61 replies to this topic

enroh

enroh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
no that does not work ... returns Video Mode Not Supported

Darwin reports VESA2 and the ability to do 1280x1204x32 but the OS does not. It reports only a maximum of 1024x768.

What I am really in need of is a guide to getting my card to be recognized as AGP instead of PCI. I have gone through several walkthroughs already with no luck. I have my vendor and device IDs but no such luck as of yet.

For example - the one fix regarding editing the AppleI386PCI.kext does not exist in 10.4.3 therefore you have to edit the IOPCIFamily.kext with no luck there either.

Now its entirely possible that I edited this file incorrectly. However, I have seen 2 conflicting posts regarding the order of vendor and device IDs in this file.
Also, the editing of the Koverge fix is not possible because the HEX code thats quoted

3D 60 5B 00 00

does not exist in the 10.4.3 version of the Radeon9700.kext file ***UPDATE*** found the keys and changed them but now system wont boot into GUI...
===============================================
Is there anyone out there with an ATI AIW 9600Pro AGP card working fully at 1280x1024x32 with CI and QE ????
FYI the vendor ID = 1002 and the device ID = 4150
The PCI to AGP vendor ID = 8086 and the device ID = 2571

Do I need to provide more information to someone for more help?

Thanks.

VoRTeX15O

VoRTeX15O

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
This was a popular hack for the PowerMac 9600s with the ATI Radeon 7000's. I have lost the original link to this information and haven't checked osx86 on this yet. I would first attempt to change the video settings so that the computer would first recognize the video card as mainly an AGP than PCI. Chances are OSX already defaults to AGP. I think this is worth noting:

"English: From other forum:

Hey guys,

I discovered another tweak for MACOSX, very interesting stuff, especially
if you own an ATI card, and running on AGP. This is interesting, because
this hack enables Quartz for PCI, too. And most of our Cards are by now
detected as PCI Cards due lack of drivers. afaik. cmiiw.

Hack to Enable Quartz Extreme on Radeon "PCI" Cards

1. Open the terminal

2. type sudo -s to become root

3. type nano /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Configuration.plist

Here you'll find a section that needs changing for PCI card users (again still requires a Radeon card)

<key>GLCompositorRequiredClasses </key>
<array>
<string>IOAGPDevice </string>
</array>

Change IOAGPDevice to IOPCIDevice

OR (thats what I did)

Add a line that it looks like this

<key>GLCompositorRequiredClasses </key>
<array>
<string>IOAGPDevice </string>
<string>IOPCIDevice </string> </array>

4. Save the file.

5. Tell me the results "

VoRTeX15O

VoRTeX15O

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Hi, VoRTeX15O

Thanks for the post and I got my CI QE working on my T43p with 1400*1050 resolution.
I have the same ID 3154 too. But should the hack be 3d 54 31 00 00 according to the YYXX rule?
It should be because I got it working only with the "3d 54 31 00 00" replacement.

However, I got severe artifact when I grasp a window and move. Looks like old day television without signal. When I change to "system graphics", it's gone. Did I miss something else? Can anybody make me even happier without the artifact? Thanks.

Do you have the 14" or 15" ThinkPad?

prince100

prince100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Do you have the 14" or 15" ThinkPad?

It's an 14" T43P 1400*1050 version 2668OCV
mobility v3200 device ID:3154

raysmd

raysmd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
You guys have any advice for me? I have the ATI FireGL V5200 (based on the Mobility X1600). This should be the same as the MBP video card.

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller
Bus: PCIe
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c4
Revision ID: 0x0000
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

VoRTeX15O

VoRTeX15O

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

It's an 14" T43P 1400*1050 version 2668OCV
mobility v3200 device ID:3154

Sorry for delaying. I couldn't find anything this time. There was another site with a video of what you're describing. I can't remember where it was, but he's also waiting for a fix and his laptop isn't a T43p. Send me your email address and I can send you my ATIRadeon9700.kext . Don't know if that's going to help any, but it's worth a try. Let me know.

raysmd

raysmd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
ok, so I did a little digging and found the X1600 Device ID for the MBP. I think it's 0x71c5. The FireGL V5200's device id is 0x71c4. I found that string (0x71c5) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/info.plist. I couldn't find the same string in reverse (c5 71) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 file.

