[HowTo] Increase free disc space + decrease load times!

Takuro

4 posts in this topic

Most files within your Apple system contain language packs for up to 14 languages. In some programs, such as in the iLife suite, unneeded language packs can take up gigabytes of space!

Disclaimer Note: Only do this if you are absolutely certain that you will only use OS X with one primary language setting (such as English.) This is NOT recommended if you plan on switching your language preferences.

First, unmount any drives on your system that you do not wish to scan and remove language packs from. If you have a partition/HDD with Windows on it, it's recommended that you unmount it first before proceeding.

Type the following into Terminal.app (found in the Utilities folder of your Applications directory)"

find / \! -name "English.lproj" -name "*.lproj" -type d -exec rm -r -- {} \;

The bold area is where you put the name of the language packs that you DO NOT wish to remove. All other packs that do not bear the name "English.lproj" (such as French.lproj or Spanish.lproj) will be removed when this terminal command finishes processing. In the above example, I removed all language packs from all files in my system that were not English.

This will free tons of space on your system. I saved 3.2 gb on my 18 gb drive when it was almost filled to the max. In addition, applications may tend to run quicker.

I'd also recommend running this logged in using "su root" so that in the future, all you need to do is log into terminal as "root" and search through the command history for quick access.

Just wanted to state that any application which has es.lproj fr.lproj ge.lproj instead of Spanish.lproj, French.lproj, German.lproj, etc. in its Contents will not work properly (in the best of cases, you will get no menu) if you follow this method for any language different from English.

An ideal script for this purpouse would check:

Are Language.lproj or lg.lproj present? (I think default OS X installation is not case sensitive, is it? In such case, changing -name for -iname would do the work for all possible combinatios). If they are, keep both (just in case), if they're not, keep English.lproj or en.lproj so that your app can still work.

Would try to improve it, but I'm not very skilled at shell scripting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...