Studio XPS 13

digital8

222 posts in this topic

Just use the PS/2 support on the iPC cd. I used it and my keyboard works fine. Don't pay attention to the OS telling you it can't recognize anything.... it's just being dumb :)

I'm looking into the new Nvidia kexts on apple now, but idk if i can actually work it...

So what did you mean when you wrote "did anyone tried to install the new nvidia driver???"? Which drivers?

I looked at the new PPF3 version of XxX and it has an NVidiaExtended package but the kexts inside are still just version 5.3.6.

I also manually loaded the geforce kext but it didn't magically fix anything.

is OSX loading the geforce.kext on ur machine?

is OSX loading the geforce.kext on ur machine?
Not automatically, but like I said, yes it does when I manually load it. Not that it seems to fix anything.

I just checked out a couple macbooks running 10.5.6 and they had versions 5.3.6 for the geforce module and 5.3.8 for the nv50hal and nvdaresman modules.

I'm still wondering if the 5.3.6 versions of nv50hal/nvdaresman fully support the 9400m or whether newer versions are required.

mhh yeah is a bit strange ..can u tell me where the difference is between the EFI string and this driver???

btw i found a HOW TO for IDT audio cards but atm it doesnt work for me...has anyone else tried this how to??

Strange that there are multiple versions of the kexts? It looks like there were simply some updates done to the driver since initial 10.5.6 release, but that any of them should be working if we got the EFI information to be emulated correctly.

This is the best info I've found so far regarding editing the EFI string vs using a kext:

"The real advantage is slightly quicker boot up as your card details are added directly, 1 less kext to worry about. With 10.5.5 beta kexts, NVInject does not work whereas GFX strings do. It will not make games faster though as all it does is provide information about your card to the OS, it is not a driver. ". This from http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=509&page=2

It's not even clear to me whether nvinject is supposed to work at all in 10.5.6. For my other system nvinject worked OK in 10.5.3 but not after upgrading to 10.5.5.

I've seen that howto and I tried the IDTAudio package from XxX ppf3, but I just get an error from the hdaenabler kext upon boot now. Haven't yet dug into that thread to see how to fix it, but users there have reported sucess with the exact same IDT chip as what the studio xps 13 has...

me again...

...i need a bit help with understanding the @geforce.kext/content/info.plist

can anyone tell me if i have to change this part :

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff</string>

and do anyone have a clue how to open a .plugin file?

<key>IOCFPlugInTypes</key>

<dict>

<key>ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e</key>

<string>GeForceGA.plugin</string>

</dict>

Info.plist.txt

...i need a bit help with understanding the @geforce.kext/content/info.plist

can anyone tell me if i have to change this part :

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff</string>

That's a wildcard match so it'll match all nvidia cards.

The problem with this kext failing to autoload was because /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAresman.kext/Contents/Info.plist is missing the PCI id for the 9400m. You can add:

0x086010de&0xffe0ffff to the string there and the geforce kext will now autoload like on a real macbook.

I don't know why this PCI id wasn't there already, I guess the XxX distro hacked that plist manually.

But, this still doesn't seem to fix anything with respect to quartz extreme.

Do i have to delete the EFI string if i use this solution?

unfortunately it doesnt work =(

my dev id = 0x0866

my parameter for NVDANResman is

<string>0x086610de 0x086010de&0000ffff 0x086610de&0xffe0ffff 0x086010de&0xffe0ffff 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de </string>

my parameter for NVDANV50Hal is

<string>

0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff

0x019010de&0xfff0ffff

0x040010de&0xfff0ffff

0x042010de&0xfff0ffff

0x06e010de&0xfff0ffff

0x060010de&0xffe0ffff

0x062010de&0xffe0ffff

0x064010de&0xffe0ffff

0x086010de&0xffe0ffff

0x086610de&0xffe0ffff

</string>

Yes, you still need the EFI string.

Are you sure your nvdaresman change is not working? My GeForce kext only stays loaded for about 2 minutes after boot. I assume kextd is auto-unloading it due to lack of use. I think you're on the right track in wondering why that GeForceGA plugin is failing to load.

