HowTo: Dell Dimension 4600 iDeneb OS X 10.5.5 Perfect Install

DivisionByZero

36 posts in this topic

Great to see some folks with success getting their Dell Dim 4600 up and running. I had success using the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk and installing with no additional selections from the "Customize" option during install.

Only issues I had was updating to 10.5.6. I first used the Kalyway Updat 10.5.3 and then went to the 10.5.4 via the apple update, not the Combo Update. After that I then went to 10.5.5 using the Sleep 1 command in terminal and also did same for 10.5.6.

When I went to 10.5.6 I lost my PS2 mouse and keyboard. I hooked up an old usb mouse and installed the PS2 kext files found on this site(ApplePS2kexts_10.5.6) using OSX86 Tools. Worked like a charm.

Had a few kernel panics, not sure what they were related to, but I ended up installing the Voodoo kernel and it is much more stable. I did have more kernel panics when I was mounting a dmg package so I then installed a seatbelt.kext, again using OSX86 Tools. Great, able to mount dmg so I can install a few programs.

The Ethernet works most of the time. I have tried the Intel8255x kext but that did not work. I then found a IONetworkingFamily.kext and that worked. I do still have a few connection issues once in awhile. I simply restart and it is fine after that again until the next restart.

I have an older Radeon 7500 video card in mine and the best resolution I can get to work is the basic 1024x768. I know it can handle better than that. When I change the resolution in osx86tools I get black screen when I try to restart.

Sleep does not work at all. No screen saver either. I can set it up and change the amount of time for it to come on, but never does.

Last but not least, trying to look at the "About this Mac" just pulls up a blue screen and then reverts back to my desktop.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and iDeneb 10.5.5

My computer has Intel Pentium 4 and 2.80 GHz Processor Speed.

I made a partition on a 160 GB HD and I am trying to install it, but I get stuck when EST. Time is 27 min. need help please!!! ;)

I don't know what to select under customize, since this is my first time.

Thanks! :D

• 8 months later...

I have a Dimension 4600, 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD

I'm trying to install iDeneb 1.3 and I keep getting "EBIOS read error: Error 0x04"

and "Error parsing plist fileLoading Darwin/x86"

It doesn't look like anyone else on here has gotten these errors. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is far and away the easiest OSX86 install I have ever done. Everything worked the 1st time. I thought the sound was a no-go, but plugging the speakers in the black headphone jack did the trick.

I used: iAtkos v7 all defaults except VoodooHDA, and I checked Intel Sata/Ide, and the Intel Pro VE 100 network card. (updated to 10.5.8) used Nvkush, and installed the AppleAC97audio.kext with kexthelper.

Shocked how this thing (2.6Ghz P4, 512Mb RAM) trounces my Mac Mini (1.83Ghz Core Duo 2Gb RAM).... and the mini uses a 7200rpm sata drive NOT the stock 5200rpm unit it shipped with...

• 3 months later...
In response to the 1st post by DivisionByZero

On a Dell Dimension 4600 - using the on-board Intel video card (82865) I used:

• iDeneb 10.5.6 distribution
    • Audio: AC97Audio
    • ChipSet: ICHx Fixed
    • Kernel: 9.5 Voodoo
    • Network: Intel100ProVE
    • Video: {nothing selected}
    • iDeneb Applications: All

Then I followed up with your manual procedures to get networking operational

I did not do the updates for the kernel (because the distro had the 10.5.6)

So far all seems quite good!!

Thanks for the guide

Well - I just got an error

Took a picture of the screen now just trying to get Voodoo Kernel Dev-Team Address to ship it to.

I am using this method, so what was the error and how was it caused?

• 5 years later...

I'm very pleased to say most of this Dull Dementia 4600 is working fantastic after carefully reading and re reading  this very fine guide. :thumbsup_anim: The on board Audio (of which I didn't know I had until I read this guide and pulled the black cover :blush: ) is working but like other forum members, I have to use the Black jack instead of green. My IDE CD ROM and RW are recognized in Windows 7 but prompt for a CD to be inserted even though there is one and the iDeneb V1.3 10.5.5 would not boot from BIOS as well even though hard drives work fine on that IDE Port. Installing a SATA drive resulted in an immediate boot of the installation DVD.  Not using 9.4.0 StageXNU (Intel/AMD/SSE2/SSE3) was a total disaster ( perpetual rapid reboot cycle at initial boot after POST)until I read this guide again and figured out how to locate and enable the 9.4.0 Kernel. This was later on after I suspected my hard drive was not configured properly so Google and finding out how to use the utility during install was done on my third attempt to get around the reboot saga. Later on I will reconnect the two CD ROM/RW drives and see if they are usable in this box and if not SATA will have to be my option. Right now my Ethernet is not working so this procedure will have to be followed except on a different computer because as long as the ethernet isn't working the download isn't possible.  

"When u get to the desktop, download this kext

zip.gif  dimension4600_ethernet_fix.zip   268.28KB   933 downloads
Drag the AppleIntel8255x.kext inside to the following folder: /System/Library/Extensions/"

Ethernet: Intel PRO 10/100 VE

The only other variation of what DivisionByZero has in his Dell is Video (" nVidia GeForce FX5200 (if you have Intel 82865G I dunno how to make it work") and mine is an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440 with AGP8X. Nvidia lists it is a 64 MB but Apple sees it as 128 MB and I have it configured as 64MB in the BIOS thinking this was possibly my chronic reboot.

Otherwise, as for this mystery MB video card it is working very well as options for this in between AGP card are limited. By in between it is different than my older AGP in my Pentium 3 laying off to the side and my desktop PC with the latest and the last? of the AGP cards from 2004.

The audio card is a Soundblaster card that was probably in this Dell from new but I yanked it thinking this was also a culprit for the reboot saga. Windows 7 couldn't install all the drivers for the COM port so perhaps I will stick it back in and see what happens.

As for the iDeneb V1.3 10.5.5, it was difficult too find after it was suggested by paulllyyy and another forum member on the chat instead of my failed attempt to use Mac OS10X 10.5.6 that was too big for a DVD and wouldn't boot from the USB. I eventually found the iDeneb V1.3 10.5.5 on a file share bit torrent site along with  iDeneb V1.6.1058 Lite Edition that I never got around to using, and yes I continue to seed these torrents and there is alot of activity on all these while seeding. This version of iDeneb has put new life into this old box from 2002/2003  :yes:

Other than my iPhone, this is my "first" Mac