HowTo: Dell Dimension 4600 iDeneb OS X 10.5.5 Perfect Install

DivisionByZero

36 posts in this topic

It couldn't be easier to install on this thing. Most of it works right out of the box!

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz or 2.8 GHz or 3.0 GHz (No SSE3!)

Video: nVidia GeForce FX5200 (if you have Intel 82865G I dunno how to make it work)

Ethernet: Intel PRO 10/100 VE

This is my first tutorial so...yea.

Youll need knowledge about formating/partitioning/dualboot your drive.

============================================================

Boot from the dvd. Do everything you need (partition, format, etc.)...and then click next, next next, next etc. ;)

At the customize screen you must tick these:

Under Audio:

AC97Audio

Under Chipset:

ICHx Fixed

Under Kernel:

9.4.0 StageXNU (Intel/AMD/SSE2/SSE3)

Under Network:

Intel100ProVE

Under Video:

Nvinject 128MB

Note: If you have the Intel 82865G, don't tick this)

And click install and cross your fingers. The install took 30 minutes on my slow dvd drive.

MOVE THE MOUSE EVERY 5 MINUTES!! (to prevent some hard disks from sleeping)

After the install is done, let it reboot, and it will go to the intro video, enjoy it with sound and smooth video. :)

When ur filling out the info, the ethernet wont work so u dont need to set that up.

When u get to the desktop, download this kext

dimension4600_ethernet_fix.zip

Drag the AppleIntel8255x.kext inside to the following folder: /System/Library/Extensions/

Once you have dragged the filed into /System/Library/Extensions/ you will need to Authenticate with your password. (If anything else pops up click ignore, close, etc.)

Open a terminal window & paste the following commands into the terminal (press enter after each line):

sudo chmod -R 755  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext
sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext

Once the kext is successfully loaded clear the kext cache to do this copy and paste the following into a Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then reboot.

After its done, open a Terminal window and enter:

And reboot again.

If you are unable to load the kext using the instructions, try using OSx86 Tools to load the kext. Then clear the kext cache and follow the rest of the instructions.

Then download this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138420 (Voodoo XNU Kernel)

Open the .dmg and run the installer.

Reboot.

Everything works! (even iCal ;) )

!!Remember to Backup!!

So you won't be like :D when u screw it up!

Hey there- nice guide! I recommend that you update to the Voodoo 9.5 kernel (in signature). By far the best, most stable kernel I've used for Leopard- highly recommended for SSE2 users on 10.5.5- just be sure to use the 9.5 system.kext!

I used to have crashes on Toast, Handbrake, Garageband, Transmission, and could never run iCal- now I can rip and burn DVDs, and so far- no app crashes whatsoever. And my Geekbench score went from 1210 to 1298.

Maybe we can combine this thread to be the ultimate Dell 4600 resource!

I have installed Tiger and Leopard from numerous installs:

Jas 10.4.7, 10.4.8 > updated to 10.4.11 - check out my entry in the OSx86 WIKI for details

iAtkos 10.5.1 > 10.5.2

iDeneb 10.5.4 > 10.5.5 (Current install)

Boot-132 method with the Retail DVD - (no go - PM me if you have a working CD!)

iAtkos 5i 10.5.5 (Testing)

iPC 10.5.6 (Testing- works great, but needs graphics fix)

I can always get the Geforce 5200fx to work with full QE/CI. On 10.5.5, I use Nvinject and NVkush for correct S-Video mirroring to my TV. Unfortunately, with 10.5.6 update, you need to replace one of the CoreGraphics Frameworks to solve graphics corruption issues: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=142082&hl=

This is a great system, if a little long in the tooth, for OSx86-

I've tried the Boot-132 method with the Retail DVD, but can't get the DVD to recognize after loading the kernel from the CD.

Currently I am testing iAtkos 5i, (In customizations use all auto-checked items for update-able system, SMBIOS EFI and graphics/ethernet). I have booted from the EFI partition, and installed 10.5.6 from the Software Update! First time, I used PS2 hacks and lost keyboard/mouse after the update. 2nd time I used the x86 ACPI and kept functionality, but the system is not as stable/speedy as my current install. Very excited to get update-able though- this is a big step for this setup- I never thought it would be possible.