Your XML string looks OK except you added an extra space at the end, but I don't think that matters.

bcc9 does this mean that the error messages "IGPU : ...FAILED.." doesnt matter? because the geforce driver loading after login into OSX?

Japandler how did u get the audio working? ...can u pls upload a zip file of ur modded driver?

Japandler, thats great news you got Audio working, please let us know how you did it. As for wifi it might be easier to just replace that wifi module with a supported one (i swapped out for the gigabyte module, works oob). I am glad this thread is getting some good activity now, we should be close to getting QE working.

bcc9 does this mean that the error messages "IGPU : ...FAILED.." doesnt matter? because the geforce driver loading after login into OSX?
Do you just mean the "family specific matching fails" messages? That's the only error-like message I've seen, I haven't seen one of the form "IGPU: ... FAILED..", have you?

I actually loaded up a bunch more graphics EFI strings onto my system that I cribbed from ioreg output from a real macbook. I no longer see that error message. I think the family match error went away when I added the actual NVCAP entry from a macbook.

I've added other promising entries such as NVDA,gart-width, NVDA,Features, but still no working QE/CI.

I sure wish someone with experience trying to get QE to work with shard nvidia cards would chime in. The "qe/ci on shared nvidia cards project" thread is MIA.

If it's as easy as figuring out the necessary&complete set of EFI strings to gather from ioreg output than I'm real close. The most suspicious remaining entry that I haven't sorted out is the IODeviceMemory entry under IGPU@0. On the macbok's ioreg output, there are 4 address blocks listed, and on my machine there are just 3. The 3 listed on my machine exactly match what lspci -v reports under linux so I'm thinking I've got the 3 important memory regions (16MB, 256MB, and 32MB regions).

I haen't tried to add all the AAPL00 entries but I don't know what those are for.

Anyone have some QE hints?

I am certain that the WIFI card is supported, as I will be ordering that same one for my XPS M1530 (mine has an intel one that doesnt work with OSx86) The video card should work, and unless they changed the bluetooth card, that should work as well.

That looks to be a pretty solid setup to me.

Oh and you might find this helpful if you do decide to get one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83039

Marko

EDIT: Hmmm... actually I'm ordering a 1505, not a 1515. Regardless, I believe all of Dell's wireless cards are broadcom chipset, so you shouldn't have any issues

can u pls upload ur kexts and ur mac EFI key will be great as well ...or a descripton how to take it from a MBP17
There is no sense in me uploading any kexts. Like I said, I'm just using a vanialla XxX setup (not even PPF3), with just 1 change to the kext, which I've also already detailed. Precise context diffs for that change are attached.

I've also attached my current EFI plist, but I'm only focused on 9400m. Macbook pro is 9600M and xps 13 is 9400m or 9500m. YMMV if you have a 9500m system.

Also in my plist I've hacked the PCI device-id and subsystem vendor-id to match the macbook. Those changes may cause more trouble if you've hacked your kexts to match the Dell's PCI ids. Since I'm using a general wildcard match things seem ok, but again, the change didn't seem to fix anything.

How can i be sure that my 9400M use the right driver?
Eh? Compare your kexts with a macbook. That's why we got that kextstat info the other day.

diffs.txt

plist.zip

Macbook pro is 9600M and xps 13 is 9400m or 9500m. YMMV if you have a 9500m system.

Not sure what try to say with this sentences?? a MPB use a 9400M AND a 9600 but mainly he 9400

Eh? Compare your kexts with a macbook. That's why we got that kextstat info the other day.

mhh i'm a nub with OS X but i think if a kexts is loaded means not that a device use this one?!

btw i'm not sure where ur plist exactly comes from?

The most suspicious remaining entry that I haven't sorted out is the IODeviceMemory entry under IGPU@0. On the macbok's ioreg output, there are 4 address blocks listed, and on my machine there are just 3. The 3 listed on my machine exactly match what lspci -v reports under linux so I'm thinking I've got the 3 important memory regions (16MB, 256MB, and 32MB regions).

