with that. I also turned it off with the power button and then turned it back on, but it was still the same way. I also tried resetting the PRAM two or three times, but no dice with that either.

I tried plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard but they didn't work. Not sure if maybe that was just because they are Dell devices and aren't compatible with my macbook or if it's actually a problem with the macbook.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get this thing working again.

I bought a White 13" Macbook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz about 2 months ago and just the other night I was doing some stuff on iMovie and the battery was down to about 5%. I turned it off and then plugged in the power adapter. When I turned it back on about 15 minutes later, it booted up fine and went to the login screen. I tried to type in my password and then realized that the trackpad cursor was stuck in the top left corner and the keyboard was not working at all (the green caps lock light won't come on when I press it either).

I've tried shutting the lid and reopening it as I've heard that's helped others, but no luck with that. I also turned it off with the power button and then turned it back on, but it was still the same way. I also tried resetting the PRAM two or three times, but no dice with that either.

I tried plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard but they didn't work. Not sure if maybe that was just because they are Dell devices and aren't compatible with my macbook or if it's actually a problem with the macbook.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get this thing working again.

I just registered when I came across your posting. In the interest of sharing information, i believe that my black macbook that is a little over two years old is doing the exact same thing. I checked a quick email this morning and everything was fine, but when I returned later today I booted it up and none of the buttons on the keyboard as well as the trackpad were working, while the mouse was stuck in the upper left corner. After going back and forth between turning it on and having it freeze again, I did notice a couple of things. One time during this entire charade the keyboard and trackpad worked for approximately 5 minutes before they went back to being unrecognized by the computer. At a certain point a screen I have never seen came up when I turned it on again that said I needed to restart the computer again to get it to work, followed by instructions in several languages. After this, the only way I could get it to reboot all the way and not just turn on and have a black screen was to have my ipod plugged into the USB. It would do its normal recognition of it and automatically sync podcasts and stuff, but the trackpad and keyboard still did not work. It only worked when I did my ipod and not for my external hard drive or a flash drive plugged into USB. If you have any other thoughts or have already it looked at I would really appreciate it. Repost or sendme a PM. Thanks.

These problems are weird. I think it's because of some software thing. If you could use your trackpad. You should totally have a backup and re-install your from your DVD that has been given with your macbook.

But you could still use this link maybe it will work for you:

Trackpad Solution for MacBook And Macbook PRO

I have the same problem with my old core duo (black) macbook. Tried to wake it after sleep but that did't work and now neither the keyboard or trackpad are responding. I've tried everything from reinstalls, smc resetting to folded pieces of paper under the battery. Still not working. I have read alot of posts about this in the apple support forum, but no one seems to have a good fix. It seems that it always ends up with them sending their computers in for repair....

But they don't do anything different than us, they just change your top case which is under the keyboard and trackpad and get your 110 Dollar. I'm sorry we paid alot to use mac so we cannot spend 110 dollars for a stupid case. In a fact I would rather put a paper under the upper case, it's way cheaper.

• 2 months later...

Same things happened to my core duo blackbook.

Track pad and keyboard don't work, USB mouse and keyboard don't work.

This sucks! This could not have happened at a worse time, so much work to do and can't afford a new computer.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrk!!!!

• 7 months later...