My goal is to get all of the kexts to the /Extra/Extensions file and leave the Vanilla Retail Leopard alone. I don't know if I'll be able to yet... I'll report back. ;)

Yea I will install the Voodoo kernal and update the guide (after backup is done).

iPC seems awesome and I already have it so I'll try it (and write a guide), but I first gotta make sure the backup of iDeneb works (I don't wanna quadboot XP+Linux+iDeneb+iPC :)

If you want to write a guide PM me and I'll link to it but eventually we should make a wiki article.. Maybe this will be the most documented PC :D

Edit: Installed voodoo kernal, updating guide.

Thanks for the post guys. After trying almost every flavor in the book before seeing this thread, I finally have a working version of 10.5.5 running on my Dimension 4600 2.4 Ghz. Using iDeneb, and the recommended settings I seem to be running fairly well, only with no Ethernet or Sound. I'll worry about the sound later, but would love some help with the Ethernet fix.

I seem to be having trouble getting the AppleIntel8255x.kext to load properly. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to the console, but I can follow directions. I can enter the above posted commands, but I never get a confirmation that the kext has loaded, as I have seen on other online instructions for this fix. Also when I reboot, it still tells me that the extension is not loaded properly. Its obvious to me that I am just not doing something right in the console. I assume the first part of the console instructions is 3 separate commands.

Here is exactly what I am doing...

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext

[enter]

[authenticate password]

[enter]

[authenticate password]

sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext

[enter]

[authenticate password]

If this isn't right, please advise...

You shouldn't have to authenticate after every line. You extracted the kext out of the zip right?

Anyways, try these instructions, I couldn't find the original topic where the kext was first posted:

Hi everyone,

This is the AppleIntel8255x.kext this kext also works for the 82557 chipset of the

Intel Pro/100 VE Ethernet Card, all you need to do is drag the AppleIntel8255x.kext

to the following folder: /System/Library/Extensions/

Once you have dragged the filed into /System/Library/Extensions/ you will need to Authenticate

with your administrative password. Once you have authenticated you will need to open a terminal

window & paste the following commands into the terminal:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext [authenticated again]

sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext [manually load kext]

When you have manualy loaded the kext Successfully you should get the following text or

something similar.

Once the kext is successfully loaded clear the kext cache to do this copy and paste the

following into a Terminal:

[This forces the system to re-examine all of the drivers and rematch during the

next boot cycle.]

Now Reboot.

Once you have rebooted go to System Preferences => Network => Built-In Ethernet [This may differ]

=> Configure Now Configure the Built-In Ethernet and you are now Fully Networked!

Enjoy Your "Intel Pro/100 VE Ethernet Card"

This is the same kext, maybe the one I uploaded was corrupted- you can try this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=7135

Sound should work automatically. Did you check AC97 audio in the Customize screen during install?

Only the green jack works:

post-182687-1231200499_thumb.jpg

Actually I did get the Ethernet to work, as I'm posting through Safari right now!

For some reason I couldn't get the kext to load from the console (I didn't try the new one you just posted), but I was able to load it using OSx86Tools (which can be installed as an option on the iDeneb instal DVD). Can't believe I didn't try that first, duh.

Yes I did check AC97 during install, but still nothing. I'm gonna look into the Sound this evening, and I'll post my results.

UPDATE:

Audio working!

Actually my audio outs are slightly different from yours, but on mine, the Black port works in OSx86, while the Green one was the one I used in Windows.

This rocks!!

Hello,

For those that have iDeneb OS X 10.5.5 installed on a Dell Dimension 4600, how do you find that it runs? Is it quick? Is there noticeable lag?

I have a Dell Dimension 4600i that I was considering installing on, but I was worried that the hardware wouldn't be able to handle the OS smoothly. I have the 2.66GHZ version and upgraded the ram to 2GB. I would be using this machine to primarily run Logic Studio 8, so considering that music would be recorded, played back, edited, etc. it would ideally be better if the hardware could handle it while running this OS. Windows XP runs with no trouble, but I don't know much about Leopard and how it utilizes hardware compared to XP.