So, daringly, I just edited only the info.plist file with the correct device ID and volia. No need to Modifly any other file. It works perfectly with the ATI FireGL V5200 on a Thinkpad T60p

Quick question: how do you guys modify the graphics card description so that it shows up properly in System Profiler. My has a generic name.

VoRTeX15O

VoRTeX15O

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

ok, so I did a little digging and found the X1600 Device ID for the MBP. I think it's 0x71c5. The FireGL V5200's device id is 0x71c4. I found that string (0x71c5) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/info.plist. I couldn't find the same string in reverse (c5 71) in the ATIRadeonX1000.ktext/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 file.
So, daringly, I just edited only the info.plist file with the correct device ID and volia. No need to Modifly any other file. It works perfectly with the ATI FireGL V5200 on a Thinkpad T60p
Quick question: how do you guys modify the graphics card description so that it shows up properly in System Profiler. My has a generic name.

WOW a T60p already running OSx86? :D well that's just sweet. Have you benched it using xbench now that you have OpenGL support? I'm just curious how the Core Duo ThinkPads run. :)

Apparently, I had to edit both files. As far as how thing goes, I still have the generic name as 'VGA-Compatible Controller' . Nice find though.

raysmd

raysmd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
it was your thread and koverg's thread that helped me get the correct resolution. Thanks, and yes, I did bench it using xbench 1.2. Not too different.

check it out

http://db.xbench.com...tml?doc2=158712

mac_newbie

mac_newbie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Hi raysmd,

Good to know that your T60p with FireGL 5200 works great. I have couple of questions for you. I'm actually trying to get the best compatible dual core notebook and just returned my Inspiron 6000 since the max resolution I can go on that is 1280x1024 (stretched with no widescreen).

1. Do you get true widescreen with 10.4.4/.5? How much max resolution you can get?
2. Is your wireless working? (Did you get ThinkPad wireless a/b/g or the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)? I heard that the Intel wireless card is not working.
3. Do you get mouse tearing/artifacts?
4. How about sound? Is it working great?
5. DVD writer ==> Is it dual layer and also does it work fine?
6. Any light leakage on the LCD? My i6000 did and that was also a cause for my return.
7. Since T60p is a dual core, is the dual core recognized by Mac OS X as a dual processor? Any stutters, graphic glitches when running for couple of hours?
8. Does this model come with ThinkLight?
9. If I get a T60 and not T60p, will the same workaround done for FireGL 5200 work on T60 and also get widescreen display? Because, T60 has a ATI X1400 card.

Sorry for lot of questions. Since this is very expensive, I want to spend my money right.

Thanks.

raysmd

raysmd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
mac_newbie,

The Thinkpad can always be returned within 30 days. no questions asked. so, here's what I suggest; get whichever model you want and/or can afford. If it doesn't work out, then just return it. FULL REFUND.

Answers:
1. The T60(p) is not a widescreen laptop. It's a standard display. I get the max resolution which is 1400x1050 from a 14" LCD. There is a 15" version which all the Thinkpad owners rave about. It's supposed to be fantastic with it's "flexview" display technology. The resolution for that one is 1600x1200 or 1400x1050 depending on which model you get. I'm sure that the FireGL V5200 will display whatever resolution the graphics card is capable of, whether it's on OSX or winxp.

2. yes, wireless is working. DO NOT get the Intel version. I got the Thinkpad 11 a/b/g version. It's an overall better WiFi card, even if you're not going to use it with osx.

3. yes, I do get mouse artifacts, but no tearing artifacts. I think this is because the driver is not yet fully optimized.

4. Sound is not yet working because I didn't have time to tell osx what kind of audio device I have. I'm sure it's the same workaround as the FireGL V5200.

