ATI FireGL Mobility V3200 WORKING! w/ Instructions

VoRTeX15O

62 posts in this topic

It's an 14" T43P 1400*1050 version 2668OCV

mobility v3200 device ID:3154

Sorry for delaying. I couldn't find anything this time. There was another site with a video of what you're describing. I can't remember where it was, but he's also waiting for a fix and his laptop isn't a T43p. Send me your email address and I can send you my ATIRadeon9700.kext . Don't know if that's going to help any, but it's worth a try. Let me know.

ok, so I did a little digging and found the X1600 Device ID for the MBP. I think it's 0x71c5. The FireGL V5200's device id is 0x71c4. I found that string (0x71c5) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/info.plist. I couldn't find the same string in reverse (c5 71) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 file.

So, daringly, I just edited only the info.plist file with the correct device ID and volia. No need to Modifly any other file. It works perfectly with the ATI FireGL V5200 on a Thinkpad T60p

Quick question: how do you guys modify the graphics card description so that it shows up properly in System Profiler. My has a generic name.

ok, so I did a little digging and found the X1600 Device ID for the MBP. I think it's 0x71c5. The FireGL V5200's device id is 0x71c4. I found that string (0x71c5) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/info.plist. I couldn't find the same string in reverse (c5 71) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 file.

So, daringly, I just edited only the info.plist file with the correct device ID and volia. No need to Modifly any other file. It works perfectly with the ATI FireGL V5200 on a Thinkpad T60p

Quick question: how do you guys modify the graphics card description so that it shows up properly in System Profiler. My has a generic name.

WOW a T60p already running OSx86? :D well that's just sweet. Have you benched it using xbench now that you have OpenGL support? I'm just curious how the Core Duo ThinkPads run. :)

Apparently, I had to edit both files. As far as how thing goes, I still have the generic name as 'VGA-Compatible Controller' . Nice find though.

Hi raysmd,

Good to know that your T60p with FireGL 5200 works great. I have couple of questions for you. I'm actually trying to get the best compatible dual core notebook and just returned my Inspiron 6000 since the max resolution I can go on that is 1280x1024 (stretched with no widescreen).

1. Do you get true widescreen with 10.4.4/.5? How much max resolution you can get?

2. Is your wireless working? (Did you get ThinkPad wireless a/b/g or the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)? I heard that the Intel wireless card is not working.

3. Do you get mouse tearing/artifacts?

4. How about sound? Is it working great?

5. DVD writer ==> Is it dual layer and also does it work fine?

6. Any light leakage on the LCD? My i6000 did and that was also a cause for my return.

7. Since T60p is a dual core, is the dual core recognized by Mac OS X as a dual processor? Any stutters, graphic glitches when running for couple of hours?

8. Does this model come with ThinkLight?

9. If I get a T60 and not T60p, will the same workaround done for FireGL 5200 work on T60 and also get widescreen display? Because, T60 has a ATI X1400 card.

Sorry for lot of questions. Since this is very expensive, I want to spend my money right.

Thanks.

mac_newbie,

The Thinkpad can always be returned within 30 days. no questions asked. so, here's what I suggest; get whichever model you want and/or can afford. If it doesn't work out, then just return it. FULL REFUND.

Answers:

1. The T60(p) is not a widescreen laptop. It's a standard display. I get the max resolution which is 1400x1050 from a 14" LCD. There is a 15" version which all the Thinkpad owners rave about. It's supposed to be fantastic with it's "flexview" display technology. The resolution for that one is 1600x1200 or 1400x1050 depending on which model you get. I'm sure that the FireGL V5200 will display whatever resolution the graphics card is capable of, whether it's on OSX or winxp.

2. yes, wireless is working. DO NOT get the Intel version. I got the Thinkpad 11 a/b/g version. It's an overall better WiFi card, even if you're not going to use it with osx.

3. yes, I do get mouse artifacts, but no tearing artifacts. I think this is because the driver is not yet fully optimized.

4. Sound is not yet working because I didn't have time to tell osx what kind of audio device I have. I'm sure it's the same workaround as the FireGL V5200.