So the 4th missing memory region is the I/O ports. Under linux with lspci this shows up as " I/O ports at 4000 " for the 9400m device, and under:" I/O behind bridge: 00004000-00004fff" for the PCI express bridge".

Under OSX, with the xps, this memory region is missing from both the 9400m and the bridge.

On a macbook, this memory region shows up under both the IGPU and the bridge. For the bridge, it shows up as "Bridge Memory Ranges".

How do I get the bridge to pick up this memory region correctly?

Not sure what try to say with this sentences?? a MPB use a 9400M AND a 9600 but mainly he 9400

The point is, between the xps 13 with 9400m, xps 13 with 9500m, and macbook pro with 9600m there are 3 different GPU configs. I would not assume plist entries such as NVCAP are the same across all 3.

The common ground between macbooks and xps models are the 9400m models so I'm focused on that. Thus the NVCAP entry I'm using is for the 9400m. If you use what I wrote on a different gpu, well then YMMV.

mhh i'm a nub with OS X but i think if a kexts is loaded means not that a device use this one?!

btw i'm not sure where ur plist exactly comes from?

I wrote that plist based upon information from various forum sources, apple developer sources, and especially ioreg output from a macbook, http://apcprojects.com/system-profiler.pdf

Is the batterymanagment working on anyones machine?

BTW : JAPANDLER PLLLSSS explain us how u got the audio working?

---------

@bbc9

I think my graficcard isnt working very well look at this boxee.log part

23:13:16 T:2686416672 M:3420487680 INFO: GL_VENDOR = Apple Computer, Inc.

23:13:16 T:2686416672 M:3420499968 INFO: GL_RENDERER = Apple Software Renderer

23:13:16 T:2686416672 M:3420499968 INFO: GL_VERSION = 2.1 APPLE

It uses the software renderer not a hardware version =(

Ok, I was a bit wrong about the 4th missing video memory region. The IO memory is being initialized just fine, the missing memory is something else.

It looks to me like it's the memory mapped expansion rom data, sized at 128K.

So it look like the dell's PCI config space is a bit broken and this memory block is simply missing from the config. Under vista, this memory shows up just fine with the nvidia driver, at address 0xa0000. I bet nvidia hardcoded it into their driver.

Would lack of this memory map be what is making the geforce kext fail? If so, what's the easiest way to force this to be mapped?

Is the batterymanagment working on anyones machine?

BTW : JAPANDLER PLLLSSS explain us how u got the audio working?

---------

@bbc9

I think my graficcard isnt working very well look at this boxee.log part

23:13:16 T:2686416672 M:3420487680 INFO: GL_VENDOR = Apple Computer, Inc.

23:13:16 T:2686416672 M:3420499968 INFO: GL_RENDERER = Apple Software Renderer

23:13:16 T:2686416672 M:3420499968 INFO: GL_VERSION = 2.1 APPLE

It uses the software renderer not a hardware version =(

Yeah battery management is not working. I tried a couple different packages to try and get it working but nothing so far.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been very active.... Mid-Term exams are no bueno :(

Anywho, so here's the scoop: I got audio working, for one boot. That's it. No idea WHAT happened to it after that, but I get it working PERFECTLY (playing music off my iPod and everything) and then I switch over to Vista to gloat and sure enough, poof, it's gone. I'm working on getting it re-done and maybe figure out a kext that'll stay permanently.

BTW, idk if anyone's tried it, but apparently orangeware has come up with some wireless networking thing that claims to associate itself with "all atheros" drivers for mac osx. I haven't had time to delve into it, but I figured it was a potential.

Hope I can write back here with Great Success soon! I'll be working on this all day tomorrow.

Alright, btw, I don't know if anyone's stumbled upon this, but I keep getting MadWIFI when I look up Atheros drivers for the mac.

Sadly, i'm not smart, or as free of time, as most of you guys, so I hope that one of you can help out with this one...

I'll let you know if it's idiot-proof and I figure something out.