Thanks.

Hello,

For those that have iDeneb OS X 10.5.5 installed on a Dell Dimension 4600, how do you find that it runs? Is it quick? Is there noticeable lag?

I have a Dell Dimension 4600i that I was considering installing on, but I was worried that the hardware wouldn't be able to handle the OS smoothly. I have the 2.66GHZ version and upgraded the ram to 2GB. I would be using this machine to primarily run Logic Studio 8, so considering that music would be recorded, played back, edited, etc. it would ideally be better if the hardware could handle it while running this OS. Windows XP runs with no trouble, but I don't know much about Leopard and how it utilizes hardware compared to XP.

Thanks.

Runs fine. Performance is like half between Vista and XP. No lag at all. But the 5 channel sound doent work, only 1 channel works.

Hi guys I have the same setup and have tried this and after the install it just keeps rebooting. One thing I did not see was this in the customize

Under Kernel:

9.4.0 StageXNU (Intel/AMD/SSE2/SSE3)

maybe I do not have the right version. Is there a link to a torrent I need to try to download.

Do I need to update or change anything in the Bios?

Sorry I'm a noob at this and can not find any help on this.

You MUST select the right kernel or it won't work.

Just search the bay for

iDeneb v1.3 (Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5)

btw, are you dualbooting?

For beginners I recommend installing leopard on a seperate hard drive so you don't have to mess with bootloaders.

You MUST select the right kernel or it won't work.

Just search the bay for

btw, are you dualbooting?

For beginners I recommend installing leopard on a seperate hard drive so you don't have to mess with bootloaders.

Thanks trying to download again and will re-try.. I was not dual booting. It was time to re-install anyway so I just wiped out the harddrive and plan to just run osX. It will be mu daughters. I use an imac and macbook and can not keep her off mine so i thought I would get her as close as I can..

Thanks I will reply back once I re-try with the new download

Runs fine. Performance is like half between Vista and XP. No lag at all. But the 5 channel sound doent work, only 1 channel works.

Well I wouldn't be using the onboard audio. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which someone on here has created a driver for. It supposedly works great so that's what I would be using for sound output.

Also, when you say performance is half between vista and xp, do you mean it's half of vista and xp or that it's better than xp but not quite as good as vista? Thanks for your reply.

Well I wouldn't be using the onboard audio. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which someone on here has created a driver for. It supposedly works great so that's what I would be using for sound output.

Also, when you say performance is half between vista and xp, do you mean it's half of vista and xp or that it's better than xp but not quite as good as vista? Thanks for your reply.

Performance is comparable to XP. I wasn't thinking clearly...

Thanks DivisionByZero my install was successful, however I have no sound. I did install the AC97 Audio..

Anything else I can try

I got it working. I looked closer on the back of my dell and realized I had an on board audio and an audio card, The On board audio was covered up with a plastic plug. I pulled that off, plugged into the black one and it is working...

How can I back up mu install so if I ever need to reinstall I can just restore this image...

I got it working. I looked closer on the back of my dell and realized I had an on board audio and an audio card, The On board audio was covered up with a plastic plug. I pulled that off, plugged into the black one and it is working...

How can I back up mu install so if I ever need to reinstall I can just restore this image...

I don't know.... I asked here but theres not much help: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143787

I just restored the hard drive to a new external drive using the disk utility on the dvd.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I used this guide to install on my Dimension 4600 2.8G HT. My first try was semi successful with HFS+ case sensitive. I installed to a USB drive. After reboot, I got some error boot0:MBR boot0:done boot1:error. I can boot to USB drive by first boot from DVD and wait a few second. I found that Chameleon 1.0.11 doesn't support case sensitive file system? And I failed to install the new 1.0.12. How I can do that?

My later try is format HFS+ partition as not case sensitive. System can boot but always get error screen: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for serveral seconds or press the restart button.". How I can find out what's wrong here? Any thing I did wrong?

