Final Cut pro 6.0 > audio lag problems

sky capt

8 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I've had a near perfect experience with my setup until i installed FCP 6.0 recently. Everything loads up fine but i'm encountering 1 major issue. It seems that audio is always out of sync, when i drag the audio file to the preview window the graphic plays through the audio waves but the audio doesn't actually begin until 1-3 seconds into the song. Obviously this makes things a bit difficult. 

My system specs are:

kalyway 10.5.2

Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R, Q6600, nvidia 8800gts 512mb (via chameleon), 4gb corsair ram. 

I'm using Realtek ALC888A drivers patched by pcwiz in an aggregate setup to run 4 channels (stereo 2x/ quadraphonic)

I read elsewhere that i might have to use a bios patch to enable all 4 cores of my processor, however all 4 cores show up in the device utility altho the processor type is listed as 'unkown', i'm not sure if this will effect anything tho.

Anyhow if anyone has any tips, let me know

Have you tried to convert to aif, seems for audio and FC aif is the best choice. As I understand one should kind of stay away from compressed formats, probably the same for video and audio but I´m not sure. I have two Hackmacs one with the GA P35-DS3R mobo both with the same CPU as you have and in Logic all cores show to work so probably it´s the same with your mobo.

hey mate,

i figured it wasn't the cores i did a few system checks and it's showing that all the cores are active, i must have read an old post or something.

and yeah i'm working with aiffs, they are at 44.1k tho.. should they be 48k for pal? i've also noticed audio scrubbing with the aiffs is almost non existent or verry laggy and inaccurate.

i've also tested FCP 5 and i had the same problems. could it possibly be a ram issue or something? argh this is quite annoying

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I also have this problem. My fresh install of Final Cut Pro 6 cannot sync any audio.

I've tried, 32 bit floating point, 16 bit integer, dv ntsc, hdv 1080 60i, exporting my audio through imovie, quicktime and itunes, and every audio track I import into final cut will slowly drift out of sync as it plays, or if I don't start playing it from the begining then it will require 1 second to start (almost like a buffering) if I start it a couple seconds in, or one minute to start playing if it's a few minutes in.

Nothing else on my computer is lagging, everything is running quite quickly, so it doesn't seem to be a processing problem. My video also playsback just fine.

This is driving me insane! Please help if you can.

I also have this problem. My fresh install of Final Cut Pro 6 cannot sync any audio.

I've tried, 32 bit floating point, 16 bit integer, dv ntsc, hdv 1080 60i, exporting my audio through imovie, quicktime and itunes, and every audio track I import into final cut will slowly drift out of sync as it plays, or if I don't start playing it from the begining then it will require 1 second to start (almost like a buffering) if I start it a couple seconds in, or one minute to start playing if it's a few minutes in.

Nothing else on my computer is lagging, everything is running quite quickly, so it doesn't seem to be a processing problem. My video also playsback just fine.

This is driving me insane! Please help if you can.

Regarding the first poster, although that was a while back: I have almost the exact same setup and NO problems whatsoever after 6months... which leads me to believe that this is definitely a setting/mistake within FCP: are you capturing the video in the SAME format that it was shot in?

What format are you editing/capturing?

Are you using the "easy setup" presets in FCP for the sequence you are editing?

Are you playing the sequence via outputting to camera, or monitor display?

Have you tried RENDERING the audio/video first? If this matches up in-synch after rendering, that is a sure sign that you have captured or edited in a non-native format.

good luck,

ninetto

Regarding the first poster, although that was a while back: I have almost the exact same setup and NO problems whatsoever after 6months... which leads me to believe that this is definitely a setting/mistake within FCP: are you capturing the video in the SAME format that it was shot in?

What format are you editing/capturing?

Are you using the "easy setup" presets in FCP for the sequence you are editing?

Are you playing the sequence via outputting to camera, or monitor display?

Have you tried RENDERING the audio/video first? If this matches up in-synch after rendering, that is a sure sign that you have captured or edited in a non-native format.

good luck,

ninetto

Thanks for the reply, but I have now "fixed" the problem. I was capturing in hdv1080 60i and tried rendering everything first to no avail.

What I did find out is that the video worked on different accounts on the same computer, so I just created a new user account and opened the same project in there and everything worked fine.

Weird.

Thanks for the reply, but I have now "fixed" the problem. I was capturing in hdv1080 60i and tried rendering everything first to no avail.

What I did find out is that the video worked on different accounts on the same computer, so I just created a new user account and opened the same project in there and everything worked fine.

Weird.

Yup, as great as Final Cut is, with so many formats/codecs strange things can happen. Instead of starting a new account, there is a freeware program call FINAL CUT RESCUE which will reset/backup your preferences which is what seems to have caused your problems...

you can download it HERE

happy editing,

ninetto