GMA900 nolonger need a paperclip on Leopard!

Ccc

30 posts in this topic

I have an Intel GMA 900 series card. I did the upload and rebooted. Unlucky for me, it rebluescreened my computer. I redid the mount -uw / and /movevideodrivers for the Kalyway install to no avail. Luckily, plugging in a standard VGA monitor to the VGA output of my laptop got me to the desktop. I then installed the kext using the OX86 tools and rebooted. The OS still cannot see my video card and boots in standard 1024x768 mode. I need the drivers to run. The instructions that you posted are vague but helpful at best - Kramark - I am with Will. You failed to mentioned where one might find the kexthelper software. You failed to tell anyone how to remove kext at the command prompt and how to log in as a root so that you can even do it.

When you boot up, put -s at the boot: prompt - this will log you in as the root

change to the correct directory - the command is: cd /system/library/extensions

then the remove command is: rm - you need to do this to each file

Then you can use the kexthelper application - not that I could even find it... :(

Kramark - there is really not reason to flame people. If you want to help, then help. Keep it Simple. Not everyone knows the ins and outs of a "Unix" - not Apple, not even the person that started the development of it. No one can at this point. Not even the people as Microsoft understands everything about Windows. The OS's are far to complicated.

Will - If you actually got something working... I would love to know if you got it done and how you did it. I can't get iWorks '08 working unless I get the graphics working. So far, this bombed for me.

I wish you both the best of luck.

What's cooking brother?

Well just wanted to let you know that I personally had no luck with this. I tried following Kramar steps and the first time i tried it, I installed the pckg file which i got from this link http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...csupdate10.html. After the package gets installed you have no choice but to reboot the system so i did and after doing so i get a black screen with some sort of backlight color light and never able to get back into teh OSX's desktop (sort of like a 8 color display even though i cant see icons or anything)... so since i'm an unexperience user that does not know how to uninstall drivers, i went the easiest but longest way to back track (boot off the dvd and re-install OSX again LOL)

Second time around, i tried removing/deleting the "10" files listed in Kramar's instructions "before" actually installing the leopard graphic update.. This did not work either as I was not able to find all the files listed in kramar's steps (in my case not all 10 files were listed under \system\library\extensions\

So pretty much i'm back where i was, apparently this works as people claimed they've gotten it to work. I just havent been as lucky or as bright as those who have gotten it done.

Now i have another dilema and that's getting my wifie intel pro 2200 to work. so no video or wifi but at least i have ethernet :)

Hope you have better luck

Ok guys,i will make another instructions for you to understand it very well and to make us all happy using macintosh :

First you should download the leopard graphic update

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...csupdate10.html

2nd, after you install the update for graphics,don't restart go to System/library/Extension and delete the following:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3rd,after deleting those files install this with kexthelper:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

which are from the post #1

after that restart and you have a working gma900 without paperclip trick... i hope this time you got it right now..

Here is the link for the kexthelper but please mate use google if you need some software because we can't always give you links in this forum..

http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

Enjoy tell me if you got it right ok..

For anyone who may want to try this too. I just downloaded the file provided by RIWS on an earlier post (here's the link: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=32813 ), once downloaded, I pasted the file into \System\Library\Extensions\ (replaced the existing one). Then reboot and boot off the OS X DVD, go to disk utility and repair permissions for the OS X drive, exit disk utility and you're done.

I am now able to boot up my laptop without a paperclip or a monitor connected to the VGA adapter. (I still wanted to try Kramark's steps but since i got it working now I guess i'm good)

another thing to mention, is that under Graphics/Displays: Q/E shows as "not supported". Dont know what results you get with Kramar's step though...

One more update: just tried the steps provided by Kramar and after rebooting, I am also able to reboot without a paperclip or a monitor plugged in and under Q/E it now says "Supported" :lol:

Thanks Kramar!

But copying the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebutter.kext to \System\Library\Extension\ also allows you to boot up without the paperclip

• 1 year later...

Wow!! Lot of thanks!! It worked for me!! I'm using an old laptop with 915GM (GMA 900). I'm using iDeneb 1.5 (OSX 10.5.7) and It works without paperclip fix!!!, CI & QE and 1280x800 resolution. VLC & DVD player works, but Chess no jeje.

imagen1oi.th.png