the REAL Simpsons

xtraa

11 posts in this topic

Does anybody know the history behind this clip? Someone put a lot of work into it and I was unable to find anything about it on google.

Mike

Hmm,

I just know that it has to be made on an isle like england, because March is sitting on the wrong side.

OFF TOPIC: I'm not english or something like that (in fact, i'm chilean) but i think that the "wrong side" part of your post is something you could avoided...they just drive on that side...but that doesn't mean that driving on the right side of the car is wrong....

Then again, this video is done to be as closely similar to the intro to The Simpsons, that having marge drive a right-hand drive vehicle is 'on the wrong side'. :poster_oops:

Yes :) thats exactly how I meant it :D

It is the wrong side for the video, not the wrong side for driving a car of course.

btw. all in europe once drived on the left side, because that way it was easier for knights to hold the sword in

the right hand. That was important for oncoming traffic and to be prepaired for a fight. I don't know who

decided to switch the sites, but if you know that, the real "wrong" side would be to drive on the right. :D

Off-topic comment follows: :D

Xtraa - well done! :) you are absolutely right about the knights and the sword hand - not many people know that!

:

In Sweden and Iceland they continued to drive on the left until 1967 and some parts of Canada drove on the left until after the second world war. Czechoslovakia and Hungary and even parts of Austria drove on the left until 1939 - amazing. Even Britain considered changing in the mid 1960s but as it's an island it wasn't considered worth the expenditure to change millions of signs and make everyone's car obsolete.

Today you can see US-registered cars driving on the left in the US Virgin Islands and you can see British cars driving on the right in Gibraltar - a couple of anomalies to the 'law of the land'.

The rationale for driving on the right seems to have originated so that a farmer sitting on the left horse of a team could watch his cart wheels when he passed someone. He sat on the left so he could use his right hand to flourish his whip.

Apart from nearly all British commonwealth countries and ex-colonies, the Japanese drive on the left and some smaller countries which never had much colonial influence chose the left by chance.

As to which is correct, the country ratio is about Left - 75 : 150 - Right. I guess the Right has it.

lesson>

On a personal note, I'm equally comfortable now driving on the right or the left. Thankfully the pedals are the same way round! But I did get a sore hand at first from bashing the door when going to change gear, and I remember getting into a rental car in Germany and thinking that there was an awful lot of car on the right side of me. My colleagues still laugh at me when I go to get into the WRONG side of my car to drive it - I do that quite often when I'm not concentrating - and I've been in the US six years now :hysterical:

Does anybody know the history behind this clip? Someone put a lot of work into it and I was unable to find anything about it on google.

Mike

it was made as an ad for Sky TV in the UK, to advertise... The Simpsons... lol

"producers of The Simpsons have been filming a live action opening sequence of the show in Bromley, United Kingdom.

Simpsons maker Matt Groening has approved the human version of the show's opening credits to promote Season 17 on Sky One in the UK."