[Guide] Convert your Retail Leopard Disk/image into a self-booting Backup using Boot-132

120 posts in this topic

I've followed your instruction step by step and burn the DVD. Then boot successfully, but when I chose the partition I intend to install, it says it should be GUID, instead of MBR. What is wrong?

are you sure you edited/replaced OSInstall.mpkg correctly? I just double checked and am able to do an MBR install. Before you burn the dvd you can run OSInstall.mpkg from your disk image (or even desktop) to make sure it will allow MBR installs.

@everyone else - chameleon + boot132 and single layer guide tomorrow

llauqsd:

I succesfully booted the Retail DVD with EFI 132 inside the same DVD!!! I replaced vanilla kernel with ToH 9.0 patched kernel because i have Pentium 4, but worked fine!!!

I have a problem now, when i have to select destination, i cant see any of my SATA HDs.

I looked in the IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and my SATA IDs is there...so...i dont know what is the problem.

Could you help me to find a solution ?

THANK YOU!!!

EDIT: i found that in INITRD.IMG/Extras/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

instead of Bundle Required: Root, says Bundle Requiired: Local.root,

maybe this is the problem. What do you think?

Tomorrow i burn again with this modification to test if works or not.

Awesome guide.

Is there any reason I can't create my own leopard boot DVD instead of using the retail DVD? something that is slimmer basically and will boot up for rescueing, partitioning, restoring, etc..?? I was thinking of trying to use CloneX to create a boot CD. Well if I can create a cloneX boot image, then shouldn't I more or less be able to merge it with the boot-132 image as described in this guide be golden?

make sure you have done the step in part B to enable showing hidden files. Just use finder to go to /system/installation/packages on the dvd disk image, not on your hard drive.

Let me know if that helps.

@PsYkiller - glad to know it works! yeah it could be the different osinstall.mpkg that is making it slow, but also different kexts can slow or speed up the boot process. Personally I have found a disk with fewer changed extensions loads faster than one with many changes. Of note is that other guides often use prerelease versions of OSInstall.mpkg. like you said, if you can, use the version that comes straight off your disk.

@NSCXP2005 - will do.

thanks, i thought i could skip that part becasue i was using your osinstall.mpkg, which workes great with 10.5.0 thanks for the great quide, helped me out alot

llauqsd:

I succesfully booted the Retail DVD with EFI 132 inside the same DVD!!! I replaced vanilla kernel with ToH 9.0 patched kernel because i have Pentium 4, but worked fine!!!

I have a problem now, when i have to select destination, i cant see any of my SATA HDs.

I looked in the IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and my SATA IDs is there...so...i dont know what is the problem.

Could you help me to find a solution ?

THANK YOU!!!

EDIT: i found that in INITRD.IMG/Extras/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

instead of Bundle Required: Root, says Bundle Requiired: Local.root,

maybe this is the problem. What do you think?

Tomorrow i burn again with this modification to test if works or not.

that does sound wrong...I think it is worth trying to burn again with this change. Is this IOATAFamily.kext the one you use on your currently working installation? and you have just moved it to the /extra/extensions on the dvd? if so then i think there is a chance changing local.root to root will fix it.

@dewdman42 - I can't think of any specific reasons why it wouldn't work. Just checked the clonex site and it seems like it's worth a shot. Let us know how it goes.

that does sound wrong...I think it is worth trying to burn again with this change. Is this IOATAFamily.kext the one you use on your currently working installation? and you have just moved it to the /extra/extensions on the dvd? if so then i think there is a chance changing local.root to root will fix it.

@dewdman42 - I can't think of any specific reasons why it wouldn't work. Just checked the clonex site and it seems like it's worth a shot. Let us know how it goes.

I tried to boot with -f and it works !!!

GREAT! Im using Retail DVD with a Pentium 4 !!!!!! I cant believe it !

Part B ) Create modified OSInstall.mpkg to allow MBR installs (optional, you may skip this step if you don't need MBR or will be using a premodified OSInstall.mpkg)

1. Open terminal and type: "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"

2. Restart finder by holding the option key and right clicking (or click and hold the left mouse button) the finder icon in the dock. Select "Restart Finder".

3. In terminal type "xar" to see if xar is installed.

4. If it is not installed (command not found), download it from:

5. http://code.google.com/p/xar/downloads/list

6. Install xar by going to the directory you extracted it to and typing in terminal:

./configure
make
sudo make install

Hi llauqsd,

I have been trying to install xar on Tiger but it wont work, can you tell me how to get it working?

Cheers

NSCXP2005

Yep, it does work. I created a dual layer DVD last night following various instructions from several different sources, using SuperDuper, CloneX, diskutil, Toast9 and the boot-132 DS4 iso. Once created, I could boot up with the DVD, hands off, no keypresses, no swaps. A graphic window came up (full rez by the way) with the apps I chose to include in CloneX (Terminal and Disk Utility). I ran Disk Utility and saw my partitions and found my dmg file on the dvd that was included in the dmg during CloneX phase. I didn't restore it yet because I have to back up my present OSX partition first, but I have no reason to believe it won't work. But I ran verify on the dmg for kicks and it passed. Anyway, yes, it works. Everything on one restore disk now. Well almost.