Hi folks,

Thanks for the SUPER guide. I'm evaluating OSX for development before I blow $2k on something I don't know I'll be pursuing. I've got most of the things (keyboard, mouse, bluetooth, sound [audigy 2 zs], networking [intel pro v100], monitor, ntfs partitions) working. I also installed ntfs-3g for OSX for read-write access to my WinXP partitions.

Now the kicker is that my original radeon card (a 9800) died a few months back. Since I don't game I've been getting away with the (onboard) Intel 865g our Dimension 4600 has. 10.5.5 doesn't have drivers for that chip, so I'm stuck in VESA 3.0 mode. At 1280x1024 itn't not terribly ugly but videos or openGL don't work (and I may have some lightweight openGL work).

Ahem. So short story: What card should I pick up (say, under $50) so I can complete this evaluation of OSX as a dev platform?

Ideally I'd like something

- under $50 (remember, this is a temp setup!)

- ok-ish performance in 2D (QE etc)

- ok-ish performance in 3D (openGL)

- well supported in the osx86 community releases

- I won't be gaming on this (duh! ^_^ ).

Ideas?

Thanks

Hi folks,

Thanks for the SUPER guide. I'm evaluating OSX for development before I blow $2k on something I don't know I'll be pursuing. I've got most of the things (keyboard, mouse, bluetooth, sound [audigy 2 zs], networking [intel pro v100], monitor, ntfs partitions) working. I also installed ntfs-3g for OSX for read-write access to my WinXP partitions.

Now the kicker is that my original radeon card (a 9800) died a few months back. Since I don't game I've been getting away with the (onboard) Intel 865g our Dimension 4600 has. 10.5.5 doesn't have drivers for that chip, so I'm stuck in VESA 3.0 mode. At 1280x1024 itn't not terribly ugly but videos or openGL don't work (and I may have some lightweight openGL work).

Ahem. So short story: What card should I pick up (say, under $50) so I can complete this evaluation of OSX as a dev platform?

Ideally I'd like something

- under $50 (remember, this is a temp setup!)

- ok-ish performance in 2D (QE etc)

- ok-ish performance in 3D (openGL)

- well supported in the osx86 community releases

- I won't be gaming on this (duh! :) ).

Ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

Just to follow up on the above, I ended up buying the GeForce FX 5200 256MB. It's not a blazing fast card but its just quick enough, support Vista's Aero interface and OSX's QE/OpenGL. Plus it's one of the few remaining AGP card out there from a big name vendor and which has OSX support. So, others in the same boat, try that card out! The 128MB is $30 while the 256MB was $40 and the cheapest/best deal was at newegg.

I also managed to upgrade to iPC 10.5.6, will post back.

• 4 weeks later...

GREAT Guide!!!

I tried for 8 hours to get this working with the boot-132 method and with iDeneb 1.4 with no luck

I found a copy of iDeneb 1.3, and it worked like a charm. My only issue is that the sound comes out of the black plug, not the green, so dual booting may be an issue. If anyone can figure out how to enable the green audio output, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for all of your work!!

My Specs

Dell 4600 2.8Ghz HT

2.5 Mb Memory

NVidia GEForce 5700 LE

Onboard audio & network

Logitech Quick Cam Connect (works after I installed Macam)

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the 1st post by DivisionByZero

On a Dell Dimension 4600 - using the on-board Intel video card (82865) I used:

• iDeneb 10.5.6 distribution
    • Audio: AC97Audio
    • ChipSet: ICHx Fixed
    • Kernel: 9.5 Voodoo
    • Network: Intel100ProVE
    • Video: {nothing selected}
    • iDeneb Applications: All

Then I followed up with your manual procedures to get networking operational

I did not do the updates for the kernel (because the distro had the 10.5.6)

So far all seems quite good!!

Thanks for the guide

Well - I just got an error

Took a picture of the screen now just trying to get Voodoo Kernel Dev-Team Address to ship it to.

Edited by Brian Shreeves

• 4 weeks later...

Everytime I boot I get a kernel panic at "Extension "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver" has no explicit kernel dependency;".. Why is this and how do I correct it? Also, my Dell Dimension 4600 has 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia Geforce 6800GS. This couldn't possibly have anything to do with this, could it? Thanks..