World of Warcraft installer will not run in iDeneb v1.3 (10.5.5)

Shadrack

20 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm trying to get World of Warcraft to install on my iDeneb v1.3 install of Mac OS X 10.5.5. Double-clicking the installer results in nothing happening. I have tried downloading the latest installer (and game media) from Blizzard's website, but I get the same result. I've done a little web crawling and I think that Blizzard uses a PowerPC binary for the installer and relies on the PowerPC emulator that is built into the Intel version of Mac OS X in order to execute and install. It would appear that there are some problems with iDeneb v1.3 and the PowerPC emulation that is preventing my installation of WoW. Previous version of iDeneb and other "hackintosh distros" do not seem to suffer from the same bug.

Is there a solution out there? I would really like to get WoW working. All I do with my computer is browse the web, listen to music, and play WoW :(.

Thanks for your help!

-Shad

I've got the exact same problem, I downloaded the TBC client installer from Bliz, but when I try to start the installer nothing happens. The fix above didn't help. Any other suggestions? Using iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 with Athlon X2 4200+ (cpus=1), 2GB ram, Nforce4 mb

I've got the exact same problem, I downloaded the TBC client installer from Bliz, but when I try to start the installer nothing happens. The fix above didn't help. Any other suggestions? Using iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 with Athlon X2 4200+ (cpus=1), 2GB ram, Nforce4 mb

Hi Stylpe!

Have you tried the fix that Vickie posted here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=135014

I think it might be the same one, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I had a problem with some of the patches that I downloaded from mirror web sites not starting correctly, despite the patch. I had much better results with what was downloaded using the Blizzard Downloader Client. My downloads could have just been corrupted or something (not sure how that would have happened).

After I installed the patch, I found that the installer on my original WoW discs worked. Have you tried that yet?

You will get more insight if you try and launch the installer from a darwin shell. Open the terminal app, browse to the installer and launch it ("open <name of isntaller>"). If there is an error you'll get some output that might lead you in the right direction (or give you something to google for). I'm not sure if it is Mac OS or iDeneb 1.3, but it is rather frusterating to double-click on something and nothing happens.

This WoW install bug seems to be wide-spread with iDeneb 1.3. If all else fails, try a different hackintosh "distro."

Hi Shadrack, and thanks for your very informative reply!

I've installed the one you linked to (not the same as the one from Jamie71, which didn't ask where I wanted to install it), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help either. I had tried with the original DVD as well, which did the same thing (i.e. nothing).

The error I get in terminal is:

LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 for the file /Volumes/WoW DVD/World of Warcraft (OS X).app.

I've tried googling it, but it seems like it's a pretty generic error with no surefire fix.

I have considered switching to another distro, is there any you would recommend over the others?

Hi Shadrack, and thanks for your very informative reply!

I've installed the one you linked to (not the same as the one from Jamie71, which didn't ask where I wanted to install it), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help either. I had tried with the original DVD as well, which did the same thing (i.e. nothing).

The error I get in terminal is:

LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 for the file /Volumes/WoW DVD/World of Warcraft (OS X).app.

I've tried googling it, but it seems like it's a pretty generic error with no surefire fix.

I have considered switching to another distro, is there any you would recommend over the others?

Dang! Sorry none of that worked for you. I'm not sure about the error, but at least now it is a start.

The various "fixes" on the web for these hackintosh installs seem so sketchy to me... I'm actually kinda shocked that the one Jamie linked me worked. Are they two different files? I wonder the first one you installed messed things up for the second one. Maybe try a clean install of iDeneb 1.3 and apply only the patch in this thread? Might be a good idea to compare the two to see if they are the same or not first.

As for other "distro" to try..I'm not sure. I'm new to the whole hackintosh scene (just got ideneb 1.3 installed last week). When I was searching for World of Warcraft install problems, it seems to be a known issue with a lot of people. Hopefully it is widespread enough to get some developer attention.

Seems like iDeneb has gotten the best reviews from everyone so far as far as "out-of-the-box" hardware support. So you may get WoW working with a different "distro," but you may not have your sound or network working, lol.

I remember some posts in forum threads recommend the use of Kalaway Mac OS 10.5.2. I also remember reading (at the Apple forums I think) that 10.5.5 has PPC emulation (Rosetta) bugs in its core. So a different version might give you better results, or you may have to wait until 10.5.6 is released.

Sorry I can't help any more than this. At this point, all the hard work that has gone into this whole scene seems like voodoo to me :).

Hope you get it working!

Thanks, Shadrack!

I was thinking about waiting for the next 10.5.5 client release of Leo4All, which is due any time now. But if what you say is true about 10.5.5 I guess I can have my pick from all the 10.5.4 releases while we wait for 10.5.6 :P Not sure I want to go all the way back to 10.5.2.

And as far as out-of-the-box support goes, none of the distros have the new Creative beta drivers in, but I have everything necessary on a USB stick anyway, and I haven't found a distro without support for my Nvidia network chip, plus I have my laptop nearby in case of emergency, so I'm safe either way :P

Say, what server do you play on? US or EU? I'm on EU Emerald Dream, although my account is inactive atm, but might buy WotLK...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a slightly different problem: When trying to start the installer (be it the download one or the cd one) the installer executable simply does not start, there is nothing running, nothing to see, nothing ... simply put. I have no idea how this comes, since all other products run just out of the box on my 10.5.6 hackintosh. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

WOW installer first version is for ppc, so your rosetta need to work to run the installer. You can download the game from the blizzard web site this installer is for intel CPU.

I have installed the game on iPC without problem with vanilla kernel. The game run very well.

Hey guys.. I had the same issue on iDeneb 10.5.5 so i did some digging and found the rosetta patch and the carbon fix (which i'll include on this post..) Run the translater first then the carbon and you'll find the installers all work.

Only issue i now find is that with iDeneb i get graphics errors with my nVidia 8600GS where the graphics just suddenly bork and go all wierd on me.. I'm going to look at the 10.5.6 distro's that have just been released, kinda hoping they fixed the PPC errors in the core with this patch.

JJ

Rosetta_Translate_Fix.pkg.zip

CatbonLib_FIX.pkg.zip

Hey guys,

just reading up on this thread and I must say, confused by all the issues you guys are having. Now I'm fairly new to the OSX86 world, but I installed iAKtos 10.5.4 on my Asus G1S last week, then upgraded to 10.5.5 retail without too much issue.

I installed WoW off the original install CDs, including BC and WotLK without any issue whatsoever. The only problem I can find is that framerate has dropped at least 20FPS and I have no idea how to al+tab out of the game (but thats prob my n00bness to Macs).

What does the Carbon Library fix do, and is it worth my while looking into it if I can run the game fairly flawlessly, other than with slighlty reduced performance.

Cheers

Hey guys,

just reading up on this thread and I must say, confused by all the issues you guys are having. Now I'm fairly new to the OSX86 world, but I installed iAKtos 10.5.4 on my Asus G1S last week, then upgraded to 10.5.5 retail without too much issue.

I installed WoW off the original install CDs, including BC and WotLK without any issue whatsoever. The only problem I can find is that framerate has dropped at least 20FPS and I have no idea how to al+tab out of the game (but thats prob my n00bness to Macs).

What does the Carbon Library fix do, and is it worth my while looking into it if I can run the game fairly flawlessly, other than with slighlty reduced performance.

Cheers

If you've got the game working, all be it slower, then you don't need the carbonlib fix.. it fixes the PPC bug where you can't run the installers or anything thats PowerPC based.

As for Alt-Tab, on a mac its Apple-Tab (windows key + tab) ;)

Hope that helps!

JJ