5. DVD writer is dual layer and it works fine. Single layer burns at 8X. Dual layer at 2.4X

6. No leakage on the 14" LCD. If you can stand to have a bigger laptop, then definitely go with the 15" flexview. It's supposed to be very nice. The viewing angles are superb. check out the 15" below. I only got the 14" becuase I already hate the weight of a 14". I much prefer a subnotebook

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=22543

and

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=46522

7. yes, it is recognized as a dual core. No stuttering or any kind after 6 hours.

8. all thinkpads come with a thinklight (I believe all).

9. I'm not sure about the X1400 work around. I'm sure it's quite possible.

let me know what you end up getting.

After making the changes to the file with hexedit and editing the plist when the machine boots it starts as usual but when it before switched to the graphics mode it now just switches to a blank screen.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Uh ohh. I can only tell you how to work on a disk that's now rendered pretty much GUI-less to you - which means you can still get to the terminal.

Only if you can boot into single user mode but the keys won't work as they do on Macs. You need to boot using your Mac OS X install cd to get to single user mode. What you need to do is...

Boot the cd as if you're going to reinstall the OS. Once at the screen with File Edit View etc at the top, the install disk will have an option for you to access Terminal.app on one of the top drop-down menus. Use the Terminal and type:

'/sbin/mount -t hfs -rw /dev/disk0sX /Volumes' where X=your slice or partition number maybe 1 or 2.

Your hard drive's device should be something like disk0s1 or disk0s2 - you need to find out which device, but most likely it's one of those two.

Then replace the files you've changed so your video will work correctly. I hope you've backed up the original files. Good luck.

Have you tried to enter the graphics mode switch at the boot prompt? Does it work for you? If so, search on editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file for making it permanent...

Mine defaults to 1024x768. To set it permanently, change the content of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to look:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

'-v' is verbose - you don't need to inlude that.

Uh ohh. I can only tell you how to work on a disk that's now rendered pretty much GUI-less to you - which means you can still get to the terminal.

Only if you can boot into single user mode but the keys won't work as they do on Macs. You need to boot using your Mac OS X install cd to get to single user mode. What you need to do is...

Boot the cd as if you're going to reinstall the OS. Once at the screen with File Edit View etc at the top, the install disk will have an option for you to access Terminal.app on one of the top drop-down menus. Use the Terminal and type:

'/sbin/mount -t hfs -rw /dev/disk0sX /Volumes' where X=your slice or partition number maybe 1 or 2.

Your hard drive's device should be something like disk0s1 or disk0s2 - you need to find out which device, but most likely it's one of those two.

Then replace the files you've changed so your video will work correctly. I hope you've backed up the original files. Good luck.

Getting back to a working system was fairly easy. Having worked in the industry for a while I know the number one rule when messing with file BACKUP. So I just mounted the disk into my XP system and copied over the backup.

I will email you my address - if you could send me your file that would be cool as it seems we have the same laptop

• 1 month later...

i am a t43p user too and i am using macosx 10.4.6 hotis.but my t43p can not use ci and qe.i have done all.but after restart the machine stops an apple boot screen.any can help me?any one can share me the creacked 9700files for t43p?/thanks

• 1 month later...

ma-peters-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext root# kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700's i486 arch is incomplete

kextload: error mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700

kextload: can't map module files

kextload: can't check load addresses of modules

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

ma-peters-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext root# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

ma-peters-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext root#

ma-peters-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

ma-peters-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root# sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

Authentication failures

{

"File owner/permissions are incorrect" = (

"/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext"

"/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

"/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents"

"/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700"

"/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS"

)

}

ma-peters-computer:/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents root#

The best thing to do is go to the Terminal and su to root

1) 'cd' to /System/Library/Extensions and do a 'cp -rf' to copy to a backup location where you can back up your original ATIRadeon9700.kext .

2) Then do this again except this time 'cp -rf' a copy to your working desktop.

3) 'cd' to your working desktop where your ATIRadeon9700.kext is and 'mv' to rename it to just ATIRadeon9700 w/o the .kext at the end. Now it's a folder.