I intend to write up a complete guide of this for the DS4 community, but first I need to solve one last issue, which is how to include the chameleon installer on the the DVD as well and how to run whatever commands that are necessary to install chameleon after restoring the dmg image to a partition(presuming that I want to wipe the previous disk and start over during restore. I also want to script the whole thing if possible and I want to include a readme that would be available from the peusdo finder menu when the DVD boots up, to give the needed steps required to do the restore.

Basically this is a pretty simple way to create a machine specific installer, that once created, can restore a base image to a blank HD within 10 minutes from a single disc. Who needs Kalyway anymore?

Using your osinstall.mpkg I managed to burn DL Leo Retail DVD and it works fine thanks for the guide.

The only problem is every time I have to boot from the dvd. I have copy the boot file and Extra folder to the root still no lucky of booting from HDD.

My partition is GUID and my specs: Signature

Using your osinstall.mpkg I managed to burn DL Leo Retail DVD and it works fine thanks for the guide.

The only problem is every time I have to boot from the dvd. I have copy the boot file and Extra folder to the root still no lucky of booting from HDD.

My partition is GUID and my specs: Signature

I will explain this when i update my guide tonight

llauqsd,

How is the SL-DVD Guide going? Can you let us know how thing are going, also how to solve the problems I am having with xar?

NSCXP2005

Try installing xcode tools. you will need to download an older version compatible with tiger, and sign up for a free adc membership.

Guide should be updated by tonight pacific standard time

Hi mate,

I installed xcode tools 2.2.1 from Apple and downloaded the lastest version of xar, but when I try to compile it I get loads for errors, do you have a compiled version I could have or no which version will work with Tiger?

Cheers for the updated guide.

NSCXP2005

Guide has been updated. Single layer + bootloader installation instructions added. Please let me know if you run into problems or if I have made any errors.

Thanks M8 I just followed your guide for the bootloader, and it worked .

I had tried this before but it was not working, after reading your guide I tried it again 1st it did not work. Then I opened the root folder and noticed that the boot file that I had put in there had been deleted when I was installing the bootloader meaning that the bootloader was not installed instead it had been uninstalled so I installed the bootloader again with the root folder opened and Show Hidden files enabled using TinkerTool. I noticed the boot file appearing during the installation. Then I deleted it and replaced it with the one from the Galaxy CD, rebooted the system and it worked. Now I don't have to boot from the DVD.

My question is: is there a way I can boot straight into leopard hdd without going through the boot option screen? since I have only leo installed on my system I don't have go through boot option all the time.

Thanks everyone for this wonderful community.

Hi mate,

I installed xcode tools 2.2.1 from Apple and downloaded the lastest version of xar, but when I try to compile it I get loads for errors, do you have a compiled version I could have or no which version will work with Tiger?

Cheers for the updated guide.

NSCXP2005

I've looked more into this and the problem may be that xar was not introduced into osx until leopard. There seems to be a way to install it on tiger using darwinports, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth. If you upload the OSInstall.mpkg file you are trying to modify I can modify it for you.

Thanks M8 I just followed your guide for the bootloader, and it worked .

I had tried this before but it was not working, after reading your guide I tried it again 1st it did not work. Then I opened the root folder and noticed that the boot file that I had put in there had been deleted when I was installing the bootloader meaning that the bootloader was not installed instead it had been uninstalled so I installed the bootloader again with the root folder opened and Show Hidden files enabled using TinkerTool. I noticed the boot file appearing during the installation. Then I deleted it and replaced it with the one from the Galaxy CD, rebooted the system and it worked. Now I don't have to boot from the DVD.

My question is: is there a way I can boot straight into leopard hdd without going through the boot option screen? since I have only leo installed on my system I don't have go through boot option all the time.

Thanks everyone for this wonderful community.

Since you didn't have hidden files enabled at first it may have been that when the bootloader was being installed it wrote over your file with an invisible file, thus looking like it deleted it. I'm glad you figured out that you have to install the bootloader first, and then overwrite it with your own boot file. If you do it the other way around your boot file will be overwritten.

As of yet I have not found a way to bypass the boot selection screen. Chameleon and boot-132 are almost certainly going to combine features of each other in the near future, and hopefully (probably) when this happens we will also have our solution.

@ STLVNUB - doesn't work with the dfe bootloader. I've looked at the source and have been able to change it so it will go through to leopard without the prompt, but unfortunately kabyl's source hasn't been released (only david elliot's), so it's of little use.

@NSCXP2005 - it's probably connected by internal ps2 interface. try copying the ps2 drivers you are using on your working installation into /extra/extensions

llauqsd,

I finally got OSX Retail working with all my hardware, The only problem I have is that 3 of the files I have are pkg files, is there anyway to convert the files into kexts so that thhey can be put in the extensions folder so that everything works OTB?

Please find files attached.

If not, can you tell me what kexts these 3 change/install so that I can copy them to using them in the extension folder, for future install.

Cheers

NSCXP2005

Intel8255x.pkg.zip

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

wireless.patch.pkg.zip