5. DVD writer is dual layer and it works fine. Single layer burns at 8X. Dual layer at 2.4X

6. No leakage on the 14" LCD. If you can stand to have a bigger laptop, then definitely go with the 15" flexview. It's supposed to be very nice. The viewing angles are superb. check out the 15" below. I only got the 14" becuase I already hate the weight of a 14". I much prefer a subnotebook

http://forum.thinkpa...pic.php?t=22543
and
http://forum.noteboo...ead.php?t=46522

7. yes, it is recognized as a dual core. No stuttering or any kind after 6 hours.

8. all thinkpads come with a thinklight (I believe all).

9. I'm not sure about the X1400 work around. I'm sure it's quite possible.

let me know what you end up getting.

Alec S.

Alec S.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
I've tried this guide to enable my ATI X1600 Pro, everything was fine, but when my computer was rebooted it told me that it's kernel panic... :D

Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
After making the changes to the file with hexedit and editing the plist when the machine boots it starts as usual but when it before switched to the graphics mode it now just switches to a blank screen.

Any ideas how to fix it?

VoRTeX15O

VoRTeX15O

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

After making the changes to the file with hexedit and editing the plist when the machine boots it starts as usual but when it before switched to the graphics mode it now just switches to a blank screen.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Uh ohh. I can only tell you how to work on a disk that's now rendered pretty much GUI-less to you - which means you can still get to the terminal.

Only if you can boot into single user mode but the keys won't work as they do on Macs. You need to boot using your Mac OS X install cd to get to single user mode. What you need to do is...

Boot the cd as if you're going to reinstall the OS. Once at the screen with File Edit View etc at the top, the install disk will have an option for you to access Terminal.app on one of the top drop-down menus. Use the Terminal and type:

'/sbin/mount -t hfs -rw /dev/disk0sX /Volumes' where X=your slice or partition number maybe 1 or 2.

Your hard drive's device should be something like disk0s1 or disk0s2 - you need to find out which device, but most likely it's one of those two.

Then replace the files you've changed so your video will work correctly. I hope you've backed up the original files. Good luck.

Monkey

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
This didn't work for me. Powercolor x800GT. Device ID: 0x5D4F

VoRTeX15O

VoRTeX15O

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Have you tried to enter the graphics mode switch at the boot prompt? Does it work for you? If so, search on editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file for making it permanent...

Mine defaults to 1024x768. To set it permanently, change the content of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to look:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>

'-v' is verbose - you don't need to inlude that.

Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Uh ohh. I can only tell you how to work on a disk that's now rendered pretty much GUI-less to you - which means you can still get to the terminal.

Only if you can boot into single user mode but the keys won't work as they do on Macs. You need to boot using your Mac OS X install cd to get to single user mode. What you need to do is...

Boot the cd as if you're going to reinstall the OS. Once at the screen with File Edit View etc at the top, the install disk will have an option for you to access Terminal.app on one of the top drop-down menus. Use the Terminal and type:

'/sbin/mount -t hfs -rw /dev/disk0sX /Volumes' where X=your slice or partition number maybe 1 or 2.

Your hard drive's device should be something like disk0s1 or disk0s2 - you need to find out which device, but most likely it's one of those two.

Then replace the files you've changed so your video will work correctly. I hope you've backed up the original files. Good luck.

Getting back to a working system was fairly easy. Having worked in the industry for a while I know the number one rule when messing with file BACKUP. So I just mounted the disk into my XP system and copied over the backup.

I will email you my address - if you could send me your file that would be cool as it seems we have the same laptop

Amuraivel

Amuraivel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
@raysmd

What model of T60p do you have if it is 14.1 wihout Intel?

yonnyjiang

yonnyjiang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i am a t43p user too and i am using macosx 10.4.6 hotis.but my t43p can not use ci and qe.i have done all.but after restart the machine stops an apple boot screen.any can help me?any one can share me the creacked 9700files for t43p?/thanks

yonnyjiang

yonnyjiang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
who can help me............

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy