NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M on Leopard

b:z

112 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I've a problem with Quadro 570m too. Just got a new laptop (HP 8510w) which uses 570m card (device-id: 0x040c)... I've tried Nvinject with no success at all, I've read somewhere that chipset on 570m is nearly similar than chipset in 8600GT (which is the native macbook pro gfx am I right?) so are there any tweaks to get 570m working? if no drivers, could I change the device-id somehow to match 8600GT or anything?

btw. There isn't way to make X recognize it as GeForce is there? AFAIK Quadro is just a geforce with some extras?

first post btw :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. I have been running my HP 8510p with the 570m for some time now. I was able to swap the graphics card out for the Quadro, and also swapped out the Intel wifi for Broadcom, which got the wireless working. Right now, I have full support with the video card (CI/QE/resolution change) and have yet to try plugging in a monitor for the HDMI or VGA port. Now, the main issue I run into is closing the lid. Doing so freezes the laptop. It doesn't change the monitor source, it physically freezes it. I do not see any evidence in the logs either. Maybe if we work together and figure this out, we can get everything working. I am leaning towards a mix of incorrectly detected display and possible ACPI kext issues.

To get to my stage, install iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4. You can either use the NVinjectGo that is bundled with it, or skip it and install NVkush. Both seemed to get me the full hardware support.

post-9933-1224142670_thumb.jpg

The NVkusinstaller can't recognize exact VRAM size and CI/QE still is not supported :D

Try to install Nvidia-Leopard-Graphhic.kext, i can't access into my desktop. The system always stays at default boot screen (apple logo).

I am using T61p with FX570m.

Anyone advice on this matter?

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ThinkMacky,

What did you do to get QE working on your T61p? I have a (nearly) fully functional T61p running Leopard 10.5.5, Video (no QE/CE), Audio (speakers only), Wireless, Power. Would love to even get QE functional. I have not installed NVInject/Go, set DeviceIDs, or anything for my video. I'm fixed at 1680x1050x32. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gee...not sure If I understood your question....

All i did was.....

i) I downloaded OSX 86 Tools,

ii) and used it to enable QE.

iii) Xbench shows about 30% improvement in my Video rates.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if you guys have fixed this yet, but I have QE/CI enabled, I installed NVinjectGo 0.2.0 and NVKush

next step was to edit Info.plist in NVinjectGo.kext, I changed IOProbeScore from 6000 to 0

now VLC works just fine =P

What gfx/laptop/osx version do you have? Thx!

I figured I'd post this here for everyone, I have a compaq 8510w with a quadro fx 570m and iatkos 10.5.5 with voodoo 9.5.0, does anyone have the right EFI string for this card? I'm thinking that might be why the HDMI out doesn't work. Also, if anyone knows how to get the laptop lid close to work that would be great - it just freezes when I close the lid

• 2 months later...
I figured I'd post this here for everyone, I have a compaq 8510w with a quadro fx 570m and iatkos 10.5.5 with voodoo 9.5.0, does anyone have the right EFI string for this card? I'm thinking that might be why the HDMI out doesn't work. Also, if anyone knows how to get the laptop lid close to work that would be great - it just freezes when I close the lid

Erm, are you sure you have a Quadro FX 570M? What's your device ID? When did you get machine/card? Post your exact kexts please.

• 3 weeks later...
Also interested. I have a T61p. I've been looking for over a year.

Same here buddy.

The outlook looks bad. I've worked personally with a couple of projects by dumping the hex for my video bios for them to try and get it to work, but have had no luck.

If someone gets this working I'll pay them 50.00$. I know it's not much, but I'm broke.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Considering how this card is supported on laptops other than the T61p, I have a real hard time imagining this would be very difficult to get running on the T61p. Does any one know who I can contact about troubleshooting/adding support for this card on the T61p?

I've got time on my hands.

Best,

Arthur

• 1 month later...

Here are some good news for T61p owners and Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I've managed to get the FX570m working and accelerated, and it works in a very strange way/combination. The screen resolution was set in com.apple.Boot.plist to 1920x1200x32 and remained as such during the test.

Firstly I got the NVenabler (64bit version) kext installed in my /E/E folder. Secondly I moved NVDAResman.kext from /S/L/E into a temporary folder without rebuilding the system kext cache. Reboot and the T61p came up fully recognizing the FX570m in the Graphics/Display list correctly showing FX570m as chipset model and 256MB VRAM. I've ran a Xbench and it's indeed accelerated in full resolution (change of resolution is obviously not possible).

After this I rebuilt the kext cache. What happend after reboot the GPU shows up in the Graphics/Displays again without model and only 32MB as earlier, however it's still accelerated. Pretty weird. Moving back the NVDAResman.kext into /S/L/E reproducibly disables accelaration again. Which can be re-enabled in the same way as explained. So the culprit here is clearly this one kext.

Eventually someone can figure out what exactly in NVDAResman leads to the problems and how to fix them. The 570m itself works fine without that kext.

Update: The same is possible with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 and setting of GraphicsEnabler to Yes after removal of NVDAResmon.kext. This even spits out some more info in the System Profiler. However as Apple disabled info about HW acceleration I ran the tests from http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/ to confirm. Chess and Screensaver both work, the ripple effect in the dashboard and Front Row however do not. Also a GLview benchmark remains disappointing. So some HW acceleration became available but not the full one. Still way better/faster than before.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are some good news for T61p owners and Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I've managed to get the FX570m working and accelerated, and it works in a very strange way/combination. The screen resolution was set in com.apple.Boot.plist to 1920x1200x32 and remained as such during the test.

Firstly I got the NVenabler (64bit version) kext installed in my /E/E folder. Secondly I moved NVDAResman.kext from /S/L/E into a temporary folder without rebuilding the system kext cache. Reboot and the T61p came up fully recognizing the FX570m in the Graphics/Display list correctly showing FX570m as chipset model and 256MB VRAM. I've ran a Xbench and it's indeed accelerated in full resolution (change of resolution is obviously not possible).

After this I rebuilt the kext cache. What happend after reboot the GPU shows up in the Graphics/Displays again without model and only 32MB as earlier, however it's still accelerated. Pretty weird. Moving back the NVDAResman.kext into /S/L/E reproducibly disables accelaration again. Which can be re-enabled in the same way as explained. So the culprit here is clearly this one kext.

Eventually someone can figure out what exactly in NVDAResman leads to the problems and how to fix them. The 570m itself works fine without that kext.

Update: The same is possible with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 and setting of GraphicsEnabler to Yes after removal of NVDAResmon.kext. This even spits out some more info in the System Profiler. However as Apple disabled info about HW acceleration I ran the tests from http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/ to confirm. Chess and Screensaver both work, the ripple effect in the dashboard and Front Row however do not. Also a GLview benchmark remains disappointing. So some HW acceleration became available but not the full one. Still way better/faster than before.

Great news mmaacc. Just out of curiosity what method did you use to install snow leopard?

Great news mmaacc. Just out of curiosity what method did you use to install snow leopard?
Vanilla install with harddisk taken out of the T61p and connect it to an MSI Wind and install from a USB drive to the T61 disk (the T61 hung always with second IDE channel KP when trying to install directly). I used a modified OSInstall.mpkg on the USB image to be able to install it using MBR partitioning with WinXP, Ubuntu (with Grub2 in the Linux partition) and SL with Chameleon2 RC4 in the active SL partition to multi-boot. Chameleon automatically detects XP and Grub.

Chameleon with GraphicsEnabler set to yes and Graphics Mode to 1920x1200x32 in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist then detects the FX 570m, but it will crash/hang if you still have the NVDAResman.kext in S/L/E, so remove that beforehand.