4) do a 'chmod -R 777 ATIRadeon9700'

5) now you can access and edit the files and after done editing, rename using 'mv' ATIRadeon9700 back to ATIRadeon9700.kext

6) 'mv' to move the edited kext back into your Extensions folder where it's suppose to be over the original copy assuming you've backed up the original somewhere

7) 'rm' to delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache

8) run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and repair your OSx86 drive's permissions and reboot

OMG!! What the bloody hell you on about man??

Why so complex, can someone just post me a .kext for my radeon mobilty x600, device id 3150, vendor 1002.......Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese?

This CI, and QE is doing my nut, grrrr.

• 3 weeks later...
i am a t43p user too and i am using macosx 10.4.6 hotis.but my t43p can not use ci and qe.i have done all.but after restart the machine stops an apple boot screen.any can help me?any one can share me the creacked 9700files for t43p?/thanks

I'm stuck there too. I think I've got my files modified correctly, but it hangs on boot unless I put it into safe mode...

I got the driver working by changing the ID from 3154 to 5431. One of those things that probably shouldn't work but does... Actually, in thinking about it, I think the XX and YY mentioned are backwards because it shows up as 3154 in the profiler... whatever...

I have not however gotten quartz working, even with modifying the config file in the frameworks folder. Anyone else get this working?

OMG!! What the bloody hell you on about man??

Why so complex, can someone just post me a .kext for my radeon mobilty x600, device id 3150, vendor 1002.......Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese?

This CI, and QE is doing my nut, grrrr.

I suggest you read the forum rules before posting.

It is up to you to get your card to work. We can try our best to tell you how to do it.

it wouldn't be fair for you to freeload from people because we have enough problems trying to get our card to work - let alone working on different video cards.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
The best thing to do is go to the Terminal and su to root

1) 'cd' to /System/Library/Extensions and do a 'cp -rf' to copy to a backup location where you can back up your original ATIRadeon9700.kext .

2) Then do this again except this time 'cp -rf' a copy to your working desktop.

3) 'cd' to your working desktop where your ATIRadeon9700.kext is and 'mv' to rename it to just ATIRadeon9700 w/o the .kext at the end. Now it's a folder.

4) do a 'chmod -R 777 ATIRadeon9700'

5) now you can access and edit the files and after done editing, rename using 'mv' ATIRadeon9700 back to ATIRadeon9700.kext

6) 'mv' to move the edited kext back into your Extensions folder where it's suppose to be over the original copy assuming you've backed up the original somewhere

7) 'rm' to delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache

8) run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and repair your OSx86 drive's permissions and reboot

Works! 10.4.6 Myzar. QE/CI support. Few tearings. CPU speed still being wrongfully reported as 500MHz when it's an Athlon64 2800+ 1.8Ghz. Any Ideas? Imma check out the other posts. Oh no audio too. I have a ULi chipset.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone attempted this hack on the 10.4.8 install?

I've opened up the file as below

~/Desktop/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/

-rwxrwxrwx 1 convery convery 906116 Jan 11 18:50 ATIRadeon9700

but there does not seem to be any occurance of the 3D 60 5B 00 00 in the file. Alternatively does anyone have a copy of the kext from 10.4.6?

Cheers

Rob

After a bit of searching I found a kext from 10.4.6.

I have tried using that and replacing the hex edit with 3D 54 31 00 00 and 3D 31 54 00 00. I have also updated the Info.plist file with 0x5B601002 became 0x31541002.

One thing I have noticed that is different from others is on my Display properties it currently is listed as a PCIe device rather than PCI - could this make the difference?

I also checked the 10.4.8 kext did not work out of the box but it did not. I have managed to get it running at 1600x1200 but cant get CI or QE working

Below are my GFX card info from windows

Item Value

Name ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3200

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3154&SUBSYS_05701014&REV_80\4&266C3FA7&0&0008

Adapter Type ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3200 (0x3154), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3200

Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6561

INF File oem56.inf (BR_30332_ati2mtag_M24GL section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 65536

Resolution 1600 x 1200 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 16

Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xC7FFFFFF

I/O Port 0x00003000-0x00003FFF

Memory Address 0xB0100000-0xB01FFFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

My machine is a T32p (2668-H1G) Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...