[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Hehe roi deserves credit i would say even if just because he told you about the method and motivated you to create this guide .

hear. i agree. :angel:

roidm

roidm

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I don´t want credits, end of history please...I´ve always answered questions even p.m´s and whatever you´ve requested , right MACiniced?
this situation is not funny for me, so please delete my name of your guide and stop with this

Ziggar

Ziggar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Why do you take this in a bad way roi ? he just means that he is thankful for the help you gave him and from there you gave others since he made the guide .

It's not like he's saying something bad about you (bit confused atm)

roidm

roidm

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
ok, i´m sorry , my apologies, but please understand me my english is very bad...

Ziggar

Ziggar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Ah i see , guess it was a language barrier problem heh :thumbsdown_anim: .

All is good then :)

Guest: oguz286_*

Guest: oguz286_*
  • Guests

grisu & oguz286 - which boot iso's are you using, have you checked posts related to boot iso's for your mobo's?

Here's the place to look: http://forum.insanel...o...114834&st=0

This method only works with RETAIL DVD

If you are using retail it would seem update to 10.5.5 update is affecting Lan or Wifi, just need to find the right kext to modify your initial boot iso CD and use those for initial install and making boot loader.

Have either of you had a retail install running by any other method (Chameleon, DFE 132, EFI) ?

For peeps to help they need more detail

The boot iso I'm using is the one provided by Elastic. It's the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4_ISO. And I have used a retail dvd, so that should not be the problem. This is the first time I did a retail install so I've not tried Chamelion or DFE 132, but I did use EFI once but that was when 10.5.2 was just out. I have no problem running 10.5.0.

About the Lan part, I have a Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit onboard. Further specs are in my sig. I don't know if there are kexts for Lan in the boot iso I used, but if there isn't one that means that I have been using the one in 10.5.0. But the 10.5.5 kext isn't compatible with my onboard Lan, or at least it's a possibiliy. I'll try to see if I can find more info on this. Thanks for your help :)

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

ok, i´m sorry , my apologies, but please understand me my english is very bad...

hope i didn't offend u in any way roisoft. i've edited post#1 to thank u for bringing the method right in my doorstep. tnx Ziggar for expressing our shared appreciation of roisoft's help in giving the meat of this guide.

btw, just got back home & tried & tested that "CoreServices" & /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext are not needed. edited post#1 accordingly.

rafix

rafix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
hey thx for this great guide,

I have some questions about this method:

• what about apple updates, which change the mach_kernel and the Extension.mkext file? This won't update the corresponding files on the boot-partition. Will I still be able to boot the updated system?
  • or are these files (mach and extenstion) only needed in the first stage of starting the whole system and after this the "updated files" on the untouched partition are loaded?
thx

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

• what about apple updates, which change the mach_kernel and the Extension.mkext file? This won't update the corresponding files on the boot-partition. Will I still be able to boot the updated system?
  • or are these files (mach and extenstion) only needed in the first stage of starting the whole system and after this the "updated files" on the untouched partition are loaded?
thx

after each update (i.e. to 10.5.5, to upcoming 10.5.6, & so on), update also the mach_kernel & Extensions.mkext in the "Mac Loader" before restarting your computer.

i've edited post#1 to provide for this. tnx.

MR2nice

MR2nice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

thx

I did some testing tonight with this method both on internal HDD and external USB HDD. With the internal HDD, I installed the Retail 10.5.4 and then updated to 10.5.5 using the MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg. Then I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and everything was good.

With the external USB HDD, installed Retail 10.5.4 and this time I updated through Apple's Software Update. It rebooted by itself the first time and the second time it booted up to 10.5.5. Again, I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and here I am typing this post to give my feedback.

Thanks Macinized and roisoft for this! ;)

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

I did some testing tonight with this method both on internal HDD and external USB HDD. With the internal HDD, I installed the Retail 10.5.4 and then updated to 10.5.5 using the MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg. Then I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and everything was good.

With the external USB HDD, installed Retail 10.5.4 and this time I updated through Apple's Software Update. It rebooted by itself the first time and the second time it booted up to 10.5.5. Again, I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and here I am typing this post to give my feedback.

Thanks Macinized and roisoft for this! :wacko:

you're welcome. :)

what's more, dual-booting retail leopard & winxp (or vista) w/ this method is also really easy.

my dual-boot setup is:

1st hdd (mbr) > 1st partition="MacLoader"

> 2nd partition=WinXP Install

2nd hdd (gpt) > partitioned for the Retail Leopard Install

partition for "MacLoader" is the one active & if my set "Timeout" is not interrupted, system boots from "MacLoader" w/c then [boots] the partition in 2nd hdd where retail leopard is installed.

if "Timeout" is interrupted, i just select the 2nd partition (Windows NTFS) then system boots winxp (or vista). 

retail leopard + winxp full-dual-boot-in-action video.

rafix

rafix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
hey thx for the testing.

to avoid manual updateing of mach_kernel and extentions.mkext, we could use a sync-tool. and when an update changes these files, they are synced automaticly.

i will try it, and report

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

hey thx for the testing.

to avoid manual updateing of mach_kernel and extentions.mkext, we could use a sync-tool. and when an update changes these files, they are synced automaticly.

that would be cool. kindly update us. tnx.

MR2nice

MR2nice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

hey thx for the testing.

Yes, this would be great as I found out from my ongoing test this morning that for some reason after I installed the Logitech Control Center, the Configure page did not detect my MX600 Laser Cordless Mouse. However, it detected the S 530 Keyboard. So I browsed to the System\Library\ and noticed that the Extensions.mkext had updated with a new date/time stamped. So I copied the Extensions.mkext to my boot-partition. Rebooted, checked the Logictech Control Center and this time my mouse was detected and ready to configure.

My question about the "sync-tool" is this. For those who disabled the "MacLoader" from automount, could this tool work?

Thanks.

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
edited post#1 (guide) in the attempt to simplify things. included my very 1st script. :thumbsup_anim:

bla'cappuccino

bla'cappuccino

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Sweet...

Raph4

Raph4

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
very nice, and thanks for your script ;)

If you want, you can add:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

on com.apple.Boot.plist, for disable boot-prompt

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

very nice, and thanks for your script :thumbsup_anim:

If you want, you can add:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

on com.apple.Boot.plist, for disable boot-prompt

yup. if anyone prefers "Quiet Boot", remove the "Timeout" key that i've already put in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

LonelyTV

LonelyTV

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
First off, great tutorial! I found it really simple to follow and had very little troubles with it. However, I've ran into a problem that I hope is simple to fix. When I reboot my computer does it's usual POST and then this appears indefinately:
boot0: GPT
boot0: HFS+
boot0: booting
boot0: done

Anyone know why it's hanging?

Thanks!

Kitrik

Kitrik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

First off, great tutorial! I found it really simple to follow and had very little troubles with it. However, I've ran into a problem that I hope is simple to fix. When I reboot my computer does it's usual POST and then this appears indefinately:

boot0: GPT
boot0: HFS+
boot0: booting
boot0: done

Anyone know why it's hanging?

Thanks!

Same issue. Hoping it's something simple...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy